• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

MB162435

Established Member
Uni bus E400 33471 was on the 13:20 T2 service from Truro bus station to St Ives, whereas Tinner bus 33467 was on the 16:10 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro. A Dennis Trident was also on T1/T2 services, probably deputising for the failed Tinner bus that worked the 06:50 T1 service from Penzance to Truro which failed near Pool.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
In addition to 33471 on service T2 I saw Dart 42946 on an eastbound T1 at Camborne at just after 1430 and 33177 on a westbound T1 in Camborne about 40 minutes later.

Mousehole Solo 53826 worked the 1445 "39A" from Camborne to Penzance and 53801 is at Camborne "parked", minus a section of it's rear bodywork.

@83G/84D The thing about the javelins are correct, they're too old for service/private hire, so they're being either sold on or scrapped.

Thank you for the info!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A Mousehole Solo (09) was on its correct route yesterday and today. A Uni MMC on the college route 18C tonight, the first time I've seen a blue'un on it.

83G/84D

Established Member
33068 on a T1 this morning, 33466 on U3 & 33176 broken down at Falmouth moor after working a U2.

83G/84D

Established Member
The Optare Metrodecker is on route U4 today. It is now on the 1405 Penryn campus to Penwith college. More comments etc on it later, having riden on it earlier.

33176 was coaxed back into life and is now back in use.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
Uni bus 33470 was on the 08:00 231 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro College with an '08' plate E400 on the 16:25 return service. A Dennis Trident failed at Truro College before working a 231 service to Falmouth

83G/84D

Established Member
Comments on the Optare Metrodecker (adding to those previously posted by richw):-

I rode on this today from Helston to Penryn Campus. The bus looks airy and spacious inside. I thought the seat cushions were okay and comfortable.
Hard to judge the performance of the bus on one short run but seemed to cope reasonably well on the hills and the ride was comfortable with no rattles. The door was quite noisy opening and closing with quite a loud squeal and clunking noise being evident even from the upper deck.

As richw touched upon the bus does seem longer, or is it the wheelbase? One driver said it is longer than a MMC.
Anyway when it got to Helston Tesco bus stop roundabout it could not get around without reversing. The E400 MMC’s can manage okay here though.
The two drivers I spoke to about it were not impressed with it, one saying it lacked power on the hills compared to a E400MMC, although I didn't think there was much difference. Another didn't like the driving controls and said the aforementioned length of the bus makes driving it difficult in quite a few places. Hence one driver said it is unlikely to see use on any other routes.

I think Optare have a decent product but there may be concerns and issues that need to be addressed with the vehicle should they wish to take orders off ADL & Wrights.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Comments on the Optare Metrodecker (adding to those previously posted by richw):-

I rode on this today from Helston to Penryn Campus. The bus looks airy and spacious inside. I thought the seat cushions were okay and comfortable.
Hard to judge the performance of the bus on one short run but seemed to cope reasonably well on the hills and the ride was comfortable with no rattles. The door was quite noisy opening and closing with quite a loud squeal and clunking noise being evident even from the upper deck.

As richw touched upon the bus does seem longer, or is it the wheelbase? One driver said it is longer than a MMC.
Anyway when it got to Helston Tesco bus stop roundabout it could not get around without reversing. The E400's can manage okay here though.
The two drivers I spoke to about it were not impressed with it, one saying it lacked power on the hills compared to a E400MMC, although I didn't think there was much difference. Another didn't like the driving controls and said the aforementioned length of the bus makes driving it difficult in quite a few places. Hence it is unlikely to see use on any other routes.

As an aside the bus I travelled on from Penryn to Helston (a MMC) routed from Helston Tesco, down Trengrouse Way and Meneage Street to Coinagehall Street. The bus back to Penryn went from Coinagehall Street along Wendron Street and Godolphin Road before turning right to Tesco. So far pretty straightforward but after leaving Tesco it went down the B3297 & A394 to Sainsbury's before retracing it's route back towards Tesco and Falmouth Road / A394.

I thought for a while we were going to the depot for a change of bus. So why does the eastbound U4 serve Sainsbury's but not the westbound?
It struck me as a bit odd.
I think Optare have a decent product but there may be concerns and issues that need to be addressed with the vehicle should they wish to take orders off ADL & Wrights.
The MMCs are indeed the short wheelbase version. The older E400s are long wheelbase versions.

83G/84D

Established Member
To answer my own question, I have now looked at the U4 timetable and see that approximately every other journey in each direction serves Sainsbury’s at Helston.

Previous post edited as a result.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
@83G/84D The thing about the javelins are correct, they're too old for service/private hire, so they're being either sold on or scrapped.

Thank you for the info!

There will be quite a few more BMC school buses available for transfer down here if required at Bodmin for example. Seems like First at Southampton are pulling out of all school / college services pretty soon rendering their vehicles surplus to requirements.

Doubt they would be needed on many Truro college services as most are double deck vehicles.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Anyway when it got to Helston Tesco bus stop roundabout it could not get around without reversing. The E400 MMC’s can manage okay here though.
The two drivers I spoke to about it were not impressed with it, one saying it lacked power on the hills compared to a E400MMC, although I didn't think there was much difference. Another didn't like the driving controls and said the aforementioned length of the bus makes driving it difficult in quite a few places. Hence one driver said it is unlikely to see use on any other routes.

Optare may well have been thinking of the London market when deciding on the length/wheelbase, given the acceptance of the length of the LT, the Borismaster, by TfL. After all, if they could seriously get into that market then the model might have a chance: otherwise, I'd say its chances were practically zero, unfortunately.

