• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Noteworthy observations this evening were Scania 65764 on a Truro to Camborne ‘T1’ service arriving at Camborne at 1750 and five minutes later Vario 56003 departing late on the last ‘38’ service of the day to Praze-an-Beeble.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Dennis Trident 33172 in Atlantic Coasters 'A5' livery made a rare appearance on the Tinner route, when it worked the 10:35 T1 service from Truro bus station to Penzance bus station
There was a long, green-coloured single deck vehicle (sorry to be so imprecise!) on the T1 this p.m. peak as I pulled my car away from Morrison's car park. I don't know whether Truro bus services were affected by the partial closure of Truro town centre from before 10 a.m., which I believe lasted several hours, owing to an armed raid on a jeweller. Hayle By-Pass was also closed because of an accident middayish which always brings traffic chaos in Hayle.

83G/84D

Established Member
There was a long, green-coloured single deck vehicle (sorry to be so imprecise!) on the T1 this p.m. peak as I pulled my car away from Morrison's car park. I don't know whether Truro bus services were affected by the partial closure of Truro town centre from before 10 a.m., which I believe lasted several hours, owing to an armed raid on a jeweller. Hayle By-Pass was also closed because of an accident middayish which always brings traffic chaos in Hayle.

The green single deck vehicle may have been 65764 which I referred to in my last posting.

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 32755 on T2 duties this morning and 33172 on T1 services.
30879 also seen on the T1.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I’m currently sat on the demo Optare decker on the 1505 departure from Tremougg to penzance.
It’s got a nice engine tone, seats lack cushion. I’ll report back later on full opinion!

83G/84D

Established Member
I’m currently sat on the demo Optare decker on the 1505 departure from Tremougg to penzance.
It’s got a nice engine tone, seats lack cushion. I’ll report back later on full opinion!

I wondered where that had gone, it was in Camborne parked for about 10 days. Assumed wrongly it had gone back to the manufacturer.
Looking forward to your comprehensive report!

richw

Veteran Member
So the Optare thing... here comes my views.
Great thrashy engine and loud, like the olden days, it felt like it was shifting at good speeds, Seats lack padding,
Very airy with the larger window space.
Is it longer than a mmc, the driver appeared to struggle to get it round the tight corners at Praa Sands, or Maybe down to wheelbase.
Overall I preferred it to the MMCs, spec it the same with WiFi and usb and better cushion padding and for me it would be a winner.

Dhassell

Great thrashy engine and loud, like the olden days, it felt like it was shifting at good speeds, Seats lack padding,
Is it longer than a mmc, the driver appeared to struggle to get it round the tight corners at Praa Sands, or Maybe down to wheelbase.
Overall I preferred it to the MMCs, spec it the same with WiFi and usb and better cushion padding and for me it would be a winner.
Optare Metrodecker?

83G/84D

Established Member

Interesting, given that Optare don’t
seem to be having much impact in the sale of new double deck vehicles I would think that Optare should at the very least offer USB / WiFi as an option. Perhaps they do.
Did you find out how the seating capacity compares to a E400MMC?

Secondly did you ask the driver for any comments on the bus?

richw

Veteran Member
Did you find out how the seating capacity compares to a E400MMC?

Secondly did you ask the driver for any comments on the bus?

No on both counts I’m afraid, I did take an internal photo I think, but my phone battery has died, if I remember will share later

richw

Veteran Member
Just remembered I sent the internals to a Facebook contact so retrieved from facebook chat. The rear port hole was different, and that heater blew well!

2F1F01F7-F7C9-41BA-B63C-97C97AAD4758.jpeg 8A414697-8BB9-4AA3-A1FE-BFD56098559F.jpeg

MB162435

Established Member
East Lancashire Lolyne 32755 was on the 14:50 T2 service from Truro to St Ives, whereas an unidentified Tinner bus was on U3 duties and a second Tinner bus 33466 was on the 18:50 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Three of the buses on the U4 today were a blue MMC, a red MMC and the Optare demonstrator. The T1 appeared to be hosting a Trident tonight?

83G/84D

Established Member
Quite a few replacement vehicles on T1/ T2 services recently. I was told there was a Solo on service T3 yesterday. Unusual If true.

MB162435

Established Member
Quite a few replacement vehicles on T1/ T2 services recently. I was told there was a Solo on service T3 yesterday. Unusual If true.
I caught the 13:30 T3 from Truro College to the bus station yesterday and it was the usual Tinner bus and the other T3 was also a Tinner, so the Solo probably wasn't on the T3 route unless something went wrong later on in the day but haven't seen anything to say it did. The T1/T2 services have seen the unusual buses such as a Uni MMC, Trident and East Lancashire Lolyne but the T3 has just seen Tinners all week

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 42871 on T1 service in Truro earlier today, “Tinner” MMC on U2 service late morning.

MB162435

Established Member
Uni E400 MMC 33471 worked the 13:35 T1 service from Truro bus station to Penzance, whereas two Tinners were on Uni services, 33466 was on the 13:05 U1 service from Truro to Falmouth Moor and another unidentified Tinner on the 13:05 U4 service from Penryn Campus to Penzance bus station

83G/84D

Established Member
Rail replacement weekend, so many Tinners "gone North" for the replacement.

Do you know what Rail replacement work they are on?

The rail replacement services in Plymouth last weekend were a mixture of coaches from various operators.

MB162435

Established Member
Tinner bus 33467 was on the 11:50 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro and the 12:35 return service

For those who didn't know of it, I've managed to secure some very good info!

AFJ706T is in storage at Penzance, along with P430ORL and VOD125K. (Preserved)

WK52SYE is now in Bodmin.

S554RWP is stored in taunton, no longer withdrawn. (Preserved)

S825WYD is stored in Newquay. (Preserved)

It has now been confirmed by First that 19 Enviro 400 MMCs are being delivered this year for the east of Cornwall in the Green Kernow colours.

However, two more are being delivered for the U4 which will soon replace the old standard route 2.

Also, Five Enviro 200 MMCs are being delivered to replace five Caetano Nimbuses which will see further service in Glasgow.

34198 was scrapped this month, I don't know the day it was scrapped on, though I know it was hiding in Summercourt with V832DYD and S825WYD (832 being scrapped last year and 825 being in preservation)

Oh also guys, I've finally managed to find a photo (not mine) of KU02YTX. Seems as if the plates still need changing over to new ones and it needs branding too.
image.png

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have got this from very reliable sources.

83G/84D

Established Member
The U4 replaced service 2 last year and KU02 YTX has been at Penzance depot for quite a few months now and was visible from the road by “Topps Tiles”.

62238 which was at Camborne before Christmas is/was earmarked for conversion to a driver training bus.

I was also told that all the ex Webber’s Javelin’s are being disposed of.