• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There was a 39 later that ran to Easterhouse from the City Centre.

The 39 was a bit of a whacky one. It started at Sandyhills before heading for Baillieston lights and on to Easterhouse, Cranhill and did a tour of the east end before making its way to town. Took about over an hour to get into town don’t see how that was helpful if you started from Sandyhills you’d have just got the 61! It was run by the old AH CityBuses and Nothern Counties Palatine bodywork Olympians (Ex London and Manchester).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CM

Scotstoun need more deckers?

It's quite obvious that with the drastic PVR reductions due to the cutbacks that they'll move the newest and most fuel-efficient vehicles to where they are needed most. That is why at the moment there has been sightings of 18 branded vehicles on Scotstoun based routes etc.

Busman84

39 interworked with the 64.. The 51 was brought back when 138 got scrapped as the 38 got extended to Newton Mearns. That was around 2004 and the Mearns 38s interworked into the 213..

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
If I remember correctly the 51 did come back at some point I think the 139 might have been Sunday only with the baliston part .

39 also at one point only did Cranhill Watertower to Carntyne Square, although the destination was technically Queenslie

Cranhill is a bit of a wasteland that First have never properly capitalised on in recent years to the extent that large amount of people walk up to get the X19.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busman84

First did to a bus that ran from Baillieston to Easterhouse but that was an SPT tender than ran Monday to Saturday. When the 39 replaced the 51 late 2000s you had a 39A which instead of going along Duke St and Cumbernauld Rd it went along Wishart St and then The Parade.. There was a bus (maybe the 39) only ran Carntyne to Queenslie..

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the 39, I can remember pre-Overground that it ran from Glenraith Road in Craigend to Paisley via Gartloch Road, Cumbernauld Road, Queen Street and Central stations, and Paisley Road West.

This may have interworked with the 32 that used to run to Castlemilk via Parkhead and Fernhill Road.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Seeing all of the newer stock out on the roads makes me hopeful for First Glasgow’s future. With LEZ coming in to play and this pandemic it just shows how important looking after the environment really is.

I would like to see some changes to allocations (this is just my personal opinion). I think the 65 plate E400MMCs would be better used on city routes given they are stop start like the newer E400MMCs which are all used on city work. The refurbished B9TLs could be better utilised on motorway work. The 65 plate E400MMCs could see use on routes like the 60/60A to join vehicles of a similar age on the 41 (ex-FSE). The 2 and 3 could also use some deckers and if necessary adjust frequency to accommodate them. During the last few weeks they’ve been run with E400MMCs which suit the route well.

Routes like the 9/9A are major routes and could be doing with new/newer vehicles. It would be nice to see E200MMCs or E300s perhaps E400MMCs also. They could perhaps merge routes like the 57 and the 10 (separating them in 10A and 10B then adjust the frequency in order to introduce deckers on to the route permanently). I’ve seen this route get a lot of old tat in recent years due to a change in passenger numbers.

It’s impossible for every route to get new buses I understand that but the B7RLEs and B7TLs are well past it but are still being used on some of the main stream services. Perhaps concerting single deck operations to double deck operations and adjusting frequencies will free up some more stock. Hopefully this year the next order wipes out the B7RLEs and B7TLs.

overthewater

Established Member
Does that mean LEZ could be Deley? Lets be fair here Glasgow City centre will have the best Air Quality its had in decade, All it took was all the cars and lorries disappearing.. If only the council were that smart, to think of this themselves.

Bus Lightyear

There probably will not be any new buses this year.
I think you're right given the financial impact on the industry it's fair to say that orders for the next few years will be lower in quantity, industry wide (not just Glasgow), and City Councils therefore may have to review their own LEZ targets.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd imagine that there's going to be some severe cuts after this just to claw back some of the losses. Think we will see a drop in the frequency of most services tbh and a good few cuts too on services that are already at risk

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'd imagine that there's going to be some severe cuts after this just to claw back some of the losses. Think we will see a drop in the frequency of most services tbh and a good few cuts too on services that are already at risk

Don't think it'll be simply to claw back losses mind. There will be some long term damage to passenger figures anyway as people will have lost their jobs and/or there will be an increase in home working/internet shopping.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
So if we all agree that there will be major cuts to help with losses and the long term drop in demand.

What do we all think the cuts will be ;
I.e. what routes will be lost , frequency cut

I see the following scrapped ;
60A
1c/d
X2
4a
X4
8a
X8
M11
34/a
M69
All either seeing major cuts if not complete cancellation

olddriver

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was a Larkfield driver 15-odd years ago and was thinking about getting back into it, if there are vacancies once Covid is over. I had a few questions that I hoped someone could help with:

1. With Larkfield/Parkhead/Cumbernauld being one depot now, are new drivers expected to learn all routes or are they still three different depots or ‘groups of drivers’ at an operational level?

2. I presume the Cumbernauld driver changeover points are at BBS but what about the Parkhead ones? Are they still in the East End and, if so, do you make your own way there or are their minibuses, taxis, etc.?

