• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Hull Trains Class 180's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Does anyone know how you find the unit number on these units? I haven't been able to find it anywhere!

All I know is I am currently in coach 50902 and other coaches also end 902 though it isn't really helping me work anything out...

Also, why did they put FC in the middle at refurb rather than keeping it in the end coach? Not that I'm complaining...coach E is rather pleasant :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Last 2 digits of the vehicle number identifies the set number so 50902 is the DMDS of 180102. First class was never in an end vehicle, the MF (coach D) is the 54 car which is next to the DMDS (coach E).

The set number should be displayed on the hatch that comes down to cover the coupler when not in use but for some reason these get left in the raised position these days which also means the set number can't be seen.

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
FC has always been in coach D; they were going to move it to the end coach during refurb but it was more of a priority to keep the 180s in service.

I remember seeing HT's 180109 at Kings Cross, forgot whether I used the carriage number or the number on the coupling, either way there wasn't a 180xxx number on it.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I remember seeing HT's 180109 at Kings Cross, forgot whether I used the carriage number or the number on the coupling, either way there wasn't a 180xxx number on it.

Some have them above the coupler but they seem to ware off from what I can see.

Crossover

Established Member
Ah right. Do all The coaches have the headset sockets then? Just in coach E it said earplugs could be purchased from the FC shop, hence me wondering if it was a relic of the past.

180's have hatches? :shock: I don't think I have ever seen one with it down...I know GC have the number on the electrical hatch part of the coupling.

I looked at Wiki for some gen and it didn't have 102 listed as a HT one so that confused me more. I have since read it is a set on loan from somewhere

driver9000

Established Member
Yes all 180s had a hatch over the coupler. Besides tidying the look of the front up it acted as part of the streamlining. The Northern trio were rarely seen with the hatches raised (they raise up into the nose and the coupler extends out). All 180 driving cars carried the vehicle number on the dust cover to the coupler pin block as far as I'm aware.

Only coach E had the audio equipment.

Crossover

Established Member
GC definitely carry the unit number on the electrical connections dust cover, where it hasn't worn off. I have just seen another HT set and it did have the carriage number on there. I wonder if 102 is different again as it nothing on the dust covers...I checked both ends. Also, on 102 the carriage numbers themselves were in a different, very thin font compared to the other I just saw

Temple Meads

Established Member
The coupling hatches (along with the light covers, and the horn covers) have a nasty, and very common habit, of falling off.

Thus, I thing they may keep try to keep them raised if the things are still there at all!

driver9000

Established Member
If you want to work out the set number simply replace the 9 with a 1.

Coach A - 599xx DMSL
Coach B - 569xx MKS
Coach C - 559xx MS
Coach D - 549xx MF
Coach E - 509xx DMDS
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The coupling hatches (along with the light covers, and the horn covers) have a nasty, and very common habit, of falling off.

The horn grilles still manage to work themselves loose creating an annoying rattle in the cab when they do. I have heard stories from the very early days of GW operating the 180 that some of the coupler hatches were the victim of drivers occasionally forgetting to raise the hatch and extend the couplers before attaching resulting in the lowered hatch getting bashed.

Lampshade

Established Member
Ah right. Do all The coaches have the headset sockets then? Just in coach E it said earplugs could be purchased from the FC shop, hence me wondering if it was a relic of the past.

Just coach E. When 180106 was with Northern the audio system was sometimes switched on, problem is it would only pick up Radio 4 :(

180's have hatches? :shock: I don't think I have ever seen one with it down...I know GC have the number on the electrical hatch part of the coupling.

Northern ran with them down; GC and HT seem to always run with them up, almost anticipating needing to be rescued :lol:

I looked at Wiki for some gen and it didn't have 102 listed as a HT one so that confused me more. I have since read it is a set on loan from somewhere

I've lost track of it all now, last time I knew GC had 102 while HT had GC's 101 while 114 was in for maintenance, then again that was November. The logical explanation is maintenance on 114 was finished so 102 went to HT to cover refurbs of theirs.

:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.