• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshT10

Have u received an email to do the second assessment?

Yes mate I received an email this morning, I will attempt the test tomorrow now as I'm fairly tired and might not be able to concentrate as well as I'd like to!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Des587

First Group careers page has now removed the trainee advert. Let the sifting begin, good luck to all

First Group careers page has now removed the trainee advert. Let the sifting begin, good luck to all
Thank you Des587, I would love to become a train operator! It can be hard, but I will try, because without trying failure is assured.

Walshy23

Hi all, just wondering but I’ve recently applied for GWR talent pool as trainee train driver. Understand it takes a while for anything to happen (if it ever does at all) but during the mean time is there any sources available people could recommend to help me learn about the railways in preparation for if anything happens, signals, signs, terminology, types of trains. Stuff like that. I’ve recently started watching YouTube videos to help start expanding my knowledge but was just wondering if anyone had good websites, book or YouTube channels that they would recommend. Thank you in advance if anyone helps :)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Do not try and pre-learn. It is a massive mistake. You will not understand what the applications of each rule and variance on signalling, signage etc will be. It is the instructors job to teach you, so leave it to them if you get there.

Jaytrains

Mine did the same, in the end freezing completely. I didn’t have to do them anyway but as I received a reminder at the weekend I decided as a precaution to do the second test (I was overthinking again and thought they may not have updated my file to say I didn’t need to do them ;)). Anyway, I phoned them up and I’m still all good. I’d imagine if there’s a technical glitch you’ll get to redo it, however yours only froze momentarily so I’m not sure they’ll allow this?
I rang them and they said that they can’t let me re do the assessment because I clicked on the button confirming that I completed the assessment afterwards im 100% sure that i got all 38 questions right its just the last two that I couldn’t answer when it totally crashed

Walshy23

Do not try and pre-learn. It is a massive mistake. You will not understand what the applications of each rule and variance on signalling, signage etc will be. It is the instructors job to teach you, so leave it to them if you get there.

Ahh ok, I understand. Thank you for the advise. It was mainly just to educate myself a bit more so I’m not so completely clueless. Even When just reading some of your guys threads I find myself googling what your talking about lol

Hi all, just wondering but I’ve recently applied for GWR talent pool as trainee train driver. Understand it takes a while for anything to happen (if it ever does at all) but during the mean time is there any sources available people could recommend to help me learn about the railways in preparation for if anything happens, signals, signs, terminology, types of trains. Stuff like that. I’ve recently started watching YouTube videos to help start expanding my knowledge but was just wondering if anyone had good websites, book or YouTube channels that they would recommend. Thank you in advance if anyone helps :)

I second this, Do NOT pre-learn. Also if you are asked to do something that places a risk on yourself and others , under workforce regulations, you are entitled to NOT carry out that duty, I have learnt this the hard way.

Walshy23

I too have also learned the hard way, I got my hand trapped under a 4 tonne machine leaving only a 40mm gap between a few months ago. Very painful. And all because I had a customer really wanting a machine moved before end of day, knowing we didn’t have the right kit we tried anyway as to not let him down. Needless to say, I won’t do it again. No equipment to do it safely, no work gets done. I’ll take a telling off next time

Anyway..... thank you for the advise. I’ll stick to just building my knowledge of the railways in general rather than driver specific things

Ahh ok, I understand. Thank you for the advise. It was mainly just to educate myself a bit more so I’m not so completely clueless. Even When just reading some of your guys threads I find myself googling what your talking about lol
Yeah I was in the same situation as you. I knew absolutely nothing about the railway when I got a trainee driver post but don't worry, you'll soon know your notch 3's from your bogies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I too have also learned the hard way, I got my hand trapped under a 4 tonne machine leaving only a 40mm gap between a few months ago. Very painful. And all because I had a customer really wanting a machine moved before end of day, knowing we didn’t have the right kit we tried anyway as to not let him down. Needless to say, I won’t do it again. No equipment to do it safely, no work gets done. I’ll take a telling off next time

Anyway..... thank you for the advise. I’ll stick to just building my knowledge of the railways in general rather than driver specific things
I'd still advise against trying to learn too much. If you self-teach and teach yourself wrong, when you come to be taught correctly, you will struggle, as you are trying to unlearn and relearn.

If you know nothing, that's absolutely fine, but it's better to know nothing when you start and let them build your knowledge. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

No problem, join the union ASAP if your not in one. I'm in RMT, I should attend the meetings! Getting lazy, hibernating now!

Josh Bussell

Evening all, I have applied for the trainee position and completed the alphanumerical test, I have no idea how long I will have to wait until I hear if i passed or failed. Any ideas on time scale with these kinda things?

THANK YOU

Stigy

Established Member
Evening all, I have applied for the trainee position and completed the alphanumerical test, I have no idea how long I will have to wait until I hear if i passed or failed. Any ideas on time scale with these kinda things?

THANK YOU
From experience it’s a matter of a day or two, but I didn’t have to take them this time round.

Stigy

Established Member
I haven’t yet received this assessment, can you tell me how long I’m likely to have to wait?!
When did you apply? These assessments should follow immediately after applying and I believe all applicants sit them?

Jaytrains

You can check your progress by looking on the recruitment portal. It's likely to be weeks rather than days so don't worry just yet. You will be told either way
Is it a good sign if u receive an email saying that the hiring manager is reviewing your application??

Jaytrains

I would say yes. Have you had an email to this effect then?
I wish, my mate applied for the shunter role at the woking depot and she received that email 3/4 days ago before the closing date of the vacancy which is today i guess its a good sign too, thanks for the feedback i’ll let her know

Status
Not open for further replies.