• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First in Northampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
The new planned station is FAR FAR FAR too small. For all its faults Greyfriars handles the traffic it needs to handle very well. A lot would change if it was kitted out with better paintwork, powered doors, more lighting, more security and more shop outlets and other things to liven the place up a bit. It's dark and grotty because it hasn't been looked after, which is true for the town centre at large. With some TLC and some refurbishment work the existing station can be made pleasant and usable, whereas building an under-sized joke of a station to replace it will strangle Northampton's economy even further and just send more and more visitors and shoppers in the direction of MK, Bedford, Corby and Market Harborough. So I implore Northampton not to shoot itself in the foot by going ahead with this plan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Maybe local people could get together and takeover using profitable services to cross subsidise those deemed socially necessary. Maybe they could get their local council to do it for them on their behalf. Maybe they could call it Northampton Corporation Transport.

martinsh

Established Member
Maybe local people could get together and takeover using profitable services to cross subsidise those deemed socially necessary. Maybe they could get their local council to do it for them on their behalf. Maybe they could call it Northampton Corporation Transport.

Maybe they could run some Roe bodied Daimler CVGa as well ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dh73/2240159110/

Schnellzug

Established Member
i've never been to Northampton (at least, I haven't got off a train there; I do apologise), so I can't comment on what the current Bus station may be like, but the artists' impression looks quite daring. I suppose it all depends on whether access to & from it it is convenient enough, which is the problam at Bath, for example.

markie73

I have just read on another forum that First Northampton is in discussion with Stagecoach about taking over their X7 Northampton - Leicester service (which will become based at First Leicester depot) and in return Stagecoach will take over First Northampton's service 4 and 4A,if this is true is the start of the end for First Northampton?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the 10 years I've lived in Northampton, First seem to have been in wholesale retreat. They've abandoned swathes of the town, their fleet seems to be old and in poor condition when compared to Stagecoach, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did pull out.

Likely buyers?

Stagecoach - possibly though may attract the interest of the Competition authorities.

Arriva - unlikely, too small and far away from their other operations to make sense.

Go Ahead - unlikely, can't see why they'd want it.

Centrebus - possibly. Seem to be expanding into Northants, bought out Judges in the Corby area, would First Northampton would fit their approach.

Other Independent? - Not sure who'd consider it. Yorks have pulled out of stage carriage work, Z&S are out of area.

Whoever buys it, I'd expect the garage in St James to close - it's far too large for the operations First Northampton would be selling.

First used to have 22+ routes in Northampton now its down to about 6,my money would be on Stagecoach picking up the pieces should First Northampton close or be sold.

As for the garage in St.James it would not suprise me if Stagecoach set up camp there especialy as the Greyfriars bus station is due tobe demolished (hopefully) as this is the present home for the majority of thier Northampton fleet.

MK Tom

Established Member
First's remaining services are the 2, 4, 4A, 12, 23, 28, 29 and 30. They also have a number of school contract routes. It'd be a bad thing for Northampton if they left as they offer lower fares than the absolutely absurd fares Stagecoach charge. Then again they also don't invest in the town in any way (compare both Northampton operators to the investment Arriva have put into their MK operation - neither holds a candle). So if someone like Centrebus took over, it could be a good thing for the town. The only independent I can see going for it is Meridian and I doubt they're in a position to. Z&S are more interested in expanding in MK right now it seems having just taken on the 11/12 here in addition to the 17, 18, 33 and 43.

Ivo

Established Member
How many other locations are there where First and Stagecoach are in direct competition with each other (Manchester and London don't count ;))? As a general rule of thumb, which is the stronger in these locations? Which is more powerful in Portsmouth for instance, or are the two operations too different from one-another to count?

martinsh

Established Member
How many other locations are there where First and Stagecoach are in direct competition with each other (Manchester and London don't count ;))? As a general rule of thumb, which is the stronger in these locations? Which is more powerful in Portsmouth for instance, or are the two operations too different from one-another to count?

