• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Other Volvo B7TL's noted recently and transferred from Bristol are 32546, 32619, 32625 & 32681. Additionally 37045 has arrived from York.
[/QUOTE. Is 32546 a substitution only I don't think it was on the original list of B7TLs expected from West of England as provided by Kernow Behind the Scenes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Kernow have just posted a video of Alex Carter doing a sing along tribute to all of his staff!
enjoy!

richw

Veteran Member
Today’s drive all duty. 32678 I think.
shiny wheels just add to the overall presentation!

Attachments

• 354C8968-25B7-4890-9989-77407BEE183C.jpeg
    354C8968-25B7-4890-9989-77407BEE183C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • CDB92697-E3C2-4B21-8B0D-B2D3526CA972.jpeg
    CDB92697-E3C2-4B21-8B0D-B2D3526CA972.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • DB36D0C4-97D5-4F4D-83F8-D748A53C946F.jpeg
    DB36D0C4-97D5-4F4D-83F8-D748A53C946F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 53

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Kernow have just posted a video of Alex Carter doing a sing along tribute to all of his staff!
enjoy!
Never met the guy, but he's certainly won me over! He's got a future career as a Neil Diamond tribute act, though he might struggle to fit in the costume. :lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Never met the guy, but he's certainly won me over! He's got a future career as a Neil Diamond tribute act, though he might struggle to fit in the costume. :lol:
He's one of best people in the industry. FSW is very lucky to have him as MD. You don't often hear of him because, unlike some others, he's not constantly on the lookout for the next photo opportunity in Coach and Bus Week or Route One.

richw

Veteran Member
He's one of best people in the industry. FSW is very lucky to have him as MD. You don't often hear of him because, unlike some others, he's not constantly on the lookout for the next photo opportunity in Coach and Bus Week or Route One.

completely agree. He joins his drivers in the canteens and sits with us talking away getting involved in the banter like he’s one of us, no sign of being any form of hierarchy. He’s a great MD and a decent bloke too.

Lizard1324

Why are they using the gemini on the t1 and t2 again?
And I'm surprised they are still using a
president on the u4 today

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Why are they using the gemini on the t1 and t2 again?
And I'm surprised they are still using a
president on the u4 today

Not sure why deckers are out on the T1 /T2 but this afternoon 32623 was on the T2. 32687 has a NHS heart on the front windscreen. Mendip Explorer 32688 parked in Camborne, was undergoing maintenance a few days earlier.

richw

Veteran Member
Not sure why deckers are out on the T1 /T2 but this afternoon 32623 was on the T2. 32687 has a NHS heart on the front windscreen. Mendip Explorer 32688 parked in Camborne, was undergoing maintenance a few days earlier.

everything that was live in the fleet last week received the nhs heart. Not sure if the parked up fleet received them too

83G/84D

Established Member
everything that was live in the fleet last week received the nhs heart. Not sure if the parked up fleet received them too

Seem's that way, some of the Volvo B7TL's don't have them but they have defect stickers on the windscreens. The Lizard Trident's don't either, guess they are VOR.

Lizard1324

Seem's that way, some of the Volvo B7TL's don't have them but they have defect stickers on the windscreens. The Lizard Trident's don't either, guess they are VOR.
Are the blue NHS hearts going to be a permanent item on the buses, hope so as it will be a memory for the NHS after this blows over, if they do keep the hearts they will probaly add to the lizard tridents

Lizard1324

any news on new buses getting painted yet, probaly been stopped, also any news on new paint jobs e.g. any geminis in Atlantic coasters or lizard colours or even a few gwmini in uni colours for the u route especially the u4 which used to have the two 18 plate 400 mmc and the a single president

83G/84D

Established Member
any news on new buses getting painted yet, probaly been stopped, also any news on new paint jobs e.g. any geminis in Atlantic coasters or lizard colours or even a few gwmini in uni colours for the u route especially the u4 which used to have the two 18 plate 400 mmc and the a single president

