• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Glad to hear that comment from First but I feel for the smaller operators. I would imagine that PCB did a lot of thinking as to vehicle garaging arrangements before putting the bid in but it will be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Dave

Running that many vehicles away from Milehouse, I’d suspect at least a couple of main servicing depots plus a number of outstations.

Don’t they already use Roselyn’s depot for a Callywith College vehicle?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
I understand their intension is to focus now on commercial growth through the delivery of a new business plan (20:20 Vision) - clearly they'd already wisely planned for this scenario. I believe they've already identified areas where they intend to redeploy resources into commercial growth. Might we even see some commercial registrations over tendered routes...?
See:-
https://www.facebook.com/cornwallbykernow/photos/a.691199980942728/2895839393812098/?type=3&eid=ARBkMs6JTLtFJAoYc5vDSAz6s7MmXoJTq0BYztG-noYhIdfIQ6y5_w-SnpabUV2BG5QLmX-_7kr0BJrh&__xts__[0]=68.ARDeKHQK01Q77rRSByg5zkb1Fnc8O365RY-oePN9lP_wHhGTbDB2jRtKQ_UVCeKU9YT60q51RGTadX8FCKblIKpVd25CLyfmFTPHlKRf81WHfrm0hwA5ltTvMOLKxC4RKIFulKOXu9MsMf2P1XBquwqaMVzl5Mh91QB1dJanvDAGCWb9PEg_zrC0VJhd9aXLszzxofpS8VBBRc5XDe3qH06pcjg8mVH2ZMuDVKcwMBJdvxTMZmoafLvi56-Y2O3SzPvE_izC3Y7VVUl8t_r4B138OqYgOanm9YQZPCNjnKSnoPfjECG9VBXqA-HWlSxMIZ5_Mw&__tn__=EHH-R

A new decade and a new focus. It’s time for us to reflect on where we are, redefine our purpose, and to set out a bold and innovative plan to adapt and grow our commercial business. Over the next few months we’ll be revealing and rolling out our new plans. It’s what we call...

2020 vision

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
Some info I’m aware of:

PCBs bid was higher than FSW but CC decided that they offered better ‘quality’ in their tender process. FSW offered a fleet of Euro 6 buses all from exiting fleet or brand new for their part of Cornwall.

The only schools awarded are those school flows where the students travel on a tendered service. All the standalone school tenders have gone back out to tender. Apparently FSW won most of them against CCs quality specification, but they couldn’t afford what they specified so they’re back out to tender on a Euro 2 requirement.

FSW won the Truro Park and Ride including for the extended late and 7 days service.

PCB need at least 200 new staff. That’s a huge risk for both PCB and CC. FSW has indicated to staff that it will continue to employ all staff who want to stay and will find create / find work for them. First currently pay significantly higher rates per hour so if there is work would there be an attraction to jump ship?

The idea that there was a close relationship between FSW and CC isn’t reality. CC tried to force FSW into a regulated enhanced partnership which they refused. Arguably CC may have held this against First. registrations for 1st April don’t need to be submitted to the traffic commissioner until late January. I’d expect the First commercial team are working flat out on countering and expanding the commercial network for this deadline for submission.

CC owns 16 of the MMC200s. All the other new vehicles are owned by FSW outright.

The CC contracts weren’t profitable at their previous rates so this certainly isn’t critical in terms of the business going forward. I personally don’t see it as a big loss and never have imagined the tenders to be a big deal. After all they are to make big loss making routes more viable.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Some info I’m aware of:

PCBs bid was higher than FSW but CC decided that they offered better ‘quality’ in their tender process. FSW offered a fleet of Euro 6 buses all from exiting fleet or brand new for their part of Cornwall.

The only schools awarded are those school flows where the students travel on a tendered service. All the standalone school tenders have gone back out to tender. Apparently FSW won most of them against CCs quality specification, but they couldn’t afford what they specified so they’re back out to tender on a Euro 2 requirement.

FSW won the Truro Park and Ride including for the extended late and 7 days service.

PCB need at least 200 new staff. That’s a huge risk for both PCB and CC. FSW has indicated to staff that it will continue to employ all staff who want to stay and will find create / find work for them. First currently pay significantly higher rates per hour so if there is work would there be an attraction to jump ship?

The idea that there was a close relationship between FSW and CC isn’t reality. CC tried to force FSW into a regulated enhanced partnership which they refused. Arguably CC may have held this against First. registrations for 1st April don’t need to be submitted to the traffic commissioner until late January. I’d expect the First commercial team are working flat out on countering and expanding the commercial network for this deadline for submission.