Sheffield / Rotherham / Doncaster for a start ...

MCW

I have just read on another forum that First Northampton is in discussion with Stagecoach about taking over their X7 Northampton - Leicester service (which will become based at First Leicester depot) and in return Stagecoach will take over First Northampton's service 4 and 4A,if this is true is the start of the end for First Northampton?

First used to have 22+ routes in Northampton now its down to about 6,my money would be on Stagecoach picking up the pieces should First Northampton close or be sold.

As for the garage in St.James it would not suprise me if Stagecoach set up camp there especialy as the Greyfriars bus station is due tobe demolished (hopefully) as this is the present home for the majority of thier Northampton fleet.

that would be a balls up from the start. the leicester fleet is all standard and I can't see how those rat taggy things we have are going to manage doing the X7.... unless more buses are drafted in.

I can see why they would do a route swap though....

markie73

First's remaining services are the 2, 4, 4A, 12, 23, 28, 29 and 30. They also have a number of school contract routes. It'd be a bad thing for Northampton if they left as they offer lower fares than the absolutely absurd fares Stagecoach charge. Then again they also don't invest in the town in any way (compare both Northampton operators to the investment Arriva have put into their MK operation - neither holds a candle). So if someone like Centrebus took over, it could be a good thing for the town. The only independent I can see going for it is Meridian and I doubt they're in a position to. Z&S are more interested in expanding in MK right now it seems having just taken on the 11/12 here in addition to the 17, 18, 33 and 43.

Point taken but whilst in Greyfriars Bus Station earlier Stagecoach had quite a few brand new single low floor buses come into operation today so they are investing as for the First bus X7 rumor then this will be operated by First Leicester based units which are newer then the crabby things we have here in Northampton!
that would be a balls up from the start. the leicester fleet is all standard and I can't see how those rat taggy things we have are going to manage doing the X7.... unless more buses are drafted in.

I can see why they would do a route swap though....

But is the leicester fleet newer?, I seem to recall back in 2005/6 we had a number of brand new leicester based double deckers doing the rounds for First Northampton.

As for Stagecoach (hopefully) taking over the 4 and 4A that can only be a good thing as both routes are subject to unreliability,I dont mind paying a more expensive fare if it gives us newer,cleaner buses and greater reliability in return.

BuhSnarf

The Leicester fleet is a mix of old and new.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 with Tapatalk.

markie73

oldest we have is twelve years old.

things are hammered though to be honest.

I think that First Northamptons Eclipse's are 9 - 10 years old 02/03 plates and the Gemini's are about 7 years old 05 plates,either way they are hammered as well! - the number of eclipses being towed back to the depot each day after breaking down proves that!
The Leicester fleet is a mix of old and new.

I am suprised that Firstgroup have not spent anymore money on newer buses for Northampton given that the last new equipment (apart from the school buses) was delivered back in 2005,maybe they are slowly winding down the Northampton operation?.

MK Tom

Established Member
maybe they are slowly winding down the Northampton operation?.

I think that's been the general finding of this thread. October 2010 was the last time they closed routes down, shedding the 5 and the 22 to Stagecoach and in doing so pretty much handing them the keys to the city. They claimed they were letting the 5 go due to low usage after putting all their worst vehicles on it and watching everyone switch to nearby SC services. Now if the 4 goes... it'll just be the 2, 28, 29 and 30 left, and that little Brackmills shuttle. That's hardly an operation at all.

A0wen

On Moderation
[Mod Note - Content Removed]

The new planned station is FAR FAR FAR too small.

I assume you've looked at the plans rather than just read the rubbish which is printed on the Northampton Chron website and regurgitated by Look East?

Greyfriars is way, way too big - the express coach bays are empty for over 90% of the time. The whole footprint of the site is too big, mainly because it doubles up as a garage / stabling point for Stagecoach. It has been agreed that Stagecoach will stable their buses elsewhere, so overall a smaller bus station will probably be far more fit for purpose in capacity terms than Greyfriars is.

