• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
What's the Metrodecker going to be used on and how long is it in Kernow for?

Not saying it will be the case this time because I frankly don't know however the last few demonstration buses have not been used on normal services AFAIK.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm pleased to say that I haven't spotted any old numbers being displayed (as yet) so I assume the blinds reprogramming has been more successful this time.

Less successful are the continuing breakdowns and consequent missing journeys on the M6. Maybe three new slimline Solos SRs could be included in the hoped-for new single deck bus order. ;)

83G/84D

Established Member
Since it was recently repainted 53704 seems to spend an awful amount of time in Camborne depot!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Busaholic - printed summer timetables were available today at Camborne bus station. I picked one up this morning from a rapidly emptying box outside the office. Hopefully they are available elsewhere as well.

Very pleased to hear it. I know I was a bit splenetic about it, put it down to my (I hope temporary) restricted mobility and frustration with it, combined with having to restrict the painkillers, so 'grumpy old man' covers it.:)

83G/84D

Established Member
As no-one has done one for some time I thought I'd do a list of current colour schemes carried by First Kernow buses and coaches.

Feel free to correct and add to it as necessary as I may have missed something.

FIRST KERNOW COLOUR SCHEME LIST.
Urban.
Barbie.
“New” Green (as carried by a few Tridents, a Solo and a Dart).
Western Greyhound Green (53406).
Lime green (53205).
“Tinner” red.
“U1/ U2” blue.
Blue / cream (34138)
“Buses of Somerset” green.
“Coach” dark green (carried by coaches & Vario’s).
Yellow (school buses / training buses).
“Atlantic Coaster” Torquoise.
“Mousehole” pink / grey.
“GWR” chocolate & cream.
White (a few coaches).
Orange / Pink (ex Webbers Javelin).
“Eden” yellow (artics).
Ex “London” red (artic 11086).
“Truronian” silver (coaches 20557 & 20558).
“Newells Travel” blue (one coach).
“Heart radio” overall advert – mainly red (one Dart).
“Park & Ride” blue.
“Greyhound” – grey / blue.
"Truronian" blue - coaches.
"Stansted branded" - former Essex coaches

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
There are a few in later air coach, 08 plate stansted branded. I've seen between Penzance and Camborne with engineers driving

co-tr-paul

Now can we have that fleet list...... ??!!!
Finally got a go on one of the new ADL400s today thanks to Falmouth turning out WK66BYV on the first number 2 this morning. At last an interior with seats fit for purpose !! Ceiling fan a bit obtrusive and stop/start tech could be a pain later in life and not really nessesary on this route but i eagerly await the next batch of 20 so we can have them on a regular basis on the 2 ( and in green! ) . Coped well on the hills too.
Its a yes from me !

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
I'm not sure that the future MMC deliveries are for West Cornwall in fact I think it was mentioned that they are due for mid or east Cornwall.

I think you might be stuck with what you have got for a while longer!

83G/84D

Established Member
So that does not discount a route going over to MMC's and possibly a new route branding?

fgwrich

Established Member
But we do provisionally expect all the W Reg Volvos to leave normal service

Pleased to hear that - I had 30878 on the 90 last month and it wasn't the fastest of journeys, struggling up many of the hills including the A30 and arriving into Newquay a few minutes late. Not made comfortable by those urban park bench seats either.

Thanks FSW Official for the regular updates, looking forward to seeing this years improvements and fleet upgrades.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
So that does not discount a route going over to MMC's and possibly a new route branding?

Didn't FSW indicate that this was more general in line with Kernow green livery or am I getting the wrong end of the schtick?

Rightly and probably wrongly, I'd interpreted the Mid/East Cornwall to perhaps involve the 27 and the Truro to Newquay routes. However, I'll wait for the official word ;)

83G/84D

Established Member
Didn't FSW indicate that this was more general in line with Kernow green livery or am I getting the wrong end of the schtick?

Rightly and probably wrongly, I'd interpreted the Mid/East Cornwall to perhaps involve the 27 and the Truro to Newquay routes. However, I'll wait for the official word ;)

I guess we will have to wait and see, no reason though why other routes cannot get route branding and/or new MMC's.

THarris123

Established Member
No. The fleet will move around.

It's good to see some decent investment in Kernow. Strange how Kernow was always the dumping ground for the some of the oldest stock in First. By the end of the year, Kernow will have a better age profile than West of England potentially.

