• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
Depends what they do, if only around 80% of the fleet is envisaged to be operating in the long term, they could either, more likely, reduce the amount of new buses coming or the amount of conversions.

Brimfulofasha

Destination screens being updated so driver can show bus full due to social distancing when all seats are taken.

I remember in my university days (2003-07) when bus usage was much higher and it was common for me to stand on Cathedral Street at certain times with multiple buses passing by without stopping due to being full. At the time I thought it would be good if they could display a 'bus full' message so as to avoid you standing there with your hand out in vain. Of course it became unnecessary I guess due to the 2008 financial crisis and decline in bus usage; I don't think that has happened to me in years.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I remember in my university days (2003-07) when bus usage was much higher and it was common for me to stand on Cathedral Street at certain times with multiple buses passing by without stopping due to being full. At the time I thought it would be good if they could display a 'bus full' message so as to avoid you standing there with your hand out in vain. Of course it became unnecessary I guess due to the 2008 financial crisis and decline in bus usage; I don't think that has happened to me in years.

A "bus full" message would have been great over the last few years for the 1s and 2s down my way. Even just before lockdown the reliability was so bad that they turned up full quite regularly even outside of peaks

route101

Established Member
Trying to obtain funding just now. By Monday more routes will be operated by double deckers where necessary as capacity will be reduced by the social distancing measures coming in. Company are aware of passenger loadings increasing. Some double deckers being prepped this week for a return to service. Frequency will increase where required. Destination screens being updated so driver can show bus full due to social distancing when all seats are taken. Messages will be going on social media informing passengers to be prepared to wait if their bus is at capacity.

Its the waiting bit . Especially for older people. And if the buses are half hourly or hourly .

route101

Established Member
A "bus full" message would have been great over the last few years for the 1s and 2s down my way. Even just before lockdown the reliability was so bad that they turned up full quite regularly even outside of peaks

If the new buses can do bus reversing ha

Jordan Adam

Established Member

I'm actually surprised First Glasgow don't have "bus full" displays already. It's something Aberdeen have always had...

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm actually surprised First Glasgow don't have "bus full" displays already. It's something Aberdeen have always had...

Yeah it would have been a sensible thing for here given how unreliable our buses are capable of being. They end up full a lot at peaks and outside of that sometimes too

lastbus

Its the waiting bit . Especially for older people. And if the buses are half hourly or hourly .
Duplicate buses will be available and double deckers used where possible. 201 and 240 will be double deckers from next week.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Route changes to the 1,1A,1D and 205 to allow bigger buses to be used. On the website now

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I imagine seeing the return of a lot of B7TLs. Perhaps some of the low height E400s might make their way to Lanarkshire to be on the safe side.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Surely deckers should have been used on busy routes from the beginning before COVID-19. I don’t know what First’s fascination was for having single deck stock on their core services. The 2, 3 and 9 should all be deckers. Hopefully in the long term movements are made to accommodate this.

Scotrail88

Surely deckers should have been used on busy routes from the beginning before COVID-19. I don’t know what First’s fascination was for having single deck stock on their core services. The 2, 3 and 9 should all be deckers. Hopefully in the long term movements are made to accommodate this.

where do you envisage these deckers coming from?
something would need to convert to single decker in its place.

post social distancing - whenever that may be - I doubt that deckers will be a requirement for many routes

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do think the 2 should have been double decker operated far more than it has been in recent years say with even an every 10 min frequency. The 3 is a strange one because it's the reliability that absolutely kills it. It's either mobbed or fairly empty from my experiences. The 6 certainly west of the city centre isn't anywhere near as busy as it was just after simplicity and I found at times that even at peaks it wasn't overly busy

route101

Established Member
I do think the 2 should have been double decker operated far more than it has been in recent years say with even an every 10 min frequency. The 3 is a strange one because it's the reliability that absolutely kills it. It's either mobbed or fairly empty from my experiences. The 6 certainly west of the city centre isn't anywhere near as busy as it was just after simplicity and I found at times that even at peaks it wasn't overly busy

Yeah the 3 was often delayed from Silverburn , key route though. Used to be every 15 mins when it was 23.

lastbus

Wonder how dupes will work .
Spare buses will be placed in main areas. Control will contact their drivers through ticketer when there is a bus nearing or at capacity that needs assistance. Ticketer is being updated so the driver and control will know when the bus is at or near capacity. Loadings will be monitored daily with a view to increasing frequency if required.

ginge8991

Will this be the first time deckers have been used on full journeys (not peak time shorts) on the former 204/215/216 Corridor?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Will this be the first time deckers have been used on full journeys (not peak time shorts) on the former 204/215/216 Corridor?

I've seen 1 decker on a Helensburgh 1B but other than that I think it might be the first time where they'll be used on all services on that route set