• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
New timetables from Monday are now online under the "forthcoming" tab. Basically winter services minus evenings.

With TfC running a full summer service including evenings it's a bit of an uncoordinated mess.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Last weekend the "tic tac" Gemini was on the A17, seen here at St Erth railway station on Sunday.IMG_5338rev.jpg

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Last weekend the "tic tac" Gemini was on the A17, seen here at St Erth railway station on Sunday.View attachment 78656
I think it's on the service virtually every day - anyone know what the scrolling message in the rear number box mean? It reads POLL followed by a t, then a six or seven figure number. I've happened to be behind the bus up Market Jew Street twice in recent days, including last Sunday by coincidence, and it was like that both times. Incidentally, I think that must be one of the most revolting liveries worn by a bus ever, and I've seen a few in seventy years!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think it's on the service virtually every day - anyone know what the scrolling message in the rear number box mean? It reads POLL followed by a t, then a six or seven figure number. I've happened to be behind the bus up Market Jew Street twice in recent days, including last Sunday by coincidence, and it was like that both times. Incidentally, I think that must be one of the most revolting liveries worn by a bus ever, and I've seen a few in seventy years!
Hopefully it'll look better once it receives its vinyls.

83G/84D

Established Member

I noticed that too. I think it has been reset at some point possibly when it transferred and when reprogrammed there's been a glitch that possibly hasn't been picked up or can't be fixed. At least it looks smarter than the ex Bristol route branded one's, some of the purple fronted one's look shabby.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I noticed that too. I think it has been reset at some point possibly when it transferred and when reprogrammed there's been a glitch that possibly hasn't been picked up or can't be fixed. At least it looks smarter than the ex Bristol route branded one's, some of the purple fronted one's look shabby.
The purple fronted ones just look plain drab.

83G/84D

Established Member
Ye that would be good, they must all be about to return to service, not sure if they will be needing all the lizard tridents but there is a lot of tourist around at the moment so they might start the new l1 but very unlikely or servicing before college, if they open for June 15th?

Trident's seen in Camborne today were 32756, 32758, 32761, 32762 & 33111. I didn't see 32757 that was there a day or two ago. Solo's 53504 & 53801 also here.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm glad you confirmed - after the first time I saw it I wondered whether I'd mistaken POLL for FULL which is quite possible with unclear digital lettering, but on the second occasion I was behind the bus for a good minute and there was no doubt of the word after it had come round for the sixth or seventh time!

Yarp1

The free bus travel that was to start next week has been put on hold for the time being. It wasnt decided until 17.30 thurs eve aparently

Goldfish62

Established Member
The free bus travel that was to start next week has been put on hold for the time being. It wasnt decided until 17.30 thurs eve aparently
I would actually hope it's been scrapped altogether. Just doesn't seem like a good use of funds which are supposed to reduce the cost of fares, not eliminate them altogether.

MB162435

Established Member
Firstbus have done quite a useful and informative video, about the 'new nomal' on their buses

MB162435

Established Member
Optare Solo SR 53254 is on U4 duties today, seen here on the 14:22 service from Falmouth Moor to Penzance

With the Tridents coming back, wonder where or if these will operate from tomorrow with double deckers being preferred by all operators

Attachments

• 2020-05-30_03-36-34.jpg
    2020-05-30_03-36-34.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 27

Yarp1

Optare Solo SR 53254 is on U4 duties today, seen here on the 14:22 service from Falmouth Moor to Penzance

With the Tridents coming back, wonder where or if these will operate from tomorrow with double deckers being preferred by all operators
Tridents are in sumnercourt and mainly lined up for the A5 but at moment they wont be out tomorrow (sun) but that could change

MB162435

Established Member
Tridents are in sumnercourt and mainly lined up for the A5 but at moment they wont be out tomorrow (sun) but that could change
Ah right, don't think Falmouth Depot has many additional journeys compared to Summercourt, plans do seem to be quite fluid in general these days

Busaholic

Veteran Member

That bus was on the U4 on Tuesday as well. Another s/d on the AI this p.m., an Atlantic Coaster one.

richw

Veteran Member
No Tridents returning to service at this time. Had the free fares gone live they’d have been required.
All fleet are in hot layover So to be ready as required.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Last weekend the "tic tac" Gemini was on the A17, seen here at St Erth railway station on Sunday.View attachment 78656
I know I mentioned it before, but the skirt panels on there look like they didn't receive much attention before the repaint.

I'm sure the colour scheme will be improved with the application of vinyls though,

richw

Veteran Member
2 E200MMC on A5 today. I don’t recall seeing these used on the A5 before so may well be a first (they’ve been on airport shorts but not full f
Route)

MB162435

Established Member
That bus was on the U4 on Tuesday as well. Another s/d on the AI this p.m., an Atlantic Coaster one.
Think SRs have been the most popular choice for the U4, guessing compared to most routes its not the most busiest, so a single I guess is justified, every Kernow bus I saw yesterday had only 1 person and TfCs Sprinters none, but that was after lunch on a Saturday

MB162435

Established Member
2 E200MMC on A5 today. I don’t recall seeing these used on the A5 before so may well be a first (they’ve been on airport shorts but not full f
Route)
44952 and 44954 according to the tracker, suppose both the TfC and Kernow singles result in the same capacity as pre-lockdown anyway

richw

Veteran Member
Think SRs have been the most popular choice for the U4, guessing compared to most routes its not the most busiest, so a single I guess is justified, every Kernow bus I saw yesterday had only 1 person and TfCs Sprinters none, but that was after lunch on a Saturday

The solos are more efficient too, so makes sense to save a few quid to use them where possible over a Gemini.

MB162435

Established Member
TFC using a decker on at least one A5 diagram today!
They've gone one step further and are using two today looking at the tracker, possibly expecting a few people out and about enjoying the seaside destinations today?

A few are also not going to realise Kernow are back running the A5 again, so will just get the 56

MB162435

Established Member
The solos are more efficient too, so makes sense to save a few quid to use them where possible over a Gemini.
I do personally prefer an SR to a Gemini, comfier seats and better passenger environment, USB, Next Stop announcements, they just lack the capacity when it gets busy

MrKnow

The solo’s still need to make back the investment made in them, no point having new buses parked up doing nothing.

MB162435

Established Member
Certainly not, helps keep the Lizard brand alive and in people's minds for when the L1 could return

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow have won all 17 of the Cornwall College routes from September, Marc announced on Twitter a minute ago