CC owns 16 of the MMC200s. All the other new vehicles are owned by FSW outright.

The CC contracts weren’t profitable at their previous rates so this certainly isn’t critical in terms of the business going forward. I personally don’t see it as a big loss and never have imagined the tenders to be a big deal. After all they are to make big loss making routes more viable.
Many thanks for this most interesting information.

MB162435

Established Member
Tinner 33462 on the 08:00 231 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro College

Won't the U of E contract be up for renewal soon, think it was let in 2013 or 2014 on a 5 year contract for the U1-U3?

If it is, wouldn't of thought FSW would loose the Uni contract after the investment, although the withdrawal of the £1 flat fare didn't go down well with staff and students after the Uni wanted to keep it

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow have posted on Facebook about their new vision for the business in the new decade, to expand their commercial network, obviously referencing their recent losses

richw

Veteran Member
although the withdrawal of the £1 flat fare didn't go down well with staff and students after the Uni wanted to keep it
Although the new town zone actually works cheaper for many of them at £14 a week when they make 2 single journeys to uni and back each day plus social trips ... especially as they were all given a voucher for the mticket app,

Goldfish62

Established Member
Although the new town zone actually works cheaper for many of them at £14 a week when they make 2 single journeys to uni and back each day plus social trips ... especially as they were all given a voucher for the mticket app,
I think the sudden lack of moaning after the initial period bears this out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Some info I’m aware of:

Thanks for all that.

I had wondered how close the relationship was with CC given some recent events. I did seem to recall that some of the small mmcs were funded by CC but didn't know the exact number or ownership position. Assume that helps in GA getting their 130 vehicles. However, I do wonder how they'll get 200 drivers to pilot them, if the pay rates are that much lower. Wouldn't be surprised if there will be a number of part time drivers of a certain age working for a small firm who'll simply walk?

I'm not as convinced as you that these tender losses are small beer. Where you're talking about evening/winter Sunday tenders that provide some additional bunce and it all adds to the overhead contribution. There might be the odd bit of trimming but essentially, you will be left with the same back office and fixed overheads.

It will certainly be interesting to see what commercial moves FK will make. Wouldn't be surprised if parts of the 46/47 are retained in some way, and same for Penzance town service with a bit of selective registration to make things trickier.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm not as convinced as you that these tender losses are small beer.

they’re not profitable, and not critical to the business. The commercial network with makes up 70% plus is the bread and butter. Theoretically losing non profitable tenders should improve margins

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm not as convinced as you that these tender losses are small beer. Where you're talking about evening/winter Sunday tenders that provide some additional bunce and it all adds to the overhead contribution. There might be the odd bit of trimming but essentially, you will be left with the same back office and fixed overheads.
I agree. If as I suspect all the winter evenings and Sunday services are supported it leaves FK as a purely Mon-Sat daytime operation.

I think it'll be vital to trim overheads, ie premises.

Also given that most of the supported routes use single decks it'll not only see off most of the Solos and probably all the Darts and old E200s, but also most of the new single deck kit. This would of course reduce depreciation charges.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I agree. If as I suspect all the winter evenings and Sunday services are supported it leaves FK as a purely Mon-Sat daytime operation.

I think it'll be vital to trim overheads, ie premises.

Also given that most of the supported routes use single decks it'll not only see off most of the Solos and probably all the Darts and old E200s, but also most of the new single deck kit. This would of course reduce depreciation charges.

Depending on what gets registered commercially, the vehicles made spare are mainly newish Solos (for the Lizard routes and 46/47?), some newish e200mmc (for the 22, 95/96) and some older Darts/e200 for the Falmouth locals, 35 and also the 46/47? These are going to be interesting times

richw

Veteran Member
Depending on what gets registered commercially, the vehicles made spare are mainly newish Solos (for the Lizard routes and 46/47?), some newish e200mmc (for the 22, 95/96) and some older Darts/e200 for the Falmouth locals, 35 and also the 46/47? These are going to be interesting times

CC own 16 of the E200MMCs...

Goldfish62

Established Member
CC own 16 of the E200MMCs...
It'll be interesting to know whether the council funded their purchase and FK own them, or whether the council own them and lease them to FK. If the latter they could potentially move to GA. That still leaves plenty of newish single decks in the fleet.

83G/84D

Established Member
Interesting to read everyone’s comments, glad we have such knowledgeable people posting! I was wondering about services 101 & 102 at Eden along with the internal car park shuttles. Are they in any way affected?