CD

There will be quite a few more BMC school buses available for transfer down here if required at Bodmin for example. Seems like First at Southampton are pulling out of all school / college services pretty soon rendering their vehicles surplus to requirements.

This has happened in several places and the BMCs have since been in use as trainers. But now B10bles/Wright have replaced them on training duties.

83G/84D

Established Member
For those who didn't know of it, I've managed to secure some very good info!

AFJ706T is in storage at Penzance, along with P430ORL and VOD125K. (Preserved)

WK52SYE is now in Bodmin.

S554RWP is stored in taunton, no longer withdrawn. (Preserved)

S825WYD is stored in Newquay. (Preserved)

It has now been confirmed by First that 19 Enviro 400 MMCs are being delivered this year for the east of Cornwall in the Green Kernow colours.

However, two more are being delivered for the U4 which will soon replace the old standard route 2.

Also, Five Enviro 200 MMCs are being delivered to replace five Caetano Nimbuses which will see further service in Glasgow.

34198 was scrapped this month, I don't know the day it was scrapped on, though I know it was hiding in Summercourt with V832DYD and S825WYD (832 being scrapped last year and 825 being in preservation)

Oh also guys, I've finally managed to find a photo (not mine) of KU02YTX. Seems as if the plates still need changing over to new ones and it needs branding too.
image.png

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have got this from very reliable sources.

KU02 YTX shown above is re-registered T12 GWR.

No fleet number seen however reported to be allocated 43907.

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 43865 was at Camborne today having a replacement rear window fitted by a vehicle glazing company.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I had rather a shock this morning - Fal River L638SEU at Bristol Parkway Station, allegedly "Not in Service".
It seems slightly off the beaten track, up here.

It was withdrawn by First last spring after some serious mechanical issues IIRC - sold to a Bristol area preservationist so that would explain its presence in the area.

richw

Veteran Member
The Bristol preservationist fitted a new engine I read on Facebook a week or two ago.

83G/84D

Established Member
Sister bus L637 SEU (34137) is apparently stored at Penzance. Would be great to see them both at the Penzance running day in April.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
An unusual occurrence about 4 pm. I was driving eastbound on Hayle bypass past M&S and a Tinner came out from the Retail Park road on to the roundabout, with a choice of second left for Hayle and Penzance or, conversely, fourth left for Camborne and Truro: instead it took the third left, the main A30. No passengers on board that I could see, and presumably it was going to Camborne Depot the slightly quicker way. There were a few passengers at the Retail Park stop, but no replacement bus or, indeed, any bus. Anyone any ideas?

83G/84D

Established Member
No idea maybe a defective bus that had to be taken out of service. I generally don’t spend a lot of time bus spotting at weekends locally as not a lot of note takes place. Weekdays seem more productive.

If I travel away somewhere I at least make an effort on a Saturday.

Whiteway215

Established Member
We were discussing only recently the FSW Olympians. Steve White's First official fleetlist Dec 2017 says they still own 34091 34172/3/6/8/9/84/85.
But we established all of those except 34184/5 had been sold to MASS, North Anston for spares. 34184 was sold to a Glasgow preservationist for spares/bits.
Position with 34185 not known. (Sorry to repeat all this!)
Strangely enough all of these Olympians plus 31820/1 are shown on the First allocation changes list up to Jan 8 2018 as having 'left the fleet.'

richw

Veteran Member
34185 reportedly went to a coach firm in Treorchy, Wales, for schools work but currently reporting as SORN.

Last edited:

Blackpudding

We were discussing only recently the FSW Olympians. Steve White's First official fleetlist Dec 2017 says they still own 34091 34172/3/6/8/9/84/85.
But we established all of those except 34184/5 had been sold to MASS, North Anston for spares. 34184 was sold to a Glasgow preservationist for spares/bits.
Position with 34185 not known. (Sorry to repeat all this!)

Whiteway215. Your message yesterday reminded me that you had responded to one of my postings with the answers to questions I asked. I should have thanked you and forgot. Apologies and thanks.
Now all we need to know is what has happened to all the single deck vehicles on 'Fleet list'. I know some have gone and some will be in store for use as spares but that still leaves a number unaccounted for.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Whiteway215. Your message yesterday reminded me that you had responded to one of my postings with the answers to questions I asked. I should have thanked you and forgot. Apologies and thanks.
Now all we need to know is what has happened to all the single deck vehicles on 'Fleet list'. I know some have gone and some will be in store for use as spares but that still leaves a number unaccounted for.
Blackpudding-yes it would be interesting to know what happened to or where are the withdrawn single deckers (and a couple of coaches and Solos) still down on the official fleetlist as still owned by FSW. At the risk of taking up a lot of space it would be good to know the situation with 23009 23202 23303 42430 42469 42474 42476 42521 42522 42526 42725 42842 48232 48233 48234 48266 53001 53011 60814 62214 65579 and possibly 40570 40581 40588 40591.
If there is any information out there it would be good to know. Thanks.

Blackpudding

Blackpudding-yes it would be interesting to know what happened to or where are the withdrawn single deckers (and a couple of coaches and Solos) still down on the official fleetlist as still owned by FSW. At the risk of taking up a lot of space it would be good to know the situation with 23009 23202 23303 42430 42469 42474 42476 42521 42522 42526 42725 42842 48232 48233 48234 48266 53001 53011 60814 62214 65579 and possibly 40570 40581 40588 40591.
If there is any information out there it would be good to know. Thanks.

I'll start. Here is a link to a photo of 65579:https://www.flickr.com/photos/pss99...2sP-uKtEzp-tjE9sp-rTzq1S-uprczo-rEv9za-qwaZFf

40588 and 40591 were collected from Bridgwater sometime between 8th/10th January this year heading to Barnsley for scrap.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th