• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

I am sure operators won't miss the income they would have received from fare paying passengers at all.
Never said that of course they will but concession money is a big portion of the income and they are still getting that for operating around 1/5 of the normal service if that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Never said that of course they will but concession money is a big portion of the income and they are still getting that for operating around 1/5 of the normal service if that.

From memory, about 40 to 50% of passenger journeys are concessions. That's what the operators are getting paid for. Remember that these are generally under-recompensed anyway so the operators are more dependent on those fare paying passengers and they are scarcer. Yes, they still get the BSOG based on what they would have operated but that's a contribution to overall costs.

If they're operating 1/5 of the service, they're not escaping 80% of the costs; there are still fixed costs like properties, utilities, depreciation of the fleet that are still being incurred, or minimum levels of those back office people. Passenger levels are at 10-12% of normal figures.

In short, if companies across the sector are able to staunch the losses, they are doing well.

overthewater

Established Member
I do think most companies will managed to break even during this period especially if the income is going on everything else bar the wages. On certain routes your still getting the same amount of money for less freq service carrying fresh air ( at times I have seen some busy runs)

On top of that as you said TGW we dont know what coming down the road, but It's clear that some major income streams for this year have disappeared, in Scotland alone.. like Airports, Highland show, Edinburgh festival, rewind, Scottish Grand national, SSE Hydro events, Radio 1 big weekend, Kiltwalks. So there clear going to be some hits in profits for 2020/21... but it's also unclear if Working from home will become common place, its also unclear if the shift in new jobs will all disappear, like Amazon, Supermarkets etc a good number of these people still use the buses.

WE could have bad reseccion then suddenly have the biggest boom in the economy ever, however that will not help any bus company recope the lost work as eg above.

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
What’s not accurate about it? They are getting the projected concession money even though they ain’t picking them up!
Also the majority of staff are on furlough so only the staff at work are costing the company money added to that a lot of vehicles have been SORN’d to save on road tax and the newest buses are being used to save on fuel costs so it’s not all the doom and gloom you’ve predicted.
What happened to “say no more” :D:D

The headline says the “government will reimburse bus companies for Coronavirus losses”, which is not accurate.

First and McGills are accepting tickets on the first services 1/1a and 1d and mcgills 757 between dalmuir and clydebank from tomorrow

Scott mac

Noticed from today the 34a is being run as a double decker route low height e400 are on it

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I find that interesting as ive never seen these low heights on the 34 before.

CM

I find that interesting as ive never seen these low heights on the 34 before.

The 34 used to be operated by the low height Leyland Olympians back in the day quite regularly. Plenty of photos on Flickr.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 34 used to be operated by the low height Leyland Olympians back in the day quite regularly. Plenty of photos on Flickr.

I wonder why they haven’t considered having a few low height E400s on the 34 especially during peak times. They seem to have favoured singles for so long. Especially given the E400s have strayed from the 6 quite regularly in recent years.

route101

Established Member
I wonder why they haven’t considered having a few low height E400s on the 34 especially during peak times. They seem to have favoured singles for so long. Especially given the E400s have strayed from the 6 quite regularly in recent years.

Maybe they only just checked that a low height can fit under that bridge. Dont think any of the low heights should be straying off the 6.

CM

Maybe they only just checked that a low height can fit under that bridge. Dont think any of the low heights should be straying off the 6.

I doubt that very much, as I said, the 34 was regularly operated by low height Olympians before they were withdrawn so they definitely know that a low height decker will fit. It's more likely that these days there isn't enough demand to warrant operating double deckers on the route.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

They do though and have been for years. The 6 was mainly being made up from singles before this pandemic.

Bus Lightyear

I doubt that very much, as I said, the 34 was regularly operated by low height Olympians before they were withdrawn so they definitely know that a low height decker will fit. It's more likely that these days there isn't enough demand to warrant operating double deckers on the route.
I remember it going via Shawmoss Street thus permitting the use of Atlanteans and Ailsas.

Scott mac

The low height olympians never went under that bridge

NorthClyde320

The 34 was regularly operated by a variety of deckers as it used to avoid the low bridge it was then converted to a higher frequency minibus operation and rerouted under the low bridge. I remember this from Buses magazine some years ago, it showed a pic of an L-UNS Olympian with one of the Merc Vario's that replaced the deckers.

Busman84

When the Merc Vitos arrived (I think 2001/2) the 34 route was changed to operate along Titwood Road. Before that the 34 operated via Shawmoss Road/Haggs Road and interworked with the 37 changing at Castlemilk.

Scott mac

I'm pretty sure at some point they would have as there is plenty of photos of them on the 34 on Flickr.
No bud they never had their was a other company which ran in competition with first so first then made the 34 minibus only and changed the route so it could follow the other company

PaulMc7

Established Member
Just had a glance at the app and it seems like things are now up to speed on it. Tracking the last 2 of the night here no bother from the latest timetables

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Maybe with the 34/A it could be become just the 34 serving both the hospital and govan bus station

And with the 9 currently suspended I dont think any route is protected

route101

Established Member
Maybe with the 34/A it could be become just the 34 serving both the hospital and govan bus station

And with the 9 currently suspended I dont think any route is protected

Dont some evening 34s serve both the hospital and Govan?