I also guess that the coaching (Truronian) side is unaffected.

Thanks for all the interesting posts on the topic of the year (so far)!

richw

Veteran Member
Bus services in Cornwall are set to further improve from April 2020 when a new package of supported services is introduced with improved frequencies and routes, reduced fares for passengers, better links with rail, integrated school transport services and more environmentally friendly buses.

A new eight year contract has been awarded to Go Cornwall Bus, a subsidiary of national company Go-Ahead, to deliver a network of Council subsided local bus routes which are essential to local residents but are not commercially viable. There will be new services and improvements to existing routes including:

• Direct links to Derriford Hospital
  • Launceston to Bodmin Town Centre and Parkway station
  • Newquay to Redruth direct
  • St Austell to Lostwithiel via Tywardreath Highway
  • Truro to Bodmin via Summercourt and Indian Queens
  • increased number of journeys between Hartland, Bude and Marhamchurch
  • additional journeys on services between Bude and Launceston and Bude to Truro
  • Truro to St Mawes to operate hourly on Mondays to Saturdays connecting at Tregony with two hourly Veryan to St Austell services
  • Cornwall Airport Newquay to Truro Railway Station
These are the latest in a series of improvements to bus and rail services in Cornwall.

Improvements to public transport in Cornwall over the past 3 years has seen passenger satisfaction increase from 85% to 95% and passenger numbers increase by 5% year on year, bucking the national trend which has seen a reduction in bus travel.

Rail passenger numbers continue to grow with regular half-hourly local stopping trains, doubling the frequency of off-peak services in each direction between Penzance and Plymouth, providing over 7,000 extra seats each weekday.

Infrastructure improvements already in place include

• new rail signalling allowing more trains to run supported by the recently expanded depot at Penzance
  • upgraded bus stops and shelters including real time digital information
  • new buses and trains
  • bus stations improvements at Truro, Newquay and Penzance
Cornwall Council cabinet portfolio holder for transport, Geoff Brown said:

“Improving Cornwall’s public transport system is one of the key priorities for the Council because we know it is important to our residents.”

“We are concentrating on making public transport easier to use and good value so that residents move away from using the car. This new contract will deliver wider network coverage and more frequent buses with timetables that will dovetail with half hourly train services.”

“These improvements will ensure the trend of increased use continues as we build a completely integrated public transport system which is focussed on the needs of the passenger.”

The Council subsidises over 50% of bus routes across Cornwall to connect communities and offer a viable alternative to the car. These routes would otherwise not be provided by bus operators as they are not commercially viable but are a lifeline for our residents to access employment and education as well as shopping and leisure.

Awarding the contract is the next stage in the One Public Transport System for Cornwall project which is delivering upon its objectives to improve public transport and provide a seamless integrated public transport network.

Geoff Brown continued: “We know that good public transport is important to our residents. Our priority is to make sure that these routes are safeguarded and that passengers who use the bus routes subsidised by the Council get the best possible service. Many people rely on these bus routes for work, for getting to hospital appointments and to go out to see friends and family. Rest assured that they will continue and improve under this new contract.”

“When awarding the new contract we took into account how we can increase the use of lower emission vehicles and encourage more people to use public transport in line with our commitment to tackle the climate emergency. We also looked at ticket pricing, the possibilities around increasing the frequency of buses and the quality of the vehicles – all of which will play a part in encouraging residents to use public transport and move away from using cars.”

Richard Stevens, Managing Director of Go Cornwall Bus said "We are delighted and privileged to be awarded this significant contract by Cornwall Council. We believe that working in partnership we will enhance customer experience, improve opportunity to travel and improve air quality across the Duchy..

Go Cornwall Bus prides itself on being a good community partner, through this expansion we are looking forward to working with people across the length and breadth of Cornwall".

Geoff adds: “We’re also planning to introduce a 4 year pilot scheme to reduce fares to encourage more people to use buses.

Last year, the government awarded Cornwall a £23.5m funding package for a “Reduced Bus Fares” pilot to support the Council’s ongoing commitment to improving bus travel for residents. We’re planning to introduce a scheme in May 2020 which will significantly reduce the cost of bus travel by establishing town zones and capping the cost for making multiple journeys within these zones. Ultimately, we want to deliver an integrated SMART ticketing system for bus, rail and ferry to make it as easy and convenient as possible for residents and visitors to use all forms of public transport.”

The contract to operate the Truro Park and Ride for the next eight years from April 2020 has been awarded to First Kernow. The new contract will see the Truro Park and Ride running later into the evenings from Monday to Saturday which will benefit residents working in or visiting Truro, especially those who work at or visit Treliske Hospital.

