• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
Is it still on a class 6? Presumably special events would be non commercial and only need a class 5?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not unknown for a d/d on the 5, but a Tinner is unusual and happened this p.m.

busKernow

I'm pretty sure it's now their special events/promotions bus. It was used for the Cornwall Pride event on 23rd June.

Yes that right it is & come to think of it that event was the last time & only time i saw it as i understood it was painted in the Atlantic Coaster livery so it could help out for up to 20 days should it be needed .

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A few observations on bus operation in PZ today.
A no.5 did an 'extra' to Newlyn Bridge at 11 a.m., midway between its usual times.
Must be a surfeit of small buses at the moment because everything that should, or might, be operated by these was, including the 17.40 A17 dep from the bus station on the one-off Zennor trip.
An M6 left the Boots stop for Mousehole at 15.35 ish with about 12-15 standing, having been detained at the stop for some minutes; it was preceded by a 20 min late A17 to Pendeen, which was followed 10 mins later by an on-time A17 to Madron.

Not much has been happening, so I've only got a small bit of news to report

Both demonstrator Optares failed the route test, they were too big for the tight Portloe roads

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two days ago, middle of the day, a Tinner on the M6 disgorged its only two passengers at Newlyn Bridge, where it was terminating. One minute later the usual Solo arr ived on the route for Mousehole with a few on board, but not packed.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Two days ago, middle of the day, a Tinner on the M6 disgorged its only two passengers at Newlyn Bridge, where it was terminating. One minute later the usual Solo arr ived on the route for Mousehole with a few on board, but not packed.
A good number of passengers usually disgorge at Alverton.

Fearless

Does anyone know what became of the ex-First Bristol (and ex-Badgerline before that) Volvo B10M D705 GHY that operated the open-toppers on the PZ-Lands End run a few years ago? It was one of my favourites but I've been out of touch for a while (illness...).

Whiteway215

Established Member
Does anyone know what became of the ex-First Bristol (and ex-Badgerline before that) Volvo B10M D705 GHY that operated the open-toppers on the PZ-Lands End run a few years ago? It was one of my favourites but I've been out of touch for a while (illness...).
I believe the PSV Circle reported it went to Crosville (?) Weston-super-Mare for its heritage fleet, but perhaps others could confirm?

83G/84D

Established Member
An unidentified green Trident on tow seen at Ponsanooth at 1410 hrs today - Redruth bound.

MrKnow

I guess the Darts, tired inside and out, may only have a limited life. 53 plates are getting to disposal age whilst 05 ones could head elsewhere.

However, the Tridents have got a few more years in them I’d suggest and have to say that a number of others were nearly as bad as 33056, such as 33168.

I guess that sort of sums up FK in its transformative state and a trip on Monday was indicative of that. We had just four FK buses (plus some ferry action) - a new e200 and a new e400 looking and feeling smart with nice interiors and branding etc. On the flip side, a 2005 Dart with threadbare seats and rattled constantly - clearly a hard worked vehicle! The other was the soon to depart Solo 53827 - not bad nick but internal ads all referring to First Devon & Cornwall! If this does go to Somerset, they’ll get a good runner though I somehow suspect I could experience it in a years time and the ads won’t have changed!

I really love Cornwall and want FK to progress but it does seem either excellent or quite iffy and not much in between. That said, given the starting point, perhaps I should cut Alex, Marc et al some slack having transformed the business. They’ve seen off most opponents and, aside from not getting the Callywith gig, seem to be getting the business sorted with unbelievable numbers of new fleet and judicious replacement of the oldest fleet on lesser work.

There were a few other observations in my time away; a bit of drawing in of the horns... the M6 staying half hourly is one such seasonal downside but the A4 seems to be much reduced these days. Also, Meva only getting an hourly service and only two hourly at night (and during feast week at that). I know we don’t see the stats behind the changes but does seem odd. Perhaps with all the very creditable investment, there will be inevitable downsides.

One other observation has been the influx of Tridents from Norwich, South Yorkshire and Hampshire. Ex London Tridents get a bad rap from gricers and the Mk1s were a bit glacial at times (even in demanding badlands of the Somerset Levels). However, had a couple of the newer arrivals on the A5 and they were superb storming out of Porth, Mawgan Porth and Padstow - just a lick of paint might be nice

Funny you should mention 33056 as I few weeks ago I saw that very bus in Helston looking in a right sorry state from behind....

True the Kernow side of the Southwest has turned itself around these last few years thanks to a lot of investment but their repaint programme seems to be non existant which is shame when you consider just how much stuff their is still here in the now outdated Olympia & Barbie liveries. Somerset on the other hand despite having no new buses invested for there seem to be rolling out the repaints with quite a few of the Enviro 200's seeing the paint shop and funnily enough a recent arrival from Cornwall Dart 42860 now in their two tone green also.

