• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Definitely noticed quite a pattern by checking the app a lot today.

1/1A- Most "bus full" notices I've seen for my local stops on a weekend although probably influenced by decent weather and the shops opening

2 and 6- Surprisingly quiet most of the time apart from around 11am/12pm. The 2 is beginning to get a bit busier now though

Will be interesting to see how busy buses are after the seating capacity increases tomorrow

Going in to town tomorrow so will be interesting to see, i think im going to get train though.

6 can be quiet , but its busier in afternoon heading out of town, kinda busyish on its hourly frequency at night to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lastbus

Definitely noticed quite a pattern by checking the app a lot today.

1/1A- Most "bus full" notices I've seen for my local stops on a weekend although probably influenced by decent weather and the shops opening

2 and 6- Surprisingly quiet most of the time apart from around 11am/12pm. The 2 is beginning to get a bit busier now though

Will be interesting to see how busy buses are after the seating capacity increases tomorrow
Most of the buses have increased capacity already. Capacity on the App won’t update until tomorrow though. Buses were quite busy this weekend.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Most of the buses have increased capacity already. Capacity on the App won’t update until tomorrow though. Buses were quite busy this weekend.

Thanks for the info. Did seem strange that all of a sudden every 1/1A was full

route101

Established Member
No mention of these services including the 31 being withdrawn on the First Glasgow website.

lastbus

Are they trying to kill off local schemes that have minimal services at the best of times?

You able to give the source?

THE axing of bus services will have a devastating effect on communities in the East End, it has been claimed.

First Glasgow announced that their X2 and 32 bus services will be permanently withdrawn.

The 32 bus service travels from Parkhead to Craigend while the X2 takes passengers from city centre to Robroyston.

The firm cited both the coronavirus pandemic and dwindling passenger numbers as the reasons for the decision.

Politicians including Ivan McKee MSP, Anne McLaughlin MP and councillors Allan Casey, Annette Christie, Christina Cannon and Graham Campbell have written to the firm to ask them to reconsider the decision.

They argued that they have already raised concerns about their constituents in Robroyston feeling isolated after the axing of a 19a bus service last year.

Ivan McKee MSP said “These decisions from First Bus will have a devastating effect on communities in Glasgow Provan.

“They need to think again and they need to do it quickly.”

Councillor Allan Casey said “It is completely disappointing that once again we find vital bus services in our communities axed.

“My constituents in Dennistoun ward have suffered vital route cuts continuously over the last couple of years and once again First Glasgow have cut yet more services without any consolation with the communities we serve.

“As with the 19a bus last year the 32 service was vital for many of our elderly constituents in accessing vital shopping facilities.

“I would urge First Glasgow to reverse this decision immediately”

Graeme Macfarlan, Commercial Director for First Glasgow, said: “Like many other companies throughout the world, First Glasgow has been impacted by the pandemic and are facing one of the most challenging and unprecedented periods ever. We have tried to react quickly to the challenges presented throughout the pandemic with innovation as well as the safety of our staff and customers being at the forefront.

“The pandemic means we must make difficult decisions to protect the long-term continuity of the business and this means it is crucial that we prioritise all resource to where it is most needed and alleviate the challenges caused by Social Distancing restrictions, also ensuring services have sufficient capacity where passenger volumes are increasing.

PaulMc7

Established Member
So that's the X1, X2, 31, 32, 208 now. 32 is a surprise tbh considering it only requires 1 bus to operate and it's reasonably busy. Think out of the shopping areas around too Parkhead would be still well used when things get closer to normal as well

overthewater

Established Member
IS anyone actually surprised at the routes that have been axed? I'm sure we can think up two more routes that could easily be pulled aswell..

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
IS anyone actually surprised at the routes that have been axed? I'm sure we can think up two more routes that could easily be pulled aswell..

I agree. They obviously have a logical reason for withdrawing routes they wouldn’t do it if they were successful and well used. At the end of the day it is a business and they have to run an economical service. The 32 is busy mainly towards the forge but the route is very minor. You could easily use services like the 2, 60/60A, 61, 41, 90 all of which go to the forge (or indeed very close).

‘A devastating impact’ is pushing the boat out...

route101

Established Member
Basically all of the non frequent services , suprised they are still here. Pretty obvious these services were withdrawn as they never came back on the 29th of June.

But still no offcial word from them.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
With the 32 there is an alternative available for the Craigend side of the route in the 46, which I think is safe as it already was a life line route for places like Cranhill.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
5 services reduced or gone already. How many more are we expecting to go?

