• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
West Lothian is clearly under attack and it will now become a real battle to see who can win over the passengers. The bigger question has to be Stirling, that's in a right mess. Of course Mackie's is on life support right now. It make wonder what would happen if Stagecoach brought the bus service? Or upped its 8 and extend the 4 to operate every 30mins between Stirling and Clackmannan? It's going to be an interesting six months.

Surreyman

West Lothian is clearly under attack and it will now become a real battle to see who can win over the passengers. The bigger question has to be Stirling, that's in a right mess. Of course Mackie's is on life support right now. It make wonder what would happen if Stagecoach brought the bus service? Or upped its 8 and extend the 4 to operate every 30mins between Stirling and Clackmannan? It's going to be an interesting six months.
Mackies on life support? Can you say more?
One thing that's always puzzled me about Stirling is the small sub - depot at Balfron - does this survive on SPT contracts?
Would love to see Stagecoach takeover Stirling but would CMA allow it and more to the point, would S/C want it?

overthewater

Established Member
One thing that's always puzzled me about Stirling is the small sub - depot at Balfron - does this survive on SPT contracts?
Would love to see Stagecoach takeover Stirling but would CMA allow it and more to the point, would S/C want it?

The owner of Mackies must be what, nearly 70? the routes just operate... like meh. The timetable hasn't really changed in years, it just ticking over. The whole area has changed but Mackies hasn't. The fleet is nothing to shout about either, I think the youngest is 6 years? with 14 year stock will in use. I think the company has 16 plate bus, but I've not seen in ages.? It needs a good kick up the back side. I think he want out sooner rather than later.

Balfron is strange one, must do ( there is no SPT contracts, its all Stirling council contracts ;) there is seven school contracts C11 is also council while the B10 and B12 are commercial during the day.

The thing with stirling is it would have plenty of competition to keep the CMA happy: Mackies, the two Denny companies and John Ferguson. and of course First will would still control No38 and F16...

Journeyman

Established Member

Given how penny-pinching First have been, and how much they've contracted over the past few years, it amazes me that Balfron is still going - especially as it seems to operate largely-empty double deckers on routes in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps they've forgotten it's still there.

Sybic26

The double deckers at Balfron are used on school contracts to Balfron High School. Midland operate seven school contracts to that school.

Journeyman

Established Member
The double deckers at Balfron are used on school contracts to Balfron High School. Midland operate seven school contracts to that school.

They can't be economical on the other stuff in the area, though.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Given how penny-pinching First have been, and how much they've contracted over the past few years, it amazes me that Balfron is still going - especially as it seems to operate largely-empty double deckers on routes in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps they've forgotten it's still there.

Been about five years since I ventured to Balfron and not exactly a place I've been to very often. My impression was that you had one major route to Glasgow that did a reasonable trade especially from Milngavie south. Single decks were fine though in peak (and with the odd schools), it needed deckers. You had secondary services to Stirling that probably washed their face as well. However, the school services also contribute nicely. That interdependence All in all, that probably justified its existence especially given the fairly sizeable dead mileage otherwise.

However, it is a real survivor seemingly from another simpler era

overthewater

Established Member
B12 to Stirling has been cut back around 18 months ago to become every 2 hours, instead of hourly, so the service to Stirling isn't on good health. Maybe if the traffic around stirling was a bit better it could be pushed up to every 90mins while still using the one bus.

smtglasgow

Balfron really is a survivor. The schools work obviously keeps things ticking over, but the Glasgow run seems to do well. There are a lot of students from the area plus a good trade from the wealthy (by Scottish standards) Milngavie/Killearn area to the various private schools off Great Western Rd.

route101

Established Member
Notice the Glasgow to Balfron service is mostly deckers , scanias i think 05 plate . Always found it confusing the Balfron area tmetable , loads of service numbers but most are school journeys or very in frequent

alphabravo43

Notice the Glasgow to Balfron service is mostly deckers , scanias i think 05 plate . Always found it confusing the Balfron area tmetable , loads of service numbers but most are school journeys or very in frequent
Coming from Balfron, the whole thing is a bit of a mess from what it was, there is obviously big competition from cars these days and the services just can’t compete, especially on journey time with the Glasgow route diverting through the Kessington estate just before reaching Glasgow as a favour to First Glasgow so they could withdraw their service does no favours if you’re coming all the way in from Balfron. The cuts to Stirling recently are frustrating for some local residents, especially as no late or Sunday service. We lost the 13 service to Balloch/Alexandria a couple of years ago as well. The schools journeys are a lifeline for the depot but also some residents as Balfron being the central village, they operate as commercial services so some people do use them as well.
As in every argument on here, the services have been cut due to the lack of use but would probably be used more if it was more regular and stock was upgraded. The recent route branding will hopefully draw tourists to the good scenic views you get from the top deck of the deckers as you head out of Glasgow towards the Campsies. I’d always describe the situation in Balfron as a microcosm for First policy as a whole.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Coming from Balfron, the whole thing is a bit of a mess from what it was, there is obviously big competition from cars these days and the services just can’t compete. The cuts to Stirling recently are frustrating for some local residents, especially as no late or Sunday service. We lost the 13 service to Balloch/Alexandria a couple of years ago as well. The schools journeys are a lifeline for the depot but also some residents as Balfron being the central village, they operate as commercial services so some people do use them as well.
As in every argument on here, the services have been cut due to the lack of use but would probably be used more if it was more regular and stock was upgraded. The recent route branding will hopefully draw tourists to the good scenic views you get from the top deck of the deckers as you head out of Glasgow towards the Campsies. I’d always describe the situation in Balfron as a microcosm for First policy as a whole.

