• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Stef434

Speaking from experience as a Controller and Scheduler at First ,Schedulers will compile a route where the Operating Company has buses to service the said route,(if not buses will be sourced from other OpCos on a like for like basis ,much like Argos)the Controller will have a great local knowledge of low bridges as per the Bridge Mate programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

awsnews

Do you have a list?
They are all on here, including further changes to other services :
Too much to easily cut/paste and edit from on a phone screen.

overthewater

Established Member

Brimfulofasha

I am a key worker who also works shifts. The revised timetable mostly works for me (57 curtailed prior to my area, but 87 every half hour weekdays and every hour evenings and weekends). Whilst most journeys are quiet, e.g. I can be the only passenger sometimes coming home from a back shift and often have the upper deck to myself, there are some, particularly in the middle of the day that can be busy. Social-distancing was impossible on one last week due to the number of folk getting on at St Rollox. And it was busy today too - one man chose to sit on the seat opposite me, despite others being available! o_O

Is First Glasgow monitoring passenger numbers on specific routes? First Bus UK seemed to indicate that most timetables were settled for the time-being but as the streets seem busier and more businesses are talking about re-opening, I am concerned that commuting may become unsafe.

lastbus

I am a key worker who also works shifts. The revised timetable mostly works for me (57 curtailed prior to my area, but 87 every half hour weekdays and every hour evenings and weekends). Whilst most journeys are quiet, e.g. I can be the only passenger sometimes coming home from a back shift and often have the upper deck to myself, there are some, particularly in the middle of the day that can be busy. Social-distancing was impossible on one last week due to the number of folk getting on at St Rollox. And it was busy today too - one man chose to sit on the seat opposite me, despite others being available! o_O

Is First Glasgow monitoring passenger numbers on specific routes? First Bus UK seemed to indicate that most timetables were settled for the time-being but as the streets seem busier and more businesses are talking about re-opening, I am concerned that commuting may become unsafe.
There will be something happening soon regarding social distancing on bus. 1 passenger per 2 seats unless from same household and bus will be deemed full once these seats have been taken.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There will be something happening soon regarding social distancing on bus. 1 passenger per 2 seats unless from same household and bus will be deemed full once these seats have been taken.

I'm guessing that'll mean service levels will need to increase then? Only way to not leave people very annoyed if they can't get on a bus especially involving services every 30mins or worse

Brimfulofasha

Thanks, that's good to know. At this moment, on my personal bus again - sole passenger! Only saw 3 others in the entire bus station: one waiting for the 88 (blank yellow branding), one boarding the 9A, and one waiting in the Stagecoach section. The X3 and one of the Lanarkshire buses left empty. Still surreal!

overthewater

Established Member

First Bus has said social distancing will be "unsustainable" as the Covid-19 lockdown is eased.

The operator, which employs more than 3,200 people in Scotland, was responsible for 120 million passenger journeys last year.

Under the restrictions introduced to slow the spread of the virus, demand for its services has fallen by 85%.

First Bus said it would not be possible to run enough buses to comply with the current rules.

Many buses currently have seats taped off to keep passengers apart.

Parked buses

The company's commercial director Graeme MacFarlane said: "Going forward it's going to be a challenge.

"Because as demand increases and we need to observe social distancing guidelines we do have to put more resource out.

"That means more buses, which is more costly so that is unsustainable in the longer period."

Transport Secretary Michael Matheson told the Good Morning Scotland programme that travel would not be returning to normal.

"We will have to change our behaviour while social distancing remains in place," he said.

"So the transport system is not going to be able to provide all of the normal capacity that people would expect to be there."

'Defining moment'
Rival operator Stagecoach has, meanwhile, called for the tragedy of Covid-19 to be a "defining moment" that leads to a transformed society with greater emphasis on sustainable transport.

Chief executive Martin Griffiths said: "Among all the human tragedy, the pandemic has given us a window on what could be a positive future world - one with dramatically fewer cars on our roads, safer streets, cleaner air and less damage to our environment."

He added: "There is no reason why we all cannot return to safely using Britain's most important public transport mode.

"Transitional support is an investment that will pay back many times over in helping our citizens, communities, economies and planet recover."

Stagecoach has drawn up a six-point plan which includes a call for road and street space to be prioritised for "walking, cycling and high capacity public transport over private cars".

The operator said that many single-user car trips, which it called "the transport equivalent of disposable plastic bags", should be replaced by public transport in urban locations.

route101

Established Member
Thanks, that's good to know. At this moment, on my personal bus again - sole passenger! Only saw 3 others in the entire bus station: one waiting for the 88 (blank yellow branding), one boarding the 9A, and one waiting in the Stagecoach section. The X3 and one of the Lanarkshire buses left empty. Still surreal!

Was out on Monday, seen quite a few at bus stops waiting in places .

Jordan Adam

Established Member

I think for the "time-being" they were more implying in the short term as through March and April timetables were changing almost every Monday. Provided there's not a second spike in cases/deaths any future service changes will be additional buses and frequencies increasing as passenger numbers are already starting to rise.

I'm guessing that'll mean service levels will need to increase then? Only way to not leave people very annoyed if they can't get on a bus especially involving services every 30mins or worse

Yes probably. Although if numbers rise too much as First have quite accurately pointed out it will become impossible to maintain social distancing measures as there simple isn't the vehicles, drivers or funds.

lastbus

I think for the "time-being" they were more implying in the short term as through March and April timetables were changing almost every Monday. Provided there's not a second spike in cases/deaths any future service changes will be additional buses and frequencies increasing as passenger numbers are already starting to rise.

