• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

detailed information for monday changes

Forthcoming Timetables and Service Information
From Sunday 28th June, we will operate revised timetables across our services
These services have been increased to reflect an uplift in people travelling and to support the Scottish Government’s physical distancing guidance for customers who need to use public transport, as the Scottish Government continues to ease the lockdown.

For information on wearing a face covering, increased safety measures and other important information, please click here.

ServiceTimetableDetail of Change
1/1A/1B/1CClick to view timetable Service 1, 1A, 1B and 1C each increased to operate half - hourly on their normal route to and from Glasgow.
1DClick to view timetable Service 1D operates every 20 mins between Mountblow and Clydebank.
1EClick to view timetable Peak hour service suspended
2Click to view timetable Inceased during the day to every 10 mins Monday to Friday
Every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
Evening frequency of every 60 mins daily.
3Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday.
Every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
4Click to view timetable During the day, two journeys an hour will operate Monday to Friday.
An hourly service will operate on a Saturday.
On Evenings and Sunday, Service 4 operates every 60 mins serving both Newton Mearns and Eaglesham.
From Glasgow normal route to Mearns Road at Waterfoot Road, Waterfoot Road, Glasgow Road to Eaglesham.
Return via this route reversed. Service 4A suspended.
4AClick to view timetable Every 60 minutes Monday to Saturday.
Evenings & Sundays, please refer to service 4
5Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
6Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
6AClick to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
7Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
7AClick to view timetableOperates every 30 mins between Cambuslang and City Centre Monday to Saturday.
On Sundays only SPT subsidised journeys will operate.
8Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins Monday to Friday and every 60 mins Saturday and Sundays.
Service 8A suspended.
9/9AClick to view timetable During the day, both services 9 & 9A will operate every 15 mins Monday to Friday, 20 mins Saturdays.
Every 30 mins on Sundays.
10Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
14No timetableService Suspended
16Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins Monday to Friday and every 60 mins Saturday and Sundays.
18Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
19Click to view timetable Every 30 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins evenings and Sundays
21Click to view timetable Normal route between Gardenhall and City Centre and increased to operate every 30 mins Monday to Saturday.
Every 60 mins evenings and Sundays
29No timetableService Suspended
31Click to view timetable Every 60 mins daily between City Centre and Carmunock.
Section of route between Carmunock and East Kilbride suspended.
32No timetableSuspended.
34/34AClick to view timetable Increased to every 15 mins Monday to Friday daytime and every 30 mins Saturday, Sunday and evenings.
All journeys will operate as 34A between Govan and Castlemilk
38/38AClick to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
Evening frequency, every 30 mins
38BClick to view timetableIncreased during the day to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday & every 60 mins on Sundays, extending from Barlanark to Baillieston.
Evening frequency, every 60 mins between City Centre and Barlanark
38CClick to view timetableIncreased during the day to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday & every 60 mins on Sundays.
Evening frequency, every 60 mins between City Centre and Chryston
38ENo timetableSuspended. Partly replaced between Baillieston and City Centre by service 38B.
41Click to view timetable Increased to every 20 mins during the day Monday to Friday.
Every 30 mins Saturday and every 60 mins evenings and Sundays.
43Click to view timetable Every 60 mins Monday to Saturday. Sunday service suspended.
46Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins Sunday.
49Click to view timetableNormal service.
57Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
Evening frequency of every 60 mins daily. Service will revert to normal route.
57AClick to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
59No timetableService Suspended
60/60AClick to view timetable Increased during the day, both services will operate every 30 mins Monday to Saturday