A further tender exercise will take place to determine the contracts for the delivery of School Bus Services – these awards will be made at the end of January 2020

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council...nd-greener-buses-in-cornwall-from-april-2020/

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Think I better confine myself for the moment to factual observations as the crystal ball developed a virus possibly initiated by Crossrail :lol:

Atlantic Coaster on the 39A this lunchtime, which could well be a first, unless you know otherwise. Conversely, 44970 was on the A17 this afternoon, a bus I'd more expect to see on the 39A, closely followed by a Mousehole Solo on the A1 school finishing time run to St Buryan, which might have got a bit cosy! It crossed an inward bound Mousehole Solo on its intended route.

Andyh82

Established Member
they’re not profitable, and not critical to the business. The commercial network with makes up 70% plus is the bread and butter. Theoretically losing non profitable tenders should improve margins
What happens with the ticketing will be key for me.

At the moment visitors can buy a Kernow ticket, and First receive all the money. This ticket is expensive but the multiple day versions take it down to quite decent prices and it covers pretty much anything a visitor will need to use. It covers the main corridors and also the hourly rural links.

Will customers who want full network coverage now need to buy a Ride Cornwall, which is even more expensive, and doesn’t offer multi day versions, and First won’t get all the money, or will they stick with the First ticket, and hence Go Ahead won’t attract as many tourists and they might find they can’t travel after 6pm? Will the First ticket reduce in price due to the smaller network? Will it all end up more expensive overall?

Goldfish62

Established Member
What happens with the ticketing will be key for me.

At the moment visitors can buy a Kernow ticket, and First receive all the money. This ticket is expensive but the multiple day versions take it down to quite decent prices and it covers pretty much anything a visitor will need to use.

Will customers who want full network coverage now need to buy a Ride Cornwall, which is even more expensive, and doesn’t offer multi day versions, and First won’t get all the money, or will they stick with the First ticket, and hence Go Ahead won’t attract as many tourists? Will the First ticket reduce in price due to the smaller network?
Yes, this is my big question as well. The other issue is return tickets. Will there be mutual acceptance where FK runs the day service, but PCB runs the evening service?

richw

Veteran Member
@Andyh82 @Goldfish62
Within the press release it says
Last year, the government awarded Cornwall a £23.5m funding package for a “Reduced Bus Fares” pilot to support the Council’s ongoing commitment to improving bus travel for residents. We’re planning to introduce a scheme in May 2020 which will significantly reduce the cost of bus travel by establishing town zones and capping the cost for making multiple journeys within these zones. Ultimately, we want to deliver an integrated SMART ticketing system for bus, rail and ferry to make it as easy and convenient as possible for residents and visitors to use all forms of public transport.”
Presumably a compensation scheme would need to be in place for commercial operators to partake in this.

town zones already exist within First and are £14 for a weekly, so they aren’t a new thing despite the article implying so.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Are some early morning/ evening/Sunday services in the Falmouth/Penryn area subsidised by the university? If so, is this a direct payment to First who then provide them on a so-called commercial basis?

richw

Veteran Member
Are some early morning/ evening/Sunday services in the Falmouth/Penryn area subsidised by the university? If so, is this a direct payment to First who then provide them on a so-called commercial basis?
No. There is no such payment anymore.

MarkC

IMO i think this could prove to be a disaster for Cornwall Council and Go Ahead. These routes are a long way from Citybus Plymouth depot and will require more outstations for not much profit I would guess . I expect FK to launch commercial services in competition with Go Cornwall on anything that make a profit meaning subsidies will be withdrawn leaving Go Cornwall with loss making services miles off their network. Also perhaps FK could expand into GA East Cornwall territory. If I were Stagecoach I would be looking carefully at Plymouth area as Citybus will no doubt suffer in the city whilst they try and get their Cornwall network up and running.

richw

Veteran Member
Have they enough o licences for an extra 130 vehicles? Currently operate 170 day to day. How long does that process take? They’ve got around 85 Days to get any extra o licences, 72 days for route registration to be submitted in advance of starting the routes. 85 days to find 130 small vehicles plus spares to cover planned and unplanned maintaince, 200 drivers to find. Depots and outstations to find. Apparently they intend pulling in from other GA groups but have they really got that many buses and drivers sat spare? I foresee a total disaster looming for PCB and CC unless they pull off some kind of miracle!

ChrisPJ

Go Ahead are pretty good at setting up new operations lately, they’ve done remarkably well in both Manchester and Ireland