• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First North Western: Manchester-London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
They appear to have allowed two OA services into Kings Cross, despite opposition from the incumbent EC franchisee, so I wonder why they consider the West Coast franchise needs such protection?

I suppose it was related to the amount that Rail Track were pouring into the WC modernisation (and a lot of it out the other side). Vurgin had ordered a completely new fleet, after all, so I suppose they felt that they were entitled to their investment being protected, whether rightly ior Wrongly.

Lampshade

Established Member
Bolton, Rochdale, somewhere round there wasn't it.

At least 15 miles away :shock:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They appear to have allowed two OA services into Kings Cross, despite opposition from the incumbent EC franchisee, so I wonder why they consider the West Coast franchise needs such protection?

It was because the DfT wanted the maximum possible revenue from Virgin, obviously if there was competition this wouldn't be as high.

Polarbear

Established Member
I used both of these services when they were running, though I only got to use the 158 from Newton-le-Willows on one occasion.

The 158 was a real stagger! As well as being limited to 90mph, you also got to find out where the (quite steep) gradients on the WCML were - electric traction makes mincemeat of these but for a little 158, it's a big challenge! Camden Bank was immense fun! :D

The Airport- London service was good fun too, although the electric power helped immensly. These trains had an extended pathing break at Tamworth in both directions which in those days turned into a smoking break for the regulars (no smoking on trains at that time but the stations weren't yet no-smoking zones).

I also had the honour of a 309 on one run to London - and it kept time (including the smoking break at Tamworth). Bounced around a bit but it was good fun! :D

The main attraction for me was the ability to "turn up & go" for a very reasonable fare of (I think) £20 return. Ok it was slow & not always convenient, but it was fun whilst it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.