Nothing newly repainted seen in Camborne for several weeks. Not sure if the paint facility is still operational or if FK are using it if it is. It doesn't really matter if a tatty ex Bristol B7TL gets used on a U4 or T1 for a few days. Some of the blue E400MMC's were supposed to be receiving the "U lines" branding as well but as far as I know none have yet. Haven't heard that the Gemini's are going on the U routes, even if the Trident (32757) goes there's still the older E400's for those routes.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Nothing newly repainted seen in Camborne for several weeks. Not sure if the paint facility is still operational or if FK are using it if it is. It doesn't really matter if a tatty ex Bristol B7TL gets used on a U4 or T1 for a few days. Some of the blue E400MMC's were supposed to be receiving the "U lines" branding as well but as far as I know none have yet. Haven't heard that the Gemini's are going on the U routes, even if the Trident (32757) goes there's still the older E400's for those routes.
Apart from any other consideration, which are many and various, it's surely wise to assume that previous branding plans are nul and void, with everything up in the air as to the future, which really is totally unknowable. It really is PEOPLE that we should be thinking of now, the rest can wait.

Lizard1324

Talking about the older e400 is 33421 - WA08 MVF still in use bus times said it was last on the u3 nearly 2 months ago?
Is it broken or something happen to it?

83G/84D

Established Member
Busaholic - Yes agree with that, not being insensitive to the current situation. Just talking and speculating about something a bit less serious for a while such as fleet changes etc, takes your mind off things a bit.
I suffer from bad anxiety so a break from the more serious stuff is needed from time to time.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Busaholic - Yes agree with that, not being insensitive to the current situation. Just talking and speculating about something a bit less serious for a while such as fleet changes etc, takes your mind off things a bit.
I suffer from bad anxiety so a break from the more serious stuff is needed from time to time.
I wasn't intending to be critical of you, my friend. My wife suffers from bad anxiety and, frankly, she has quite a lot to be anxious about at present quite apart from any virus threat. So please ignore what I said: I'm a kindly person really.

83G/84D

Established Member
I wasn't intending to be critical of you, my friend. My wife suffers from bad anxiety and, frankly, she has quite a lot to be anxious about at present quite apart from any virus threat. So please ignore what I said: I'm a kindly person really.

I am sure you are kindly! Perhaps when this is all over later in the year / next year the regulars on this thread can meet up for a meal / drinks and have a good chat.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I am sure you are kindly! Perhaps when this is all over later in the year / next year the regulars on this thread can meet up for a meal / drinks and have a good chat.
I'm up for that - it'd be nice to put a face to the (mostly made-up) name.

MB162435

Established Member
RMT are apparently not very happy with First South West's screen protection for drivers, after it was brought to their attention by a driver, with them RMT calling them 'shower curtains', although like with everything at the moment the demand for such things is huge, and people and companies can only do what they can in these very challenging times

richw

Veteran Member
RMT are apparently not very happy with First South West's screen protection for drivers, after it was brought to their attention by a driver, with them RMT calling them 'shower curtains', although like with everything at the moment the demand for such things is huge, and people and companies can only do what they can in these very challenging times

it’s a national campaign from RMT and Unite targeting local media’s with local brands. It’s a load of rubbish and remember this is the same union that didn’t want assault screens in Kernow. They can’t have their cake and eat it.

PCB/TfC are using the same material but aren’t very unionised so it’s gone under the radar! Pcb/TfC are Velcro attached. Kernows are with locking clips.
I was asked by a union rep what I thought and I said i hate being enclosed he told me I’m allowed to unclip at my own risk. When I’m carrying 2-3 passengers a trip and they are nowhere near me the risk is very low. I’m probably more at risk on my break in the rest room
additional measures as seen in these photos have been implemented too!
Photos attached of notices fixed to buses.

