• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Manchester Wigan Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernrail

Hi all,
Before i start can i just point out that i really dont know much about buses, im just working through one of my little "Projects" to photograph things.

Ive been looking into First Manchester 10000, S111FML. ive heard its dumped at the back of the Wigan depot, has anyone got a location of the wigan depot and can it easily be photographed, does anyone else know what other buses are with it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

302PS

It's basically opposite Wigan pier and half covered and half uncovered, if you ask I'm sure they will oblige

Schnellzug

Established Member
Why are First Manchester scrapping that already when there's Darts that are just as old or older still ratting around around this way?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Why are First Manchester scrapping that already when there's Darts that are just as old or older still ratting around around this way?

...because First are good at buying new buses for "flagship" routes without thinking that these vehicles are intended to last fifteen/twenty years (and completely unsuitable for "secondary" routes).

So we end up with younger buses that are effectively redundant whilst older (step entrance) buses are still in everyday service.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "ftr" vehicles don't last in public service beyond ten years - fine for conceptual designers but there aren't a lot of "secondary" routes that an artic is suited for (tighter turns away from main roads etc).

(see also the "Borrismaster" in a few years time)

302PS

Is it definately at Wigan? The Volvo bendys were based at bolton

sonic2009

Established Member
I think all the bendies have been moved to leeds.

i thought First had bendies operating around the Manchester area on the Bury service, always seen them when going past on the tram around the Piccadilly Gardens area, where are these types based? .

jonesy3001

Established Member
I dont the know the fleet numbers its that complicated
(nothing like stagecoach that end with the reg numbers) that first started on the 135 then went to bolton for the 582 then got withdrawn have been stored at leeds, the scania bendies on the 135 are still bury based.

mbonwick

Established Member
First fleetnumbers are a mess. Beyond the first digit, which signifies type (eg. coach, mini/midi, double deck etc) there is no order to the system.

Unlike Stagecoach's, which is then broken down by vehicle model, in the First system you can be going through a load of Scania N94UDs (for example) and then come across a random B6LE in the middle!

Schnellzug

Established Member
First fleetnumbers are a mess. Beyond the first digit, which signifies type (eg. coach, mini/midi, double deck etc) there is no order to the system.

Unlike Stagecoach's, which is then broken down by vehicle model, in the First system you can be going through a load of Scania N94UDs (for example) and then come across a random B6LE in the middle!

They were allocated , I think, for the first areas that they were applied in strictly in order of age, but when other (e.g. Somerset & Avon) got around to it, they were allocated either matching the registration number or in farily consistent batches for new vehicles.

302PS

When they were local idents it was more in sync with reg numbers ie. R627 was "627" but when the national model came in it went tits

tbtc

Veteran Member

Likewise you can get the same batch of ex-London buses that have completely different numbers (depending on which garage they had moved to).

The Stagecoach system is much more logical, as you could have a decent stab at guessing what 12345 is, and know that it would be from the same batch at 12344 and 12346.

Working out allocations for First vehicles must be a nightmare for staff.

Can you imagine if British Rail had used a TOPS system that allocated numbers to depots, so that shunters in Bescot had a completely different number to shunters in Toton? Much easier to have a national number so that you know an 08 in one area is like an 08 in another area

northernrail

Another question, does anyone know if "10017" X401 CSG is still hovering around?....the list ive got says its based at Bury in service but ive never seen it let alone photographed it......

And "40409" P503 LND, my list says it is either a reserve vehicle or withdrawn, anyone know which it is? and is it based at Oldham like its sisters?

westcoaster

Established Member
Hi all,
Before i start can i just point out that i really dont know much about buses, im just working through one of my little "Projects" to photograph things.

Ive been looking into First Manchester 10000, S111FML. ive heard its dumped at the back of the Wigan depot, has anyone got a location of the wigan depot and can it easily be photographed, does anyone else know what other buses are with it?

This is from feb 27th, so 1 1/2 months ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20452054@N04/6939500859

It looks as if that photo was taken from the gates at the end of fairclough street, hope that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.