Forgot about the 13 . There was through buses to Aberfoyle too . Now connections

overthewater

Established Member
SPT paid for the no13, Im sure first lost it and it went to Mccolls? but there route was dead by then.

alphabravo43

SPT paid for the no13, Im sure first lost it and it went to Mccolls? but there route was dead by then.
From what I remember it was a dual SPT/Stirling tender as was the 309 to Balmaha. I think the 13 was always a Midland Bluebird/First service but McColl’s did have the 313 school working for a wee while. The 309 did pass McColl’s to McGill’s to Garelochead Coaches now. I believe there used to be Stirling service connections/diversions to Drymen to cover the withdrawal of the 13 but how frequent or existing they are now I’m not so sure.

overthewater

Established Member
Cheers. It's a shame the link gone even in the summer. What happened to that bike bus.

overthewater

Established Member
First has now cut its Livingston area Off peak day ticket to £4, mind you it only £4.50 on the bus at all times.

overthewater

Established Member
Well its not going well for Falkirk, mind you those deckers were fit for the dump ( school deckers)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...k.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

A double decker bus burst into flames today in the village of Allandale near Falkirk .

Scottish Fire and Rescue were alerted around 8.05pm to a bus in flames on Seabeggs Road which runs between Allandale and Bonnybridge.

1_IMG_5550.jpg

The bus caught fire close to residential properties in Allandale, Falkirk (Image: Graeme Bell)
Pictures show the blaze engulfing the double decker bus before the fire brigade arrived.

Fire fighters were on the scene for around an hour extinguishing the fire.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed there were no injuries during the incident.

First Bus have been contacted for a comment.

1_IMG_5555.jpg

Flames engulfed the double decker First Bus in Allandale near Falkirk (Image: Graeme Bell)

1_IMG_5553.jpg

Firefighters were on the scene for around an hour (Image: Graeme Bell)

alexf380

Established Member
That'll be the second of that batch of Tridents that has gone up in flames in the last 5 years. 33140 burnt out near Musselburgh a few years back, and now what looks like 33135 has followed suit. Good to hear of no injuries though.

I was on 33135 on an X37 round about the back of 2 this afternoon aswell, it did smell of fumes, take it this happened on the later journeys that now terminate at Allandale

Gingerbus1991

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/consultation-changes-stirling-area-bus-12973946

It never fails to amuse me how they call the stirling changes “an improvement”..Eh?
Cutting services here and there yet not seriously taking in to consideration if the local area and its changes, such as its clinic moving.

Its almost as if First Bus all over scotland are saying **** You we will take as much money as we can from you, give you very little back, and when your bled dry and everyone has lost faith in bus transport we’ll simply pull out and leave those who need the bus for ****!

Useless company, the government should take back control before its too late!

Journeyman

Established Member
Its almost as if First Bus all over scotland are saying **** You we will take as much money as we can from you, give you very little back, and when your bled dry and everyone has lost faith in bus transport we’ll simply pull out and leave those who need the bus for ****!

This is a pretty accurate reflection of most peoples' opinion of First in West Lothian - you use them if you have to, but you're aware you're getting fleeced, and they'll dump you like a hot brick the second anything dents the profit margins.

overthewater

Established Member
This is a pretty accurate reflection of most peoples' opinion of First in West Lothian - you use them if you have to, but you're aware you're getting fleeced, and they'll dump you like a hot brick the second anything dents the profit margins.

YET Lothian Country has higher day and weekly fares. and in fact First are charging the going rate... People can't have their cake and eat here, Either First are fleeced people thus Lothian are doing the same, or Lothian are just chancing there luck....

Gingerbus1991

YET Lothian Country has higher day and weekly fares. and in fact First are charging the going rate... People can't have their cake and eat here, Either First are fleeced people thus Lothian are doing the same, or Lothian are just chancing there luck....
Lothian have had success with a gaining a good reputation throughout edinburgh but perhaps that isn’t enough for other areas, lothian are gonna have to learn the hard way that sheer reputation cant afford you passengers where they have already been lossed to car use, typically car use can still be cheaper than buses nowadays especially if the cars being used on one tank of fuel for dropping the partner off to work then the kids to school even if that car is an older one it can still do the job.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Lothian have had success with a gaining a good reputation throughout edinburgh but perhaps that isn’t enough for other areas, lothian are gonna have to learn the hard way that sheer reputation cant afford you passengers where they have already been lossed to car use, typically car use can still be cheaper than buses nowadays especially if the cars being used on one tank of fuel for dropping the partner off to work then the kids to school even if that car is an older one it can still do the job.