Attachments

• A8D62761-8DB7-4431-97CA-ECA6E7587C85.jpeg
    A8D62761-8DB7-4431-97CA-ECA6E7587C85.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 62F9BF4C-9847-4A2D-98C3-9100AB39F1EC.jpeg
    62F9BF4C-9847-4A2D-98C3-9100AB39F1EC.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 0FD4C804-B680-475C-8D54-47F67F8CC687.jpeg
    0FD4C804-B680-475C-8D54-47F67F8CC687.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Surprised to follow 30001 (or is it 33001?) off the A30 at Chiverton Cross about 9.35 a.m. towards Truro, oos of course: presumably it had come from Camborne depot.
Saw an empty PR1 and PR1A about the same time, but they were Langarth Park bound so not surprising at that time.
I had a good chance to examine the Tower Block bus stop at RCH, and I consider it to be a disgrace. A huge bus stop sign with room on both sides for route number info: one side blank, the other with a faded 304 on show. The huge space for panel timetables was totally blank, other than a torn sticker that looked like it had been there for a decade (but obviously couldn't have been) in TfC's name and colours saying that there was a Covid-19 timetable and to refer to wherever on a website! No indication whatever that any buses served the stop and, if so, where you might be able to get to. With parking charges suspended, and therefore no overall supervision, the Disabled Parking spaces were occupied by vans and cars without a blue badge, such that I had a quarter mile walk before I even got into the hospital. Just what you need before a gruelling session!

83G/84D

Established Member
Surprised to follow 30001 (or is it 33001?) off the A30 at Chiverton Cross about 9.35 a.m. towards Truro, oos of course: presumably it had come from Camborne depot.
Saw an empty PR1 and PR1A about the same time, but they were Langarth Park bound so not surprising at that time.
I had a good chance to examine the Tower Block bus stop at RCH, and I consider it to be a disgrace. A huge bus stop sign with room on both sides for route number info: one side blank, the other with a faded 304 on show. The huge space for panel timetables was totally blank, other than a torn sticker that looked like it had been there for a decade (but obviously couldn't have been) in TfC's name and colours saying that there was a Covid-19 timetable and to refer to wherever on a website! No indication whatever that any buses served the stop and, if so, where you might be able to get to. With parking charges suspended, and therefore no overall supervision, the Disabled Parking spaces were occupied by vans and cars without a blue badge, such that I had a quarter mile walk before I even got into the hospital. Just what you need before a gruelling session!

Trident's 33001 and 33002 were in Camborne early this morning, no sign of them this evening.

MB162435

Established Member
it’s a national campaign from RMT and Unite targeting local media’s with local brands. It’s a load of rubbish and remember this is the same union that didn’t want assault screens in Kernow. They can’t have their cake and eat it.

PCB/TfC are using the same material but aren’t very unionised so it’s gone under the radar! Pcb/TfC are Velcro attached. Kernows are with locking clips.
I was asked by a union rep what I thought and I said i hate being enclosed he told me I’m allowed to unclip at my own risk. When I’m carrying 2-3 passengers a trip and they are nowhere near me the risk is very low. I’m probably more at risk on my break in the rest room
additional measures as seen in these photos have been implemented too!
Photos attached of notices fixed to buses.
Was surprised, given that Kernow has relatively good union relations compared to most operators, and did think it was not good on the RMT's part going around political point scoring when everyone should be working together for the greater good

Did wonder why they were only having a go at First not TfC, saw on OTS Facebook page they're screens that was done by Penryn Plastics who I know do a good day anyway, but it didn't look much different to Kernow's

Assume all of TfCs must be similar to First's, it's only temporary after all, hardly worth spending loads on

richw

Veteran Member
Was surprised, given that Kernow has relatively good union relations compared to most operators, and did think it was not good on the RMT's part going around political point scoring when everyone should be working together for the greater good

Did wonder why they were only having a go at First not TfC, saw on OTS Facebook page they're screens that was done by Penryn Plastics who I know do a good day anyway, but it didn't look much different to Kernow's

Assume all of TfCs must be similar to First's, it's only temporary after all, hardly worth spending loads on

TfC are Velcro attached, kernows are proper hardware attached with eyes and locking pins. Other than that they are identical. They are considerably thicker than any shower curtain I’ve ever bought. The union are talking **** on this occasion