(providing a combined 15 minute freqency on common sections).
Evening and Sunday frequency of every 60 minutes on both services.
61Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
64Click to view timetable Every 60 mins Monday to Saturday.
65Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins daily.
74No timetableService Suspended
75Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 10 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
77Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
Evening frequency of every 30 mins daily.
Section of route between Glasgow Airport and Braehead suspended
81Click to view timetableEvery 15 mins Monday to Saturday.
87Click to view timetableIncreased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
88Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins Monday to Friday, every 30 mins Saturday & Sundays.
89Click to view timetable Reintroduced during the day with, 2 journeys per hour Monday to Friday and every 60 mins Saturday & Sunday
89A/BClick to view timetableEvery 60 mins daily
90Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins Monday to Friday and every 60 mins Saturday and Sundays.
93Click to view timetable Normal service.
94No timetableService Suspended
120No timetableService Suspended
128Click to view timetable Normal service.
201Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
202Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
205Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
206Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday, normal Sunday timetable.
208No timetableSuspended.
209Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
210Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
226Click to view timetable Increased to every 20 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins on Sunday.
227Click to view timetable Every 60 mins Monday to Saturday between Little Earnock and Hamilton and every 2 hours between Hamilton and Whitehill.
229Click to view timetable Every 2 hours Monday to Saturday.
230No timetableService Suspended
240Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
241Click to view timatebleIncreased to every 20 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins on Sunday. Sundays Coltness - Motherwell only
242Click to view timetable Every 30 mins.
244No timetableService Suspended
251Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
254Click to view timetable Increased to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday. Sunday service suspended.
255Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins Sunday.
263Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins Evenings and Sundays.
266Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 20 mins to/from Shotts and Newmains
(combined every 10 mins between Newmains Cross and Hamilton) Monday to Saturday.
Every 60 mins Evenings and Sundays.
267Click to view timetable Increased during the day to every 15 mins Monday to Friday, every 20 mins Saturday & every 30 mins on Sundays.
299No timetableService Suspended
355Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
404No timetableService suspended.
500Please click here for daily timetable to Glasgow Airport
709Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
765Click to view timetable Normal timetable.
M1No timetableService Suspended
M2No timetableService Suspended
M3Click to view timetable Every 60 mins Monday to Saturday.
M4No timetableService Suspended
M11Click to view timetable Every 60 mins Monday to Saturday.
M60Click to view timetable Every 30 mins Monday to Saturday.
Night Services No timetableAll night services suspended.
U1No timetableSuspended.
X1No timetableSuspended (see 226, 255, 263, 267 for alternatives).
X2No timetableSuspended.
X3Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins daily.
X4Click to view timetable Services reintroduced operating during the day, every 35 mins Monday to Saturday and every 70 mins on Sundays.
Evening frequency of every 70 mins
X8Click to view timetable Service reintroduced opearting every 30 mins Monday to Saturday, Sunday service suspended.
X11Click to view timetable Increased to every 30 mins Monday to Saturday, Sunday service suspended.
X78No timetableSuspended.
X85/X87Click to view timetable During the day, both services X85 & X87 will be increased to operate every 30 mins Monday to Saturday.
Every 60 mins Evenings and Sundays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Some good increases , i was on two buses today and they were nearly full. Makes it easier for connections. Still miffed the 31 is not coming back EK yet. Will see what will happen.

