• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
While at Worcester in late November 32854 had a "new" engine fitted. So hopefully it will not be too bad.

I'm assuming more likely a "better" engine from something with chassis issues, body work issues or accident damage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Buses are getting festive as well. This Trident has an illuminating side advert!

Attachments

• DSC01635.jpg
    DSC01635.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 106

83G/84D

Established Member
Latest repaint into urban / olympia is Transbus Dart 42876

Attachments

• DSC01707.jpg
    DSC01707.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 57

83G/84D

Established Member
All three ex Lothian Darts were caught at Camborne recently. They were all parked round the side of camborne depot earlier this morning. 43904 has recently had Kernow branding applied.

Attachments

• DSC01665.jpg
    DSC01665.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 30873 at Marazion yesterday during a brief glimpse of sunshine whilst Olympian 34138 passes heading east on the 2. One of the oldest Olympian's left in service?

Attachments

• DSC01695.jpg
    DSC01695.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01704.jpg
    DSC01704.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Volvo B7TL 30873 at Marazion yesterday during a brief glimpse of sunshine whilst Olympian 34138 passes heading east on the 2. One of the oldest Olympian's left in service?

Couple of nice photos there. Seems a different era when L638SEU was delivered.

Loathe to assume but will the final Olympians bite the dust in Cornwall when the loaned vehicles in Plymouth are released back to First?

A couple of other wider questions and hope someone can clarify. With Truro depot having full status, does it have a fixed allocation or does everything continue to be allocated to Camborne and rotate through there?

Also, what are the current depots/outstations, and what is the current status of Summercourt?

For the first time in a few years, I won't be seeing in the new year in Cornwall (and in fancy dress) so will have to wait til the Spring when the Olympians will be memory!

richw

Veteran Member
Loathe to assume but will the final Olympians bite the dust in Cornwall when the loaned vehicles in Plymouth are released back to First?

A couple of other wider questions and hope someone can clarify. With Truro depot having full status, does it have a fixed allocation or does everything continue to be allocated to Camborne and rotate through there?

The latest list I have, only the P&R buses are allocated to Truro, everything else (except the Mousehole friendly Solos) still showing as Camborne.

I've been told all MOTs are being carried out at Truro now.

I've also been told that the final Olympians (barring L637SEU) will be off when the Plymouth loans come back.

How many Olympians are still in use with First down there?

L638SEU must be the final member of its batch still in existence, let alone in service. With it being one of the first Palatine 2 bodied vehicles, I wonder if it'll make it into preservation.

L637SEU is likely to be the last operating Olympian when they all go, seeing out the summer. The K reg Leylands have all gone now, so the 3 L regs are the last ones standing.

83G/84D

Established Member
Yellow 68534 seen in a layby on the westbound A30 between Chiverton Cross and Scorrier at around 1045 this morning.

The driver appeared to be trying to fix a defective windscreen wiper.

I think this is a recent transfer to First Kernow.

richw

Veteran Member
Yellow 68534 seen in a layby on the westbound A30 between Chiverton Cross and Scorrier at around 1045 this morning.

The driver appeared to be trying to fix a defective windscreen wiper.

I think this is a recent transfer to First Kernow.

From Essex. Although its been in Taunton for at least 2 weeks.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 13.43 journey from Pz on the 39A yesterday was decker-operated. It was running a bit late: when I saw it at Marazion I first assumed it was the 2 until I saw the Camborne destination. As I was driving in the opposite direction, I can't identify the bus, but it's the first time I've seen a decker on the route. Was it a sub - it was running approx 10 minutes late?

83G/84D

Established Member
The 13.43 journey from Pz on the 39A yesterday was decker-operated. It was running a bit late: when I saw it at Marazion I first assumed it was the 2 until I saw the Camborne destination. As I was driving in the opposite direction, I can't identify the bus, but it's the first time I've seen a decker on the route. Was it a sub - it was running approx 10 minutes late?

Rare to see a decker on this service, not sure why this happened. Maybe a shortage of single deck vehicles? The coach seated vario was on this route a week or two ago.

richw

Veteran Member

Rare to see a decker on this service, not sure why this happened. Maybe a shortage of single deck vehicles? The coach seated vario was on this route a week or two ago.

There is seemingly a shortage of single deck vehicles but an excess of double deckers due to the non DDA single deckers being phased out. The only non DDA single decker I've seen this week in service is the RNLI branded Dart.

Today I observed several diagrams that were normally single deck operated, were today double deckers.

K50WGH seemed to have an issue at Redruth earlier on the 47. Arrived destination Troon, all passengers got off and changed to out of service, loose body trim visible on the rear. He then stated Parked up at Redruth for quite sometime.

On the subject of K50WGH I have solved the mystery of the original registration as its been much discussed on Flickr before now over its identity, it was YJ55YGN

Last edited:

CD

On 3rd December Trident 32854 broke down on M5 on its way from First Wyvern to First Kernow. It was towed to Taunton for repair, but I have heard no reports of it since.
Does anyone know if it has arrived in Cornwall?
Informed today that 32854 three weeks after its failure is still in Taunton depot.
Also there is B7TL 32099, which was yesterday reported on West Midland Buses Blog on its way from Leicester to Bristol.

Informed today that 32854 three weeks after its failure is still in Taunton depot.
Also there is B7TL 32099, which was yesterday reported on West Midland Buses Blog on its way from Leicester to Bristol.

1. It's not going to Cornwall, but is for BoS. There is a second due shortly
2. The engine was under warranty and has been removed by the supplier for repair
3 I think you'll find the ..099 at Taunton is actually a Trident - one of five from South Yorkshire heading to Cornwall, which is also resting in Taunton awaiting attention.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is seemingly a shortage of single deck vehicles but an excess of double deckers due to the non DDA single deckers being phased out. The only non DDA single decker I've seen this week in service is the RNLI branded Dart.

Today I observed several diagrams that were normally single deck operated, were today double deckers.

It's not a shortage as such, but a planned conversion of certain lines to double deck operation, which is indeed linked to the removal of non DDA single decks.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
i

It's not a shortage as such, but a planned conversion of certain lines to double deck operation, which is indeed linked to the removal of non DDA single decks.

I can't imagine the 39A is in line for double deck operation based on loadings. The Mousehole buses could be used with the rear section cordoned off, and there'd still be sufficient room for intending passengers.:lol::

baza585

The bus at Taunton is 33099 which as Mr SW says is a Trident ex South Yorkshire.

B7TL 32099 is the bus reported on its way to Bristol.

richw

Veteran Member
I can't imagine the 39A is in line for double deck operation based on loadings. The Mousehole buses could be used with the rear section cordoned off, and there'd still be sufficient room for intending passengers.:lol::

The only service I ever see full and standing is the 14/18. I guess that will stay single decker then!!! :oops: :lol:

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 43904 in addition to it's recently applied Kernow branding, has received a black band, additional promotional details and a Camborne depot sticker.

Attachments

• DSC01740.jpg
    DSC01740.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01737.jpg
    DSC01737.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01736.jpg
    DSC01736.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 52

richw

Veteran Member

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpg
    IMG_5068.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
The former First depot at Torpoint has been cleared out of buses and is up for sale. Noted earlier today when I was passing by.

The former First depot at Torpoint has been cleared out of buses and is up for sale. Noted earlier today when I was passing by.

Already sold.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, or at least was still in service at lunchtime on 23/12/15 when I took this photo in Helston. Its has had a repaint since I last saw it.

It may have been out of service for some repairs though as it may have been this one, as it has the dinosaur rear advert.

http://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/1694496/video-bus-and-lorry-wedge-in-lane/

It's not withdrawn