• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Don’t know why you are surprised the dead mileage if they closed Dumbarton would be crazy.

I'm pretty sure Dumbarton from my house is about 10 miles and I'm barely a mile from Scotstoun plus is sending the 2s that come off at Baillieston back to Scotstoun not around that number? I'm pretty sure sending Blantyre to Gardenhall/Greenhills/Hairmyres isn't much less either

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WHL Spotter

Need to double check but I am sure the tendered part of the 206 only requires one bus, which in the overall scheme of things isn't a lot compared to the 8 buses required at other times.
You are correct it only requires 1 bus, I know two operators would be fighting over the 208 & 206 :D:D:D if Dumbarton got closed.

lastbus

I'm pretty sure Dumbarton from my house is about 10 miles and I'm barely a mile from Scotstoun plus is sending the 2s that come off at Baillieston back to Scotstoun not around that number? I'm pretty sure sending Blantyre to Gardenhall/Greenhills/Hairmyres isn't much less either
Take into account the number of buses on the 1 service and they don’t all start in Dumbarton you’ve buses that start in balloch and Helensburgh. What’s the PVR of the 1s? The 2 is different as you have a terminus that is also close to scotstoun so not all buses are running dead from baillieston and some of them are from Caledonia depot. I don’t think many if any of the 1s run dead from the city to Dumbarton to finish either so most are starting and finishing in the Dumbarton area. If it wasn’t cost effective to have Dumbarton open then it wouldn’t be open the fact is it’s a depot that makes a lot of money.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Take into account the number of buses on the 1 service and they don’t all start in Dumbarton you’ve buses that start in balloch and Helensburgh. What’s the PVR of the 1s? The 2 is different as you have a terminus that is also close to scotstoun so not all buses are running dead from baillieston and some of them are from Caledonia depot. I don’t think many if any of the 1s run dead from the city to Dumbarton to finish either so most are starting and finishing in the Dumbarton area. If it wasn’t cost effective to have Dumbarton open then it wouldn’t be open the fact is it’s a depot that makes a lot of money.

Changes to the timetable could easily solve a lot of that at any point if it was to ever happen plus I originally said I doubt it would happen. I merely suggested something, not saying it would 100% happen

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Anyone know what happened to the branded Streetlites from London? They were supposedly going to Scotstoun but seem to have just vanished. Are they being used during the reduced timetable?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Anyone know what happened to the branded Streetlites from London? They were supposedly going to Scotstoun but seem to have just vanished. Are they being used during the reduced timetable?

Pretty sure they're still in storage, it doesn't make much sense to use them at the moment when larger buses are available.

route101

Established Member
Only streetlites ive seen are at Caley running driver shuttles to driver changeover points. Caley to Battlefield for 34.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I hope lessons will be learned from the COVID pandemic in that capacity is considered going forward. It’s always been lost on me that routes like the 2, 3 and 9 should really have been deckers from the start. These are routes which at one stage have had double deck stock on them but have been replaced over time by singles. Routes which are high capacity core routes should, in my opinion, always have deckers. The 2 (old 62) has been renown for being single deck despite it having such a high frequency and capacity of passengers.

Now with social distancing being introduced First have had no option but to introduce decker stock on to many routes which have been previously single. I think this is something that should be considered going forward. New options have been explored for the 201 and 240 to have deckers so perhaps this could be looked at to make this a more permanent thing. Lanarkshire locals work well with singles as do routes like the 8 and 90. I don’t get the push for singles all the time. I hope lessons are learned going into the future. I’d like to see some of the E400MMCs stay put on the 2, 3 and 9 routes.

Scotrail88

I hope lessons will be learned from the COVID pandemic in that capacity is considered going forward. It’s always been lost on me that routes like the 2, 3 and 9 should really have been deckers from the start. These are routes which at one stage have had double deck stock on them but have been replaced over time by singles. Routes which are high capacity core routes should, in my opinion, always have deckers. The 2 (old 62) has been renown for being single deck despite it having such a high frequency and capacity of passengers.

