• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef434

Was driving back into Livingston today and saw a Scania Omnidekka on the 27 is this on loan or a transfer in?

I may be in a minority, but the Omnidekkas were amongst my favourite buses we’ve had in Livingston so hoping its permanent.
Got to disagree propably one of the worst buys that FSE got into.
These were in partnership with WLC and the first day they arrived ,they were in the wrong colour,had no heaters and the pins holding the emergency doors were falling off oh and the chassis were a botched job...…2.5m down the drain the other 2,5m went to the taxpayer of WL
East Lancs fk me as bad as wrightbus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In Focus

Why not have new First Livingston thread? As I was told different companies anyways.
I think the Livingston side of the operation gets covered in the now renamed "West Lothian Bus Wars" thread.

However id imagine if someone wants to start a new thread for Livingston then they should just Go ahead and do it ,always plenty to discuss within West Lothian at the moment.

LiviCrazy

Got to disagree propably one of the worst buys that FSE got into.
These were in partnership with WLC and the first day they arrived ,they were in the wrong colour,had no heaters and the pins holding the emergency doors were falling off oh and the chassis were a botched job...…2.5m down the drain the other 2,5m went to the taxpayer of WL
East Lancs fk me as bad as wrightbus
I always liked them. The engine noise has always had one of the nicest sounds of any bus I’ve been on. Always felt extremely powerful too, used to do quite well on the X15 to Glasgow.

Actually got on 36030 today and still seems as good as it ever was.

As an added note, I was wondering whether that will be the only bus in Barbie livery in Livingston now, not seen any others for a long time.

Last edited:

In Focus

I always liked them. The engine noise has always had one of the nicest sounds of any bus I’ve been on. Always felt extremely powerful too, used to do quite well on the X15 to Glasgow.

Actually got on 36030 today and still seems as good as it ever was.

As an added note, I was wondering whether that will be the only bus in Barbie livery in Livingston now, not seen any others for a long time.
Yes it is only one and it's only in on loan.

Accelerator59

Does anybody have a link to an up-to-date fleet list for Midland Bluebird by any chance? Can’t seem to find one anywhere. TIA

Observer

Noticed a few Royal Route Streetlites finally repainted in the current new livery. No route branding though so hopefully it stays that way, as they aren't suited to that route and were a bad purchase for it.

For over a year the above have needed to have been rebranded due to the 38A coming off. Same with the previous batch of StreetLites for the 3/4 advertising a route which half of it is now covered by the 6/7/8.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Out of the 3 Scottish operations it's definitely the least attractive to sell. Will be interesting to see who takes it

Gingerbus1991

Odd though, there was talk of the company putting itself on the market but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Out of the 3 Scottish operations it's definitely the least attractive to sell. Will be interesting to see who takes it
Odd though, there was talk of the company putting itself on the market but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere?

I think any potential sale that includes Midland Bluebird Ltd would probably be part of a Glasgow sale. Aberdeen could be sold on it's own as geographically it doesn't tie with the others. However even then i do think any potential Scottish sale will include all 3 divisions.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think any potential sale that includes Midland Bluebird Ltd would probably be part of a Glasgow sale. Aberdeen could be sold on it's own as geographically it doesn't tie with the others. However even then i do think any potential Scottish sale will include all 3 divisions.

Makes sense to sell them together since there's only 3 operations plus having Glasgow as part of it will definitely get a lot of interest. I feel like someone could definitely do well with the 3 as a package. Will be interesting to see how long it'll take for something to happen

Observer

It won't be allowed. Too large of an operating area combined, outwith Aberdeen of course. Best sold as three parts, or four if you split out Livingston (and the actual FSE license which it is only used for), which is more likely if Lothian want it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Could Lothian even take Midland Bluebird LTD? Would allow them to expand further west. Not sure how likely it is. What do you guys think?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could Lothian even take Midland Bluebird LTD? Would allow them to expand further west. Not sure how likely it is. What do you guys think?
Those sort of comments might end up with you being burned at the stake - be very careful ;)

