• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I know that First are reluctant to try and make fares known, but does anyone on here happen to know how much a single is on the 63 from Heriot Watt to the Gyle? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I know that First are reluctant to try and make fares known, but does anyone on here happen to know how much a single is on the 63 from Heriot Watt to the Gyle? Thanks.

Yes it’s £1.70 for an adult and 80p for a child, they also have a day ticket option for £4 which is valid on the other first services within the Edinburgh area!

I think First upload their fares to Traveline if that's any use for future reference. However it's only plain singles that show rather than special promotions.
I could be wrong but for services like the 20 and 63 they might be limited to Lothian City single fares as a maximum by Edinburgh Council. Possibly a reason why Lothian Country weren't especially keen to compete for these rural tenders alongside their higher cost commercial services.

GALLANTON

Is there a reason why FSE dont offer their entire range of day tickets on the mobile app? I was going to buy a 3+ zone day ticket but the app only has them in bundles for £30.

Likewise i've been using this "secret" site for quite some time. I believe it was the intention that First Scotlands live tracking would be added to Bustimes, and it was briefly for a few days earlier in the year, but not much has happened since. I think they're perhaps waiting until First properly set up the live tracking through the Governments open data system as currently "Olympia Glitch" gets it's data from the First App.
Is there another unofficial tracking sites for First Scotland East? This one doesn't work any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Question!

If I caught a 38 from Stirling would I definitely be guaranteed a direct bus to Edinburgh? I understand the services have been split in Falkirk but if I bought a ticket in Stirling and ask for a single to Edinburgh would that be allowed?

Please if anyone knows the answer let me know! Thank you.

Question!

If I caught a 38 from Stirling would I definitely be guaranteed a direct bus to Edinburgh? I understand the services have been split in Falkirk but if I bought a ticket in Stirling and ask for a single to Edinburgh would that be allowed?

I think there are some X38's which operate to Stirling in the Mornings and evenings.

overthewater

Established Member
I think there are some X38's which operate to Stirling in the Mornings and evenings.

There is only one bus in the evenings that does that, ( 21.14 at Falkirk to Edinburgh) everything else is spilt during the week.

The Sunday service does cover the full route, You can view the timetable on Firstbus website under X38:

Question!

The route is split in Falkirk but you can buy a through fare from Stirling to Edinburgh and, as has been pointed, out the Sunday service goes all the way .

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
The route is split in Falkirk but you can pay through fare Stirling to Edinburgh , and as has been pointed out the Sunday service goes all the way .

Thanks! I tried this and I paid £6.80 single and transferred in Falkirk; a really long journey might I add, but it was worth trying out at least once!

Admittedly it was jarring transferring from a double decker 38 to a single decker X38 :lol:

Volvodart

Established Member
Timetables are up for West Lothian changes from 6 September 2021 with some services being cut short (X25, 600) or reduced in frequency over part of the route
(21).

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Timetables are up for West Lothian changes from 6 September 2021 with some services being cut short (X25, 600) or reduced in frequency over part of the route
(21).

If I’m understanding this correctly, the 600 is only running Livingston to Kirkliston and the X25 is only Blackridge to Broxburn with no sign of the X23 returning!

LiviCrazy

so if I’m understanding this correctly, the 600 is only running Livingston to Kirkliston and the X25 is only Blackridge to Broxburn with no sign of the X23 returning!
Hoping this is just Covid related or is it death by a thousand cuts? Already it isn’t possible to get a First bus back to Livingston from Edinburgh after 21:30 which isn’t very useful these days.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Hoping this is just Covid related or is it death by a thousand cuts. Already it isn’t possible to get a First bus back to Livingston from Edinburgh after 21:30 which isn’t very useful these days.

We're beyond Level 0 now so...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Hoping this is just Covid related or is it death by a thousand cuts? Already it isn’t possible to get a First bus back to Livingston from Edinburgh after 21:30 which isn’t very useful these days.
It's because of drivers having to self isolate, they're still experiencing shortages. Hence changes at such short notice. It's not included in the new timetables but the X38 was meant to be going down to half hourly from the 6th of September for the same reason, unless there's been a change of plan.

It's because of drivers having to self isolate, they're still experiencing shortages. Hence changes at such short notice. It's not included in the new timetables but the X38 was meant to be going down to half hourly from the 6th of September for the same reason, unless there's been a change of plan.
Aye, this is similar to the Lothian Buses situation.

overthewater

Established Member

Will people actually notice the cuts? The buses are bad enough running in and out of Edinburgh with Fresh air at times,

If you look at the "Export as CSV" You will see "TEMPORARY VARIATION - COVID 19"

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Will people actually notice the cuts? The buses are bad enough running in and out of Edinburgh with Fresh air at times,
I'm sure the Kirkliston Locals who've never used the service they complain about will have something to say... I'm surprised the 600 hasn't been dropped down to hourly.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Where should we be looking for this?
Presumably @overthewater is referring to the bus service registrations search function on the VOSA website.

Alternatively the same information can be viewed on bustimes.org. For example (relevant section in bold):

#ReceivedEffective dateStatusDetailsPublication text
3425 Mar 215 Apr 21ExpiredTEMPORARY VARIATION - COVID 19
SERVICE RETURNING TO PRE COVID LEVELS
Operating between Stirling (Bus Station) and Falkirk (Bus Station or Forth Valley College) or Linlithgow Cross given service number X38 effective from 05 April 2021. To amend Timetable.

FredH

You can get the X22 at 22:24, which usually only picks up a couple of people at most. And the X25 at 21:56.

Volvodart

Established Member
It's not included in the new timetables but the X38 was meant to be going down to half hourly from the 6th of September for the same reason, unless there's been a change of plan.

Timetables are now online, you were correct and the 38 goes down to every 20 minutes.

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/south-ea...s/planned-changes/revised-services-monday-6th

From Monday 6th September 2021 revised timetables will operate on the following services.

Revised timetables can be found in the "forthcoming" tab.

West Lothian:

Service 21Reduce to 60 min frequency between Bathgate & Whitburn
Click here to view timetable by searching in forthcoming section.
Service 600 Revised to operate between Kirkliston & Livingston terminal, travel between Livingston Terminal & Whitburn still available on service X22, however the Heartlands area of Whitburn will not be served.
Service X25 All journeys will now terminate at Broxburn, travel to Edinburgh is still available on service X24.

Falkirk:​

Service 38Revised to operate every 20 minutes.
Click here to view timetable.
Service X38Revised to operate every 30 minutes.
Click here to view timetable.
For the latest timetable information please click here and search forthcoming section tab.

The above services will operate the temporary frequency changes to free up driver resource in order to continue to deliver a more reliable and comprehensive offering of services to the wider network.

Last edited:

gka472l

Is there another unofficial tracking sites for First Scotland East? This one doesn't work any more.

Off topic for Scotland but it's also of note that First doesn't track in Wales either although did briefly....perhaps the open data rules only apply in England??? (although Stagecoach, Arriva, McGills all track in Scotland/Wales....)

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.