• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

awsnews

Will this be the first time deckers have been used on full journeys (not peak time shorts) on the former 204/215/216 Corridor?
Yes, in addition to Kilbowie Bridge until recently you couldn't get a decker around the Vale Hospital due to a low walkway.
When Dumbarton had some local school contracts a double often appeared on the single 1B in the morning which only does Helensburgh to Dumbarton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm guessing that there won't be timetable changes on Monday? Makes sense I guess given that we could go into Phase 1 on Thursday meaning more buses would be needed then anyway so it's pointless changing timetables twice in 4 days. Also allows for better planning if there's no changes until Thursday

Scotrail88

I'm guessing that there won't be timetable changes on Monday? Makes sense I guess given that we could go into Phase 1 on Thursday meaning more buses would be needed then anyway so it's pointless changing timetables twice in 4 days. Also allows for better planning if there's no changes until Thursday
If you read the roadmap from government, there will be no increase in public transport until phase 2

Peoples travel requirements shouldn’t really change if they follow the guidelines

PaulMc7

Established Member
If you read the roadmap from government, there will be no increase in public transport until phase 2

Peoples travel requirements shouldn’t really change if they follow the guidelines

Seems to be an increase in public transport usage already going by what the general online chat is and that's where the problem is. I think it'll be needed before phase 2 personally as some employers will probably make staff go into work earlier than the phase they should and if usage is already close to maximum of what first is allowing there's only one option.

Also seems to be more and more older people out too who need to go for shopping etc too although that's unavoidable given how quickly delivery slots get snapped up

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Seems to be an increase in public transport usage already going by what the general online chat is and that's where the problem is. I think it'll be needed before phase 2 personally as some employers will probably make staff go into work earlier than the phase they should and if usage is already close to maximum of what first is allowing there's only one option.

Also seems to be more and more older people out too who need to go for shopping etc too although that's unavoidable given how quickly delivery slots get snapped up

On some routes needs to be an increase !

PaulMc7

Established Member
On some routes needs to be an increase !

Unless a service was hourly before lockdown then it needs to be every 30/40 mins at worst for services. I don't really see double deckers being enough and unless there's a lot of extra buses being set up which I doubt there is then there's going to be problems very quickly

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
One thing that I've been talking to Ticketer/First about this week is trying to get the passenger loading data linked up to their mobile apps. This is something I would envisage as being beneficial (especially on routes of lower frequency) as passengers would know how full their bus is before it arrives, and would also allow passengers to identify quieter buses to travel on.

PaulMc7

Established Member
One thing that I've been talking to Ticketer/First about this week is trying to get the passenger loading data linked up to their mobile apps. This is something I would envisage as being beneficial (especially on routes of lower frequency) as passengers would know how full their bus is before it arrives, and would also allow passengers to identify quieter buses to travel on.

Absolutely agree with this. Not sure how easy it would be to implement given how long it took the timetables themselves to be updated on the mobile app but it would take away a bit of the customer stress

route101

Established Member
Unless a service was hourly before lockdown then it needs to be every 30/40 mins at worst for services. I don't really see double deckers being enough and unless there's a lot of extra buses being set up which I doubt there is then there's going to be problems very quickly

Up to every 20 mins , think its just the busier of the main routes that are busier if that makes sense.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Up to every 20 mins , think its just the busier of the main routes that are busier if that makes sense.

Yeah from what I've experienced and seen the core routes are really picking up numbers but everything else seems to be creeping up too

Brimfulofasha

As a follow-up to my earlier post with pictures, the taping had been reconfigured on both my buses last night and this morning (was on night shift), with only window-seats now available and every second row. So of 45 seats on the upper deck of a E400MMC, only 12 are untaped, with no doubles left free for couples.

Also, so strange seeing Geminis out and about again! Had become used to seeing E400MMCs on almost all routes! And strange seeing double-deckers at the Lanarkshire corner of Buchanan Bus Station.

I still don't see how running buses at this level of demand is profitable - e.g. although busier in the middle of the day now, I am still usually the only passenger coming home from my back shift (2250). Have the Scottish Government committed to support operators?

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
I still don't see how running buses at this level of demand is profitable - e.g. although busier in the middle of the day now, I am still usually the only passenger coming home from my back shift (2250). Have the Scottish Government committed to support operators?

