• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunsBus

Established Member
#######

Has anyone heard anything? for causing such a stink 3 weeks ago its seem to have been swept under the carpet.

Keeping an eye on the VOSA website over the next few weeks would be the best bet. The four-week consultation period over the planned closures is up at the start of next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Just a shame alot of HOT air is being pushed about from those not in the know. nearly everyone know about those Sorn Green buses sitting in Lothian depot just waiting for this to happen.

All five of them...

There aren't loads of buses sitting in storage like there were last time - I can only think of those five and a handful of 04 plate Volvo single decks. Everything else is either in service or already sold and gone.

overthewater

Established Member
Keeping an eye on the VOSA website over the next few weeks would be the best bet. The four-week consultation period over the planned closures is up at the start of next week.

You would think Lothian would want to make more fan fare about any improvements it plans to make.

All five of them...

There aren't loads of buses sitting in storage like there were last time - I can only think of those five and a handful of 04 plate Volvo single decks. Everything else is either in service or already sold and gone.

Five is just enough to cover NB ;)

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You would think Lothian would want to make more fan fare about any improvements it plans to make.

Perhaps there's a couple of things...

• They haven't finalised what they are going to do yet (if anything)
  • They wouldn't announce more than a month in advance - perhaps closer to the time to maximise the "fanfare"

I'm sure that it'll come out in due course and in good time and then this thread and the accompanying one in Bus and Coach Forum will be aflame with the usual level of insight

overthewater

Established Member
The Consultation has been extended, it would seem other changes are on the cards but nothing is been sorted yet ( of course)

smtglasgow

Good chance that First will pick up some of the emergency tenders. Don't think there are that many indies able to step in - although budget cuts will probably limit what Falkirk and Stirling Councils can replace.

overthewater

Established Member
Good chance that First will pick up some of the emergency tenders. Don't think there are that many indies able to step in - although budget cuts will probably limit what Falkirk and Stirling Councils can replace.

There wont be ANY emergency tenders. Falkirk council are at this moment actually re-tending its council network, while Stirling want care since mackies and that company in Denny will provide cover.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
######

At long last something Might be happening. It would seem Lothian have brought three secondhand buses for its fleet. Why buy more spare single deckers when you already have a few sitting idol in the depot....

There are ex Arriva: like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/cuthbus/14631993194/

Further details if you so wish to look this is up: On Facebook: Edinburgh's Trams and Buses

DunsBus

Established Member
There wont be ANY emergency tenders. Falkirk council are at this moment actually re-tending its council network, while Stirling want care since mackies and that company in Denny will provide cover.
######

At long last something Might be happening. It would seem Lothian have brought three secondhand buses for its fleet. Why buy more spare single deckers when you already have a few sitting idol in the depot....

There are ex Arriva: like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/cuthbus/14631993194/

Further details if you so wish to look this is up: On Facebook: Edinburgh's Trams and Buses

Simple answer is that, if Lothian are taking on some of the work being given up by FSE in August, 195-199 on their own won't be enough to meet the requirements. Even if Lothian were to place an order for new buses now, there'd be no chance of getting the order built and delivered in the space of seven weeks.

These vehicles are available now given the timescale and will, knowing Lothian, be refurbished prior to taking to the road. Being Wright-bodied B7RLEs they will also fit in well with the existing single-deck fleet.

DunsBus

Established Member
Stories I've been hearing suggest that LCB will take on the 124, with the 106 being taken over jointly by Perryman's and Prentice's. Don't quote me on that, though.

AngusH

I note that one of the buses in the picture is shown with North Berwick as the destination although numbered 127.

(Red herring or future plan?)

overthewater

Established Member
Stories I've been hearing suggest that LCB will take on the 124, with the 106 being taken over jointly by Perryman's and Prentice's. Don't quote me on that, though.

That would still leave bottom end of Haddington to be filled, maybe the 108 will be extended. Lohtians would be fools not to have Fast bus.

Established Member
I note that one of the buses in the picture is shown with North Berwick as the destination although numbered 127.

(Red herring or future plan?)

I wouldn't read too much into that - it's probably just someone testing the screens to make sure the new numbers and destinations are working.

overthewater

Established Member
Come on, admint it your all been waiting for this:

PM1050765/9
L OTHIAN COUNTRY BUSES LIMITED
Service Number(s) 107
Start Point Dunbar
Finish Point Edinburgh
Via East Linton, Haddington, A1, The Jewel, Meadowbank
Service Type Limited Stop
Date Received 01-JUL-2016
Effective Date 14-AUG-2016
End Date -
TAOs covered by route Scotland
Local Authorities covered by route East Lothian Council<BR>The City of Edinburgh Council

