• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daydr3am3r

I reckon that you will hear something fairly soon.
Exeter candidates are now at MMI in March so they are probably busy identifying dates for DMI’s as well. You would then probably get an early DMI date.

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve still not heard a thing. My status is “Applicated submitted”
I was getting concerned about it when I read here all their others getting interviews really quickly as my invite took a couple of months to come through. I’m sure you’ll hear soon, as I get the impression that courses are going to be started sooner rather than later.

Mr Oli

Hello everyone.

Quick question, if you pass stage 2 computer assessments and MMI would this be a 'national' pass which can be used at any TOC?, or would you have to re-do the MMI at every TOC you apply for? Obviously I assume that you would complete a DMI at every single TOC you apply to.

Thanks in advance,

Stigy

Established Member
Hello everyone.

Quick question, if you pass stage 2 computer assessments and MMI would this be a 'national' pass which can be used at any TOC?, or would you have to re-do the MMI at every TOC you apply for? Obviously I assume that you would complete a DMI at every single TOC you apply to.

Thanks in advance,
All stage 2 tests are national standard, including MMI and can be transferred betrween TOCs/FOCs for as many years as said TOC or FOC allows. DMI isn't a part of the psychometric testing (just a standard job interview really) so yes, you'd be invited to DMI at all TOCs you get that far with.

nanders135

Anyone know what the actual chance of getting a driver role is if you are placed in a talent pool?

train_lover

Anyone know what the actual chance of getting a driver role is if you are placed in a talent pool?
Depends on different factors.
1) How many drivers leave the depot you have applied for
2) Does GWR plan on expanding the depot over the next couple of years
3) What happens with the rail freight industry
4) How many are in the talent pool ahead of you vs number of jobs available

nanders135

Depends on different factors.
1) How many drivers leave the depot you have applied for
2) Does GWR plan on expanding the depot over the next couple of years
3) What happens with the rail freight industry
4) How many are in the talent pool ahead of you vs number of jobs available
If only we knew the answers to these questions haha! Would be disappointing to get all that way without getting the job

Stigy

Established Member
Pretty high with GWR I’m lead to believe, however as @train_lover pointed our, there are a number of factors. I do believe you’ll get priority when they recruit drivers though, otherwise it defeats the object of the pool. For example, if you’re in the pool and aren’t selected for the latest batch of courses and there’s need to recruit more drivers, rather than readvertise, they could use the candidates they already have.

The depot you apply for is a big factor though, for example the depot I I applied for have very limited vacancies, whereas some have quite a few I believe. Therefore if I am selected for a pool, if I don’t get in on the next course, I could be waiting a long time.

nanders135

Pretty high with GWR I’m lead to believe, however as @train_lover pointed our, there are a number of factors. I do believe you’ll get priority when they recruit drivers though, otherwise it defeats the object of the pool. For example, if you’re in the pool and aren’t selected for the latest batch of courses and there’s need to recruit more drivers, rather than readvertise, they could use the candidates they already have.

The depot you apply for is a big factor though, for example the depot I I applied for have very limited vacancies, whereas some have quite a few I believe. Therefore if I am selected for a pool, if I don’t get in on the next course, I could be waiting a long time.
Thank you. Well for everyone. It is a horrible wait but hopefully it will be worth it :)

train_lover

With DB loosing the contract at Westbury I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers head over to GWR. It happened at my TOC and as a result of that all trainee programmes were put on hold

Stigy

Established Member
With DB loosing the contract at Westbury I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers head over to GWR. It happened at my TOC and as a result of that all trainee programmes were put on hold
Makes sense. I saw on the FirstGroup Careers site earlier too that there are a lot of qualified vacancies out there too. The depot I applied to was listed too, which worries me a little bit especially if they can recruit a few qualified drivers, there will be no need for any trainees? I do get the impression though, a lot of qualified drivers don’t want these jobs and are happy enough where they are, hence the need for talent pools for trainees. The big decider I agree will be people coming over from FOCs to TOCs either because of uncertainty, or generally the better perks.

train_lover

Makes sense. I saw on the FirstGroup Careers site earlier too that there are a lot of qualified vacancies out there too. The depot I applied to was listed too, which worries me a little bit especially if they can recruit a few qualified drivers, there will be no need for any trainees? I do get the impression though, a lot of qualified drivers don’t want these jobs and are happy enough where they are, hence the need for talent pools for trainees. The big decider I agree will be people coming over from FOCs to TOCs either because of uncertainty, or generally the better perks.
You are right. At the TOC I work for they took some 200 qualified DB drivers which meant there was no need for trainees. But we all know how long the recruitment process is so every TOC will need a talent pool incase of any vacancies that come up.