A lot would change if it was kitted out with better paintwork, powered doors, more lighting, more security and more shop outlets and other things to liven the place up a bit. It's dark and grotty because it hasn't been looked after, which is true for the town centre at large. With some TLC and some refurbishment work the existing station can be made pleasant and usable,

It's already got powered doors, reasonable lighting, CCTV and cafe / shops. It is dark and grotty because it is enclosed with an office block over the top of it - large solid roofs tend not to be condusive to bright airy spaces, as Birmingham New Street and Euston also demonstrate to good effect. It's way beyond the "TLC" stage.

whereas building an under-sized joke of a station to replace it will strangle Northampton's economy even further and just send more and more visitors and shoppers in the direction of MK, Bedford, Corby and Market Harborough.

Wrong - on so many levels. People do not go to a specific town because it's got a nicer bus station. They go there because:

1 - choice of shops
2 - transport links / parking

Nobody chooses to go to a town because it's got a nicer bus station than the alternative. The majority of the buses going into Northampton bus station are local services from the various areas around Northampton, most of which DON'T have a direct service to an alternative destination in any case.

And given that it's unlikely that the bus brings in more than 50% of the visitors into the town, there are 50% who are totally unaffected by this scheme.

It's also worth remembering that the demolition of Greyfriars is integral to the expansion of the Grosvenor Centre - the aim of which is to attract more not fewer shoppers into Northampton.

So I implore Northampton not to shoot itself in the foot by going ahead with this plan.

And as somebody who lives in Northampton, I can't wait for them to get rid of the bloody thing. It's an ugly, dingy place to go to. It's a nightmare to get to the railway station from - the new site will be a much easier walk for that - and the improvements to the Grosvenor Centre are long overdue.

MK Tom

Established Member
You know there are ways of correcting someone without being exceptionally rude to them. The doors most certainly are not powered, but that's the only point I'm up to countering right now. And yeah I have looked over the plans. I do use the current station every week what with going to university in Northampton. I hadn't realised the point about SC stabling elsewhere so I concede that. Please use a more pleasant tone when making points in future though, lines like 'ive heard some nonsense but this is exceptional' are personally insulting and not acceptable on a forum like this one.

The reason I came on here and saw that was that I'm getting a lot of rumours thrown at me about Centrebus being offered the First operation. Does anyone have access to any official word on this?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

No reason why the B7RLEs cannot do a turn on the X7. Maybe they can even get the 6698x's back.

But is the leicester fleet newer?, I seem to recall back in 2005/6 we had a number of brand new leicester based double deckers doing the rounds for First Northampton.

Yes, some B7TLs, as well as some B7Ls, went on hire to First Northampton.

oldest we have is twelve years old.

The oldest PSV in the fleet is now 32053 (ex-213) iirc?

On that note, does anyone know why both Leicester and Northampton are now registered in Chelmsford?

Ivo

Established Member
My source suggests 32053 is one of a large batch of B7TLs in Leicester, and that those are indeed the oldest vehicles left in revenue operation (my source is from October however). Relating to the other note, unless they have started coming under East of england (which I highly doubt, and even if they did Norwich would make more sense), I can't explain why they are registered in Chelmsford. I do remember you mentioning "somewhere in Essex" before though.

They are rather remote though as far as First go, which may explain it.

Obviously I don't know either operation (I've done one single journey on Northampton's 4 (?) and that's it) though, so I can't say for certain.

BuhSnarf

I am suprised that Firstgroup have not spent anymore money on newer buses for Northampton given that the last new equipment (apart from the school buses) was delivered back in 2005,maybe they are slowly winding down the Northampton operation?.

I believe that's the last time Leicester got some buses too!

A0wen

On Moderation
You know there are ways of correcting someone without being exceptionally rude to them. The doors most certainly are not powered, but that's the only point I'm up to countering right now. And yeah I have looked over the plans. I do use the current station every week what with going to university in Northampton. I hadn't realised the point about SC stabling elsewhere so I concede that. Please use a more pleasant tone when making points in future though, lines like 'ive heard some nonsense but this is exceptional' are personally insulting and not acceptable on a forum like this one.