It isn’t profitable. Far from it. However, operators are still receiving their full BSOG and Concessionary reimbursements from ScotGov, where they are still providing an emergency network of services for those still needing to make essential journeys. Primarily because it’s money already allocated in either FY 2019/20 or FY 2020/21.
If there is to be any further increases in service levels, it will almost certainly only happen if additional funding is made available. Although I gather Mr Shapps announcement re England on Saturday was only around 2/3 of the figure previously agreed with the industry, and which they based their plans upon. So, that could get interesting!

route101

Established Member
Was out on Wednesday . Noticed a e400 sitting at Battlefield Rest. Perhaps one of the dupes , no driver was present.

service 242 is being increased to operate every 30 mins peak and at every 35mins of peak

service 254 is being increased to operate every 20 mins from monday

Monday 1st June Amendments
Please note that the following changes will operate from Monday 1st June onwards.

A number of other services have also been converted to double deck vehicles to support additional safety measures and social distancing. Please see main service list below for services which this affects.

ServiceDetail of changeTimetable
(Operates from Monday 1st June)
242Frequency increased to every 30 mins at peak and 35 mins off-peak.Click to view timetable
254Frequency doubled to every 20 mins.Click to view timetable

lastbus

service 242 is being increased to operate every 30 mins peak and at every 35mins of peak

Please note that the following changes will operate from Monday 1st June onwards.

A number of other services have also been converted to double deck vehicles to support additional safety measures and social distancing. Please see main service list below for services which this affects.

242Frequency increased to every 30 mins at peak and 35 mins off-peak.Click to view timetable
241 will be double decker operated from Monday.

route101

Established Member

Is there any services operating as singles?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Anyone know what percentage of the buses in use have the seats passengers can and can't sit on marked out clearly? Was out a long walk today, seen a good few buses and maybe 1 had it and that was it. Still seen people sitting on the seats right behind others on a few too

route101

Established Member
Anyone know what percentage of the buses in use have the seats passengers can and can't sit on marked out clearly? Was out a long walk today, seen a good few buses and maybe 1 had it and that was it. Still seen people sitting on the seats right behind others on a few too

Older guy on bus other day didnt notice the seat sleeves and plonked himself behind someone. That said with no one behind you , particarly diagonally ,no one has a good view of what your lookinh at on your phone ha

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would getting rid of Dumbarton depot ever be used as a cost-cutting method by First?

When the 206 tenders go in July it's literally going to be just the 1s then the 206 and 208 during the day left. I don't think it will happen because of the capacity required for the 1s but it's thought because they could get rid of the 206/208 forcing SPT to tender them and the 1s could be run from Scotstoun. As I say high capacity needed for the 1s could stop it but I do expect cost-cutting of some sort to come as a result of the current situation

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Could be irrelevant I know, but Arriva in my area have displayed advisory capacities on their buses, 20 for a double deck, 11 for a single deck, 10 for a midi (eg Versa), 7 for a mini (eg Solo).

PaulMc7

Established Member
Could be irrelevant I know, but Arriva in my area have displayed advisory capacities on their buses, 20 for a double deck, 11 for a single deck, 10 for a midi (eg Versa), 7 for a mini (eg Solo).

Yeah there's been some stickers put on the side of some of our buses. Not seen it on a single deck but think it was 19 for our E400 MMCs

awsnews

Would getting rid of Dumbarton depot ever be used as a cost-cutting method by First?

When the 206 tenders go in July it's literally going to be just the 1s then the 206 and 208 during the day left. I don't think it will happen because of the capacity required for the 1s but it's thought because they could get rid of the 206/208 forcing SPT to tender them and the 1s could be run from Scotstoun. As I say high capacity needed for the 1s could stop it but I do expect cost-cutting of some sort to come as a result of the current situation
Need to double check but I am sure the tendered part of the 206 only requires one bus, which in the overall scheme of things isn't a lot compared to the 8 buses required at other times.

route101

Established Member

Im surprised its lasted , absorbed into Scotstoun?

route101

Established Member
Yeah there's been some stickers put on the side of some of our buses. Not seen it on a single deck but think it was 19 for our E400 MMCs

Wonder how they are faring . I think services are still quiet for now.