Those ex Manchester B7TLs are quite nice, all but the interior. I'm hopeful that the oldest of the Tridents will go too? Or is that too hopeful?

Last edited:

busconductors

Please, please, please, put comfortable buses on routes of more than one hour. Five weeks ago I spent many hours on buses between Bodmin and Truro and Bodmin and Plymouth, and I ended up with a knee ligament injury. The trouble is I am only a little bit above five foot tall and the front of seats tend to make the back of my knee sore. My knee is still not better and I am worried about venturing on a bus again. I am wondering if I should carry a stool with me for my feet. If First Kernow want to treble the time taken for journeys by visiting every single village on the way, the least they can do is give us comfortable buses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's good to see some decent investment in Kernow. Strange how Kernow was always the dumping ground for the some of the oldest stock in First. By the end of the year, Kernow will have a better age profile than West of England potentially.

Those ex Manchester B7TLs are quite nice, all but the interior. I'm hopeful that the oldest of the Tridents will go too? Or is that too hopeful?

The influx of new fleet is nothing other than amazing. I'd expected new fleet at some point of the 14/18 but singles. New deckers were more than I could've guessed at but I'd expected a quieter year; some singles but not new vehicles on this scale.

It's very welcome and testimony to the work that has been done to transform the business. Must remember that throughout its time, Cornwall has had a need for older deckers for a long time, often cascades from elsewhere whether that be Atlanteans in the mid 70s, DMS Fleetlines in the early 1980s, or VRs throughout the 80s and 90s. Lots of schools and college work in a challenging operating area make it a necessity but credit for the investment that's being made.

As for Bristol, we shall wait and see what Metrobus does or doesn't bring

richw

Veteran Member
Please, please, please, put comfortable buses on routes of more than one hour. Five weeks ago I spent many hours on buses between Bodmin and Truro and Bodmin and Plymouth, and I ended up with a knee ligament injury. The trouble is I am only a little bit above five foot tall and the front of seats tend to make the back of my knee sore. My knee is still not better and I am worried about venturing on a bus again. I am wondering if I should carry a stool with me for my feet. If First Kernow want to treble the time taken for journeys by visiting every single village on the way, the least they can do is give us comfortable buses.

I'd probably suggest directing your post and allegations of injury to first directly,

busconductors

I'd probably suggest directing your post and allegations of injury to first directly,

I have been following the discussion of new buses arriving and the discussion about the comfort or otherwise of seats. I just wanted to point out the need for the buses with the more comfortable seats to be on the longest routes. Whether they are being allocated following such criteria or not, I do not know. I have already brought up the subject of seat comfort on here previously and been told they are made according to average height. Complaining directly to First Kernow will not make any difference. Just how are the buses with the more comfortable seats being allocated?

richw

Veteran Member
I have been following the discussion of new buses arriving and the discussion about the comfort or otherwise of seats. I just wanted to point out the need for the buses with the more comfortable seats to be on the longest routes. Whether they are being allocated following such criteria or not, I do not know. I have already brought up the subject of seat comfort on here previously and been told they are made according to average height. Complaining directly to First Kernow will not make any difference. Just how are the buses with the more comfortable seats being allocated?

All suggestions on here and on first Kernow Facebook is that the 27 is part of the new order.
As a 6 footer the only buses I've had issue with leg room is the Ex jersey Darts.
I estimate I travel 500 miles a month on first Kernow buses so have sampled pretty much everything they have to offer. Be selective of your seats. The rear centre seat has several feet of leg room, the side ways seats have plenty too, and the emergency exit row has plenty.

83G/84D

Established Member
Tinner replacements this morning:-

Attachments

• DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01907.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC01910.jpg
    DSC01910.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 46

FSW Official

No, buses aren't allocated based on the type of seat. From a practical point the allocation needs to follow a list of other requirements - capacity of bus, size in relation to the physical constraints of the route, suitability of type to route, reliability, commercial return on investment and use.

The issue of seating is a more general point. All our buses have foamed seating - there are less comfortable versions in the marketplace.
As we continue to invest heavily in new fleet, and as we start to refurbish seating on vehicles (following the completion of the open tops) we will replace a significant number of our least comfortable buses with new, and upgrade existing fleet.
It doesn't follow that buses will be directly replaced route by route. As new buses are allocated to routes that meet a varied criteria for investment, other buses will be cascades around the network.