• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First lose contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
First seem to have lost quite a few contracts in Bristol, - they've already lost all of the 'stand alone' bus routes, now some of the 'council supported' services too :)

Service 4 Centre - Hanham
Mon-Sat evenings will be run by Eurotaxis

Service 5 Centre - Downend
Mon-Sat evenings will be run by Eurotaxis

Service 20 Rookery Farm - Westbury (my route!)
Sun services will be run by Eurotaxis

First are also consulting to increase the frequency on parts of Route 8/9 to every 5 mins, but reducing the frequency on other parts to every 20 mins.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonno2055

I think services are failing, for example the 72 service from braintree to chelmsford is cutting back it's late night and saturday services.

p.s. I hope Eurotaxis isn't actually a taxi. Well it wouldn't obviously otherwise they wouldn't get the contract and they do run taxi services but for bus services people might get the wrong impression.

Tom B

Established Member
My school bus is run by "Wilfreda Luxury Coaches", I tell you it is definately NOT a luxury coach (though it is one of the newest buses around, being just 7 years old). It is definately good to see First group lose contracts though :D!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't believe I'm saying this, but bring back First.
The bus was 12 mins late yesterday because the driver was frankly senile, and only knew the names of the fare stages. He just typed the price into his machine. He missed a turning and we had to do a U-turn in the road!!

Dennis

Established Member
I have been down Bristol today (enjoying a little bus bashing - the Plus Bus fare is excellent value) and saw a few of these Eurotaxi services. They are moving bus travel back twenty years - the link to the pic posted by Mojo is one of their better 'buses'. It is a long time such I have seen so much *rap out pretending to provide a public service. There was even some kind of 'disabled' minibus out in service - this had about eight seats, the rest being empty space in front of a disabled access at the rear. Plenty of room for standees I guess!

Jim

Established Member
It is stupid. I was with Dennis today & was shocked. I am surprised they are allowed to do it. Even firsts Dennis Darts were better! The buses are cra*, are the council mad. They chuck first off from there in hope of better things, what happens, small capacity shi* is on there!

andel

it also needs noting that I have successfully sued Eurotaxis in the past for failure of service ;)

Dennis

Established Member
andel said:
it also needs noting that I have successfully sued Eurotaxis in the past for failure of service ;)

was that for late / no buses or unsuitable vehicles?

I did not sample their services or know anything about the company so I am perhaps not in the best position to comment, but from the motley collection of vehicles it looked like they had desperately phoned around the dealers asking for the cheapest minibuses available and then bought themseves a roll of vinyls.

But let's not be too unkind and give them a chance; the drivers will be new to the routes and there may be contractual agreements in place to upgrade the vehicles; things can only get better (and it is only on a handful of routes).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It should also be noted that on the "northern" section of Route 20 (my part), you are never more than 300m away from a First served Bus stop :)

RJ

Established Member
Mojo said:
He missed a turning and we had to do a U-turn in the road!!

LOL. I was on a bus P4 to Brixton and reached a junction where there were two right turns. The driver was new, and chose the wrong one! When he realised, he tried to back into an estate, but he didn't see the bollard and managed to wrangle the rear of the bus in front of some bemused locals! Never saw him again.

Jonno2055

I remember when Network Witham first ran a bus to Braintree, the driver didn't know his way so I had to tell him how to get there.

Jim

Established Member
Mojo said:
He missed a turning and we had to do a U-turn in the road!!
Ever done rail replacment with a wilts & dorset bus, it would seem common practise unless I was at the navigating

TicketMan

Mojo said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but bring back First.
The bus was 12 mins late yesterday because the driver was frankly senile, and only knew the names of the fare stages. He just typed the price into his machine. He missed a turning and we had to do a U-turn in the road!!

Why should the driver know anything more than the names iof the fare stages? He may live miles away from the route he is driving...

My friend is a bus driver - he lives around 30 miles from his bus depot, which in turn is around 15 miles from the main town his services serve.

Sprog

Established Member
TicketMan said:
Why should the driver know anything more than the names iof the fare stages? He may live miles away from the route he is driving...

My friend is a bus driver - he lives around 30 miles from his bus depot, which in turn is around 15 miles from the main town his services serve.
Perhaps this 'senile' chap was GN?!! <D :lol: :lol:

Weve gotta pop over there one day TM and ride his bus over and over just to Pi$$ him off! :lol: 8-)

Sprog

Established Member
LOL :lol: :lol:

HAHA, thats a must then!!

When we gonan go over there then? <D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TicketMan said:

Because every stop has a name, and as part of the bus driver training in all of the major companies (First, Arriva, etc.) drivers should know the "official" names of stops as well as "unofficial" ones.

TicketMan

We aren't all lucky enough to work for such fine companies as First and Arriva though, are we;)

By the way, going off topic, I find your signature offensive and demorallising. We at Central Trains work damn hard to keep trains running, often in harsh operating conditions. I expected better from a 'Moderator'...

Met Driver

Established Member
TicketMan said:
By the way, going off topic, I find your signature offensive and demorallising. We at Central Trains work damn hard to keep trains running, often in harsh operating conditions. I expected better from a 'Moderator'...

I imagine the sig is directed at CT management rather than front line staff such as yourself (please forgive me if you consider the former to be equally offensive ;)). In any case, that's probably something to discuss with mojo by PM rather than in a bus thread. :D

Back on topic.... personally I couldn't care less which bus stop(s) the driver can/can't name - I get free bus travel in this neck of the woods, so I don't have to by a ticket! :D :D :D 8-)

Tom B

Established Member
It's pretty rubbish if staff can't name stops - if I were a professional programmer and didn't know what a string or an array was, I wouldn't be there for long. Why should a bus driver who doesn't know where his route goes stay in the employment of the company?

If you have an issue with someone's signature, why not PM them or PM a member of staff? Rather than trying to cause trouble.

TicketMan

Me? Cause trouble? As if ;)

I will certainly be PMing a member of staff - since I have had no response from Mojo - even by PM.

Central's record is nowhere near as bad as you kids make out - if you can do better, do your homework, pass your exams, and give it a go ;)

Anyway, back on topic, most (if not all) bus routes I use use bus stops as fare stages - so being able to name fare stages is no different to naming stops. Do you not think bus drivers have enough to do keeping their vehicle on the road, safely, and keeping to time as best they can about worrying about every possible permutation of a bus stop name?

Oh, by the way Seth, should your last sentence in this online English lesson not read "So I don't have to buy a ticket"?;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TicketMan said:
I will certainly be PMing a member of staff - since I have had no response from Mojo - even by PM.

If you had PMd me asking for a response then I'd have gladly given one.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My time is equally valuable ATM, and your comment was something that didn't require a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.