People have already made it clear to Lothian, its fare are crap and there will still drive to the P&R sites, so why would there care? there still getting their business. While the other communter are staying with First because of the price.... There is still two markets in to Edinburgh which are dominated by the car so LCB will have its work cut out clawing them back.

In other news Stirling changes are now out, https://www.firstgroup.com/south-east-and-central-scotland/stirling-network-changes

From Monday 10th September Stirling and Clackmannanshire Service Changes will come into effect. We want to make sure you're prepared for these changes before travelling with us so this page will be updated with all the information.

New timetables will be uploaded w/c August 27th.

Services not listed below will continue to operate unchanged and these timetables can be found here.

Service

Route and details of proposed changes

X36

Replaces service X39 with frequency increased to every 30 minutes.
New faster route between Cumbernauld and Glasgow direct via M80 Motorway.
Later journeys introduced on Mondays to Saturdays.
Service X36/X37 combine to offer 4 buses per hour between Cumbernauld and Glasgow

New service X36 route – Stirling (Bus Station) – Whins of Milton - Denny Cross – Braes View – Dennyloanhead – Haggs - M80 – Cumbernauld Village – Cumbernauld Town Centre – M80 Motorway – Glasgow.

No further changes – Improved evening frequency was introduced between Stirling and Falkirk on 20 August.

51 52

NEW SERVICE:
Replaces service 54/54A between Stirling and Cowie.
Replaces service 62/63 between Stirling and Hillfoots.
New cross city links from Cowie, Whins of Milton and Braehead to Causewayhead, Tullibody and Alloa.

Earlier journeys from Cowie to Stirling.

Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes on each route.

New service 51 route – Cowie – Bannockburn – Whins of Milton – Broomridge – Braehead – Stirling – Causewayhead Corner – Tullibody – Alloa.

New service 52 route – Stirling Bus Station – Causewayhead Corner – Wallace Monument – Stirling University (rear entrance) – Menstrie – Alva – Tillicoultry – Coalsnaughton – Fishcross – Sauchie – Alloa.

Revised to operate between Stirling Bus Station and Stirling University via Cornton and Bridge of Allan.
University links maintained.
Replaced between Stirling and Cowie by new service 51.
Replaced at Stirling Community Hospital by service 57.

Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes.

New service 54 route – Stirling Bus Station - Cornton – Bridge of Allan – Stirling University

Route revised to serve Stirling Community Hospital.
Earlier journey in the mornings from Raploch.

Route within Raploch revised to operate along Drip Road.

New service 57 route – Raploch – Drip Road – Stirling – Stirling Community Hospital – St. Ninians.

This service will be withdrawn. Links between Clackmannan and Alloa continue to be offered through services H1/H2 and by other operators.

62/63

This service will be replaced by new services 51 and 52. See service 51/52 entry above.

Uni-Link

Revised circular route covering more of Stirling University grounds, as well as the Wallace Monument.
Improved morning and evening timetable with additional journeys and earlier morning trips.
All year-round operation introduced with 30 minute frequency operating outwith University semesters.
Service 52 continues to serve rear entrance of Stirling University.

New Uni-Link route – Stirling (Goosecroft Road) – Causewayhead Road – Causewayhead Corner – Stirling University (main entrance) – Stirling University (Bus Hub) – Stirling University (rear entrance) – Wallace Monument – Causewayhead Corner – Causewayhead Road – Stirling (Goosecroft Road)

tbtc

Veteran Member
People have already made it clear to Lothian, its fare are crap and there will still drive to the P&R sites

Which people? Where? Was there another referendum that I missed?

I thought we were only a couple of days into the operation of the west Lothian routes (and not long into First's new West Lothian network), so maybe it'd be too soon to reach judgement?

Or are we doing the usual thing of taking a handful of bitter comments on social media and extrapolating them to assume that thousands of people hold those views?

I don't know what Lothian's tactics are in West Lothian, I don't know what their "goal" is. But I don't think it's a bad thing that (if they are going to run to Livi/Bathgate) that they are doing so with realistic fares (rather than undercutting First with a £1.70 flat fare that would be unsustainable once First leave town(s). They are trying to provide a quality product, they are going for the high end of the market (rather than launching a MagicBus-style attack). I don't know if it'll work (First's West Lothian fleet today is a lot better than the rag-tag assortment of rattling Darts and knackered 'deckers that First operated in East Lothian). But it seems a bit early to start calling the final result, based on a few days of operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.