Mask compliance id say is 80 to 90 percent . One bus i ran for and didnt have time to put it on , the driver asked me if i had a face covering, didnt expect the driver to ask. Was a bit hot and had to pull it up for fresh air times.

route101

Established Member
Thanks for that. Happy that the 87 is going to every 20 minutes during the day; it has been getting steadily busier. Also that the 57 is returning to Auchinairn (Woodhill)/Westerhill, although if the rumours are true that Aviva is pulling out of Bishopbriggs, demand to Westerhill Terminus will be greatly reduced. I wonder if that will precipitate a permanent change at some point.

Mask adherence on my buses was about 50% on Day 1, and increased yesterday (100% going into work!) and about 85% this morning. Can't say I enjoy it. And I wonder if an unenforceable blanket rule was right, e.g. 2 passengers on my 87 after back shift, me upstairs with mask, him downstairs without, and the driver in her cab. That's pretty socially distant, yet I still have to wear one.

Yes thats what im worried , my route 31 , my bit still suspended , strangly on the app , the bus stops on the map have been removed .

route101

Established Member
Thanks for that. Happy that the 87 is going to every 20 minutes during the day; it has been getting steadily busier. Also that the 57 is returning to Auchinairn (Woodhill)/Westerhill, although if the rumours are true that Aviva is pulling out of Bishopbriggs, demand to Westerhill Terminus will be greatly reduced. I wonder if that will precipitate a permanent change at some point.

Mask adherence on my buses was about 50% on Day 1, and increased yesterday (100% going into work!) and about 85% this morning. Can't say I enjoy it. And I wonder if an unenforceable blanket rule was right, e.g. 2 passengers on my 87 after back shift, me upstairs with mask, him downstairs without, and the driver in her cab. That's pretty socially distant, yet I still have to wear one.

Yeah i found it bit hot , had to pull it up for fresh air.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Will be interesting to see just how busy the buses are next week. Solid increases down my way though per hour.

From 8 buses an hour to 18 with 8 1s in total, 6 2s and 4 6s

awsnews

Will be interesting to see just how busy the buses are next week. Solid increases down my way though per hour.

From 8 buses an hour to 18 with 8 1s in total, 6 2s and 4 6s
I note the 1/1A/1B is shown as operating the normal route, so it must be back to single deck operation. To be expected though, not enough doubles around for that kind of frequency increase.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I note the 1/1A/1B is shown as operating the normal route, so it must be back to single deck operation. To be expected though, not enough doubles around for that kind of frequency increase.

Will be interesting to see how it goes if it's singles. Most of the doubles are pretty full in the morning by the end of Yoker going by the app so going by that the increase might not end up enough. I'd imagine the 1C will be double though so might be okay through Scotstoun

PaulMc7

Established Member

Wonder how this will impact bus patronage going forward if SPT are struggling this much. I'd guess the 4/4A and 6/6A would benefit a lot if the subway was way less frequent as they've lost a lot of passengers in recent years towards the west end

route101

Established Member

Wonder how this will impact bus patronage going forward if SPT are struggling this much. I'd guess the 4/4A and 6/6A would benefit a lot if the subway was way less frequent as they've lost a lot of passengers in recent years towards the west end

Whenever im at Byres Road at the top at GWR road , i find it far easier to get Subway to get to town rather than get bus.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Whenever im at Byres Road at the top at GWR road , i find it far easier to get Subway to get to town rather than get bus.

Yeah the buses tend to crawl along GWR even off peak hence why the reliability has always been horrendous

First have replied to a question on Facebook saying that the ticket acceptance between first and McGills will be ending soon

PaulMc7

Established Member
First have replied to a question on Facebook saying that the ticket apprentice between first and McGills will be ending soon

Not surprising tbh with the 9 coming back every 15 mins on Monday and the increases to the 1s too. Mcgills 38 will be increasing too as well as the 757 and X22 so there's less need for ticket acceptance

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Perhaps unpopular opinion but I hope one good to come out of this pandemic is just which services are vital and which are just dead routes. Routes like X1, X2 and 32 being suspended for this length of time. Are these routes really necessary for the network?

Could the 38B be merged with the 38E? I find the Barlanark end of the 38B is always dead. When it was the old 42 passenger numbers began to suffer a bit back then too going through Carntyne and Springboig. There is already the 41, 46 and 60 which cover these areas or very closely not to mention the 38E on Edinburgh Road.

Another thing is capacity. Could some fleet cascades see more deckers on core routes like has been seen during the pandemic. For example having more deckers on the 1, 2, 3, 9, 34/34A, 201, 240 services. These routes have been single operated but seem to work well with higher capacity. There aren’t enough deckers to see every route have 100% decker operation but a few tweaks could see a mixture of both which would certainly work.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think there definitely needs to be some sort of shake up of the network outside of the core routes and ones with newer branded buses. The 32 is a strange one to me because it's always been busy any time I've got it and I've heard people on it a few times say that they wish it ran later than it does.

