• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CM

Thank you Thank you

Was I having a pop at you? No, calm down pal. I merely stated that I'd have though First would have known they'd likely to have had restrictions applied to them prior to bidding, you don't need to go off on one! Good grief!

Stef434

Bit of a dramatic unneccessary response to an opinion there. I haven't but to me an X makes most sense on a service that's a genuine express route. Could make a case for limited stop services but in terms of actual expresses X's should be used on either services through motorways or genuinely fast routes that are alternative versions of other services
Not dramatic whatsoever the use of the X does not denote an express service ,would you say the old FSE X27/28 was an express service because it serviced less stops but done the same route or the old X14/15 done a tragic tour of WL before it even thought about the M8 .
There are stipulations about registering an express route The X prefix isn't one of them ,only an illusion devised by you know who and guess what all data compiled said it works

Stef434

Was I having a pop at you? No, calm down pal. I merely stated that I'd have though First would have known they'd likely to have had restrictions applied to them prior to bidding, you don't need to go off on one! Good grief!
not trying to be smarmy mate ,but I have been there ,only offering my insight to how First operate within the inner circle ..trying to post factual material .but I will bugger off and let this site go like bloodbus

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not dramatic whatsoever the use of the X does not denote an express service ,would you say the old FSE X27/28 was an express service because it serviced less stops but done the same route or the old X14/15 done a tragic tour of WL before it even thought about the M8 .
There are stipulations about registering an express route The X prefix isn't one of them ,only an illusion devised by you know who and guess what all data compiled said it works

Again, this is an age old enthusiasts moan. What should an X prefix (or suffix) mean?

Does it HAVE to be an express? Go South Coast use the X to signify Cross Country. First West of England have their North Somerset Excel network numbered X1-X9. Stagecoach Midlands have a number of cross country routes numbered as Xs.

Then you have the complaint about even the expresses not being express enough. The X39 runs from Bath to Bristol but observes every stop with the exception that it uses the Keynsham bypass.

It's not an exact science.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I do understand the frustration of people saying "stuff" because it's their opinion yet it's not backed up by the facts and they don't know the realities of the situation.

I mean I could say "It's my opinion that the capital of Venezuela is East Kilbride". If you (rightly) said no, it's not but I continued to argue it's East Kilbride, that might be annoying and ultimately frustrating :smile:

Of course, we all know that the capital of Venezuela is not far from Cumbernauld.......;)

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
The mods will naturally ensure that any discussion is conducted in an appropriate manner.

However, I do understand the frustration of people saying "stuff" because it's their opinion yet it's not backed up by the facts and they don't know the realities of the situation.

I mean I could say "It's my opinion that the capital of Venezuela is East Kilbride". If you (rightly) said no, it's not but I continued to argue it's East Kilbride, that might be annoying and ultimately frustrating :smile:

Of course, we all know that the capital of Venezuela is not far from Cumbernauld.......;)

If something is blatantly wrong then fair enough but there isn't much of that on here tbh especially from what I've seen. Not sure about before I came on here but it's been generally reasonable from what I've seen lol

Samuel88

On Moderation
I'm in Glasgow for a few weeks and next week I might take a trip out to Stirling and Falkirk. Is the all zones Firstday ticket also valid on First Glasgow buses? The zone map would suggest so but nothing on the website says it's valid...

CM

I'm in Glasgow for a few weeks and next week I might take a trip out to Stirling and Falkirk. Is the all zones Firstday ticket also valid on First Glasgow buses? The zone map would suggest so but nothing on the website says it's valid...

As far as I'm aware it is but it's likley the Glasgow drivers don't know about it. Even the Midland Bluebird drivers seem to have hard time finding it on the machines as the last time I asked for one the driver let me on and told me to ask his relief driver for it upon arrival at Balfron.

I recon the current X prefixes are merely a marketing plan, adding a bit of prestige, seX appeal and eXclusivity to a route. The way the X prefixes are being thrown about by First (all parts in Central Scotland) and LCB is becoming a bit of an eXtravagence and starting to lose all meaning.

