• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
An Olympian, presumably 34138, was spotted at Pz Bus Station on the 17.40 1A departure tonight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Indeed, and attaching a few pieces of vinyl covered aluminium will hardly break the bank.

I have to say that the development of the Kernow operation over the last few years has been impressive especially. Whilst not a resident, I try to visit at least once a year and saw what was a declining and failing operation; over the last 2-3 years, it's been stabilised and developed whilst meeting the various PSVAR challenges.

I'm back down next week on holiday and look forward to seeing how the operation has changed again in the last year, and also look forward to seeing how things will develop in future years given what appears to be a good relationship with Cornwall Council and other stakeholders.

I can only agree with this. Reading about cuts in other areas including urban areas on this forum only reinforces my views that we have an excellent service for a rural area. Yes people moan, but just send them to other regions to see what a good service we have here,

Busaholic

Veteran Member
34138 was at Camborne late morning, 34041 was doing the 1 on Friday & Saturday.

In that case it was probably 34041 - I was in a car 200 yards away.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Finally managed to get a couple of photos half an hour ago of 34041 performing that same duty on the 1A - last journey of the day, left Pz bus station with one pensioner and one schoolkid on board! Should be a bit busier in the Easter holidays.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The VOSA Bus Service registrations for 15th March 2016 contain registrations by First South West for Services 2 (Penzance - Falmouth), 35 / 35A (Helston - Falmouth), 36 (Helston - Truro) and 39 (Camborne - Helston) which will all be timetable changes wef 07-May-2016.

Note that the registration of Service 35 / 35A does not include the section from Helston to The Lizard / St. Keverne / Coverack.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
The VOSA Bus Service registrations for 15th March 2016 contain registrations by First South West for Services 2 (Penzance - Falmouth), 35 / 35A (Helston - Falmouth), 36 (Helston - Truro) and 39 (Camborne - Helston) which will all be timetable changes wef 07-May-2016.

Note that the registration of Service 35 / 35A does not include the section from Helston to The Lizard / St. Keverne / Coverack.

Dave

35/35A doesn't do the above mentioned villages anyway.

36 does though, although I suspect due to distances involved it's split in 2 to avoid a tacho. A rough play on google maps suggests it may be over 50km.

Edit 36 is a split registration made up of the former 36 and 82 routes.
36 being st keverne/coverack to Helston and 82 being Helston to Truro until 2014 when the routes merged and became one.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member

36 does though, although I suspect due to distances involved it's split in 2 to avoid a tacho. A rough play on google maps suggests it may be over 50km.

36 being st keverne/coverack to Helston and 82 being Helston to Truro until 2014 when the routes merged and became one.
Ah ok thanks. Hadn't realised.

Dave

GBM

Penzance to Falmouth & Penzance to Truro via Helston are/were split runs with Helston being the 'break of journey'. Penzance drivers do the Falmouth run, and used to do the Truro one under the guise of a 2A then 82A, Unfortunately the bus was late into Helston, so late into Truro/Falmouth & later back to Penzance. A very long drive for one driver with only a few minutes turn around before returning to Penzance!

83G/84D

Established Member
Penzance to Falmouth & Penzance to Truro via Helston are/were split runs with Helston being the 'break of journey'. Penzance drivers do the Falmouth run, and used to do the Truro one under the guise of a 2A then 82A, Unfortunately the bus was late into Helston, so late into Truro/Falmouth & later back to Penzance. A very long drive for one driver with only a few minutes turn around before returning to Penzance!

Thanks and welcome to the discussion thread. :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
34041 forsook its Land's End duties today by being back on Truro schools service 200 this p.m. I suspect it was the same bus I saw about half an hour later, still in Truro, on the 216 to Mevagissey via Probus.

On my way back to Pz passed a broken-down Dart on the 18 at Canonstown with breakdown team in attendance (about 18.25)

83G/84D

Established Member
34177, 34162 & 34184 all at Camborne this morning. The latter two were on Truro College duties. Green coach 23324 present and Dart 42875 (with overall advert) on service 39.

34049 in Truro yesterday although I don't know what duties it was on.

richw

Veteran Member
34311 has been working college services from the East of the county all week. I've passed it between Chiverton and Carland Cross every day this week. That also means the students will have been late for college as barring Tuesday I haven't left Redruth until 0845.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A letter in the Cornish press this week:-
'' I was getting a bus from Victoria Square, Truro to Truro railway station and showed my disabled pass to the driver saying 'station please'. It was a no. 82 to Newquay, operated by First Kernow.
As we got out of the city, I realised that we had turned off Richmond Hill and so I called out 'does this go to the station?'.
One of the passengers noticed my RNIB symbol stick and called to the driver, who stopped the bus..
The driver got out of his cab and asked the other passengers 'Would you mind if I drop the bus back round and take this gentleman to the railway station?' ''
The outcome was that the passengers were happy, the driver did a good turn and the gentleman was grateful enough to pen this letter.