PM1050765/11
LOTHIAN COUNTRY BUSES LIMITED
Service Number(s) 124 (125, 126, 127)
Start Point Musselburgh, Seaton East, Longnidry, Aberlady or Gullane
Finish Point North Berwick High School or Preston Lodge High School
Via Prestonpans, Longniddry, Aberlady, Dirleton
Service Type Normal Stopping
End Date -
Local Authorities covered by route East Lothian Council

PM1050765/10
Operator Name LOTHIAN COUNTRY BUSES LIMITED
Service Number(s) 124 (X24)
Start Point North Berwick Tesco
Finish Point Edinburgh Semple Street
Via Dirleton, Gullane, Aberlady, Longniddry, Prestonpans, Musselburgh, Portobello, Meadowbank
Service Type Normal Stopping
End Date -
Local Authorities covered by route East Lothian Council<BR>The City of Edinburgh Council

Thanks should go to Volvodart. ;)

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
http://lothianbuses.com/news/article/rescue-package-to-save-key-east-lothian-bus-services

East Coast Buses to operate from 14 August

Threatened bus service provision in East Lothian is set to continue following a rescue package put together by East Coast Buses Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lothian Buses Ltd.

Earlier this year First Scotland East Ltd announced it was to close its operations and withdraw services from 14 August 2016. An agreement has been reached which will see East Coast Buses Ltd purchase the company’s Musselburgh and North Berwick properties with all staff having the opportunity to be transferred over to East Coast Buses Ltd under TUPE.

East Coast Buses will be making significant investment to improve services, including refurbishment works to Musselburgh garage, increasing the number of vehicles and deploying a new fleet of vehicles.

Richard Hall, Managing Director of Lothian Buses, said:

This deal will protect key bus services and jobs but the benefits go much further than that. The residents, workers and businesses of East Lothian rely on buses for their daily lives and well-being. We are pleased to be in a position to take on and continue providing these vital services and be part of the local economy.

Paul McGowan, Managing Director First Scotland East Ltd commented:

Throughout our consultation into the future of bus services in East Lothian, our priority was to safeguard jobs and protect key services. I am therefore pleased that we have achieved that through the proposed sale to Lothian Buses.

I’d like to thank all my colleagues in East Lothian for their hard work and loyalty over the years. We will be fully supporting them as they transfer to their new employer.

We are proud to have served the East Lothian community and would like to thank passengers for travelling with First Scotland East over the years.

I can assure our customers that we will continue to run services as normal up to and including 13th August and will ensure a smooth transition.

Minister for Transport and Islands; Humza Yousaf added:

The announcement Lothian Buses are acquiring First’s operations in East Lothian is welcome news for the communities who have expressed their desire to see these vital bus services maintained.

“Importantly, this also safeguards jobs at the Musselburgh and North Berwick depots and is an excellent outcome from the constructive and open approach taken by both companies and the Council in dealing with this matter.

I look forward to hearing how Lothian Buses works in partnership with the relevant local authorities to make a success of its new services.

Councillor Michael Veitch, Transport convenor for East Lothian Council, said:

“This should not only secure the future of the Dunbar and North Berwick corridors currently served by First, but will go further in creating an entirely new operation dedicated to serving our county. An integral part of this is the planned retention of the North Berwick and Musselburgh depots and their staff which is hugely welcome. This is a hugely significant development for East Lothian and secures vastly improved public transport provision for local people in the future.”

East Coast Buses Ltd will introduce the following services from 14 Aug 2016:

107 - A new 60 minute timetable introduced 7 days a week (30 minute Mon-Fri peak). Buses run West End, Meadowbank, The Jewel, A1, Haddington and East Linton to Dunbar. This part-replaces First Service X6/106.
124/X24 – A new 30 minute timetable introduced Monday to Saturday and 60 minute on Sundays. Buses run Semple Street, Meadowbank, Portobello, Musselburgh, Prestonpans, Longniddry, Aberlady, Gullane and Dirleton to North Berwick. Three morning and afternoon buses will run Limited Stop as X24. This part-replaces First Bus 124/X24.
We will continue with the following commercial and school services:
124 – 1x morning and 1x afternoon journey between Longniddry and Preston Lodge HS.
125 – 2x morning and 2x afternoon journeys between Musselburgh and North Berwick HS.
126 – 1x morning and 1x afternoon journey between Aberlady and North Berwick HS.
127 – 1x morning and 1x afternoon journey between Longniddry and North Berwick HS.
A comprehensive marketing and communications plan will be put in place to prepare the new services for operation, including roadshows within the local communities. This work will be done in close co-operation with East Lothian Council.

enrag2000

Lothian Country Buses Limited has been renamed East Coast Buses Limited with effect from 27th June 2016.

oldman

They seem to like changing names - East Lothian Buses becomes Lothian Country Buses becomes East Coast Buses. I wonder why they want to distance themselves from the Lothian brand.

