first Kernow

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by RPI, 21 Jul 2014.

1. richw

richw Established Member

Umm since when was Newcastle in Truro?

3rd Floor, 41- 51 Grey Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 6EE

FSW just for posterity...

Union Street, Camborne, Cornwall, United Kingdom, TR14 8HF

2. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

Exactly.

Go Cornwall Bus is not even a company. It's a trading name of Plymouth Citybus Ltd, registered office in Newcastle.

3. richw

richw Established Member

presumably running on PCB operator licences. As yet no new operating centres have been added to that operator licence

4. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I said that Go Cornwall's head office is in Cornwall, that's all, which is a fact. Trying to be 'more Cornish than the Cornish' is an unedifying spectacle in a commercial environment, one which I well remember when an arch fantasist who called himself Peter de Savory (not his real name) bought Land's End about thirty years ago and I was invited as a potential 'supplier of goods' to a whizzbang presentation following the great man's arrival by helicopter (very Lord Sugar, or Robert Maxwell), I saw enough to refuse the 'offer'; others more credulous than myself were later left ruing their unpaid invoices.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2020
  5. richw

richw Established Member

But legally it isn’t. They have an office in Truro. It isn’t their head office.

6. Goldfish62

Yes. The only difference between PCB and GCB buses is the name on the exterior. Well, it is currently. Presumably the independents will also use GCB livery and names. It doesn't matter what livery and fleet name an operator uses. What matters is the legal lettering and the O disc - which must match.

The TCs will not be hurried when it comes to operating centre approval. It's not their concern that an operator may wish to start urgently. This of course could present an issue....

7. richw

richw Established Member

Known sites from give always in the job ads, Cormac scorrier, Newquay airport, Rilla mill near Liskeard/ callington / Launceston in the caradon hills.... this is the interesting one as it’s on narrow back road.

8. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Veteran Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Guess it depends what gets registered? How many of the e200mmc are CC owned as well?

9. richw

richw Established Member

16 are council owned

10. njlawley

njlawley Member

To put it into perspective, there are two companies based in the building where I work. There are about 100 whose registered address is at the same building.

Why? Because the other company is a firm of accountants. The purpose of a registered address is for legal reasons, where statutory mail from the government is sent - usually relating to tax. Likewise, for Go Ahead, Newcastle is where the financial parts of the business are based (the group's actual HQ is now in Westminster).

11. Goldfish62

I believe the 16 council owned ones have been more or less confirmed as leaving the fleet next month.

There's a reduction of about 35 PVR in work. Whatever is registered as suddenly miraculously commercial I can't see it being sufficient enough to use the balance of 20-odd buses. I would certainly expect the Darts and most of the Solos to go. Some will need to stay for Mousehole.

I may of course be completely wrong!

12. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Veteran Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Thanks to @richw for that confirmation, and also for your update.

It will be interesting to see what gets registered. I'm guessing that the PZ 5, and some elements of the 46/47 will be retained (along with the mooted retention of some of the Lizard/Helston work). It's Bodmin that I have more of a struggle in wondering what might be retained?

13. Whiteway215

Whiteway215 Established Member

When are the FK registrations likely to be made public?

14. freetoview33

freetoview33 Established Member

Within the next 2 weeks

15. richw

richw Established Member

More uninformed presumption. There’s nothing going to become ‘miraculously commercial’. A big part of the network in mid Cornwall was tendered because the Council want routes to divert off the main commercial line, or more variants of routes than are commercial, or a higher frequency than is commercial, or extended to take a commercial part further on.
    Hence having not won tenders on that basis FSW inevitably will go back to registering the underlying purely commercially parts from March 29th.
    There’s nothing ‘miraculous’ about that.

What FSW will also do is to take the opportunity of having resources available (at the start of the season) to bring forward Summer uplifts and a series of plans that have been on the ‘to develop’ list for 14 April and early May.

Similarly, it’s an uninformed assumption
    to make that this work is going to use up the displaced Solos or Darts.

A few may end up on contract or similar work (the FSW business model has a significant number of private contracts and other business than local bus), but most of the additional work being developed requires coaches and double deckers as it happens.

