• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
At least the article clearly mentions who the operator is, as otherwise it may have been assumed it was a First Bus.
Indeed, otherwise I would expect Kernow would of released a statement quite quickly stating it wasn't theirs

Goldfish62

Established Member
The main routes will probably retain their e400mmc.

However, whilst the Geminis are likely to replace Tridents on schools and college work, they will occasionally appear on main routes to cover breakdowns and shortages, much as Tridents do these days.
In the Penzance area Tridents are pretty much the mainstay of the double deck fleet, operating on the A1, A17 and U4, ie much more than schools and spares cover.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In the Penzance area Tridents are pretty much the mainstay of the double deck fleet, operating on the A1, A17 and U4, ie much more than schools and spares cover.

Was thinking more of the Tinners and the Newquay routes (and the U series) as per the OP's post.

The A17 is a regular Trident haunt (esp in summer) whilst A1/A5 is booked for Tridents IIRC. The U4 should be e400mmc and Tridents are only there to cover shortages, in much the same way that Tinners shouldn't have Tridents (but do). Mind you, you get e400mmc on the A17 on occasion too!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Was thinking more of the Tinners and the Newquay routes (and the U series) as per the OP's post.

The A17 is a regular Trident haunt (esp in summer) whilst A1/A5 is booked for Tridents IIRC. The U4 should be e400mmc and Tridents are only there to cover shortages, in much the same way that Tinners shouldn't have Tridents (but do). Mind you, you get e400mmc on the A17 on occasion too!
And on the A1! The regularity of use on the U4 appears to me to be far more frequent than on the T routes. It's not unusual for them to be the dominant vehicle type on some days.

Yesterday evening the St Erth P&R Solo was on the U4. Hopefully no one was standing for too long!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

And on the A1! The regularity of use on the U4 appears to me to be far more frequent than on the T routes. It's not unusual for them to be the dominant vehicle type on some days.

Yesterday evening the St Erth P&R Solo was on the U4. Hopefully no one was standing for too long!

I know ;) TBF, 1 Trident on the U4 is gonna be more prominent than 1 on the Tinner (percentage wise :))

Given my experience on the U4 (and 2) has been Leopards, VRs, mature Olympians and Tridents, mmc on the U4 seems like abject luxury!

fgwrich

Established Member
The ex Reading machines are in Somerset.

These ones are 2 of a batch of three that were new to First Berkshire (ironically used in Reading) and via Slough and Weymouth, ended up in Bath (Westbury) for Discover services.

Oh I know, I was wondering if the last Scania L94s were the now departed ex Reading examples?. I'm pleased they're now in Somerset though.

I see it's one of the old Fasttrack vehicles used on the Majedski shuttle too - god knows how many times I'd have had that going up to London Irish matches! By the time it reaches Kernow, it'll also be on it's 3rd if not 4th coat of paint too.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
Uni East Lanc 32757 and MMC 33476 on T1/T2 services today

With Tinner 33467 on U1/U2 duties

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Oh I know, I was wondering if the last Scania L94s were the now departed ex Reading examples?. I'm pleased they're now in Somerset though.

I see it's one of the old Fasttrack vehicles used on the Majedski shuttle too - god knows how many times I'd have had that going up to London Irish matches! By the time it reaches Kernow, it'll also be on it's 3rd if not 4th coat of paint too.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your earlier post.

All three vehicles (65724-6) were new for the Majedski Fastrack, with the vinyls amended for use on the X74 High Wycombe to Slough before heading to Weymouth for a brief spell before heading to Westbury outstation for use on their services. 65724/6 received Urban livery (think 65724 after an RTA) but 65725 retained Barbie. All were then re-liveried in yellow Discover branding that they currently wear.

65726 has a blown engine so some doubt as to whether it will run again. They're spare as First have axed one of the Discover services saving 4 vehicles. Wonder if these might be a short term summer allocation and they might be put on the A17 as one of the routes that can take full size singles?

TechDan2002

I’ve ridden tridents 33165 and 33001 on the U4 today, and 33068 and 33148 on the A17. Also on U4 today is E400 33422 and Tinner MMC 33455.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Sorry if I misinterpreted your earlier post.

