• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

carlberry

Established Member
and presumably just the tip of an iceberg. I imagine there being more too.
As I understand it subsidy can’t be legally paid if there is a commercial alternative
Cornwall have an agreement that gives them more power over bus services which, I suspect, means they could carry on with what they planned however it would basically be using tax payers money to subsidise a bus war.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Cornwall have an agreement that gives them more power over bus services which, I suspect, means they could carry on with what they planned however it would basically be using tax payers money to subsidise a bus war.

but surely it doesn’t allow them to pay subsidy when there is a commercial alternative. That would be a gross misuse of public funds

busKernow

but surely it doesn’t allow them to pay subsidy when there is a commercial alternative. That would be a gross misuse of public funds
So till now they have needed a subsidy to run services on The lizard now they are saying they dont ?

Goldfish62

Established Member
So I guess what's happened today is that FK has submitted the registrations to CC for the 28 day pre-authorisation period so CC can decide what it's going to do with its supported routes, before FK submits the registrations to the TC with the statutory 42 days notice.

TechDan2002

Does anyone know what’s going on with bustimes.org ? All the timetables and route history on the fleet list seem to have been removed.

MB162435

Established Member
Does anyone know what’s going on with bustimes.org ? All the timetables and route history on the fleet list seem to have been removed.
Glad it's not just me then, been playing up all day, was catching the U2 earlier and went to check if it was on time or not, and if any interesting bus was working it, and only the bus stops were left, everything else disappeared

TechDan2002

Glad it's not just me then, been playing up all day, was catching the U2 earlier and went to check if it was on time or not, and if any interesting bus was working it, and only the bus stops were left, everything else disappeared
I couldn’t access it at all at 08:00 on my walk to the bus stop like I usually do to see what trident is going to take me to Truro College on the 231 (it was 33084 in the end). I kept getting 503 errors pointing to a fault on their end.

richw

Veteran Member

They don’t. They have franchising powers but only in as much as they are able to seek to use these, which is still subject to passing all the required tests.

They have no special enacted powers

MB162435

Established Member
I couldn’t access it at all at 08:00 on my walk to the bus stop like I usually do to see what trident is going to take me to Truro College on the 231 (it was 33084 in the end). I kept getting 503 errors pointing to a fault on their end.
Still seems to be playing up

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
They don’t. They have franchising powers but only in as much as they are able to seek to use these, which is still subject to passing all the required tests.

They have no special enacted powers
I agree.

83G/84D

Established Member
The latest open top conversion 37729 was being moved around Camborne depot yesterday afternoon. It awaits Atlantic Coaster branding but is in the base colour, not sure if it has been certified or MOT’d yet.

Wonder if Olympian 34137 will be retained as it saw little use if any last summer despite being potentially available for 20 days, can see it being retired.

jammy36

Wonder if Olympian 34137 will be retained as it saw little use if any last summer despite being potentially available for 20 days, can see it being retired.

Yes it's being retained, but as part of the private hire fleet rather than for service.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Saw a double deck driver trainer in Goldsithney at lunchtime, the first I'd seen in the area for yonks, but I did mischievously wonder whether it was just being driven around as a two-fingered gesture to another company, :lol:

GBM

Saw a double deck driver trainer in Goldsithney at lunchtime, the first I'd seen in the area for yonks, but I did mischievously wonder whether it was just being driven around as a two-fingered gesture to another company, :lol:
The U4 goes around Goldsithney, so all part of route learning.
The Long Rock to Truro College also goes that way, thence St Hilary, etc.
Learners are taken around many areas to prepare them for 'whats to come'!
Occasionally taken around a single deck route in the training deck (provided it fits of course)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The U4 goes around Goldsithney, so all part of route learning.
The Long Rock to Truro College also goes that way, thence St Hilary, etc.
Learners are taken around many areas to prepare them for 'whats to come'!
Occasionally taken around a single deck route in the training deck (provided it fits of course)
Goldsithney would certainly be required learning for a new driver, as it presents particular problems, as I should know! The pic that appears on the left here is of two U4s outside the village hall, both in service, one Pz bound, the other Penryn bound (photo taken from my car). I'll leave someone to speculate what was going on!