Attachments

• DSC_1103.jpg
    DSC_1103.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

busKernow

Funny you should mention 33056 as I few weeks ago I saw that very bus in Helston looking in a right sorry state from behind....

True the Kernow side of the Southwest has turned itself around these last few years thanks to a lot of investment but their repaint programme seems to be going nowhere which is shame when you consider just how much stuff their is still here in the now outdated Olympia & Barbie liveries. Somerset on the other hand despite having no new buses invested for there seem to be rolling out the repaints with quite a few of the Enviro 200's seeing the paint shop and funnily enough a recent arrival from Cornwall Dart 42860 now in their two tone green also.

What a mess so very First Bus that ! but its not the only one like it many more of the Tridents also look the same ! so do the 53 & 05 plate Darts all suffering from Years of Neglect on the other hand the 4 Older E200's would look great in the new Green as there not to bad looking Seats have faded inside but they are Popular with Drivers them .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

True the Kernow side of the Southwest has turned itself around these last few years thanks to a lot of investment but their repaint programme seems to be non existant which is shame when you consider just how much stuff their is still here in the now outdated Olympia & Barbie liveries. Somerset on the other hand despite having no new buses invested for there seem to be rolling out the repaints with quite a few of the Enviro 200's seeing the paint shop and funnily enough a recent arrival from Cornwall Dart 42860 now in their two tone green also.

Yep, looking rather shabby.

Trying to be balanced, a lot of the Trident fleet has only arrived recently though there are plenty of ELC Tridents that gained Urban whilst at Plymouth/Torpoint still in those colours. Hopefully the paint brushes can be liberated!

Odd you mention BoS. They had an almost stop for over a year on repaints with just two Yeovil Solos being treated. As for e200s, the ones arriving from Mistral (or is it Dawson’s) were done as part of the deal. Unless others are now being done but there’s a lot of Urban in Somerset too!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What's this double deck pink coloured aberration I saw on the A17 today, also performing the last duty on the A2 tonight? At first I assumed it was meant for the M6 in view of the pink, but of course it couldn't get into Mousehole, probably barred on taste grounds alone! Vamooz indeed, whatever that is (please don't bother explaining).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not much has been happening, so I've only got a small bit of news to report

Both demonstrator Optares failed the route test, they were too big for the tight Portloe roads
What is currently used to Portloe?

Did the small demonstrator fit into Mousehole? I saw it that morning on its way there, but I was heading towards Penzance.

@Goldfish62 Nothing yet, they brought in both optare demonstrators to test this possible route extension.

Both failed the test due to the size of them, with YJ67GEK already being sent to Metroline shortly after. Almost nothing but YJ67GEK has been on the H3 in London since the 12th to the 14th/15th July. After this I don't know what's been happening with it.

YJ16DDA is apparently staying for a little while longer, reasons unknown, though I am expecting it to also be sent off soon, if not, a little later.

@busKernow I am very sure about it indeed. The smallest buses that they can pretty much get now are E200MMCs (unless they decide to buy more pre-owned stuff), and they are too wide to fit down Portloe's tight roads!

@MrKnow Any photos of 42860?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
@busKernow I am very sure about it indeed. The smallest buses that they can pretty much get now are E200MMCs (unless they decide to buy more pre-owned stuff), and they are too wide to fit down Portloe's tight roads!
?

Mellor Body Sprinter? Also ideal size for Mousehole but would imagine would definitely need 3 an hour then

Goldfish62

Established Member
@Goldfish62 Nothing yet, they brought in both optare demonstrators to test this possible route extension.

Both failed the test due to the size of them, with YJ67GEK already being sent to Metroline shortly after. Almost nothing but YJ67GEK has been on the H3 in London since the 12th to the 14th/15th July. After this I don't know what's been happening with it.

YJ16DDA is apparently staying for a little while longer, reasons unknown, though I am expecting it to also be sent off soon, if not, a little later.

@MrKnow Any photos of 42860?
Yes, YJ67GEK was supposed just be used for staff training at Metroline, but as with Kernow, the 13 year old slimline Solos loaned from Arriva are so unreliable they've become virtually unusable, so it was pressed into service.

@Goldfish62 That's what was said according to a few drivers! (And a very trusted person called Lee Shephard)

If anything, they would need to buy 17-seater minibuses or Mellor bodied Sprinters as @richw suggested.

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 33056 on service T1 this afternoon seen struggling up the hill from Loggans to Connor Downs.

MB162435

Established Member
Uni E400 33421 on T1/T2 duties today, seen on the 14:20 T2 service from Truro to St Ives
Also saw the new improved bus station layout, must say very impressed!