• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Stan_Butler

I see Stuart’s of Carluke have taken over the 230. Is this permanent or just while the temporary covid timetables are in place?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Observer

It is temporary as it has happened to some other services as well if you search for May 2020 on the SPT timetables page.

Other than the McNairn's contracts SPT have given the work to different operators for the time being, mostly Shuttle Buses except for the 230, 59 and M4.

Last edited:

SarahDFIG

Hello all, I would like confirm that this years order of new vehicles has indeed been cancelled. Obviously a lot of you would have guessed this already but thought I would let you all know.

In other news, nothing else to report apart from the workshops/paint shop working hard repairing vehicles that are off the road and getting an good few painted into the new livery.

Thanks and stay safe

route101

Established Member
Hello all, I would like confirm that this years order of new vehicles has indeed been cancelled. Obviously a lot of you would have guessed this already but thought I would let you all know.

In other news, nothing else to report apart from the workshops/paint shop working hard repairing vehicles that are off the road and getting an good few painted into the new livery.

Thanks and stay safe

Does that mean that they are cancelled for good? Or delayed , not coming this year?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I take it as meaning no new deliveries for the rest of 2020, new deliveries will resume in 2021.

I imagine the 2022 target will probably be pushed back thus delaying everything by a year. Although who knows if it’ll be longer depending on how things work out.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Thanks and stay safe

Nice to see they’re getting on with repaints however it would be a good time to give the buses a good deep internal clean. Particularly the eclipses could be doing with a good tidy up as well as seat retrims for many buses including the low height E400s which are shocking inside.

overthewater

Established Member
I imagine the 2022 target will probably be pushed back thus delaying everything by a year. Although who knows if it’ll be longer depending on how things work out.

They way Edinburgh and Glasgow CC are acting at the moment the LEZ might still go fully online in jan 2022, with only the bus sector getting the extra year. The councils are seeing all the nice clean air and must be thinking, sod it lets keep going, ( the only reason buses will get a delay is because the factory is shut)

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They way Edinburgh and Glasgow CC are acting at the moment the LEZ might still go fully online in jan 2022, with only the bus sector getting the extra year. The councils are seeing all the nice clean air and must be thinking, sod it lets keep going, ( the only reason buses will get a delay is because the factory is shut)

I must say it’s been so nice to see such new buses on the road doing wonders for the air. Definitely makes a change of from Euro 3 B7TLs roaring the streets with their loud fans. It would be nice if eventually Glasgow was overrun by newer stock rather than dated tat from the 00s.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I must say it’s been so nice to see such new buses on the road doing wonders for the air. Definitely makes a change of from Euro 3 B7TLs roaring the streets with their loud fans. It would be nice if eventually Glasgow was overrun by newer stock rather than dated tat from the 00s.

Yes - there's many other places that would also share that sentiment; not least First Essex who have started to receive Euro 3 B7TLs to replace their oldest fleet!!!

First Glasgow have received a lot of new fleet and will doubtless get a load more in due course, though the number and timescale will obviously have changed in the light of a global pandemic.

Volvodart

Established Member
If they are only expecting around 80% of the passengers to return, long term, they would not need so many new buses to meet the target anyway.

overthewater

Established Member
The way City centres are going most people will have no choice but to switch to public transport.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I don’t know how Edinburgh and Glasgow LEZs are being funded but if they are reliant on Government money I would have my doubts if the anticipated cash would be forthcoming given how the economy is being wrecked at the moment. Certainly in my area the approved LEZ is delayed or possibly may be watered down.

overthewater

Established Member
I don’t know how Edinburgh and Glasgow LEZs are being funded but if they are reliant on Government money I would have my doubts if the anticipated cash would be forthcoming given how the economy is being wrecked at the moment. Certainly in my area the approved LEZ is delayed or possibly may be watered down.

Both Cities have been rather clever and took the money that has been given out for new social distancing spacing to implement long term changes to the city, including new cycle ways, bus gates wider paths. none of these will dissappear once this is over..

There will probably be less need to visit the city centre anyway, with the amount of shops that may not reopen again.
Silverburn, Fort and Braehead will be laughing,

Stan Drews

Established Member
Both Cities have been rather clever and took the money that has been given out for new social distancing spacing to implement long term changes to the city, including new cycle ways, bus gates wider paths. none of these will dissappear once this is over..

Silverburn, Fort and Braehead will be laughing,
Really?
Intu, the owners of Braehead was in major financial difficulties BEFORE this all happened. Therefore, not sure they’ll be laughing too much!

smtglasgow

I think First (and everybody else) will simply be focusing on keeping their heads above water at the moment. The great unknown isn’t just the impact of Coronavirus, it’s the recession (depression?) that has already begun. It’s a grim prospect for operators, so fleet/PVR reductions are nailed on. Yes we’ll get new buses, but probably not for a few years – this isn’t just some short-term blip.

overthewater

Established Member
Really?
Intu, the owners of Braehead was in major financial difficulties BEFORE this all happened. Therefore, not sure they’ll be laughing too much!

I forgot about that, but with everything that is going on what can I say, but Silverburn and the Fort will be laughing.

I think First (and everybody else) will simply be focusing on keeping their heads above water at the moment. The great unknown isn’t just the impact of Coronavirus, it’s the recession (depression?) that has already begun. It’s a grim prospect for operators, so fleet/PVR reductions are nailed on. Yes we’ll get new buses, but probably not for a few years – this isn’t just some short-term blip.

I'm not that pessimistic, yes the dip will be hard but I believe the rise will be sharp.

route101

Established Member
Nice to see they’re getting on with repaints however it would be a good time to give the buses a good deep internal clean. Particularly the eclipses could be doing with a good tidy up as well as seat retrims for many buses including the low height E400s which are shocking inside.

Not seen any eclipses out , they all off the road?

route101

Established Member
Had to make essential journey earlier. On 6 and 38 . Must say 2 of my buses were quite busy . Wonder when we will see the frequenacny upped .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Had to make essential journey earlier. On 6 and 38 . Must say 2 of my buses were quite busy . Wonder when we will see the frequenacny upped .

Will need to be asap I think. Seems to be the general thing on most services that passenger numbers are increasing fairly quickly. Definitely seen more people say they've went back to work this week than previous weeks

route101

Established Member
Will need to be asap I think. Seems to be the general thing on most services that passenger numbers are increasing fairly quickly. Definitely seen more people say they've went back to work this week than previous weeks

Like to see the 31 come back up to EK , dont have a car so getting to jobs is tricky. Noticed quite a few older people on bus today.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Out of interest how many people?

I agree but without additional funding operators will only be able to increase services so much.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Out of interest how many people?

I agree but without additional funding operators will only be able to increase services so much.

Yeah I agree. If they could even get the every hour services up to half hour and 30 mins up to 20 it would be a big help but requires a lot of extra drivers etc

lastbus

Trying to obtain funding just now. By Monday more routes will be operated by double deckers where necessary as capacity will be reduced by the social distancing measures coming in. Company are aware of passenger loadings increasing. Some double deckers being prepped this week for a return to service. Frequency will increase where required. Destination screens being updated so driver can show bus full due to social distancing when all seats are taken. Messages will be going on social media informing passengers to be prepared to wait if their bus is at capacity.