• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
33320 on U1/U2 duties today currently on the 13:10 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro, and Trident 33142 on U3 services

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Behind a Trident on the A1 this afternoon and the back was incredibly filthy, looked like weeks' worth. It's not been especially bad weather recently, so haven't really got that excuse.

richw

Veteran Member
Behind a Trident on the A1 this afternoon and the back was incredibly filthy, looked like weeks' worth. It's not been especially bad weather recently, so haven't really got that excuse.

this was less than 2 hours after I had to wait for it to finish going through the wash today. It was spotless when I left Summercourt at 10, this photo was taken at padstow at 1158!

Attachments

• ACA938A7-1D1F-4B04-BCEF-E69FE2A108ED.jpeg
    ACA938A7-1D1F-4B04-BCEF-E69FE2A108ED.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

dgl

Established Member
Yes it's dirty at the moment, Was on the SWC 96 service last week and couldn't see out of the windows, even worse as It was dark and thus you need your wits about you so as to know where to get off.

Goldfish62

Established Member
this was less than 2 hours after I had to wait for it to finish going through the wash today. It was spotless when I left Summercourt at 10, this photo was taken at padstow at 1158!
That's what I'd expect when the roads are wet at this time of year. I think probably what Busaholic was referring to was caked-on thick layers of mud that clearly are more than a day's worth.

Has Penzance got its bus wash up and running now? To be fair I think the buses look cleaner this winter than they have done previously.

richw

Veteran Member
That's what I'd expect when the roads are wet at this time of year. I think probably what Busaholic was referring to was caked-on thick layers of mud that clearly are more than a day's worth.

Has Penzance got its bus wash up and running now? To be fair I think the buses look cleaner this winter than they have done previously.

not sure about Penzance. I know Helston aren’t able to wash as a rule set by the land owner

Busaholic

Veteran Member

You're right, I was. It does give a horrible impression to anyone less inclined than most of us here to make allowances and, in particular, to someone who may soon be contemplating using a bus on a regular basis for perhaps the first time when the cheaper fares kick in, which is May I believe. My local Labour councillor on Cornwall Council was enthusing about that this morning, which is unusual for an opposition member, but he actually lives in Pendeen and his return fare to Pz on the A17 is tremendous, He quoted me the fare currently from Pendeen to St Just, no great distance, and it sounded more like a taxi fare.

MB162435

Established Member
Looking at the bustimes tracker, Solo 53827 is on the 18:10 U4 service from Penryn Campus to Penzance service, having worked the 16:45 service from Penzance most unusual for a single Decker to be used on the full route, normally single deckers only do the short Helston to Penzance service, maybe easier to turn around in Porthleven for the roadworks and that it works via Praa Sands on the 18:10 return service, or covering a failure/maintenance?

farwest

I saw a very red looking OTS bus in Camborne bus station this afternoon. Could not get the reg. Might have been on the 442.

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw a very red looking OTS bus in Camborne bus station this afternoon. Could not get the reg. Might have been on the 442.

V100 OTS, being readied for the new Go Cornwall services in April. It's been working the 442 on and off for a few weeks.

MB162435

Established Member
Uni MMC 33301 is operating the 15:45 A17 service from St Ives to Pendeen and the 17:12 return service

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 33148 on Tinner services and 53814 in service 46 earlier today. Two Tinner E400MMC’s off the road waiting glazing repairs.

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow's new commercial service registrations were submitted yesterday, Marc put on Twitter, so we should find out what their new 2020 vision is soon

Be interesting to see who releases their timetable first, GCB or FK

richw

Veteran Member
Kernow's new commercial service registrations were submitted yesterday, Marc put on Twitter, so we should find out what their new 2020 vision is soon

Be interesting to see who releases their timetable first, GCB or FK

Something to consider is that the tenders start on 1/4/20, that is mid week, in the school holidays. Timetables normally change on a Sunday. I expect we will see GCB times first.
Personally (i haven’t heard anything official this is my own thoughts) I would expect to see commercial changes once the schools go back, and further summer uplifts maybe towards May half term as far as the commercial services stand. If resources allow maybe even some changes to correspond with the start of the Easter holidays before the tenders change.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Something to consider is that the tenders start on 1/4/20, that is mid week, in the school holidays. Timetables normally change on a Sunday. I expect we will see GCB times first.
Personally (i haven’t heard anything official this is my own thoughts) I would expect to see commercial changes once the schools go back, and further summer uplifts maybe towards May half term as far as the commercial services stand. If resources allow maybe even some changes to correspond with the start of the Easter holidays before the tenders change.
The start date appears to have been moved to 29th March.

Goldfish62

Established Member
so theoretically those registrations should be available no later than 16th February for 29th March
Yes. In fact, if they've just been submitted they should start appearing in N&P from this Friday.

MB162435

Established Member
Yeah that sounds like something Kernow would do with such little time until the official timetable change, it would be pointless to change the timetable twice in just over a month

So they're not giving anything away to staff in the depot meetings, just your job is safe, don't panic, we have work for all of you?

I'm guessing the majority of the new commercial routes would be from the western Depots (Helston, Falmouth and Penzance) and probably Eden, as they seem to have lost the majority of the CC work compared to Summercourt

richw

Veteran Member
So they're not giving anything away to staff in the depot meetings, just your job is safe, don't panic, we have work for all of you?

I'm guessing the majority of the new commercial routes would be from the western Depots (Helston, Falmouth and Penzance) and probably Eden, as they seem to have lost the majority of the CC work compared to Summercourt
Bodmin has lost 55,95,96 leaving them one 27 turn and some college runs.

They’ve given us plenty of information. All very positive. Any planned new routes, timetables, increases etc can’t be shared until they’re public, confidentiality etc . Start dates weren’t given.

MB162435

Established Member

They’ve given us plenty of information. All very positive. Any planned new routes, timetables, increases etc can’t be shared until they’re public, confidentiality etc . Start dates weren’t given.
That's sounds promising, of course I wouldn't want to get you on their naughty list

Most of the routes I currently catch are Kernow's current commercial services anyway U1, T1 etc. So I shouldn't be too affected anyway

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

That's all understandable.

The depots with the greatest impact are Bodmin (routes noted above), together with the outstations at Helston (Lizard network) and Falmouth (Helford and locals)?