Yes probably. Although if numbers rise too much as First have quite accurately pointed out it will become impossible to maintain social distancing measures as there simple isn't the vehicles, drivers or funds.
They have the vehicles and staff to run the network as it was pre COVID. What they don’t have is the ability to carry the same passenger numbers as before if social distancing is to be maintained due to the capacity of their vehicles being reduced. This will be a problem throughout the industry not just in Glasgow. Passenger numbers will obviously need to be monitored once the network returns to some normality however I cannot see the passenger numbers being the same as pre COVID for a while due to the number of people who will lose their jobs as a result of this and I would also expect some people to continue to work from home where possible.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They have the vehicles and staff to run the network as it was pre COVID. What they don’t have is the ability to carry the same passenger numbers as before if social distancing is to be maintained due to the capacity of their vehicles being reduced. This will be a problem throughout the industry not just in Glasgow. Passenger numbers will obviously need to be monitored once the network returns to some normality however I cannot see the passenger numbers being the same as pre COVID for a while due to the number of people who will lose their jobs as a result of this and I would also expect some people to continue to work from home where possible.

Yes that was more my point, they eventually won't have enough resources to enhance the services to the require levels to maintain social distancing measures.

Volvodart

Established Member
Plus the problem of not making money from about half full buses, if that is what is required, unless there is support.

overthewater

Established Member

Plans to implement low emission zones (LEZs) in Scotland’s four largest cities have been put on hold due to COVID-19, the transport secretary announced today.
Michael Matheson announced the decision to temporarily pause their introduction, which was planned as a way of reducing air pollution in the cities, due to the impact of coronavirus on local authorities.
He said it was "no longer practicable” to introduce the zones by the end of the year due to “necessary changes to priorities” for the Scottish Government and local authorities.
has been blasted by campaigners and health charities for avoiding an "urgent need" to reduce air pollution in Scotland's cities as claims of links between exposure to air pollution and a heightened risk of suffering a severe infection of COVID-19.

The decision was made by the Low Emission Zone Leadership Group which includes the transport secretary, climate change secretary Roseanna Cunningham, and representatives from local authorities, Public Health Scotland, and SEPA.
The Government added that COVID-19 has given it the chance to learn lessons about air pollution and to “consider the kind of transport systems we want to see return to our cities” after the virus is suppressed.
Mr Matheson said the pause could see a change to how LEZs are rolled out and designed, but that funding for businesses and council planning for their implementation will continue.
In a statement, Mr Matheson said: “The Scottish Government is fully committed to tackling air pollution in the quickest time possible. The unprecedented impact of the COVID–19 outbreak has resulted in necessary changes to priorities across government and across our local authority partners.

LEZ isnt coming into effect this year, however Friends of the Earth Scotland’s clearly are idiots, How do they expect the unbuild buses to operate?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Public transport is going to change no matter what. People thinking we are going to come out of this and return to normality as we knew it are seriously deluded. There will be a new normal which will affect everything and in particular in this setting, public transport will suffer imo. Already you hear people talk of how they’d completely avoid public transport if they could to avoid having to sit enclosed in large groups. Some people have no option but for many I think numbers will massively dwindle.

I can see a lot of older stock probably never working for FIG again. Frequencies will probably be slashed and routes which previously were busy will get quieter until people start to trust going out again. This may be a good way to get rid of some older stock and try and operate as many Euro 6 buses as possible. The way the service has been run just now can’t last forever once lockdown ends but I think people will be very wary for a long time after this.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I was on 4 buses on Thursday as I had an interview (1A,267,7A and 1C) all single decker and the first 3 were okay for social distancing but the 1C definitely wasn't. Even with 13/14 people on the bus I had someone directly infront of me and behind me and I didn't feel remotely comfortable as it definitely wasn't social distancing. I feel like others would be feeling similar and if they have an option that isn't bus they'd probably use it.

smtglasgow

It’s a nightmare situation for operators – can’t see any option other than more government support. Anyone who can avoid buses will, so revenue will be down. But enough people will need to use the bus to mean that extra vehicles will be needed to meet the social distancing guidelines. Longer term I don’t see home working having too big an effect on buses (I’m stereotyping, but it’s easier for professionals to homework, and they tend to use the train). But public transport in general will take a long time to recover, so as soon as we get out of the immediate crisis, I’d expect most bus operators to look at trimming their networks – and probably a lot more than trimming. I wonder if First pulling out of Paisley temporarily is a straw in the wind , and we’ll see a reduction in competition across the board.

CM

I was on 4 buses on Thursday as I had an interview (1A,267,7A and 1C) all single decker and the first 3 were okay for social distancing but the 1C definitely wasn't. Even with 13/14 people on the bus I had someone directly infront of me and behind me and I didn't feel remotely comfortable as it definitely wasn't social distancing. I feel like others would be feeling similar and if they have an option that isn't bus they'd probably use it.

If you weren't comfortable then why not simply move seats?

Brimfulofasha

96731255.jpg
(photo shows a close-up of the social distancing signage provided by First on one of their buses)

96101343.jpg
(photo shows top level of a double decker with social distancing signage in place)

Took these this morning on the 87 - my return bus (57) in the afternoon didn't have them, so looks like they're being phased in.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So it is only seat removed from each set? or is there a gap?
It looks like it's one seat per pair that's marked - if you look between the gap in the front pair you can make out a little bit of yellow.

Brimfulofasha

It looks like it's one seat per pair that's marked - if you look between the gap in the front pair you can make out a little bit of yellow.

Yeah, generally one person per pair with no apparent gaps between pairs. Some were left free intended for people travelling together, e.g. the front right pair with the stairs behind.

So it Zig zags then?

Or chequered?

That's for the top deck only, not sure about the bottom. But a very rough reduction in capacity of 50%