• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tour Operators: Bright Bus, Lothian (Majestic, Three Bridges) etc.

overthewater

Established Member
It's on employment website and FIRST website for jobs looking for JOBS, you can apply now and get this new job. It must be in the jobCentre aswell....

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=3edfbf47b70e4624&from=appsharedroid&dupclk=0

PCV Tour Bus Driver
First UK Bus - Edinburgh
£10.50 an hour

Edinburgh, City Of Edinburgh

Permanent

£10.50 p/h plus competitive Bonus scheme opportunities

When it comes to Scotland's Capital do you know your Greyfriars Bobby from your Arthur's Seat? Your John Knox from your Walter Scott?

Do you like meeting people, delivering great service to leave people with lasting memories?

If the answer is yes then this is the role for you!

We are embarking on an exciting new venture which aims to deliver an experience that will create unforgettable memories for visitors to the City of Edinburgh. We are looking for enthusiastic, friendly and driven individuals who thrive in a customer environment and who enjoy meeting people from all around the world. You will be providing a great customer experience in Edinburgh, you'll work on your own initiative and take ownership of your bus on its travels, looking after customers safety and help provide customers with an experience that will last a lifetime. If you have knowledge about the sights and attractions of the great City of Edinburgh then that's a bonus! You`ll require full PCV licence complete with drivers CPC qualification card, In return, we offer a great package of benefits including a competitive hourly rate, a company uniform and a sales commission scheme. You will also receive a welcome bonus of £500 upon completion of 6 months service, followed by a further payment of £500 upon completion of 12 months service. In addition to the posts being permanent we also offer seasonal employment either full or part time to suit you.

If you're looking for a rewarding career with a difference, then come and be part of our team.

PCV Tour Driver Requirements

• Full PCV Licence
  • CPC Qualification Card
  • Exceptional customer service skills and clear communication skills
  • Deliver excellent customer service
  • Excellent driving skills and knowledge of traffic regulations
  • Flexibility to work various shift pattern including weekends and Bank Holidays
Once you've completed your probation period, you'll enjoy fantastic benefits:

• Free travel - On our buses
  • Discounted travel for you and your family on the trains (GWR, TPE, Hull Trains) and your family & friends will also benefit from cheap bus travel.
  • First Xclusives - Discounts on First UK rail and bus and over 3,000 offers on goods and services for you, your family and friends
  • Share in our success – Buy discounted shares in First
  • Pension – You'll automatically join our scheme and start building a pension pot
  • Free life assurance – For all members of our pension scheme.

https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/va...r-10065-uk-bus---edinburgh/10095/description/

Edinburgh, City Of Edinburgh

Permanent

£10.50 p/h plus competitive Bonus scheme opportunities

When it comes to Scotland's Capital do you know your Greyfriars Bobby from your Arthur's Seat? Your John Knox from your Walter Scott?

Do you like meeting people, delivering great service to leave people with lasting memories?

If the answer is yes then this is the role for you!

We are embarking on an exciting new venture which aims to deliver an experience that will create unforgettable memories for visitors to the City of Edinburgh. We are looking for enthusiastic, friendly and driven individuals who thrive in a customer environment and who enjoy meeting people from all around the world. You will be providing a great customer experience in Edinburgh, you'll work on your own initiative and take ownership of your bus on its travels, looking after customers safety and help provide customers with an experience that will last a lifetime. If you have knowledge about the sights and attractions of the great City of Edinburgh then that's a bonus! You`ll require full PCV licence complete with drivers CPC qualification card, In return, we offer a great package of benefits including a competitive hourly rate, a company uniform and a sales commission scheme. You will also receive a welcome bonus of £500 upon completion of 6 months service, followed by a further payment of £500 upon completion of 12 months service. In addition to the posts being permanent we also offer seasonal employment either full or part time to suit you.

If you're looking for a rewarding career with a difference, then come and be part of our team.

PCV Tour Driver Requirements

Full PCV Licence
CPC Qualification Card
Exceptional customer service skills and clear communication skills
Deliver excellent customer service
Excellent driving skills and knowledge of traffic regulations
Flexibility to work various shift pattern including weekends and Bank Holidays

Once you've completed your probation period, you'll enjoy fantastic benefits:

Free travel - On our buses
Discounted travel for you and your family on the trains (GWR, TPE, Hull Trains) and your family & friends will also benefit from cheap bus travel.
First Xclusives - Discounts on First UK rail and bus and over 3,000 offers on goods and services for you, your family and friends
Share in our success – Buy discounted shares in First
Pension – You'll automatically join our scheme and start building a pension pot
Free life assurance – For all members of our pension scheme.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks for that - with the references to deleted posts and other references to other services as well, it was a bit tricky to fully get the gist so again, thank you for posting the information.

It’s an interesting move. Guess it’ll depend how committed First are in terms of publicity etc as to how much damage they can do to Lothian. I didn’t think they’d do this so looks game on!

I don’t buy the argument about people not choosing to travel on older vehicles - I’ve done plenty of sightseeing tours across the world and most of the time, I’ve neither known nor cared about the age of the vehicle. New open toppers are still more the exception than the rule.

City Sightseeing is of course a recognised brand (which is an advantage) but seen plenty of examples where more than one operator can prosper in a city.

In Focus

I think a few may be in for a surprise going by the responses on the deleted comments in another thread ...:)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It's a smart move, however i'll have to see the whole implementation before passing any real judgement.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That’s exactly my feeling on it. Really depends on the execution of it.

Wonder where they’ll base it? Out of one of the aggrieved local coach operators premises?

Indeed, of course we'll await the opinions from either side of the "argument" :lol:

Livingston would clearly be too far away, perhaps they plan on leasing a small storage site with a refuelling facility, while Livingston would cover the overall maintenance? I must admit i would chuckle if they got the local coach hire operators involved!

overthewater

Established Member
If a local company come in, then its not about the money its about given Lothain a kick. I think this could do rather well on a simple tour with a tenner day ticket ie £400 per top deck on a good run.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Presumably, some elderly deckers or low bridge victims?

Lothian quality and reputation should win without too much hassle.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Presumably, some elderly deckers or low bridge victims?

Lothian quality and reputation should win without too much hassle.

It’s the buggeration factor that they’ll be banking on. If they get 10 pax, that’s taking £160 off Lothian. Perhaps hoping that Lothian begin to question the entire rationale of the West Lothian incursion (though I think they’ve invested too much - not just financially - to change tack any time soon).

As for quality, depends how you’re measuring that? Seem to recall that Guide Friday were very good at using older fleet very effectively.

ChrisPJ

There might be a market for bargain bucket tours on older buses charging substantiality less than the established quality offering which uses fresh modern vehicles. I don't think it's the same market, ergo Lothian revenues are unlikely to be diminished.

100% this will be run out of Deans and short day to minimise spreadover.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It’s the buggeration factor that they’ll be banking on. If they get 10 pax, that’s taking £160 off Lothian. Perhaps hoping that Lothian begin to question the entire rationale of the West Lothian incursion (though I think they’ve invested too much - not just financially - to change tack any time soon).

As for quality, depends how you’re measuring that? Seem to recall that Guide Friday were very good at using older fleet very effectively.

True, but First will probably give up anyway. They're really poor at remaining committed (to most things).

In Focus

Wow a lot of people are going to be surprised :) seems everyone knows the fleet and structure this venture is going to take already !!
After all the "ridacard" rules Edinburgh did people really expect First to go after that market?
Simple maths on the Edinburgh tours tells you First will take more from Lothian than LCB will in West Lothian!!
Wonder where else is a good target in this "free competitive market"?

In Focus

That the same "buggeration " LCB planned within West Lothian?

Andyh82

Established Member
I doubt it will work, look at London City Tours in London that went out of business

First will have a lower frequency, much weaker publicity, one route compared with four, probably just a live guide or recorded commentary in English only, won’t have the worldwide City Sightseeing brand, not to mention First’s record with this sort of thing, they’ll lose interest in five minutes.

Will they use the Waverley Bridge starting point?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Well I reckon we should wish them the best of luck with this new venture and give First a bit of praise for trying something new after all these years shrinking their business.

Mwanesh

Pricing also plays a part . When Megabus started London tours i thought it was a joke . They are giving the usual firms a headache .

tbtc

Veteran Member
So this is the much suggested hundred and fifty buses then? No, wait, it was competition on the 25 from Herriot Watt into the City Centre? Or was it a link to "north Edinburgh"? Yeah, we definitely only ever suggested that they'd be running Open Top tours...

There's probably a big enough market in Edinburgh for lots of different price tiers - the problem may be that there are so many different "tours" with different routes that Waverley Bridge is pretty congested at times of the day.

Will First's new hobby see proper long term commitment or will it be another one of those "nice ideas" that they lose interest in after a year or two (remember the "express" services to West Lothian, the Edinburgh Airport services, or initiatives down south like Greyhound... good luck to them but they don't have a reputation for persevering!)

In Focus

First will have a lower frequency, much weaker publicity, one route compared with four, probably just a live guide or recorded commentary in English only, won’t have the worldwide City Sightseeing brand, not to mention First’s record with this sort of thing, they’ll lose interest in five minutes.
All wrong but dont let the facts get in the way of dismissing something because you dont like the idea.
All I will say it's been in the planning for around a year....