The reason I came on here and saw that was that I'm getting a lot of rumours thrown at me about Centrebus being offered the First operation. Does anyone have access to any official word on this?

Well, I was pointing out the flaws in your post, sorry that you didn't like the tone, but I do "say what I see".

Now, by your own admission you use Greyfriars on a weekly basis to get to Uni.

On this basis I have a question for you, was the bus station in Northampton a deciding factor in your choice of Northampton as the place to study when comparing it to other places. And if it wasn't, what were the deciding factors?

markie73

[Mod Note - Content Removed]

I assume you've looked at the plans rather than just read the rubbish which is printed on the Northampton Chron website and regurgitated by Look East?

Greyfriars is way, way too big - the express coach bays are empty for over 90% of the time. The whole footprint of the site is too big, mainly because it doubles up as a garage / stabling point for Stagecoach. It has been agreed that Stagecoach will stable their buses elsewhere, so overall a smaller bus station will probably be far more fit for purpose in capacity terms than Greyfriars is.

It's already got powered doors, reasonable lighting, CCTV and cafe / shops. It is dark and grotty because it is enclosed with an office block over the top of it - large solid roofs tend not to be condusive to bright airy spaces, as Birmingham New Street and Euston also demonstrate to good effect. It's way beyond the "TLC" stage.

Wrong - on so many levels. People do not go to a specific town because it's got a nicer bus station. They go there because:

1 - choice of shops
2 - transport links / parking

Nobody chooses to go to a town because it's got a nicer bus station than the alternative. The majority of the buses going into Northampton bus station are local services from the various areas around Northampton, most of which DON'T have a direct service to an alternative destination in any case.

And given that it's unlikely that the bus brings in more than 50% of the visitors into the town, there are 50% who are totally unaffected by this scheme.

It's also worth remembering that the demolition of Greyfriars is integral to the expansion of the Grosvenor Centre - the aim of which is to attract more not fewer shoppers into Northampton.

And as somebody who lives in Northampton, I can't wait for them to get rid of the bloody thing. It's an ugly, dingy place to go to. It's a nightmare to get to the railway station from - the new site will be a much easier walk for that - and the improvements to the Grosvenor Centre are long overdue.

I agree with your words,

Greyfriars bus station would cost more to refurbish (approx £30m) and new interchange has been mooted as costing less then £8m so it would be a no brainer to build a new facility,but I am concerned that the new facility will not be big enough - OK so the drapery will be part of this project but wouldn't the new bus interchange be better suited to the car park next to the court building? it has better entrance and exit roads (The Mounts and Ladys Lane) and has more space for a decent sized interchange/bus station.

The existing facility has fallen further into neglect,smashed windows being left boarded up,toilets filthy,staircases not cleaned and smell disgusting,toilets in a bad state of repair,escalators keep breaking down,electronic destination boards broken,water ingress into the concrete structure causing numerous leaks into the subways,the old coach bays have been permanently sealed off.

There is only one newspaper shop,a little used restuarant (used tobe council owned many years ago) and also the stagecoach travel shop.

The CCTV is now operating to the minimums, electric sliding doors was tried out back in 1996/97 (Bay A) and this was abandoned with the doors left open and only closed by hand when the station is 'locked up' at the end of the services.

As a resident of Northampton I hope that demolition of the existing facility is confirmed so that the town can move forward,Northampton is a former glory of its self and needs tobe re-established asap,my only worry is that the plans for a major retail development in rushden does not put this 12 year old project in doubt.
I think that's been the general finding of this thread. October 2010 was the last time they closed routes down, shedding the 5 and the 22 to Stagecoach and in doing so pretty much handing them the keys to the city. They claimed they were letting the 5 go due to low usage after putting all their worst vehicles on it and watching everyone switch to nearby SC services. Now if the 4 goes... it'll just be the 2, 28, 29 and 30 left, and that little Brackmills shuttle. That's hardly an operation at all.