I say, well done that driver: initiative shown and saved the writer undue panic and heartache. I hope the company management would concur.

83G/84D

Established Member
34181 was seen on the westbound A30 between Redruth and Camborne yesterday at just after 1pm.

20502 and 20504 are now the dedicated training vehicles at Camborne.

Rail line between Par and Newquay closed this weekend due to engineering works, replacement bus service to / from St Austell.
20556 noted on rail replacement duties at St Austell earlier whilst Trident 32802 was being collected by a recovery truck.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
A few days ago I managed to view the non-runners at Camborne. Falling into this category are Solo 50276 & Dart 42511, both being stripped for spares before removal for disposal. Another Solo (W*** PAF) is also here although looking more intact. A couple of Tridents were also here recently for a period of time but have since moved on either for disposal or storage (at Summercourt).

I was told another Dart is in storage for spares either at Penzance or Truro but don't know which one.

A few days ago I managed to view the non-runners at Camborne. Falling into this category are Solo 50276 & Dart 42511, both being stripped for spares before removal for disposal. Another Solo (W*** PAF) is also here although looking more intact. A couple of Tridents were also here recently for a period of time but have since moved on either for disposal or storage (at Summercourt).

I was told another Dart is in storage for spares either at Penzance or Truro but don't know which one.

There is one Trident at Summercourt withdrawn and being used for parts, but she has been there for a while. No others are withdrawn.

There are two Solos retained for salvage, one at Summercourt, one at third party premises. Aside from that there are 3 single decks at Camborne awaiting collection for scrap, and about 10 at third party premises.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Does anyone know if Tridents 32751-755 will be getting a repaint in the near future? These are the X-BFJs (which I think might be DDA compliant), and the 52-reg East Lancs one.

I'm going to guess 32802 must be DDA-complaint, given it received Olympia livery late last year?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if Tridents 32751-755 will be getting a repaint in the near future? These are the X-BFJs (which I think might be DDA compliant), and the 52-reg East Lancs one.

I'm going to guess 32802 must be DDA-complaint, given it received Olympia livery late last year?

The X-BFJs won't be compliant unless they have been retrospectively certified since they were new. Most of the ex London Tridents (T - V reg, most wearing HIG plates) were certified when they had their 2nd door removed.

Anything Y reg or newer will have been certified from new. Anything older will need retrospective certification and possible adaptions. The X reg Darts in Taunton I believe are having modifications to re-enter service, but are currently out of service,

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The X-BFJs won't be compliant unless they have been retrospectively certified since they were new. Most of the ex London Tridents (T - V reg, most wearing HIG plates) were certified when they had their 2nd door removed.

Anything Y reg or newer will have been certified from new. Anything older will need retrospective certification and possible adaptions. The X reg Darts in Taunton I believe are having modifications to re-enter service, but are currently out of service,

I guess that people who have the official fleet list can confirm which Tridents are compliant. With the Marshall Darts, it was the case that some had been made compliant on leaving London but some not, depending on who had done the conversion. Does the same premise apply with Tridents?

richw

Veteran Member
I guess that people who have the official fleet list can confirm which Tridents are compliant. With the Marshall Darts, it was the case that some had been made compliant on leaving London but some not, depending on who had done the conversion. Does the same premise apply with Tridents?

Yes, I believe it's down to the converter. not all are compliant but the majority are. None of The ex Scotland ones are compliant

Edit- the ex Scotland ones are all in Somerset.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Yes, I believe it's down to the converter. not all are compliant but the majority are. None of The ex Scotland ones are compliant

Edit- the ex Scotland ones are all in Somerset.

So that should mean that Bildgwater get some newer deckers. I'm so going to be using 21/A more if that's the case :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So that should mean that Bildgwater get some newer deckers. I'm so going to be using 21/A more if that's the case :)

We'll have to wait and see what happens. If the frequency stays at 15 mins (or even 20 mins) then I doubt you'd need deckers at all. Remember that prior to it being extended to Weston, it was B7Ls 66350-6 & 60895. It's the holiday camps at Brean that demanded deckers

FSW Official

Only the 52 plate of the East Lancs ones - the rest are due for replacement.
We'll have to wait and see what happens. If the frequency stays at 15 mins (or even 20 mins) then I doubt you'd need deckers at all. Remember that prior to it being extended to Weston, it was B7Ls 66350-6 & 60895. It's the holiday camps at Brean that demanded deckers

It can be operated with singles.

THarris123

Established Member
Seen on Plymothian Transit reported that First have won the tender for 584/5. Despite Grahame's sterling efforts, some tat does get spouted on there so wondering how true this is?

Is that the Wadebridge service run by Stagecoach? If it is well done First. Well done indeed. When does the tender start?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is that the Wadebridge service run by Stagecoach? If it is well done First. Well done indeed. When does the tender start?

584 Wadebridge to Camelford and 595 Camelford to Bude (note: I've amended the number).

Would these be operated from Bodmin? Thanks for confirming FSW

PS Impressed with the Kernow fleet these last few days btw

Last edited: