• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group get the GW Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

First won't run out of Turbos, will they? The "Bicester service increase" hasn't been reduced yet, so increasing it is hardly a problem. They're just focusing the service on peak hours, and it might actually free up one Turbo during the middle of the day (although it may just sit in Oxford P3 or CS all day :roll:).

Also, I was under the impression that all fast services between Reading and Paddington would be 125mph. Therefore the Westbury service will only be Turbo to Reading, and may be 180 - as some 180s should be freed by HSTs taking over OXF-PAD. (both of these freeing up Turbos)

The situation seems to be changing fast since the SRA GW RUS days so I may be completely behind the times; if that's the case then sorry!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
good melksham frees up units i suppose, no one really uses the services anyway, but itll be cut down when the franchise starts

Julian G

Established Member
I hope mojo won't see that HST
he will probably edit First to Last ;)

AlexS

Established Member
should have used the MSTS model, it's far crisper than the Trainz one!

Anyway, I think such a new livery is exactly what is needed for the final 10 years or so of HST's life, it really is modern and gives the stock a new lease of life. It's an eye opener, too!

lev441

AlexS said:
should have used the MSTS model, it's far crisper than the Trainz one!

Anyway, I think such a new livery is exactly what is needed for the final 10 years or so of HST's life, it really is modern and gives the stock a new lease of life. It's an eye opener, too!

I just wish that first didn't have to brand their trains with 'first'! You don't see any other operator do that!

AlexS

Established Member
It's a corporate image. First's corporate image involves the parent company name. Other companies do not. For example, the NatEx franchises largely exist as seperate entitles to NEG, and kept the name of the franchise itself, IE Central Trains was the final Regional Railways branding for the regional, Midland Mainline was Intercity Midland Mainline, Wales and West was Wales and West, ScotRail was ScotRail and so on. The only real departures from that theme have been One and c2c.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
:shock:

That livery is SWEET! 'First Express' might be a bit big in that shot, but otherwise excellent!

Re: TOC and franchise owner names on the trains, AlexS you forgot Arriva Trains Wales there...Stagecoach did it briefly too, with 'Stagecoach South West Trains'. Arriva also did it with 'Arriva Trains Northern' before they were sensibly eliminated from the region.

Those are the only ones I can think of for now. I don't see why it's a problem, except in the Stagecoach instance there.

bloogrape

Im stil hearing the 180's are going upto scotland and where getting the 170's, which would make enough trains for the turbo boost!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
class 313 said:
thameslink brand their name on there 319's
Thameslink is a service (or 'brand' I suppose you could say) that has
existed since the late 1980s, it was created by Network SouthEast. It's nothing to do with any of the companies that run the franchise. (I'm sure this has been explained before! ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.