PaulMc7

Established Member
Those sort of comments might end up with you being burned at the stake - be very careful ;)

Haha I've dealt with ****ty comments on other forums within the last 24 hours and plenty of other stuff in life. Bring it on

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Haha I've dealt with ****ty comments on other forums within the last 24 hours and plenty of other stuff in life. Bring it on
If you have heat-proof bum, fair enough ;)

I've mebbe had a few sherries tonight, but I'd possibly suggest (allegedly) that Midland's fate was sealed back in 1985 when the SBG was re-organised. Removing the Glasgow operations to the south, and the Perth operations to the North left them with not an awful lot to play with. If it hadn't been for the acquisition by GRT (in their early expansion plans) would they realistically have survived?

smtglasgow

To me, the future of Midland Bluebird is the most interesting thing about the break-up of First in Scotland. I’m with Jordan in thinking that a sale of the whole Scottish operation makes sense and would be the most likely outcome, but then again, who wants Midland Bluebird? It has a dire record and there’s precious little to cut/minimal opportunities to grow.

If being sold on its own, it *should* be Stagecoach – it would fit nicely with Fife – but that’s not going to happen for obvious reasons. Maybe Lothian would buy out Livingston (although why would they when they’re strangling it slowly as it is?), but Midland Bluebird would need a lot of work to sort out, and it’s unlikely to ever be a pot of gold. If the price was right West Coast might be interested, but their expertise is really rural work. When they were going for world domination I’d reckon on McGills being interested, but I think that ship has sailed. Which leaves it being sold as part of a Scotland-wide package….but to who?

Where it might get really interesting is if First decide to keep the crown jewels and dispose of the rest. Can’t help thinking Midland Bluebird would be a bit of a fire sale, so someone really left-field could surprise us.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The issue with Lothian taking on Midland Bluebird is that it's outside of the Lothian Councils region. As such management would have to ask shareholders for permission first before they could expand, this is the reason why the EX2 only goes to Linlithgow and the 275/X18 only go to Whitburn. I wouldn't say it's impossible but given the well documented financial and operation issues in the Midland division i'd question how likely shareholders would be to allow Lothian to expand.

overthewater

Established Member
Also think a full sale of First Scotland is the most likley outcome, However Stagecoach were to get hold of Stirling it could put to the high amount of competition in the area to say if we raise our prices people will jump. However if Stirling megarider come in at £12, it would help Stagecoach.

In Focus

Also think a full sale of First Scotland is the most likley outcome, However Stagecoach were to get hold of Stirling it could put to the high amount of competition in the area to say if we raise our prices people will jump. However if Stirling megarider come in at £12, it would help Stagecoach.

Go Ahead have another guess, :)

overthewater

Established Member
Go Ahead is the company that is always linked to MB being brought even since 2012. However nothing has come from it as of yet.... However it does seem it could go one of three ways but like so many things something left field could happen. Better Q: when.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Go Ahead is the company that is always linked to MB being brought even since 2012. However nothing has come from it as of yet.... However it does seem it could go one of three ways but like so many things something left field could happen. Better Q: when.

Linked by whom?

And what you’ve said is any 1 of 3 things could happen......or something else. :s And at some time.

overthewater

Established Member
Go ahead has been mentioned umpteen times wishing to get hold of Midland bluebird, however I still think there is more change of Stagecoach starting full on attack on Stirling or National express buying all of First Scotland. We have no idea what is going to happen with MB, or when.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Go ahead has been mentioned umpteen times wishing to get hold of Midland bluebird, however I still think there is more change of Stagecoach starting full on attack on Stirling or National express buying all of First Scotland. We have no idea what is going to happen with MB, or when.

Like I said - mentioned by whom? Credibility?

And yes, something could happen and at some point...possibly.

Volvodart

Established Member
That is (at least some of) the new timetables up for this month's service changes on the First website.

Status
Not open for further replies.