And why headline your new network as a 'rescue package' - it sounds negative. 'It's not very good but hey it's better than nothing' is an odd marketing message.

enrag2000

They seem to like changing names - East Lothian Buses becomes Lothian Country Buses becomes East Coast Buses. I wonder why they want to distance themselves from the Lothian brand.

And why headline your new network as a 'rescue package' - it sounds negative. 'It's not very good but hey it's better than nothing' is an odd marketing message.

I wondered if the change was to claim the East Coast name before Perryman's (now owned by West Coast) do so?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The sinic in me thinks name changes, rescue packages and the like are maybe to protect the reputation of the main Lothian brand in the event of somewhat major scaling backs in the future if opperations dont work? After all we have been told by First that these opps have been unviable for years and have seen many changes to iether try to make it so, or at the very minimum keep losses down to a minimum.

The fact no direct replacement for the 108 has been announced says to me that its viewed as a loss leader and that the only chances theyr taking are with NB and Dunbar and despite offering tupe and buying depots etc
they will cut back services if its found that first Wernt talking out their backsides about how bad things were which I find unlikely. I assume none of the existing First fleat is transfering?

ChrisPJ

Having seen the "latest" Lothian livery I can't help wondering if those secondhand Wrights will be blown over in late 80s Eastern Scottish livery.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The sinic in me thinks name changes, rescue packages and the like are maybe to protect the reputation of the main Lothian brand in the event of somewhat major scaling backs in the future if opperations dont work? After all we have been told by First that these opps have been unviable for years and have seen many changes to iether try to make it so, or at the very minimum keep losses down to a minimum.

The fact no direct replacement for the 108 has been announced says to me that its viewed as a loss leader and that the only chances theyr taking are with NB and Dunbar and despite offering tupe and buying depots etc
they will cut back services if its found that first Wernt talking out their backsides about how bad things were which I find unlikely. I assume none of the existing First fleat is transfering?

Perhaps the different entity is to segregate the two operations so that the drivers don't end up on Lothian TCEs that I suspect are more lucrative?

oldman

After all we have been told by First that these opps have been unviable for years and have seen many changes to iether try to make it so, or at the very minimum keep losses down to a minimum

As it's an amicable transfer, FSE should be able to tell them what traffic there is so it shouldn't be a big risk. In fact by not keeping the Haddington routes they are cutting back quite a lot - for the core services from about 20 to 12 PVR according the back of my fag packet.

I suspect we are not being told the whole story.

overthewater

Established Member
As it's an amicable transfer, FSE should be able to tell them what traffic there is so it shouldn't be a big risk. In fact by not keeping the Haddington routes they are cutting back quite a lot - for the core services from about 20 to 12 PVR according the back of my fag packet.

I suspect we are not being told the whole story.

Its believe this deal was one of the deals which were suppose to have happened in 2012, but it fell apart, it seems First wanted to much money. I know what you lot are thinking.

Maybe First just wanted to do a job lot, since this sell off could cost pennies but it will mean first don't have to pay off drivers and other employees, It also doesn't have to deal with closing down two depots and trying to sell them off to new buyers. I wonder how much First has saved buy just given/selling Lothian the depots? Payoff would run in to ££££

Of course Lothian knows its a buyers market and has First over a barrel.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Its believe this deal was one of the deals which were suppose to have happened in 2012, but it fell apart, it seems First wanted to much money. I know what you lot are thinking.

Really?

There was the "dodgy dossier" that had a number of operations that were "in the firing line" and that wasn't one of them.

Also, First had the various obligations and covenants on them so highly unlikely that they would've been able to divest. Once those obligations have been lifted, guess what happens....

If someone told you that, I think they've been guessing!

DunsBus

Established Member
Really?

There was the "dodgy dossier" that had a number of operations that were "in the firing line" and that wasn't one of them.

Also, First had the various obligations and covenants on them so highly unlikely that they would've been able to divest. Once those obligations have been lifted, guess what happens....

If someone told you that, I think they've been guessing!

Had it not been for the covenants, I suspect Dalkeith, Musselburgh and North Berwick depots would have all gone in 2012. As we know, Dalkeith did close then, while operations out of Musselburgh were scaled down.

I believe the deal to sell Musselburgh and North Berwick depots to Lothian was actually concluded some time ago but couldn't go ahead until First was released from the covenants.
I wondered if the change was to claim the East Coast name before Perryman's (now owned by West Coast) do so?

One thing which came to mind is that West Coast Motors may have had an eye on potential developments in East Lothian when they took over Perryman's. I wonder how they will react to the news that Lothian have more or less won the lot.

overthewater

Established Member
If perryman wanted to expand it should have been quicker. There have nearly 5 weeks to say "Oh look our 253 getting improved" Most likely there eyeing up the Borders.
#####

It looks like the Falkirk and Stirling changes are going ahead a week later on 22 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.