• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First regional management structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

baza585

Recent developments in FSY has prompted me to start a new thread, where folk can post details of the regional structures in their areas. In terms of my area

First Hampshire Dorset and Berkshire covers Dorset (Weymouth), Southampton, Solent (Hoeford and Hilsea) and Berkshire (Slough). AFAIK MD is Marc Reddy but not sure who he reports to.

Other contributors welcome. If there is a definitive current UK bus structure chart anywhere online, a link to it would be most welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Recent developments in FSY has prompted me to start a new thread, where folk can post details of the regional structures in their areas. In terms of my area

First Hampshire Dorset and Berkshire covers Dorset (Weymouth), Southampton, Solent (Hoeford and Hilsea) and Berkshire (Slough). AFAIK MD is Marc Reddy but not sure who he reports to.

Other contributors welcome. If there is a definitive current UK bus structure chart anywhere online, a link to it would be most welcome.

First South West (Kernow, SPS, Somerset) is Alex Carter as MD, with Marc Morgan Huws as Ops Dir; can't remember the local manager for Somerset (but used to be in Bath)
First West of England is James Freeman as MD
First Cymru is Andrew Sherrington as MD
First Scotland is Andrew Jarvis as MD - don't recall the local managers
First East (Eastern Counties, Essex) has Steve Vickers as MD?

All report into Dave Alexander, Divisional Director UK Bus IIRC.

M803UYA

June 2020 edition of Buses reports that Andrew Sherrington resigned as Cymru MD on 1st April. This would be immediately after the financial year end for First.

TheGrandWazoo said:
First Cymru is Andrew Sherrington as MD

swifty

Established Member
First South West (Kernow, SPS, Somerset) is Alex Carter as MD, with Marc Morgan Huws as Ops Dir; can't remember the local manager for Somerset (but used to be in Bath)

If you’re thinking of Aled I believe he’s left and is now with Go-Ahead in Dublin.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
June 2020 edition of Buses reports that Andrew Sherrington resigned as Cymru MD on 1st April. This would be immediately after the financial year end for First.

Don't get Buses and confess that one had passed me by.

If you’re thinking of Aled I believe he’s left and is now with Go-Ahead in Dublin.

Yeah, that's the guy. Was talking to someone at BoS last year and they thought he was really good. Didn't realise he'd moved to pastures new - bit of a culture change there!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I doubt it. Mainline was a bit tarnished by the end and it's not like we've seen the return of many other old names.

I lose track of who runs York! Given where most recent vehicle transfers have come from, I thought it was West Yorkshire but be good to know.

Surely, York has always come under FWY ?

AB93

York is its own OpCo in a similar manner to Aberdeen, albeit shares some support functions with FWY.

Galaxy

I do remember FSY was Sheffield and Rotherham and Doncaster was lumped into York for a time in the 2010s.

This is some time ago and of course before First shut Rotherham depot.

B7rleThrasher

Don't get Buses and confess that one had passed me by.

Yeah, that's the guy. Was talking to someone at BoS last year and they thought he was really good. Didn't realise he'd moved to pastures new - bit of a culture change there!

I moved to Ireland back in October and absolutely love it, incredibly different to running buses in rural Somerset and Go-Ahead are a very different organisation to work for.

Considerably more local control and autonomy and a very difficult culture in the depots - I miss my colleagues back in Somerset, a superb bunch who take so much pride in their operation. Somerset is now run by Kevin who was my Staff Manager when I was there.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I (Aled) moved to Ireland back in October and absolutely love it, incredibly different to running buses in rural Somerset and Go-Ahead are a very different organisation to work for.

Considerably more local control and autonomy and a very difficult culture in the depots - I miss my colleagues back in Somerset, a superb bunch who take so much pride in their operation. Somerset is now run by Kevin who was my Staff Manager when I was there.

Thanks for responding. I won't embarrass you further with more praise ;) or identify the person!

Having worked in the UK and Ireland myself, it's certainly different. Hope it continues to go well for you.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First Scotland is Andrew Jarvis as MD - don't recall the local managers

The local managers or "Operations Directors" (officially) are...

David Phillips for Aberdeen & Scotland East.
Duncan Cameron for Glasgow (former Aberdeen MD prior to 2015)

richw

Veteran Member
Think we all know it’s a JV between JJP and First South West. Alex Carter is a director.

Your post Clearly and incorrectly said SPS is part of FSW. Your now changing your mind on Alex’s role based on being told you were incorrect
First South West (Kernow, SPS, Somerset) is Alex Carter as MD, with Marc Morgan Huws as Ops Dir

SPS is a stand-alone company that has its own Managing Director and structure.

Alex Carter is indeed a Director but the company is not part of the FSW structure.

The structural relationship with First is confined to the fact that First is a 50% shareholder and receives a dividend from SPS.

The day to day interactions do include First South West providing some management and resource support but SPS is not directly controlled or run by First.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Your post Clearly and incorrectly said SPS is part of FSW. Your now changing your mind on Alex’s role based on being told you were incorrect

SPS is a stand-alone company that has its own Managing Director and structure.

Alex Carter is indeed a Director but the company is not part of the FSW structure.

The structural relationship with First is confined to the fact that First is a 50% shareholder and receives a dividend from SPS.

The day to day interactions do include First South West providing some management and resource support but SPS is not directly controlled or run by First.

Nothing of the sort. I know that SPS has it's own financial standing, and is and has been since formation, been a JV between JJP (Jonathan Pratt - formerly of Crosville) and First. Clearly and evidently, it has links to FSW as the dividend is reported through their financials, AC is a director, and clearly there are operational links not least evidenced by the recent loan of vehicles from FK to SPS.

I put it under FSW and AC more for convenience and nothing more, and if that has offended your sensibilities, then I can only apologise.

Appreciate I misrepresented MMH's title/role but other than that, think you're rather seizing on "something".

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I put it under FSW and AC more for convenience and nothing more, and if that has offended your sensibilities, then I can only apologise.
It’s completely incorrect and your post had them down as under FSW management. There is no offence to my sensibility, you are posting false information that needs corrected as a public internet site. Instead of arguing and trying to justify your inaccurate information accept you’re wrong!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s completely incorrect and your post had them down as under FSW management. There is no offence to my sensibility, you are posting false information that needs corrected as a public internet site. Instead of arguing and trying to justify your inaccurate information accept you’re wrong!

Sorry - please appreciate I put it under there for convenience. I know (and have since formation) of the relationship of SPS to First Group and to FSW. That really is it.

Had I have known how keen you were to ensure absolute, fulsome accuracy, then I would have recorded greater detail to avoid any such misunderstanding.

cnjb8

Established Member
More about the South Yorkshire and Midland merger. Says initiatives carried out in Midlands will be carried out in SY.

Status
Not open for further replies.