I certainly hope FK are able to recruit new drivers, with the brash new kid on the block offering headline incentives to bus drivers old and new.I wonder how many current FK drivers are contemplating moving over - imo they should think long and hard before doing so, particularly if they live in the Penwith area and might have much longer getting-to-work journeys. Sometimes better the devil you know....

richw

Veteran Member
I certainly hope FK are able to recruit new drivers, with the brash new kid on the block offering headline incentives to bus drivers old and new.
We, at first have an incredible rail discount offer for GWR. For one round trip for myself and 2 chargeable kids to London, the saving was in excess of over £400, citybus are only offering 20p more an hour, we can use get up to 48 discounted GWR tickets a year. I would have yo work an awful lot of hours to get the rail savings back!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
We, at first have an incredible rail discount offer for GWR. For one round trip for myself and 2 chargeable kids to London, the saving was in excess of over £400, citybus are only offering 20p more an hour, we can use get up to 48 discounted GWR tickets a year. I would have yo work an awful lot of hours to get the rail savings back!
Ah, 20p per hour. I was hoping someone in the know could provide the comparison: presumably with Go Ahead there'll be more of what are considered unsocial hours too: i.e. evenings, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Can't see too many drivers changing over for pay alone, then, but we'll see.

MB162435

Established Member
Good to hear that Camborne is next on the 'to do' list of station refurbishments, it's certainly past its best

richw

Veteran Member
Ah, 20p per hour. I was hoping someone in the know could provide the comparison: presumably with Go Ahead there'll be more of what are considered unsocial hours too: i.e. evenings, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Can't see too many drivers changing over for pay alone, then, but we'll see.

We get GWR day rovers for their full
Network for £6 each and can take 3 guests with us too (kids £3) after 6 months employment I think it is. That benefit is worth £1000s a year to some of my colleagues who use them regularly to travel about. We’ve also got healthcare benefits as well. Citybus don’t appear to be advertising anything like this and I know they don’t get rail benefits, even on their GA trains.

Our management are very approachable and look after their staff well and everyone seems to have a positive relationship, certainly at this end of the network. Take Alex the MD for example, he comes into the canteen and sits and chats with the drivers like he is one of us. It all creates a positive working environment. The general consensus amongst drivers I’ve seen over the last few weeks is that we’d be silly to jump when we’ve got an employer who looks after their staff well, and is guaranteeing no redundancies or depot closures. Staff morale at the moment is the best I’ve experienced at any place I’ve ever worked.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Good to hear that Camborne is next on the 'to do' list of station refurbishments, it's certainly past its best

There was talk on here some time ago that Camborne bus station was to close. Bus stops would be elsewhere in the town with the bus station site being retained solely as a depot and offices.

MB162435

Established Member
There was talk on here some time ago that Camborne bus station was to close. Bus stops would be elsewhere in the town with the bus station site being retained solely as a depot and offices.
Won't PCB have to use various stops around Camborne anyway, or will they still use the bus station?

If not, wonder if Kernow will take that opportunity to displace their services to other stops and close the station to passengers, but it sounded like in their Facebook post that the station will be refurbished not closed

Goldfish62

Established Member
Won't PCB have to use various stops around Camborne anyway, or will they still use the bus station?

If not, wonder if Kernow will take that opportunity to displace their services to other stops and close the station to passengers, but it sounded like in their Facebook post that the station will be refurbished not closed
PCB will have to be allowed into the bus station. It's a legal requirement to allow access to operator-owned bus stations on a non-discriminatory basis. FK will however be able to levy a departure charge.

devonexpress

We get GWR day rovers for their full
Network for £6 each and can take 3 guests with us too (kids £3) after 6 months employment I think it is. That benefit is worth £1000s a year to some of my colleagues who use them regularly to travel about. We’ve also got healthcare benefits as well. Citybus don’t appear to be advertising anything like this and I know they don’t get rail benefits, even on their GA trains.

Our management are very approachable and look after their staff well and everyone seems to have a positive relationship, certainly at this end of the network. Take Alex the MD for example, he comes into the canteen and sits and chats with the drivers like he is one of us. It all creates a positive working environment. The general consensus amongst drivers I’ve seen over the last few weeks is that we’d be silly to jump when we’ve got an employer who looks after their staff well, and is guaranteeing no redundancies or depot closures. Staff morale at the moment is the best I’ve experienced at any place I’ve ever worked.
Hopefully FK will be able to keep going on like it currently is, It's so stupid of Cornwall Council to hand the whole lot of its tenders to Go-Ahead, something really that should be investigated by the CMA. Whilst GA are a good competent operator, I can't see them putting as much effort as the team at First have in the last few years.