Now with social distancing being introduced First have had no option but to introduce decker stock on to many routes which have been previously single. I think this is something that should be considered going forward. New options have been explored for the 201 and 240 to have deckers so perhaps this could be looked at to make this a more permanent thing. Lanarkshire locals work well with singles as do routes like the 8 and 90. I don’t get the push for singles all the time. I hope lessons are learned going into the future. I’d like to see some of the E400MMCs stay put on the 2, 3 and 9 routes.

Once again, I therefore ask. Where are these going to come from?

lastbus

The 240 will 100% not stay double deck operated unless they move all 240s to Blantyre which I can’t see happening.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Depending on how long social distancing lasts which seems like it'll be at least a year I'd imagine the 2021 order will include a lot more deckers. I think services will mostly need at least some deckers as we move through the phases and back towards normality. Having some deckers on busy routes like the 1s, 2s etc is the only way I can see some passengers having confidence that using buses is safe

Cesarcollie

Depending on how long social distancing lasts which seems like it'll be at least a year I'd imagine the 2021 order will include a lot more deckers. I think services will mostly need at least some deckers as we move through the phases and back towards normality. Having some deckers on busy routes like the 1s, 2s etc is the only way I can see some passengers having confidence that using buses is safe

I thxink the 2021 order might consist of.....not a lot! Sadly, that will apply to many operators.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It was you that mentioned it.

I've not been the only one that's why it was confusing. Any singles that wouldn't be needed would just be transferred to where ever needed them I'd imagine. Same as what happened to any buses that weren't needed with any previous orders

Scotrail88

The reality is that any orders will be a miracle!
Even a bus industry will be a miracle!

The reality is that with little or minimal positive outlook and the potential recession due to impact, any investment is going to be the bare necessity.

Service reductions will most likely take care of age expired vehicle

Scott mac

Can't believe people on this are taking about the next new bus order the bus industry right now is in a really bad way and will take years to recover especially

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can't believe people on this are taking about the next new bus order the bus industry right now is in a really bad way and will take years to recover especially

I mentioned it because as bad a state the industry is in it's not seeming likely just yet that the LEZ will be held back any further unless any announcement comes anytime soon plus my original point was based on what an order would maybe include. None of us know what will happen with the industry but orders of even a small amount might still need to happen. We just don't know. The government might also invest but we will have to wait and see

overthewater

Established Member
Think about the bus manufacturers if the companies dont put in some order They could disappear and then what. I do believe they will be some sort of order, maybe not big but something

PaulMc7

Established Member
If we start getting from phase to phase quickly and maybe get a bit of decent weather and people back shopping in September/October I think bus service use will take a bit of a hit but not anywhere as badly as some fear. We might see some services go but even before the pandemic I thought it was possible for more loss making services to go so it's even more likely now

route101

Established Member
This has been the case for well over a month now. As part of a more recent update they also show the seating capacity on each bus.

Updated the app, i wonder how accurate it is . Least the app now works on phone without crashing.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Updated the app, i wonder how accurate it is . Least the app now works on phone without crashing.
Given the vehicle locations come direct from the ticket machine on the bus, and the blobs on the map update every 30 or so seconds, I'd imagine it's pretty accurate.

The capacity indicators are only as accurate as the driver makes it, as its their responsibility to "alight" passengers from the system.

route101

Established Member
Given the vehicle locations come direct from the ticket machine on the bus, and the blobs on the map update every 30 or so seconds, I'd imagine it's pretty accurate.

The capacity indicators are only as accurate as the driver makes it, as its their responsibility to "alight" passengers from the system.

May be using the bus this week ,will test. Will be interesting to see if the service levels and renenstatment of services will happen in the next two weeks .

PaulMc7

Established Member
May be using the bus this week ,will test. Will be interesting to see if the service levels and renenstatment of services will happen in the next two weeks .

Could be a need for increases pretty soon since it's possible that we could be into Phase 2 next Friday. Going from the app today there seemed to be more buses running late or full so I don't think people will want it to take any longer than that