Mr Oli

All stage 2 tests are national standard, including MMI and can be transferred betrween TOCs/FOCs for as many years as said TOC or FOC allows. DMI isn't a part of the psychometric testing (just a standard job interview really) so yes, you'd be invited to DMI at all TOCs you get that far with.

Thanks Stigy. Also, is there anything to prevent you having multiple ongoing applications with different TOCs/FOCs? Or can you apply for all and then choose the first one that accepts first / the one most suitable?

Thanks,

Twotwo

Slightly off topic so just to confirm, only stage 1 can be be marked enhanced for the Tocs that require it. Not the computer tests? Good to know.

Mike121

Slightly off topic so just to confirm, only stage 1 can be be marked enhanced for the Tocs that require it. Not the computer tests? Good to know.

No the computer tests are also marked national or enhanced. The MMI is a simple pass or fail.

baz962

Established Member
No the computer tests are also marked national or enhanced. The MMI is a simple pass or fail.

I was told by the opc , while at their office in Watford , that there is not an enhanced score for computer tests.

Jesse1688

Has anyone heard anything for the GWR Victoria pool apart from that they will be in contact via email if there is any update?

Stigy

Established Member
I was told by OPC that the computer tests and MMI are all national standard too. Having said that, some of what the OPC has said in the past has been come hat inconsistent, however I’d like to think they are fairly accurate given this is their bread and butter?

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy. Also, is there anything to prevent you having multiple ongoing applications with different TOCs/FOCs? Or can you apply for all and then choose the first one that accepts first / the one most suitable?

Thanks,
You can only have one set of assesments on-going at any one time, however once those are passed, you can apply to as many TOCs or FOCs as you wish, and as many times as you like, as you’ll only need to pass the paper sift and do a DMI.

Stigy

Established Member
Oh, and I got an email from GWR this morning saying I was successful in my DMI and I’m now in a pool for Fratton! Really chuffed, just hope it materialises sooner rather than later as I’ve heard some horror stories about pools! I was told at DMI there will be a course in March, but I’m not going to hold my breath at this stage!

Sorry for spamming the thread :)

Firestarter

I was told by OPC that the computer tests and MMI are all national standard too. Having said that, some of what the OPC has said in the past has been come hat inconsistent, however I’d like to think they are fairly accurate given this is their bread and butter?

Well if MMI is national and you fail it at enhanced then you must have 2 more chances at the MMI at national right?

Stigy

Established Member
Well if MMI is national and you fail it at enhanced then you must have 2 more chances at the MMI at national right?
No because there’s no enhanced standard for the MMI so you can’t ‘not meet’ an enhanced standard?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Oh, and I got an email from GWR this morning saying I was successful in my DMI and I’m now in a pool for Fratton! Really chuffed, just hope it materialises sooner rather than later as I’ve heard some horror stories about pools! I was told at DMI there will be a course in March, but I’m not going to hold my breath at this stage!

Congratulations Stigy!! Really chuffed for you!

nanders135

Congratulations! Hope you hear soon. I've been waiting about 4 months so far. Time definitely drags

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks all! If people have been waiting so long, I’m wondering if this could mean it’s towards the end of the timeline to get assessments and interviews conducted? The email did say that they would to all intents and purposes tally up all the results when everybody has been assessed and interviewed?

Mike121

Thanks all! If people have been waiting so long, I’m wondering if this could mean it’s towards the end of the timeline to get assessments and interviews conducted? The email did say that they would to all intents and purposes tally up all the results when everybody has been assessed and interviewed?

Well done :D ... hopefully you’ll be joining the first group family soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.