I used to use the 5 and the 5A and early morning and late afternoon/evening they was always busy so I dont know where First dreamed that excuse up!,I sent a e-mail the other day to First and got the reply that First Northampton is NOT closing down or being disposed of,I also sent a e-mail to Stagecoach but have not had any response!,I'm drawing my own conclusions on this one.

Stagecoach seem tobe doing a good job of running this service (5),they use newish buses and always seem tobe busy,the only difference in their route is that they no longer serve Riverside Retail Park as this is now part of the 17 service.

IF Stagecoach take over the number 4 service this can only be a good thing as this route needs a serious kick up the backside.

MK Tom

Established Member
Well, I was pointing out the flaws in your post, sorry that you didn't like the tone, but I do "say what I see".

Now, by your own admission you use Greyfriars on a weekly basis to get to Uni.

On this basis I have a question for you, was the bus station in Northampton a deciding factor in your choice of Northampton as the place to study when comparing it to other places. And if it wasn't, what were the deciding factors?

No you're quite right, my decision was made entirely on the university itself and the town had no role in the decision whatsoever other than its proximity to MK. Likewise a lot of the points you made before are entirely valid and true. However I would say that a bus station functions as a gateway, and having one that's undersized and forces services to drop off in other locations presents a bad image. MK has suffered from this problem quite significantly since we lost our bus station - if you come into MK by bus you get the impression that we're not important enough to have an actual bus terminal, and the consequence of not having one is the overcrowded mess of Lower Ninth Street. I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to the Drapery.

Walking through Greyfriars this morning I couldn't help but be swayed by the arguments of the people like yourself saying how dark and mank it is. I think I look at it through the eyes of a transport enthusiast and an architecture enthusiast and enjoy this gigantic building that acts as a transport hub for an entire county. I love the building for that. I understand after thinking about it how that building presents an unwelcoming environment to the average member of the public. I still believe that an extensive refurbishment could do wonders for it, but I appreciate the benefits of replacing it. I just think its replacement needs to be a fair bit bigger than the one currently being proposed.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
One thing about Greyfriars is that is a bit of a landmark and must be one of the few towns where the bus station overshadows the rail station in it's size and stature. That said, it is a bit of a dismal hole, though most bus stations are. Quite often the replacements can be worse and people could end up lamenting the demise of Greyfriars.
I used to like the Ribble Bus Staion in Skelhorne Street, Liverpool because it had a bit of character (along with a few shops and a bar -unusual in bus stations) though operationally it was a cramped and awkward space.
These days the emphasis seems to be totally based on operational functionality at the expense of a people friendly human environment.
You would and could (because of the shops and bar) hang around Skelhorne Street it had a more human feel to it which is something sadly lacking in today's bus station designs.

A0wen

On Moderation
No you're quite right, my decision was made entirely on the university itself and the town had no role in the decision whatsoever other than its proximity to MK. Likewise a lot of the points you made before are entirely valid and true. However I would say that a bus station functions as a gateway, and having one that's undersized and forces services to drop off in other locations presents a bad image. MK has suffered from this problem quite significantly since we lost our bus station - if you come into MK by bus you get the impression that we're not important enough to have an actual bus terminal, and the consequence of not having one is the overcrowded mess of Lower Ninth Street. I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to the Drapery.

Walking through Greyfriars this morning I couldn't help but be swayed by the arguments of the people like yourself saying how dark and mank it is. I think I look at it through the eyes of a transport enthusiast and an architecture enthusiast and enjoy this gigantic building that acts as a transport hub for an entire county. I love the building for that. I understand after thinking about it how that building presents an unwelcoming environment to the average member of the public. I still believe that an extensive refurbishment could do wonders for it, but I appreciate the benefits of replacing it. I just think its replacement needs to be a fair bit bigger than the one currently being proposed.

