• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can't see any point of going from Weston to Churchill (which is in the middle of nowhere). Maybe the A2 to Bristol Airport and then catch it from there? Or go to Bristol or Taunton and catch it from those places.

I caught it from Churchill. Not the best place as you say. Bridgwater (near the Services) might be the quickest way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
34049 & 34184 both on the 93/90 today and 34181 & 34162 on the 56.

New First Kernow branded bus stop flags appearing in Newquay and surrounding areas.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My first brief trip to Truro of the year this p.m. produced two sightings of Olympians. The ---38 one was on the 14 and the --82 one not very far behind it on a 200 college working. I swear that --38 one follows me around, but I never have a camera at the ready! Sorry, you'll have to fill the blanks in for the full numbers.

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 42875 with overall advert for a local radio station worked the 1055 "18" Truro to Camborne and 34041 was on service 1 from/to Lands End.

THarris123

Established Member
Dennis Dart Alexander 42472 (T472YTT) is currently on sale on eBay (with a bid) for £1195. Collection from Taunton.

Well it's only be sat there for 2-3 months and has built up some great rust. It's missing the front display too. So other than that and it being non DDA, it sounds like a great deal ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do we know when the summer timetables start in Kernow and where I can find them?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well it's only be sat there for 2-3 months and has built up some great rust. It's missing the front display too. So other than that and it being non DDA, it sounds like a great deal ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do we know when the summer timetables start in Kernow and where I can find them?

Summer timetables are always difficult to get hold of much in advance down here (sometimes, even when they've taken effect!) but, as far as the open-top 300 service and associated changes to the 1 and 17 group of routes is concerned, this may have settled to the late May Bank Holiday weekend now the 300 is no longer financially supported by the County Council.

THarris123

Established Member
Summer timetables are always difficult to get hold of much in advance down here (sometimes, even when they've taken effect!) but, as far as the open-top 300 service and associated changes to the 1 and 17 group of routes is concerned, this may have settled to the late May Bank Holiday weekend now the 300 is no longer financially supported by the County Council.

Right so what date are the other timetables usually changing? April/May?

83G/84D

Established Member
Some images from Thursday:-

Attachments

• DSC03025.jpg
    DSC03025.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03017.jpg
    DSC03017.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03021.jpg
    DSC03021.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03036.jpg
    DSC03036.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 54

83G/84D

Established Member
Some images from Friday:-

Attachments

• DSC03058.jpg
    DSC03058.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC03045.jpg
    DSC03045.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03056.jpg
    DSC03056.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 46

fgwrich

Established Member
Dennis Dart Alexander 42472 (T472YTT) is currently on sale on eBay (with a bid) for £1195. Collection from Taunton.

Came across this picture on Flickr of the 'Taunton Collection' of darts for sale. Shame to see the RNLI one going! I'd like to hope First continue to support the RNLI with another vehicle in some form of similar livery - or at least de-brand it if it go scrap bound!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68582...HLT-D6hLgS-DULsaa-E1FPw7-92zokn-AuoGDN-DMzGDD

Goldfish62

Established Member
34049 & 34184 both on the 93/90 today and 34181 & 34162 on the 56.

New First Kernow branded bus stop flags appearing in Newquay and surrounding areas.

Hmm - not sure about these flags. It would be useful to have the words "bus stop" on them at least.

83G/84D

Established Member
Good news, hopefully for preservation. Should that be 42471? 47471 is a Streetlite I think.

matt_splat

myself and a freind have brought 42471 which we collected today from Taunton and has been moved for storage.

i have a few pictures from the move which i will post at a later date :)

busconductors

Can't see any point of going from Weston to Churchill (which is in the middle of nowhere). Maybe the A2 to Bristol Airport and then catch it from there? Or go to Bristol or Taunton and catch it from those places.

Thank you for the advice. I did the journey yesterday. It took seven amd a half hours. I could have done it quicker but took a bit of a break at Bristol International Airport and Plymouth Royal Parade. As for price - about 15% the cost of a train ticket.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thank you for the advice. I did the journey yesterday. It took seven amd a half hours. I could have done it quicker but took a bit of a break at Bristol International Airport and Plymouth Royal Parade. As for price - about 15% the cost of a train ticket.

I've never travelled from Penzance to Bristol by train because of the unbelievable walk-on fares, never mind the paucity of direct trains these days.

co-tr-paul

I'm lucky as I travel free ! 4 direct morning services, the rest, change at Taunton. No problem..... .

O like the whole BoS identity and the bus stops play their part in that. Unsure of the dullness of our prototype version but anything local is better than corporate.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm lucky as I travel free ! 4 direct morning services, the rest, change at Taunton. No problem..... .

O like the whole BoS identity and the bus stops play their part in that. Unsure of the dullness of our prototype version but anything local is better than corporate.

Makes you wonder if the green BusKernow is likely to be rolled out.

Penwithian

myself and a freind have brought 42471 which we collected today from Taunton and has been moved for storage.

i have a few pictures from the move which i will post at a later date :)

That is great news. My wife and I have travelled on this bus many times and was also a favourite of our friend's 8 year old bus mad son!! :D

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Maybe we have a very logical plan but just don't want to share it in advance. Indeed all manner of plans greater than just painting a selection of the existing fleet.

Indeed, and attaching a few pieces of vinyl covered aluminium will hardly break the bank.

I have to say that the development of the Kernow operation over the last few years has been impressive especially. Whilst not a resident, I try to visit at least once a year and saw what was a declining and failing operation; over the last 2-3 years, it's been stabilised and developed whilst meeting the various PSVAR challenges.

I'm back down next week on holiday and look forward to seeing how the operation has changed again in the last year, and also look forward to seeing how things will develop in future years given what appears to be a good relationship with Cornwall Council and other stakeholders.

KendalKing

Established Member
Indeed, and attaching a few pieces of vinyl covered aluminium will hardly break the bank.

I have to say that the development of the Kernow operation over the last few years has been impressive especially. Whilst not a resident, I try to visit at least once a year and saw what was a declining and failing operation; over the last 2-3 years, it's been stabilised and developed whilst meeting the various PSVAR challenges.

I'm back down next week on holiday and look forward to seeing how the operation has changed again in the last year, and also look forward to seeing how things will develop in future years given what appears to be a good relationship with Cornwall Council and other stakeholders.
I would like to second this, I myself will be visiting Devon & Cornwall in June, and will be using a Devon & Cornwall Rail Rover, to get around the region.