Finally, far from using up surplus buses, Kernow is expecting around 50 vehicles to join the fleet in the next few months for a variety of new business and upgrades to exiting fleet.

16. Goldfish62

That's interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

As for "uninformed presumption" sorry if you've somehow taken offence at this, but if we can't speculate on this forum then it's going to end up stifling debate. As for "miraculously commercial", yes, this has been replicated throughout the country when operators use tendered routes and is nothing other than a tongue in cheek observation that's common in the industry. I'm not going to apologise for making that comment.

For the record, if there's any side to take I'm on FK's side, not GCB and I wish FK well for their new ventures because they deserve to succeed.

17. MB162435

MB162435 Member

But is that a concern for passengers, Kernow only started do the 'Real Cornish buses' after GCB came on the scene. Don't they care what their bus service is run by, weather they are Cornish, Iranian or Australian, as long as the bus turns up on time and don't cost them an arm and a leg.

You can't say they're real Cornish buses, when they were built across the Tamar unless Optare or ADL has opened a factory in Cornwall recently?

I'm all for Kernow embracing the Cornish culture, I hope GCB do too but I do hope they don't try and out Cornish each other, there is no award for the most Cornish bus company

18. Goldfish62

It's nothing more or less than a light-hearted promotional campaign, as are the various Cornish dialect phrases on the rear of buses.

19. carlberry

carlberry Established Member

Apparently the next lot of advertising boards are going to carry the message 'The other lot's drivers put the jam on top of the cream.' :lol:

20. Goldfish62

Graham Lightfoot, the poet bus driver, has indeed just written a poem on this subject. :D

21. richw

richw Established Member

here it is. He’s illustrated it with the attached images

Attached Files:

22. Busaholic

P.S. 'As indeed do our own colleagues in the Cider County' :lol:

23. Busaholic

They might have found a Rowe Hillmaster bus, which along with lorries were custom-built in East Cornwall for a few years in the 1950s and 1960s: I believe they were all for local independents, but none of the buses survive that I know of.

On the subject of Cornish dialect, the most well-known book on the subject is 'Oall Rite Me 'Ansum' by Cornish bard Les Merton, published by his own Palores imprint in Redruth, but possibly difficult to obtain since his imprisonment for thirteen years in 2015.

24. Whiteway215

Whiteway215 Established Member

THE 95 AFTER APRIL

We're waiting for April Fool's Day
    When PCB takes over the bus
    New drivers, new buses,some chaos?
    Will the passengers make a big fuss?

New drivers will have been route trained
    Let's hope they remember the way
    I mustn't be rude,but after Bude
    Hope they don't miss out Widemouth Bay!

When they get to Wainhouse Corner
    They must remember to turn right
    Or the folk from Crackington Haven
    Will be ready to put up a fight

Worrying about their cream teas
    Is it cream on top of the jam?
    Drivers must concentrate what they're doing
    As they pick up in Otterham

Tintagel,Camelford,Wadebridge
    St Columb and Summercourt
    Will they be allowed in these places?
    Without showing their passport

But when they get to Truro
    Capital if the County of Tin
    Let's hope the Kernow locals
    Will let the PCB drivers in!

25. MB162435

MB162435 Member

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, we all need a bit of light hearted banter even if in Kernow's case that's with the incoming enemy

Let's hope the it doesn't get vandalised like the dialect stickers did on the Tinner seats, I know Kernow said they would be replaced but I seem to see less and less of them on Tinners these days

26. Goldfish62

Agreed.

27. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

An unidentified E200MMC and open top Olympian 34137 seen heading west along the Hayle bypass at around 1850 this evening. Both not in service of course.

28. 83G/84D

During a brief venture out this morning 20804 and Lizard Trident 32756 seen on rail replacement services in Camborne. Based on information received previously this operation should be exclusively operated by First vehicles.

I am back inside drying off now and unlikely to provide further updates today.

29. richw

richw Established Member

33181 and 33173 allocated rail on the Summercourt running board today

30. 83G/84D

Thank you.