First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Quote, 29 Nov 2018.

1. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Agreed. Not sure if it used to be this high though? I know others start lower but often have incremental raises throughout the training whereas GWR trainee pay doesn’t?

Freightliner was about the lowest I’ve seen at £20k with one or two increased within a year or so if memory serves me. SWR start on about £25k but have several increases, raising to about £36k within the first year.

£27.5k is very good when you consider what other jobs pay, and bearing in mind you’re quite a risk to them at this point as there’s quite some investment from the TOC in the trainee.

2. 1494

1494 Member

I think it’s more the drop in my current salary that was a shock rather than the joining pay, but that’s something I will need to get my head around. I know I can’t expect to walk into another job and earn the same as i’m earning now.

But sacrifices will need to be made which I’m prepared to do, one of those things.

As long as I’m armed with enough information I can pre-plan then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Does anyone know what the pension contributions are in %? I was told around 8%.

Tom

3. tiptoptaff

tiptoptaff Established Member

It's about 6%

4. 387star

387star On Moderation

At thameslink people have taken over two years to pass out due to six month plus wait for DIs but they get reimbursed for that wait beyond a certain point

Last edited: 13 May 2019
  5. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

It’s been the same at SWR I’ve heard. People have been waiting months to start driving due to a lack of DIs.

6. 387star

387star On Moderation

At Three Bridges they took on 48 trainees in a short space of time so not surprising

Believe now Gillingham/Ashford trainees are staying in hotels in Brighton as they are being paired with Brighton trainers or face commuting to brighton via southeastern high speed

There were also delays as the 700s entered service with trainees unable to drive (awaiting traction training) hence the DI driving wasting a resource ... also spending five weeks on traction many wouldn't drive once qualified. Add to that Sutton loops when there were only a few jobs at Bridges /Brighton at the time and it took a long time to sign all routes plus diversions unlike other depots where routes can be gradually signed off

So yeah many variables

Last edited: 13 May 2019
  7. Longggday

Longggday Member

Do you know whether this is the same GWR?

8. tiptoptaff

tiptoptaff Established Member

Read above

9. Ebee

Ebee Member

DMI done. Felt more like an induction than an interview. Very nice interviewers.

10. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

It was the same for me, one of the best I’d felt about an interview for sometime. What depot you apply for? Best of luck!

11. Ebee

Ebee Member

I applied for Paddington. So would be HEX.

12. Ebee

Ebee Member

Got an email saying I have been successful in my DMI :). I am officially in the pool awaiting medical. :D:D:D

13. Des587

Des587 Member

Congratulations. Have you been giving a start date, thought medical were booked as part of a conditional offer

14. Ebee

Ebee Member

During the interview they said the next course may be in October. So I'm just waiting for a medical. Or see what happens in the meantime

15. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

The conditional offer comes when they pull you out of the pool. The pool is where you’re placed until a vacancy becomes available.

16. Ebee

Ebee Member

Missed a call from recruitment this morning. Now the number I've been asked to ring is not be answered haha irony.

17. Ebee

Ebee Member

Start date confirmed for October :)

18. Termy

Termy Member

Well, now I really need to pull out all the stops on Friday... XD

19. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Quick turnaround for you then! Congrats!

20. Longggday

Longggday Member

Congrats everyone getting a start date.

It’s great to see things progress.

Last edited: 15 May 2019
  21. Ebee

Ebee Member

I'm sure you will do fine. Seems like they really need drivers and you know your stuff good luck!

22. Ebee

Ebee Member

Yh seriously was I was in the pool one day :-/

23. Goingloco

Goingloco Member

:p that's brilliant, congrats. It is amusing how it's so different from person to person, almost like a lottery.