First Midland bluebird improvements

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by overthewater, 24 May 2016.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

The still a big question to be asked about the X3, and how long that will last.

I doubt Bannockburn depot is in danger of closing but the Balfron could if it doesn't watch it self.

All the school tenders I mention are within the Falkirk area, and are in the process of being tendered right now. If I remember correctly its only about 4 buses worth of worked interlinked with council contracts. No8, 13/A and F25.

Most of the school work is not interlinked. There does seem to be a fair bit of interest in these contracts

First got very very greedy, and 'm surprised it was even allowed since there undertaking where in place. You have to wonder maybe there did that so it could generate extra money to pay for Controls place it the company.

Blockhead really is an ejet with no business since. He should have sold something off to off set the undertakings

I say 0%

If anyone thinks we should nationalise the buses again, you just need to look at car crash which is FSE. The network was high regulated it was told what to operate, where and when even if the passengers no longer want that service. How does that benefit anyone, government would rather have of buses running to where it believe their should go instead of where people wanted them to go.

2. oldman

oldman Member

I think people tend to blame First rather than credit Lothian for the outcome in Mid/East Lothian. In my view Lothian played an aggressive game following the appointment of Neil Renilson in the late nineties.

As I recall First launched the bus war in response to Lothian upping the frequency on routes like Balerno and Musselburgh and Lothian did back off a bit as a result. For a while.

Lothian brought in flat fares and a single fare zone so for several years up to 2008 the fare for the core First markets like Penicuik - about 10 miles - was pegged at £1.00. That made it hard for First to make money with less local traffic within the city.

Of course the First problem of under-investment and uninspiring management made things worse, but the underlying fundamentals were difficult. By 2008 the writing was on the wall.

3. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

To be fair, whilst LRT is owned by the Council, FirstBus are a huge multinational operation who could have competed if it was about price. But it wasn't just about price, there was a huge quality, reliability and to an extent company loyalty.

Assuming that LRT pick up the slack (as happened with Dalkeith), passengers can look forward to a better quality service.

4. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

Cumbria seems to have bus cuts every other week!

5. overthewater

I'm hearing are now once again Transport Scotland are poking their noises in with this situation, and there could actually be a public enquire, because no one has seen this level of problems in one go.

How long did it take Lothian to announce its improved service?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    #####

I see once again the stupid MPs/MSP/cllr are opening there awful mouths about this issues, i wonder where this will stop.

Other news site:
    * http://www.itv.com/news/border/2016-05-25/scottish-borders-bus-routes-facing-axe/
    * http://www.itv.com/news/border/story/2016-05-25/scottish-borders-bus-journeys-facing-the-axe/

Last edited: 27 May 2016
  6. KendalKing

KendalKing Established Member

Sadly, there are now areas of Cumbria (and elsewhere) with-out a bus service.

A lot of people, are blaming bad management by Bus companies managers. Unfortunately, it not all down to the bus companies, some of it, is down to the British government!, After all, it was the British government, that introduced the driver CPC, which costed the companies a lot of money in re-training their drivers to the CPC standard, and the cut in the maximum length of a local bus route, which led to the lost of a number of long standing routes.

7. oldman

oldman Member

TS know fine well that the core routes will still be served more or less, by Lothian or whoever, and so they will want to take credit for helping to save the East Lothian routes. They probably know what is going to happen already. If they thought the services were going to disappear altogether, they would run a mile.

8. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

The CPC won't have been a massively significant factor in the context of the size of the expenses of most bus companies.

There has been no cut in the maximum length of a local bus route, what do you mean ?

9. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Established Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Suspect it was the 50km issue vs EU hours. To be fair, if they wanted to run through then they could've done by a number change and split regs, adopting EU, or simple split regs. However, many went simply because it is easier to operate shorter services and, more recently, to obtain more ENCTS funds.

It is the poor ENCTS funding, lack of hypothecation and the austerity policy of this government that is the nub of it, not market failure or evil companies.

10. Robertj21a

Yes, I guessed that it might be the 50km issues but, as you say, there were always legal methods to continue much as before. Nobody has stopped operators from running routes of any length they wish.

11. KendalKing

KendalKing Established Member

I can assure you that a lot of smaller companies, including the one, which I was a Transport Manager at, that the cost of re-training drivers out weighed the cost of the profits, so the directors simply decided to closed the company down.

12. Volvodart

Volvodart Member

I find this hard to believe, as the links to the CMA enquiry that you were forever posting said the following:-

Last edited: 28 May 2016
  13. Robertj21a

Fair enough, though it must have been a relatively small operation, or at least one that was already struggling to make much of a profit.

14. ChrisPJ

ChrisPJ Member

They have a right to because they see a problem. If the routes were as unprofitable as all that, why would lothian or anybody else simply step in?

15. overthewater

I like it when a group of people who partly cause the problem complain about the aftermath and demand action to improve it. :lol:

Lothian has already stepped in since it compete with service X8. All that needs to be covered is North berwick route, school works, and the X6, which perryman could cover buy adding in two extra buses.

16. enrag2000

enrag2000 Member

So the solutions to these problems can be resolved by Lothian and Perrymans.

Proposals may be sent to Mr I Craig (recent Chief Executive, Transport for Edinburgh) and to Mr I Craig, major shareholder parent company of Perrymans. Only one envelope required!

17. overthewater

It seems no official announcement about any replacements should appear until next week, since the consultation about First proposals are being dealt with. Hopeful Lothian will make an announcement early on.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    ##

I forgot to say, hopeful others have seen this post else where about the users using the new border line. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2580688&postcount=1824

18. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Grandfather rights for 5 years, then sit in a classroom for 5 days playing with your phone for another 5 years. It's negligible in cost terms.

It didn't, they just run them with sham "connections" to get round it.

The cause of bus cuts in recent years has largely been:-

1. Fuel prices.

2. The poorly-funded concessionary free travel scheme, which increases operating costs (larger vehicles required without sufficient reimbursement).

3. Subsidy cuts by local authorities.

19. overthewater

That's the consultation period over so we should get some notification from First if all the proposals are going ahead. Its also hopeful Lothian will also be making an announcement this week aswell.

If case you don't know the Scottish Traffic office works a bit differently to the rest of the UK. This was changed again around April. It still 70 days but the number of days were transferred from Vosa to informing the councils.

http://www.transport.gov.scot/webform/consultation-changes-bus-registration-scotland

Back to the topic:

There was a question about this at First Minters Q: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/sp/?id=2016-06-02.2.0

Here are some stupid people, I bet there also wanted the train line back? Eat their cake?
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/first-bus-cuts-scottish-borders?bucket=

Just a shame alot of HOT air is being pushed about from those not in the know. nearly everyone know about those Sorn Green buses sitting in Lothian depot just waiting for this to happen.

20. overthewater

#######

Has anyone heard anything? for causing such a stink 3 weeks ago its seem to have been swept under the carpet.