• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
So this is obviously leading to the full takeover of crosville and southern national, meaning somerset passenger solutions will also be First's.
Not really.
Crosville lost their operation licence. First have agreed to take on some of their contracts, and purchased some vehicles as part of the agreement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ah right, thanks for correcting me!

Do you know which buses they purchased yet or no? I'm thinking the V---LGC batch ALX400s and the Geminis as they look like the only money-makers in the ex-crosville fleet

richw

Veteran Member
The V LGC due to their age will be worth little more than scrap. I don’t even know if they’ve purchased others. Merely assumed due to my contacts wording. They have moved some yellow school buses in as well from other first opcos, so won’t need 7 new vehicles.
It’s possible the beavers route is narrow and nothing in first group is suitable.

carlberry

Established Member
So this is obviously leading to the full takeover of crosville and southern national, meaning somerset passenger solutions will also be First's.
The company that is closing is Crosville, not Southern National. And why would First take it over when it has no operating license from next week?

I was mainly talking about operations and buses only, as Somerset Passenger Solutions was a joint venture between SN & FSW, so it'd only be likely

I'm also thinking that the beaver 2 could either be parts for S554RWP, or be for rail rep or school use, though I could be wrong.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I was mainly talking about operations and buses only, as Somerset Passenger Solutions was a joint venture between SN & FSW, so it'd only be likely

I'm also thinking that the beaver 2 could either be parts for S554RWP, or be for rail rep or school use, though I could be wrong.

Why would First want spares for RWP? Thought it had been sold for preservation?

richw

Veteran Member
Why would First want spares for RWP? Thought it had been sold for preservation?

I don’t think he’s reading anything that’s been written.
This new aquisition is for a school contract as has previously been commented.
RWP is in private ownership as you say so nothing to do with First, and why buy a decent runner to break for spares!

Oh I know it's been sold for preservation, I was thinking along the lines of First acquiring it by request of the owner (who is taunton depot staff, and yes it is a bad assumption but you never know)

I'm hoping all their heritage vehicles (20+ of them) will get new homes across the country, it'll be a really sad thing if they have to be either abandoned or scrapped :(

MB162435

Established Member
Anyone know when the E200 MMCs are due to enter service with Kernow, they just seem to be parked up at the depots at the moment, the E400s have entered service far quicker after delivery then the E200s have for some reason

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Quite surprised to see a blue MMC showing route number 2 to Helston this afternoon: can't be that it's unable to display the right no. Now, if it had been last Sunday, I might have thought it was for historic reasons!

richw

Veteran Member
I'm hoping all their heritage vehicles (20+ of them) will get new homes across the country, it'll be a really sad thing if they have to be either abandoned or scrapped :(

I imagine JJP will keep hold of them. ownership of the heritage fleet transferred from Crosville to Southern National a few months back.

iantherev

No. You’re reading too much into the situation. Southern National is to continue under the JJP Holdings management. There are Just surplus vehicles which First may be snapping up because they need them.

Re Crosville (and off topic!)

I think you have got this a little muddled Clawz

They have less than ten preserved vehicles including the steam bus. Some of them are owned jointly by another well known enthusiast. They are, I understand, to be retained and will possibly/probably run on Southern National discs - another and unaffected JJP holdings company.

In response to an earlier point - the only Wright hybrids in the fleet are open top and are likely to follow their closed top compatriots which were sold for scrap some time ago.

Does anyone know how long they have had the beaver that First are said to have acquired - seems to have been a very recent arrival.

David

83G/84D

Established Member
Back on topic (Crosville thread on page 3 by the way), have any of the E200MMC’s entered service yet?

If so what routes are they and the new E400MMC’s operating on?

I have been on holiday up country last week and a bit out of touch with what is happening.

richw

Veteran Member
I’ve seen e400mmcs on the 87 and 27. The 87 interworks with the 90 or 93. They arrive in Newquay as one and depart on the other.

83G/84D

Established Member
I’ve seen e400mmcs on the 87 and 27. The 87 interworks with the 90 or 93. They arrive in Newquay as one and depart on the other.

Thanks, I am in Truro later this week and try to get a photo of one. Even better would be a photo of all E400MMC’s in the three colour variations.

Seen photos of the beaver in Buses of Somerset's Taunton depot, looks rather clean & shiny for its age! Exterior has no dents or specks of dirt on it, and the interior isn't dirty either (inb4 it gets trashed on the school runs)

might go out on Tuesday to see if I can find me some E200MMCs if they're out and about!

MB162435

Established Member
Green E400 MMC 33308 was on the 16:25 215 service from Truro College to Holmbush via St Austell
Mousehole Solo 53709 was also on an unidentified Truro College Service
Tinner MMC 33469 was on the 16:25 239 service from Truro College to Castle Gate via St Ives

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Green E400 MMC 33308 was on the 16:25 215 service from Truro College to Holmbush via St Austell
Mousehole Solo 53709 was also on an unidentified Truro College Service
Tinner MMC 33469 was on the 16:25 239 service from Truro College to Castle Gate via St Ives

The Mousehole Solo was on service 243.

Camborne today:-

Attachments

• DSC09631rev.jpg
    DSC09631rev.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41

83G/84D

Established Member
On the way back from a holiday "up north" I stopped off at the Wellingborough bus event where I caught this bus with local connections:-

Attachments

• DSC09540rev.jpg
    DSC09540rev.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31

83G/84D

Established Member
Spot the bus spotter at Penzance a few weeks ago, anyone know who he is?

Attachments

• DSC09372rev.jpg
    DSC09372rev.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 50

busKernow

Latest repaint for Kernow is Solo 53505 looking very smart in the new Green Livery .

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
On the way back from a holiday "up north" I stopped off at the Wellingborough bus event where I caught this bus with local connections:-

Not so local in service (I think) - whilst it was new to Western National, think it spent most of its life at Weymouth before ending up with Cawlett at Barnstaple.

However, Terry Partridge of Saltash saved her and was housed at Winkleigh, IIRC.

busKernow

Not so local in service (I think) - whilst it was new to Western National, think it spent most of its life at Weymouth before ending up with Cawlett at Barnstaple.

However, Terry Partridge of Saltash saved her and was housed at Winkleigh, IIRC.
2813 started its life in Cornwall before moving on to else where .