I do think a lot of services need a rework though especially with route. 34/34A could just be merged into one too.

I'd include the following for route changes or cuts:

3- route trim
X4- peak only with the 4 going to Knightswood again
6- route trim
8- route trim
16- route change
38E- Cut and 38B extended permanently
57-If Aviva close at Westerhill extend the 57 to Strathkelvin Retail Park
60/60A- route trim
64- Cut and extend 43 to Carmyle
87- Cut X2 and extend 87 to Robroyston
89B- Cut and send 89A through Mavis Valley
90- Route trim
201- route trim

Would create new routes to cover the cuts and trims allowing for new options for people too.

Also now knowing that Braehead could be gone after 3-6 months it'll be interesting to see what First do with the 9A/77/90 going forward

Last edited:

Bus Lightyear

Perhaps unpopular opinion but I hope one good to come out of this pandemic is just which services are vital and which are just dead routes. Routes like X1, X2 and 32 being suspended for this length of time. Are these routes really necessary for the network?

Could the 38B be merged with the 38E? I find the Barlanark end of the 38B is always dead. When it was the old 42 passenger numbers began to suffer a bit back then too going through Carntyne and Springboig. There is already the 41, 46 and 60 which cover these areas or very closely not to mention the 38E on Edinburgh Road.

Another thing is capacity. Could some fleet cascades see more deckers on core routes like has been seen during the pandemic. For example having more deckers on the 1, 2, 3, 9, 34/34A, 201, 240 services. These routes have been single operated but seem to work well with higher capacity. There aren’t enough deckers to see every route have 100% decker operation but a few tweaks could see a mixture of both which would certainly work.

The 34 has never justified double decks anyway as it's a frequent service not running through the city centre. The 3 is well assisted by the 38 and 57 on the Pollokshaws Road corridor and the 2 and 77 on Dumbarton Road.

Sorry to sound like a killjoy but suggesting routes are converted to double deck is pie in the sky stuff. Not only First but the whole industry could be strapped of cash for sometime as passenger volume is expected to lower than pre-pandemic and the financial cost of purchasing or transferring double decks can hardly be justified.

Bus Lightyear

Looks to me like you haven't thought some of this through.

X4- peak only with the 4 going to Knightswood again
There is no value in doing that and would cost the same amount buses for carrying less passengers overall.

38E- Cut and 38B extended permanently
All sectors of the 38 group of routes combine to establish a 5 minute interval service from Giffnock to Haghill so if you canned the 38E that principle would be destroyed and you would end up with a frequency that's difficult for the ordinary punter to comprehend. And how would that work at the Rouken Glen/Newton Mearns end?

89B- Cut and send 89A through Mavis Valley
How would that work with the main 89 and the 88? Through Bishopbriggs you may have noticed that the four buses per hour on each of the 88 and 89 group form a 7 and 8 minute interval service.

Bus Lightyear

Also now knowing that Braehead could be gone after 3-6 months it'll be interesting to see what First do with the 9A/77/90 going forward
Depending how long this could go on for it's a smaller problem for First compared to McGill's who could be severely hit by this at it affects a significant proportion of their network.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Looks to me like you haven't thought some of this through.

There is no value in doing that and would cost the same amount buses for carrying less passengers overall.

All sectors of the 38 group of routes combine to establish a 5 minute interval service from Giffnock to Haghill so if you canned the 38E that principle would be destroyed and you would end up with a frequency that's difficult for the ordinary punter to comprehend. And how would that work at the Rouken Glen/Newton Mearns end?

How would that work with the main 89 and the 88? Through Bishopbriggs you may have noticed that the four buses per hour on each of the 88 and 89 group form a 7 and 8 minute interval service.

