• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Broken down Atlantic Coaster 32097 is in Camborne joining broken down trainer B7TL 30880.

The Optare Metrodecker was still there this afternoon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Seems like most posters on this thread have gone into winter hibernation but here goes anyway......

Anyone ‘on the inside’ know when the new buses will be delivered? December was previously mentioned but no signs yet.
Do ADL /Optare have a Christmas shutdown?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Seems like most posters on this thread have gone into winter hibernation but here goes anyway......

Anyone ‘on the inside’ know when the new buses will be delivered? December was previously mentioned but no signs yet.
Do ADL /Optare have a Christmas shutdown?
Stated on the First Kernow behind the scenes FB page that they're being signed off at the factory on 10 January. They're Optare, not ADL.

Other news is that 5 mid-life Volvo Gemini double decks are due. No idea where from.

goldisgood

Stated on the First Kernow behind the scenes FB page that they're being signed off at the factory on 10 January. They're Optare, not ADL.

Other news is that 5 mid-life Volvo Gemini double decks are due. No idea where from.
Maybe the 5 currently on loan at Bristol?

83G/84D

Established Member

Thanks for the update.

83G/84D

Established Member
are those the ones at Bristol on loan from First West Yorkshire if so they are 32616 to 20

They are the ones. Used initially on rail replacement during the Filton four tracking. Rode on one and seemed to be decent buses.

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 42558 seen at the Eden project today looking very smart in its recently applied green paint.

Blackpudding

Correction - they are 36216-20.

I’d have expected FK to get e400 rather than B9s - FSW aren’t keen on Volvos

Merry Xmas all. Catching up and thought it was a good call 'TGW' but just reading the Kernow facebook page it says Volvo Gemini. Also stated they would prefer mid life vehicles. I wouldn't have 36216-36220 down as mid life. More likely, in my view to be 07-09 B9TL or very late B7TL from Glasgow/Leeds

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Merry Xmas all. Catching up and thought it was a good call TGW but just reading the Kernow facebook page it says Volvo Gemini. Also stated they would prefer mid life vehicles. I wouldn't have 36216-36220 down as mid life. More likely, in my view to be 07-09 B9TL or very late B7TL from Glasgow/Leeds

Not disputing the post - just thought it odd as they’ve tended to have Tridents and e200/e300s cascaded into FSW (FK and BoS) whilst shipping out Volvos. Would sooner have those B9s in Bristol and send 5 e400s down instead - just personal prejudice ;)

Blackpudding

Not disputing the post - just thought it odd as they’ve tended to have Tridents and e200/e300s cascaded into FSW (FK and BoS) whilst shipping out Volvos. Would sooner have those B9s in Bristol and send 5 e400s down instead - just personal prejudice ;)

Ha! The beauty of this hobby is that we all have different viewpoints. I accept your view but I always wondered why Kernow would keep 32097, a single closed top 2002 Volvo B7TL, in daily service rather than replace it with a Trident. In addition I wouldn't send E400's down but remove the three they have (33420-33422 inc.) and replace them with Volvo of which First have far more mid life vehicles than ADL products.

As an aside although I have not yet looked into the detail I see in the results posted for 2017/18 they made a profit of £525k an improvement of £2.3m on last year. Well done all round.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Ha! The beauty of this hobby is that we all have different viewpoints. I accept your view but I always wondered why Kernow would keep 32097, a single closed top 2002 Volvo B7TL, in daily service rather than replace it with a Trident. In addition I wouldn't send E400's down but remove the three they have (33420-33422 inc.) and replace them with Volvo of which First have far more mid life vehicles than ADL products.

As an aside although I have not yet looked into the detail I see in the results posted for 2017/18 they made a profit of £525k an improvement of £2.3m on last year. Well done all round.

They’ve tended to go with Dennis/ADL for Kernow and Somerset as they tend to be better on fuel and parts (Volvos cost a lot when they fail); that’s why the Eclipses were sent north and why Tridents rather than B7TLs were sent down.

32097 was sent down as an emergency when
WG failed and was allegedly to be open topped. It is a bit of an anomaly but that batch is spread far and wide!

Quite right on those results - from being a basket case, they’ve done a superb job.

Last edited:

Blackpudding

They’ve tended to go with Dennis/ADL for Kernow and Somerset as they tend to be better on fuel and parts (Volvos cost a lot when they fail); that’s why the Eclipses were sent north and why Tridents rather than B7TLs were sent down.

32097 was sent down as an emergency when
WG failed and was allegedly to be open topped. It is a bit of an anomaly but that batch is spread far and wide!

Agree with all your comments, but sometimes the answer is you can't have what you want but what's available and in this case it would appear to be Volvo as it is the dominant mid life chassis in the First fleet.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Granted that Volvos are undeniably much more prevalent. However, there are certainly e400s - a return (of sorts) for 33411-419 (56 plates) back to the deep South West from WoE, 33423-5 or 33504 (onwards - 08/58 plates) from either Essex or WoE and that's before you get to the 12 plates.

I'd certainly prefer keeping some 12 plate Volvos in Bristol and let Kernow have 33658 et al back ;) However, you're right that beggars can't be choosers but they have been rather good at assembling ADLs so far and moving on Volvos so it is a little surprising.

83G/84D

Established Member
Some of the Darts soon to leave the fleet have been in use today, 42872 & 42874 on service 47 and 42873 on services 38 / 39A.

83G/84D

Established Member
Vamooz Trident 33176 on Tinner services this morning. E200 44919 is the first to receive Kernow green, seen today unbranded.

Attachments

• IMG_5451rev.jpg
    IMG_5451rev.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 51

83G/84D

Established Member
Just been looking back at this thread, give or take a few days it’s 2 years since the E400MMC’s started on the ‘Tinner’ services.

What an interesting year 2018 has been for First Kernow!

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
32756 is the latest Trident to receive ‘Lizard’ colours although it still waits application of the pictures etc.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Saw a U4 coming Into Penzance today with that destination and a 'via Tesco' below it. Which Tesco, given the journey originated in Falmouth? Certainly not PZ's , which is notoriously difficult to visit other than by car or free shopper's service bus. I guess Helston's, but you shouldn't have to guess.