3. Does anyone know what the top driver rate is now? In my time there, I believe it was 8.75, 9.30, 10.05, then £10.35 top rate. I think the starter rate is now £10 so logic tells me the top rate must be £11-12. Am I close?

Thanks in advance.

route101

Established Member
So if we all agree that there will be major cuts to help with losses and the long term drop in demand.

60A
1c/d
X2
4a
X4
8a
X8
M11
34/a
M69

Cant see the 1 c/d or 34 scrapped. 34 served hospital and s important link across southside.

4A serves Eaglesham , the 4 to Mearns is more at risk.

route101

Established Member
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was a Larkfield driver 15-odd years ago and was thinking about getting back into it, if there are vacancies once Covid is over. I had a few questions that I hoped someone could help with:

1. With Larkfield/Parkhead/Cumbernauld being one depot now, are new drivers expected to learn all routes or are they still three different depots or ‘groups of drivers’ at an operational level?

2. I presume the Cumbernauld driver changeover points are at BBS but what about the Parkhead ones? Are they still in the East End and, if so, do you make your own way there or are their minibuses, taxis, etc.?

3. Does anyone know what the top driver rate is now? In my time there, I believe it was 8.75, 9.30, 10.05, then £10.35 top rate. I think the starter rate is now £10 so logic tells me the top rate must be £11-12. Am I close?

Thanks in advance.

1) They are all seperate, ex Cumbernauld are FG no 2. Pretty sure the drivers are 3 different groups. Does amaze me some drivers have no idea of routes they dont do. Must be a few drivers that know all the routes , switched depots etc.

2) Yeah, BBS for Cumby , also i think they do 64 or 65 and change at osborne st , thought that Parkhead routes. Parkhead changeovers ive seen just before Forge Retail park and on Duke st at Hovis .

overthewater

Established Member
This is pure fantasy at the moment, what losses are these? there was only two week period where the buses were quiet, Since the lockdown started Scottish Government has been paying for the services. We can also not prodict if they will be long term loses, the same can be said about Subway or the trains.

60A
1c/d
X2
4a
X4
8a
X8
M11
34/a
M69

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

60A
1c/d
X2
4a
X4
8a
X8
M11
34/a
M69

The X8 is busy especially at peak time it can fill a decker. It’s probably the quickest way to Silverburn so don’t see them cutting that.

Also the 34A services the QEUH and that sees good numbers also so doubt they’ll touch that.

Stan Drews

Established Member
This is pure fantasy at the moment, what losses are these? there was only two week period where the buses were quiet, Since the lockdown started Scottish Government has been paying for the services. We can also not prodict if they will be long term loses, the same can be said about Subway or the trains.
The Scottish Government isn’t “paying for the services”. They have simply agreed to maintain the ‘normal’ BSOG and Concessionary reimbursement payment levels. I don’t think any bus service in the country will be making any profit, even considering the financial assistance from the Government.

lastbus

The Scottish Government isn’t “paying for the services”. They have simply agreed to maintain the ‘normal’ BSOG and Concessionary reimbursement payment levels. I don’t think any bus service in the country will be making any profit, even considering the financial assistance from the Government.
They are paying the normal levels of concession money based on the previous 3 months claims. Given the level of service being provided just now it’s safe to say the buses are not running at a loss and are effectively being paid for by the government.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Exactly, :D Swings and roundabouts.

Yes and no.

At the moment, the government is basically underwriting the bus industry and so they are able to weather the current storm. So there's no profiteering and no great losses.

The issue will come in the longer term when we begin to exit this period and the hopefully return to some semblance of normality. First of all, will we be in a recession like few of us can recall? Contrary to some observers, bus companies don't do well in recessions. Will we also see a shift in both work patterns (more WFH) and greater levels of internet shopping, especially for groceries?

In short, there's no way that any of us could've predicted this happening 6 months ago unless, of course, you wear a turquoise shell suit. Therefore, how things will look in another 6 months is anybody's guess - emphasis on the final word!! Therefore, if people are proposing what may happen, I might have a business opportunity for them. It involves a friend of mine from the Nigerian oil ministry.....

Stan Drews

Established Member
They are paying the normal levels of concession money based on the previous 3 months claims. Given the level of service being provided just now it’s safe to say the buses are not running at a loss and are effectively being paid for by the government.
If you believe that, I hope you’re not reliant on a bus operator for your continued employment.

lastbus

That’s probably wise, as you appear to be completely missing the point.

...oh, and the headline in that article is not accurate, as you’ll see if you read the story.
What’s not accurate about it? They are getting the projected concession money even though they ain’t picking them up!
Also the majority of staff are on furlough so only the staff at work are costing the company money added to that a lot of vehicles have been SORN’d to save on road tax and the newest buses are being used to save on fuel costs so it’s not all the doom and gloom you’ve predicted.

Last edited:

awsnews

What’s not accurate about it? They are getting the projected concession money even though they ain’t picking them up!
Also the majority of staff are on furlough so only the staff at work are costing the company money added to that a lot of vehicles have been SORN’d to save on road tax and the newest buses are being used to save on fuel costs so it’s not all the doom and gloom you’ve predicted.
I am sure operators won't miss the income they would have received from fare paying passengers at all.