I very much doubt the people of Brackley, Oundle, Thrapston or even Corby, Towcester and Kettering would agree with your assertion that it acts as a "transport hub for an entire county".

It happens to be the bus station in the county town, but a transport hub for Northants? No, probably not.

Having said that, I can think of few counties where you might be able to make that claim in any case - Bedfordshire? Nope - you've got Luton and Bedford covering their own areas and Luton's reverted to on-street pick up / set down. Hertfordshire? Nope, Hertford doesn't even figure, though that's the county town. Stevenage, Welwyn, Hemel ? Not really, mainly focused on local services with a few 'inter-urban' routes. Hitchin, St Albans and Watford don't even have a bus station as such (and never have). Buckinghamshire? Well you've covered MK, Aylesbury has, I believe, a subterranian monster which never seems to be very popular, Wycombe appears to have a new facility, but a transport hub for the county?

In any case MK has a completely different problem, because the bus station was situated nowhere near the shopping centre. As I understand it the decision to resite the main bus stopping points in MK was driven by passenger demands of wanting to be near the shops rather than 3 blocks away outside the railway station.

MK Tom

Established Member
I very much doubt the people of Brackley, Oundle, Thrapston or even Corby, Towcester and Kettering would agree with your assertion that it acts as a "transport hub for an entire county".

It happens to be the bus station in the county town, but a transport hub for Northants? No, probably not.

Having said that, I can think of few counties where you might be able to make that claim in any case - Bedfordshire? Nope - you've got Luton and Bedford covering their own areas and Luton's reverted to on-street pick up / set down. Hertfordshire? Nope, Hertford doesn't even figure, though that's the county town. Stevenage, Welwyn, Hemel ? Not really, mainly focused on local services with a few 'inter-urban' routes. Hitchin, St Albans and Watford don't even have a bus station as such (and never have). Buckinghamshire? Well you've covered MK, Aylesbury has, I believe, a subterranian monster which never seems to be very popular, Wycombe appears to have a new facility, but a transport hub for the county?

In any case MK has a completely different problem, because the bus station was situated nowhere near the shopping centre. As I understand it the decision to resite the main bus stopping points in MK was driven by passenger demands of wanting to be near the shops rather than 3 blocks away outside the railway station.

MK's bus station was closed because buses were (by passenger demand as you say) rerouted to run down into Station Square because people couldn't manage the two minute walk from the front of the station over to the bus station. But the failure to put a station in the main part of the centre was a bit of a mistake.

Northants doesn't really compare with any of the other counties you mentioned. Bucks (excluding MK) is a bit of a dual-core situation of Aylesbury being the county town and Wycombe being much larger and more economically powerful. Bedfordshire is much the same. Hertfordshire is much like Staffordshire (excluding Stoke) and many others were you have a number of regionally significant towns that compete with each other. Northants is much more centralised - you have a few mini-towns like Brackley, Rushden and Towcester, a couple of larger ones in Daventry and Wellingborough, a pair of important local hubs in Kettering and Corby and then an absolute giant in the middle that dwarves everything except MK for tens of miles in all directions. Northampton is a transport hub insofar as anyone travelling between those smaller towns by bus has to route through it (except the Wellingborough-Corby corridor). It's also the place you change for journeys like MK-Leicester or journeys from any of the smaller towns to out-of-county places on the other side. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Corby and I wish it was a significant competitor to Northampton economically, but it's nowhere near that big yet.

Getting back to the topic, my concern is that an undersized bus station will do damage to the town centre as has happened to parts of CMK and Reading and Oxford where too many buses are rammed down the same street and it presents an unwelcoming and hard to navigate environment for incoming travellers and damages the street scene and in some cases even physically damages the street. I don't want to see Northampton being in that position and regretting not building a larger facility.

BuhSnarf

The ex South Yorkshire one? One I never managed to ride in its time here :cry:

Does that one have a cooling fan that sounds like a tornado approaching or is that just the original ones?

Surprised no one living on a first route has complained about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.