• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First rolling stock you can remember travelling on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Blues

For me it was the Class 116s on the Cross City Line in the early to mid 80s. They were getting on for 25 years old and looked and sounded their age. They also had a very distinctive smell which I couldn't put me finger on (possibly a mixture of damp and brake dust)

I loved the fact that if you sat in the front seat in the leading carriage, you could see into the cab and could pretend to be the driver. Something that was probably formative in shaping my interest in the railways.

That said when they were replaced by the 323s in the mid 90s it was like something from another planet. By comparison they looked and sounded almost futuristic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete_uk

Established Member
Whatever was doing the Cheltenham to Swindon services in the mid 80's. I know they swayed a bit and you could see out the front

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can't say it's definitely the first memory I have, but do remember riding a 304 through Stretford (so must've been 1991 or sooner).

Polarbear

Established Member
Mine's a bit different from the norm - Tait stock that used to operate around Melbourne when I was a lot younger.

More information available on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tait_(train)

As for Britain, I can just about remember the ride on the boat train from Southampton Docks to Waterloo back in 1971 when I first arrived in the UK. That would have been Mk1's probably hauled by a class 73 or 74.

class387

Established Member
D78 Stock.

First mainline stock was a hired 321 on c2c.

D365

Veteran Member
Class 365. But that wasn’t obvious was it...

cj_1985

Class 303s, running in to glasgow central low level

Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
My earliest train might have been a HST or 50 hauled, probably Taunton to Plymouth, in either mk1 or mk2 if 50 hauled or a Flying Banana livery if HST, might have been about 8-10 traveling with parents, was train mad even then.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Pacer - Unsure whether class 142 or 143, but possibly the former, the 143s were transferred away from the area fairly early in my childhood. I remember watching the sleepers of the adjacent running line flicker by with increasing rapidity through the full height glass of the bus doors, and the lingering smell of diesel exhaust that hung around my local station after the train had gone throbbing away down the line.

dgl

Established Member
NSE 159 Crewkerne -> Honiton, got to go in the cab and toot the horn :D

Dunnyrail

Oerilicon sets on the Euston to Watford line circa 1952, but then I am an old git! These superb LNWR units were rplaced by the rather horrible BR units that became known as 501 or Prison Cars. The Oerilicons had somewhat similar seating arangements to the superb new units used on the London Overground by LUL these days, with the exception that some of the seats faced forwards thus meaning you did not get a stiff neck trying to look out of the window. Khan please note!

xotGD

Established Member
DMU Newcastle to Whitley Bay - probably a 101

Wivenswold

Established Member
London Transport - CO/CP stock.
British Rail - Either a Class 302 or 308.

billh

class 303/304 on the glossop/hadfield line when i lived near flowery field, class 101/108 from hyde north.
I can trump that on the same route with nearly new Hadfield DC emu's that later became class 506 and sometimes ex LNER Gresley teak stock hauled by an EM2(class77) to Manchester London Road. Got to cab no 27000 at L.R. before it was named Electra.in those days there was no Flowery Field or Hattersley stations.Yep,I am THAT old.

jj1314

I grew up in Penzance and one of my earliest memories is travelling to Paddington, probably 1990/1. For some reason, I've got it in my head this might have been in a Mk2 rake hauled by a Class 47. Did these run to Paddington/Waterloo?

Given the nostalgia here, does anyone have video/photos of the interior of an Intercity mk2?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One of my earliest memories is from when I was about 3, and being at Huddersfield station with my parents and older brother waiting for our train to the seaside at Scarborough. The image of the locomotive (which I now know was a class 45 or 46) coming out of the tunnel and into platform 8 is as clear as day- which was probably, with hindsight, the first sign that I'd grow up with the social stigma of being an enthusiast!

Of course, I technically didn't ride IN said Peak, just behind it in what will have been mk1s or early mk2s!

brel york

I grew up in Penzance and one of my earliest memories is travelling to Paddington, probably 1990/1. For some reason, I've got it in my head this might have been in a Mk2 rake hauled by a Class 47. Did these run to Paddington/Waterloo?

Given the nostalgia here, does anyone have video/photos of the interior of an Intercity mk2?
Early mk 2

Attachments

• D06F7CBA-731D-4110-9B67-E3996C29C1DA.jpeg
    D06F7CBA-731D-4110-9B67-E3996C29C1DA.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 74

Welshman

Established Member
Oerilicon sets on the Euston to Watford line circa 1952, but then I am an old git! These superb LNWR units were rplaced by the rather horrible BR units that became known as 501 or Prison Cars. The Oerilicons had somewhat similar seating arangements to the superb new units used on the London Overground by LUL these days, with the exception that some of the seats faced forwards thus meaning you did not get a stiff neck trying to look out of the window. Khan please note!

You're not an old git but a stable, well-matured, responsible member of society like me!

I can just remember the ex LMS non-corridor coaches in the Calder Valley in the 1950s. Sitting in short trousers on prickly horse-hair seats with knees touching the person opposite as the Fairburn tank chugged from one station to the next, and letting the window down with a leather strap to lean out to open the door when you reached your destination. Arriving feeling grubbier than when you set off.
The now extinct diesel units [101s and Derby Lightweights], clean and spacious and with excellent views[especially through the front and rear] seemed such an advance in travel standards on introduction!

brel york

A lot of the misters I worked with as an apprentice remembered working on the rapist trains , Mk1 non corridor stock out of kings x
One of the instructors could remember repairing Tyneside electric stock , not only the epb units but the ex lner units

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Unrefurbished CEP from Charing Cross to Ashford in about 1982 (and some sort of 1st Gen DMU from Yarmouth to Liverpool Street).

The trip back from Pontins holiday camp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.