• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony43

Evening all, I have applied for the trainee position and completed the alphanumerical test, I have no idea how long I will have to wait until I hear if i passed or failed. Any ideas on time scale with these kinda things?

THANK YOU
last time I applied for GWR took online tests in oct 2017 got reply in Jan 2018 and an assessment day in june 2018 lots of patience required if you haven't had a no look on the bright side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Omar

If you are successfully with the online assessment, what's the next stage? Is it a telephone interview?

FGW_DID

Established Member
GWR has binned the telephone interview (don’t know if that’s across all of First Group)

Walshy23

I got to do the Alphanumeric test, but during it I got disturbed by my neighbour which cost me a little time. I got to Q40 but then the timer ran out. I’m prettt sure I did very well up until that point (100% I think so, could be wrong though) does anyone know if that would cost me a instant rejection as I technically didn’t finish, or would they be ok with what I produced in the time given?

Stigy

Established Member
I got to do the Alphanumeric test, but during it I got disturbed by my neighbour which cost me a little time. I got to Q40 but then the timer ran out. I’m prettt sure I did very well up until that point (100% I think so, could be wrong though) does anyone know if that would cost me a instant rejection as I technically didn’t finish, or would they be ok with what I produced in the time given?
It would probably count as an incorrect answer, but not an instant fail. How many questions were there? Thought it was 40? They'd probably allow a couple of mistakes even if it is very easy.

Edit: Re-read it and can see you got to the last Q but didn't complete it? I doubt 1 question would matter, but one can never be sure of course.

simonw22

I wish, my mate applied for the shunter role at the woking depot and she received that email 3/4 days ago before the closing date of the vacancy which is today i guess its a good sign too, thanks for the feedback i’ll let her know
I wouldnt worry thats a completely different role

Des587

Apologies if this has been asked before, can anyone tell me how long MMI etc are valid for? I applied for a job with First in 2015 where I had to sit the drivers assessment. I passed all the tests. I am curious as I have had two responses, one person says 3 years and the other says 5. TIA

Picklebutton

Apologies if this has been asked before, can anyone tell me how long MMI etc are valid for? I applied for a job with First in 2015 where I had to sit the drivers assessment. I passed all the tests. I am curious as I have had two responses, one person says 3 years and the other says 5. TIA
It depends on the TOC/FOC. Some are three years, some are five. Speak to the HR department as they will be able to advise.

Stigy

Established Member
That’s the problem, both answers were from HR
I was advised earlier in this thread that it’s 5-years for GWR. It’s not the same for all First Group TOCs though, as SWR is 3-years. I’m in the same boat so looking for TOCs/FOCs who can use the tests for up to 5-years. It’s annoying because I currently work for SWR and wouldnhave to retake all but the Group Borden and MMI if I went with them. I’m holding out at the moment as I don’t want to risk taking and failing any tests and being back to square one, if somebody will accept my current results (awaiting the outcome of a DB Cargo interview at the moment).

Des587

I was advised earlier in this thread that it’s 5-years for GWR. It’s not the same for all First Group TOCs though, as SWR is 3-years. I’m in the same boat so looking for TOCs/FOCs who can use the tests for up to 5-years. It’s annoying because I currently work for SWR and wouldnhave to retake all but the Group Borden and MMI if I went with them. I’m holding out at the moment as I don’t want to risk taking and failing any tests and being back to square one, if somebody will accept my current results (awaiting the outcome of a DB Cargo interview at the moment).
Cheers Stigy, will have to wait and see what the outcome is, all the best with your application(s).

Picklebutton

That’s the problem, both answers were from HR
Agreed it’s not terribly helpful if the same HR dept are giving you two different answers. For the record, SWR is 3 years, but I have no idea if that time span is blanketed across all First Group companies.

Val3ntine

Agreed it’s not terribly helpful if the same HR dept are giving you two different answers. For the record, SWR is 3 years, but I have no idea if that time span is blanketed across all First Group companies.

Totally different HR departments. All TOCS manage their HR independently regardless of same parent company or not

Val3ntine

First Group have a centralised HR dept, for various things

Fair enough, but I know for sure that if you get through to assesment centre/interviews it will be at totally different places depending on the TOC you applied with. Hence different rules/conditions for each TOC.
For example SWR do DMI becore MMI whereas I believe GWR do it the other way round

Stigy

Established Member
Well they have a portal for everything, but SWR have their own HR team still and you have to contact them directly.
Indeed. And I can confirm SWR is 3-years too. I believe FirstGroup may still have a centralised HR delartment for other things though (their bus operations maybe?).

Indeed. And I can confirm SWR is 3-years too. I believe FirstGroup may still have a centralised HR delartment for other things though (their bus operations maybe?).

They seem to be handling the applications for other companies (TOCs) in the group, but just not SWR, which seems slightly strange but that's the way it is. I've found that phoning SWR recruitment is usually more productive than emailing them.

Stigy

Established Member
They seem to be handling the applications for other companies (TOCs) in the group, but just not SWR, which seems slightly strange but that's the way it is. I've found that phoning SWR recruitment is usually more productive than emailing them.
Maybe they just haven’t changed over properly yet? I know SWR only recently started using the FirstGroup application forms/processes for recruitment. They seem to be staying put at the moment though.

Walshy23

I’ve just received an email telling me I’ve been unsuccessful this time round for the talent pool. Pretty gutting to read really. To be fair, from filling out the application form then joining this forum I’ve come to realise my application form must of been so weak, as I didn’t realise the work and effort needed to go into them. I’ll try again on the next pool but will definitely take more time to fill it out properly. So wish I joined this forum first. Oh well tho, the long wait for the next recruiting phase starts now.

Anyone else received good news yet?

I’ve just received an email telling me I’ve been unsuccessful this time round for the talent pool. Pretty gutting to read really. To be fair, from filling out the application form then joining this forum I’ve come to realise my application form must of been so weak, as I didn’t realise the work and effort needed to go into them. I’ll try again on the next pool but will definitely take more time to fill it out properly. So wish I joined this forum first. Oh well tho, the long wait for the next recruiting phase starts now.

Anyone else received good news yet?

Sorry to hear that you didn't make the sift.. was it for the recent 'future opportunities' vacancies?

Walshy23

Sorry to hear that you didn't make the sift.. was it for the recent 'future opportunities' vacancies?

Edit - just noticed your location on your profile. Could that be the reason you didn't get through?

It was for the GWR first group trainee driver in Bristol. Was definitely the weak lack of effort on the application form and not finishing the alphanumeric test due to a distraction. Lessons to be learnt here for me!

John OSullivan

I haven’t, I only applied a couple of weeks ago, passed the 2 online assessments and that’s it so far for me?

Lmc1976

Has anyone received an email today from GWR inviting them to an assessment centre?

I recieved a thanks but no thanks from GWR today, although a friend of mine also received an invite for an assessment centre so I would imagine most people will be hearing a result very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.