I've thought all of it through actually. The X4 is really not busy outside of peaks purely because of the loss of a West end link from Jordanhill/Knightswood. The 4 was also very busy because of Hyndland secondary school too and Jordanhill/St Thomas Aquinas pupils. It wouldn't be that hard to understand if you had a brain tbh or am I overestimating the average punter's intelligence? The 7/7A springs to mind with a split frequency 10-20-10-20 for the 7 through Toryglen. The 89B is a wasted short working of what you already have though hence if you just reroute the 89A you're saving a bus. As far as the 38E goes there's already a few other issues with the timetable for all 38s that cause more bother. For example the peak services all run from different places instead of just been 1 set route and going southbound they just all become 38 and 38As randomly. I would say from experience that a 10 min frequency to Rouken Glen is overkill. Used it for the park quite a few times and been the last person on the bus every single time

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Depending how long this could go on for it's a smaller problem for First compared to McGill's who could be severely hit by this at it affects a significant proportion of their network.

Yeah if anything for First the only service that could be hard to rework is the 77. I'd imagine the 9A would just all go to Penilee and the 90 just to QEUH

CM

AFAIK intu only own Braehead and X-Scape(or whatever it's called this week). You've still got the Retail Park, Sainsbury's and IKEA which aren't owned by intu so would more than likely survive if the shopping centre shuts down.

Bus Lightyear

The X4 is really not busy outside of peaks purely because of the loss of a West end link from Jordanhill/Knightswood. The 4 was also very busy because of Hyndland secondary school too and Jordanhill/St Thomas Aquinas pupils.
What you're suggesting won't save buses and if anything would cost more depending on how many peak journeys you suggest on running and possibly another 2 or 3 additional buses on service 4.

The X4 is not the most expensive route to operate and to change it from all day to just at peaks means that more buses will be parked in the depot from roughly 0900 to 1600 not earning revenue unless you suggest using the resource to
boost the off-peak frequency of another service.

The 7/7A springs to mind with a split frequency 10-20-10-20 for the 7 through Toryglen.
That isn't a busy corridor.

With regards to the 38 do you really think that having 2 10 minute gaps within the hour is going to work? That could result on the journeys which come after the 10 minute gap being hammered. Same with the Bishopbriggs corridor which would result in one 15 minute gap per hour as a consequence of what you're suggesting.

PaulMc7

Established Member
What you're suggesting won't save buses and if anything would cost more depending on how many peak journeys you suggest on running and possibly another 2 or 3 additional buses on service 4.

The X4 is not the most expensive route to operate and to change it from all day to just at peaks means that more buses will be parked in the depot from roughly 0900 to 1600 not earning revenue unless you suggest using the resource to
boost the off-peak frequency of another service.

That isn't a busy corridor.

With regards to the 38 do you really think that having 2 10 minute gaps within the hour is going to work? That could result on the journeys which come after the 10 minute gap being hammered. Same with the Bishopbriggs corridor which would result in one 15 minute gap per hour as a consequence of what you're suggesting.

With the network is there anything that warrants an off peak increase because to me there's no obvious place unless you create an entirely new service which there's not an obvious area that needs one either especially over towards Knightswood. The 4 was always busier from experience than the X4 has always been and that's all I can say. I used the 44 back just before Simplicity and it was never as quiet as my experiences of the X4. All the X4 really done was push more people onto the train at Westerton, Scotstounhill and Jordanhill. If it at least went every 30 mins but went along the top of Victoria Park and then Crow Road and down to Thornwood onto the expressway it might do better as it would at least link to the 4/4A. With how unreliable the 38s are most of the time you wouldn't have any idea that they're every 5 mins. Seen it quite a few times where there's 1 or 2 really empty ones sitting right behind a busy one. There would still be 4 88s an hour and 3 89s between the City Centre and Bishopbriggs which generally from what I've experienced would be enough. The 7 through Toryglen is far busier than the 38 through Woodfarm and Rouken Glen from what I've experienced. Infact I'd go as far to say that I've not been on a quiet 7 through there