FX4 by First Glasgow was actually a great marketing ploy. Very good one as it actually stood out from the oversaturated ‘express’ situation at the time in Cumbernauld where apart from the 36 everything to Glasgow that went via the M80 was a so called express route.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I recon the current X prefixes are merely a marketing plan, adding a bit of prestige, seX appeal and eXclusivity to a route. The way the X prefixes are being thrown about by First (all parts in Central Scotland) and LCB is becoming a bit of an eXtravagence and starting to lose all meaning

Which LCB routes have an "X" prefix and don't have a limited stop section and/or divert via dual carriageways for part of the route?

Is this just about the X27/X28 or are there others that have irked you? AFAICS the Midlothian routes have had an "X" version for quite a few years, so that's not a new thing (and there are regular stopping services that require differentiation).

overthewater

Established Member
X17, x18, X27 and X28 are all limited stop with Edinburgh. With First, the X36 was supposed to highlight the fact the bus went via M80 for half the journey so that was fair enough, X35 and X37 is a tad pointless, however its still an express for passengers going to Muirhead or Moddiesburn.

route101

Established Member
As far as I'm aware it is but it's likley the Glasgow drivers don't know about it. Even the Midland Bluebird drivers seem to have hard time finding it on the machines as the last time I asked for one the driver let me on and told me to ask his relief driver for it upon arrival at Balfron.

I recall asking for one ad the driver wasnt too pleased. Cant be often someone asks for them.

lastbus

They can be used on First Glasgow buses within Glasgow city zone however you cannot purchase the ticket on a First Glashow bus.

Observer

Maybe if they get around to replacing those awful StreetLites....

Then again, the fronts are only vinyl anyway.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Maybe if they get around to replacing those awful StreetLites....

Then again, the fronts are only vinyl anyway.

Not always, it depends. Some are vinyl (such as the X10/X10A/X35/X36/X37) others are paint (such as the 23 and most Glasgow vehicles).

CM

Well they will, it's just a case of when, the 38 corridor tends to get new vehicles every 7 years, so theoretically it should get new buses next year.

In all fairness, the Streetsh***s should never have been bought for that route in the first place as they are totally unsuitable for that type of route.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In all fairness, the Streetsh***s should never have been bought for that route in the first place as they are totally unsuitable for that type of route.

Agree... Even the routes up here they're totally useless so it's utter madness that they thought getting them for the 38/X38 was a good idea!

overthewater

Established Member
X38 should have been cut in two years ago, You also have to wonder why the 57 plates were just never given a refurb.

X38; Falkirk - Edinburgh
New route Stirling - Falkirk - maybe to Maddiston to open up newlinks to the hospital.

overthewater

Established Member
From what I was told many years ago they were supposed to get an interior refurb but somehow that got dropped.

If First had done that, the buses would have been 13 years so, but so what there still in good nick mechanical. I bet it would have saved a fortunes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
X38 should have been cut in two years ago, You also have to wonder why the 57 plates were just never given a refurb.

X38; Falkirk - Edinburgh
New route Stirling - Falkirk - maybe to Maddiston to open up newlinks to the hospital.

Perhaps? ...

X9: Edinburgh - M9 - Falkirk - Stirling (Every 30 Minutes)
9: Bo'Ness - Falkirk - Stirling (Every 30 Minutes) - Replaces Service 2.
38: Edinburgh - Linlithgow - Falkirk (Every 20 Minutes)

That way you retain a frequent cross service for Linlithgow, faster journeys for Falkirk - Stirling and you retain the 15 minute frequency between Falkirk and Stirling.

In terms of allocation (as in new vehicles with high spec interiors)
X9: E400MMCs, 9/38: 6 cyl E200MMCs

If First had done that, the buses would have been 13 years so, but so what there still in good nick mechanical. I bet it would have saved a fortunes.

In Aberdeen the 57/08 and two of the 07 plate B7RLEs (12 buses in total) got fully refurbished in 2014 and the difference between them and the rest of the B7RLE is very noticeable. Despite the refurb being 5 years ago now they still feel pretty much like new buses, certainly they belie their age. That being said at a mechanical aspect even the non-refurb examples are still fantastic. Certainly if the interior was to the same standard i'd rather sit on a 07 reg B7RLEs than a brand new Streetlite... That said even the 62 plate E300s would be better suited to the X38!

Status
Not open for further replies.