All three vehicles (65724-6) were new for the Majedski Fastrack, with the vinyls amended for use on the X74 High Wycombe to Slough before heading to Weymouth for a brief spell before heading to Westbury outstation for use on their services. 65724/6 received Urban livery (think 65724 after an RTA) but 65725 retained Barbie. All were then re-liveried in yellow Discover branding that they currently wear.

65726 has a blown engine so some doubt as to whether it will run again. They're spare as First have axed one of the Discover services saving 4 vehicles. Wonder if these might be a short term summer allocation and they might be put on the A17 as one of the routes that can take full size singles?
Stated by "Behind the Scenes" that they're for the National Maritime Museum P&R.

MB162435

Established Member
Trident 33236 and Uni MMCs 33470 and 33476 on T1/T2 services today

With Tinner 33467, Trident 33165, East Lancs 32755 and 32762 on U3s

Tinner 33455 on U4s

MB162435

Established Member
33311 now also on U1/U2 duties, currently on the 16:30 U2 service from Falmouth Moor to Redruth

Meaning now that all current Kernow MMC liveries are on Uni services both version of the Uni liveries, Tinner and Kernow Green

83G/84D

Established Member
Green E400MMC 33319 on rail replacement this morning. Dual door Trident 33111 on T1 services.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The blue Unis I saw today were on the U4 (its number ended ---20), the A17 (number ended ---70) and another presumably on RR or about to go on it in the layby just past Mount's Bay Coaches depot opposite Sainsbury's in Pz: the first time I've seen a bus there since Western National days.

MB162435

Established Member
The A1 is going open top all day, all year round from Easter, Marc announced on Twitter this evening, probably to try and compete with the ones GCB will be operating in the evenings and on Sundays

Let's hope next Winter isn't as wet, but doubt many people will be rushing upstairs come winter time

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The A1 is going open top all day, all year round from Easter, Marc announced on Twitter this evening, probably to try and compete with the ones GCB will be operating in the evenings and on Sundays

Let's hope next Winter isn't as wet, but doubt many people will be rushing upstairs come winter time
That's a curious decision, one that I expect people on the ground at the hard end won't observe too closely oos. In any case, evening workings, even in summer, end fairly early, unless they are going to be extended timewise. I often see the last journey into Pz, round about 7.30 p.m., and it rarely has more than half a dozen aboard even in Summer. OOS it's often zero.

Andyh82

Established Member
I can’t see many wanting to ride upstairs during next year’s equivalent of Storm Dennis

Surely out of season A1’s is the perfect location for spare branded closed tops from the A5’s, unless part of the 2020 vision is to open top all the Atlantic Coasters?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can’t see many wanting to ride upstairs during next year’s equivalent of Storm Dennis

Surely out of season A1’s is the perfect location for spare branded closed tops from the A5’s, unless part of the 2020 vision is to open top all the Atlantic Coasters?
Not enough to go around, surely. They struggled trying to cover the A1/2/3 last year and there were plenty of closed tops out on most days.

The A1 should have one of the plentiful AC branded Tridents on it off-season, but invariably it's a First liveried one.

MB162435

Established Member
That's a curious decision, one that I expect people on the ground at the hard end won't observe too closely oos. In any case, evening workings, even in summer, end fairly early, unless they are going to be extended timewise. I often see the last journey into Pz, round about 7.30 p.m., and it rarely has more than half a dozen aboard even in Summer. OOS it's often zero.
Same, I can't see many people, especially locals skipping the GCB A1 service just to catch the open top Kernow one

I was expecting one or two of the soon to arrive Gemini's to possibly be painted in Atlantic Coaster livery for use on the A1 and A17, or maybe the plan is to use the open top ones on the A1 and closed top on the A17?

Either way, I can't see it being one of Kernow's greatest decisions

Lizard1324

they’ve also got an ex kernow P25*UCW in their fleet, it’s one or the other
The one of Cornwall live is the AXl 400 bodied one but there olympian p250UCW is in a much worse state, saw it last week on a school run, thought it was a green painted bus but was just mould covering the bus.