I doubt the 16 or 64 are that safe given how quiet they were before covid. Few others will probably go too

I agree. They obviously have a logical reason for withdrawing routes they wouldn’t do it if they were successful and well used. At the end of the day it is a business and they have to run an economical service. The 32 is busy mainly towards the forge but the route is very minor. You could easily use services like the 2, 60/60A, 61, 41, 90 all of which go to the forge (or indeed very close).

‘A devastating impact’ is pushing the boat out...

"Devastating impact" isnt even a quote from one of the usual politicians who really do know how to manipulate language to stir up the public- its the writer's own choice of words for the article!

If she thinks a non profitable route like the 32 was a "devastating" wait until she hears that TFL had ran out of so much money they almost nearly had to pull everything in London, now as educated people in this forum that actually know about public transport we all know that would never have happened- but that to me would be "devastating" if it actually happened!

At least First had a decent reply and for once actually mentions the routes were not covering their costs.

5 services reduced or gone already. How many more are we expecting to go?

I doubt the 16 or 64 are that safe given how quiet they were before covid. Few others will probably go too

Both I recon are on very shaky nails. If they were to withdraw the 16 the PR disaster would be spectacular.

I would recon the X8 would be next, then the X78.

Anything thats grey on the network map that's commercial is on very dangerous grounds and looking at that map, there's very little fat left to trim.....

"Devastating impact" isnt even a quote from one of the usual politicians who really do know how to manipulate language to stir up the public- its the writer's own choice of words for the article!

If she thinks a non profitable route like the 32 was a "devastating" wait until she hears that TFL had ran out of so much money they almost nearly had to pull everything in London, now as educated people in this forum that actually know about public transport we all know that would never have happened- but that to me would be "devastating" if it actually happened!

At least First had a decent reply and for once actually mentions the routes were not covering their costs in regards to drivers costs and fuel.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Both I recon are on very shaky nails. If they were to withdraw the 16 the PR disaster would be spectacular.

I would recon the X8 would be next, then the X78.

Anything thats grey on the network map that's commercial is on very dangerous grounds and looking at that map, there's very little fat left to trim.....

Yeah I fully agree with that. There's barely anything left to stick the knife in. For me, the 32 was busier than the 16 and less expensive to run so I'm surprised it's not gone or reduced to hourly at the very least. Would have thought the 16 would have done well because of people using it for Anniesland and the hospital but it gets killed by Crow Road and the peak time traffic. Almost forget about the X78 because it's such a small service too plus I wouldn't be surprised if the current 4/4A timetable was made permanent going forward too. The passenger drop on them since back when it was the 44 when I was at school is up there with the biggest of drops I've seen

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
What seems to be rather concerning is that the quieter routes seem to have been scrapped without any consultation at all, which would leave some roads unserved by buses that were serviced before.

I do remember years ago that local government bus policy was to help promote social mobility as a way of getting people to use the bus for local journeys.

In London, any changes to bus services have to go through a consultation process of at least 26 weeks before they can be enacted (this was pre Covid).

Ideally, what is needed is for SPT to have control of the bus network similar to Transport for London, and to have a radical shake up of the network with a proper consultation with residents of the twelve local council areas that make up the SPT area. Perhaps we could see packages of very busy and some quieter routes put together and let out as one contract for each package similar to London?

After all, Glasgow was once the Second City of the former British Empire many years ago, but does not have a public transport policy to match.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In Glasgow, there have always been 2 things that have hurt the bus industry for me and those are First being ultra complacent due to very little competition from other bus companies and congestion problems never ever being dealt with properly. The lack of consultation from First here causes a lot of negative backlash too although the headlines in the media and what councillors tend to hit out with on social media add fuel to a very heated fire.

SPT services, in general, aren't greatly used either so I do question why some of them run. The funding put into those could generally be used to better effect but it never ever happens because nobody involves the public in communication or asks what they truly want in a service and where they'd like it to go. The whole system needs a massive revamp and I feel like First could set an example here and improve their image but the recent cuts despite being unfortunate due to Covid19 don't fill me with any hope given that areas are being cut off and in those areas, it's mainly those in most need that are losing out. Funding based on concessionary travel being boosted could help though

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I‘ve always found the X8 to be jumping especially around peak time. It’s the quickest way to Silverburn from the City Centre. Perhaps times have changed but I remember not being able to get a seat on a decker not so long ago.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You can find it unlikely all you want but it’s happening. It will be announced towards the end of the week.

Surely additional funding would be required to support frequency increases, with the revised social distancing measures doubling capacity i don't see why frequency increases would be needed. On the whole services are still coping fine.