• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First refurbed GNER HST out today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Assuming it has stayed on its booked diagram, it should currently be on the 21.30 KX-Leeds.

Craig

Established Member
I saw it at Newcastle on the 16:55 Newcastle - Kings Cross (43112 + 43006). Didn't have time for a proper look, but it seemed to be up to the same standard as the mk4s.

Peter

whay do they have a hst between leeds and kx or newcastle and kx, don't they have them just for Inverness, Aberdeen, Skipton and Harrogate?

Andrew

Because there aren't enough IC225 sets to run all their "under the wires" services.

Peter

when will the inverness and Aberdeen services have them? What do you mean say goodbye to comfy seats, mallard ones are comfy, they don't bottom out or wobble like those on hsts'

ChrisCooper

Established Member
One thing I don't get with modern trains and modern refurbs is why they have to put such bright lighting in. It can't be nice at all for those who want to have a sleep after a long day. Actually, one of my main objections to modern long distance trains is the bright lighting and bright colours, combined with them often being quite cold, loud announcments (particularly when you are on one of those long distance services that still stops at every station) and hard seats make them very unrelaxing environments. Of cource, in some cases it's even worse when you've got a loud engine under you that's revving up and down at regular intervals. It doesn't compare favourably with air travel where especially for long haul flights (and remember, many long distance services have journey times comparable with long haul flights) where an effort is made to make a relaxing environment thorugh subdued lighting and the use of colour, and even the drone of the engines tends to be quite hypnotic (with trains, it's not so much the engines, but the fact that it's full throttle-idle-brake-full throttle-idle-brake over and over again). Wouldn't be so bad, but on a train at night, you can't even see a thing out of the windows due to the bright lights and thick glass making them like mirrors.
Anyway, at least they havn't gone down the FGW route of trying to pack loads more seats in, and have left quite a few tables, and the seats seem better than FGW aswell (I've only done a Mallard in first, and not yet done a FGW refurb.

thefab444

Established Member
I didn't like the FGW HD-HST and I usually like modern trains, so you'll probaby absolutely dispise it.

I find having a kip on trains is ok as long as you haven't got the sun flickering at you. 444s have "harsh" lighting and the main problem is my head kept hitting the window... :(

adambro

I don't see to the normal passenger how old unrefurbished stock and loud engines which destroy the environment is 'the best'

There seems to be a difference between what the railway enthusiast likes and what your regular passenger does, I suspect they welcome the changes. I personally find the (old) GNER HST sets to be far less superior to the Mallards in terms of passenger comfort. What I do like is the novelty of having to open the doors manually and being able to open the windows, has this been retained?

devon_metro

Established Member
There seems to be a difference between what the railway enthusiast likes and what your regular passenger does, I suspect they welcome the changes. I personally find the (old) GNER HST sets to be far less superior to the Mallards in terms of passenger comfort. What I do like is the novelty of having to open the doors manually and being able to open the windows, has this been retained?

It most certainly has.

I also agree with you Chris about modern trains. It seems that designers think if we make it plastic and flashy people will like it. I imagine its a health risk to have in-sufficient lighting :roll:

Although fair play to GNER, looks like they have done a sterling job. Looks well thought out and done with the utmost care. To put it simply the fGW standard class refurbs look cheap.

Darandio

Established Member
I don't see to the normal passenger how old unrefurbished stock and loud engines which destroy the environment is 'the best'

The 'normal' passenger just wants to get from a to b and couldn't give a monkeys about what the enthusiast would want. i.e, i would be much happier getting my ears blown off by a valenta powered hst than watching an mtu unit floating out of the station. Unfortunately, the environmental side of things is a big sell.

A question i have for you guys is:-

do any of you know whether gner and possibly other train companies have given instructions to their drivers not to 'open up' until they are clear of the platforms? it seems now at Darlington, the 43's tend to crawl out of the station and then thrash once they are clear?

richa2002

Established Member
Um, unrefurbished? They were refurbished when MML got the franchise and they are in very nice condition and extremely comfortable. I really doubt a passenger really cares what engine is in the power car too:roll:.

class 313

Established Member
Um, unrefurbished? They were refurbished when MML got the franchise and they are in very nice condition and extremely comfortable. I really doubt a passenger really cares what engine is in the power car too:roll:.

MML mk3s are VERY nice, nice green, nice seats, I'm inside which adds to the niceness, and the VPs are VERY quiet from inside the coach, hardly hear them! But wait till a good old Valenta is hauling/pushing and you can tell! *flails*

devon_metro

Established Member
I was never overly impressed by the MML interior, apart from the lighting strip.

But what do I know... I havn't been on all 3 TOCs that run HSTs...

IMO the GNER atmosphere is very warm and desprite being old fashioned fairly nice. I also like the GW sets which were up to a high standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.