• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Marshall Dart 41490 seen in Truro working the 1255 to St Mawes and Vamooz Trident 33176 on a U1 service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SarahDFIG

Is 41490 the last Marshall dart within First in service now? that Glasgow's have all been withdrawn and scrapped.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Is 41490 the last Marshall dart within First in service now? that Glasgow's have all been withdrawn and scrapped.

Must be within FirstGroup itself, the ones with Cymru and Essex all went last year.

However there is one other new-to-First Marshall Dart still in service, the seemingly indestructible DMN1 (LT02NUK) in North London. I think it's the depot pet at Northumberland Park and it's somehow survived the 2017 Streetlite delivery and the loss of the 193 last year which wiped out the rest of the DMNs in Romford. It'll probably survive the ULEZ at the rate it's going. :lol:

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'd like to suggest a reworking of U4's offpeak timetable to try to prevent buses in each direction conflicting in the centre of Goldsithney. The photo on the left above my details was taken in the village, during a diversion, and shows the hourly bus in each direction meeting at the village hall. The problem lies in meeting at the junction of Fore Street and East Street, which happens all too often, and the only solution involves the Penryn bound bus continuing up Fore Street towards the two pubs, letting the Penzance bound bus out (hoping there's not by this stage a build-up of traffic behind the Penryn bus disallowing the other bus the space for the swing round into Fore Street.) Then, once the PZ bus has gone, the other bus attempts to back down and take the right turn into East Street. This can sometimes result in a row of cars following it having in turn to back down, sometimes as far as the narrowing restriction. At other times, the bus has had to continue to the side road opposite the Crown pub and perform a 3/5/7 point turn to the bemusement of other traffic (I've been known to get out of my car to help in this process!). I'm sure a tweak to the timetable could alleviate this recurring problem: the U4 gets a long layover at the PZ end.

Accelerator59

I read in a comment on a post in FKBtS that we’re getting a 5th Gemini, 2 in paint and the other 3 in April. Wonder what the 5th one is.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd like to suggest a reworking of U4's offpeak timetable to try to prevent buses in each direction conflicting in the centre of Goldsithney. The photo on the left above my details was taken in the village, during a diversion, and shows the hourly bus in each direction meeting at the village hall. The problem lies in meeting at the junction of Fore Street and East Street, which happens all too often, and the only solution involves the Penryn bound bus continuing up Fore Street towards the two pubs, letting the Penzance bound bus out (hoping there's not by this stage a build-up of traffic behind the Penryn bus disallowing the other bus the space for the swing round into Fore Street.) Then, once the PZ bus has gone, the other bus attempts to back down and take the right turn into East Street. This can sometimes result in a row of cars following it having in turn to back down, sometimes as far as the narrowing restriction. At other times, the bus has had to continue to the side road opposite the Crown pub and perform a 3/5/7 point turn to the bemusement of other traffic (I've been known to get out of my car to help in this process!). I'm sure a tweak to the timetable could alleviate this recurring problem: the U4 gets a long layover at the PZ end.
I agree with this

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Of the four previously reported two will be open top and two will be green.
From #7587

37058 is a Volvo B7TL from Bradford with no roof following an accident.
37178/37179 are Volvo B7TL from Glasgow.
37729 is a Volvo B9TL from Leeds (Bramley) with roof damage following an accident.

37058 and 37729 are to be additional open top vehicles.

DD12

I shall be on holiday in Cornwall shortly, and I'm considering making a diversion to visit Helston for a DD ride between there and Penzance, but I believe it's half-term week, so can anyone tell me if there are likely to be plenty of DDs in use on that route, or will many of them be in the workshop for servicing, and swopped for single-deckers ??
(THANKS).

Goldfish62

Established Member
I shall be on holiday in Cornwall shortly, and I'm considering making a diversion to visit Helston for a DD ride between there and Penzance, but I believe it's half-term week, so can anyone tell me if there are likely to be plenty of DDs in use on that route, or will many of them be in the workshop for servicing, and swopped for single-deckers ??
(THANKS).
The U4 is allocated uni liveried E400 MMCs, although Tridents often appear on it as well. It's normally 100% double deck during the daytime.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
(THANKS).
Adding to Goldfish's reply, although at this time of year I don't always get to see the evening bus, I do see the entire allocation during the course of most days, and I don't recollect even one sighting of a single decker since last year. With the saga of missing small buses on the M6 it's the single deck fleet that's being stretched!

DD12

Adding to Goldfish's reply, although at this time of year I don't always get to see the evening bus, I do see the entire allocation during the course of most days, and I don't recollect even one sighting of a single decker since last year. With the saga of missing small buses on the M6 it's the single deck fleet that's being stretched!

Thanks very much, Busaholic, that's very good news !

Goldfish62

Established Member
I couldn't get quite close enough to see, but blue MMC 33301 or 33302 is on route A17 duties today. The rest of the allocation is Tridents. No sign of the new Solos as yet.

83G/84D

Established Member
I couldn't get quite close enough to see, but blue MMC 33301 or 33302 is on route A17 duties today. The rest of the allocation is Tridents. No sign of the new Solos as yet.

Some of the new Solos are being prepared at Penzance depot and others elsewhere. A member of staff told me that they are expected to hit the road in early March.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Some of the new Solos are being prepared at Penzance depot and others elsewhere. A member of staff told me that they are expected to hit the road in early March.
Marc Huws stated on FB that they'd be in service from this week.

Accelerator59

New registrations come out every March and September. Dunno how a 19 plate vehicle was seen this early on as shouldn’t of been on the road unless for a specific reason.

richw

Veteran Member
New registrations come out every March and September. Dunno how a 19 plate vehicle was seen this early on as shouldn’t of been on the road unless for a specific reason.

There are some rules that allow them out from 1st Feb. Dealer road tests etc

83G/84D

Established Member
No new Solos in service at Helston earlier today, all L1/L2 services seen were deckers.

At least 9 new Solos seen from outside Penzance depot.

Again all A17 services seen were deckers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No new Solos in service at Helston earlier today, all L1/L2 services seen were deckers.

At least 9 new Solos seen from outside Penzance depot.

Again all A17 services seen were deckers.
At 16.45 today, all buses in PZ bus station were deckers, 3 Uni-liveried, 3 First generic-liveried Tridents and a lone Atlantic Coaster. Two of the Tridents were on the A17, one of the MMCs on the correct U4 and the others parked at the back, so unspecific.