• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

Was there not also the 10 around that period. Same route as the current X18?
Sorry yes the 10 ran to Broxburn originally from Bathgate (possibly Whitburn?) then it got extended to Edinburgh via Corstorphine and also an X10 was created. They both became the 20/X20 later on.

I admit I haven't known the network around West Lothian until the last 2-3 years but reading the responses its pretty tragic how much the network has declined to what it is now and in reality First need to make more cuts because of the cancellations but don't seem to be in any rush to actually do it. Not the only area that will apply to mind you
It is a shame although most of the other buses were only weekday peak routes. I think that there is more services now than there ever was if you include all bus operators.

cammyeaston

Does anyone have a list of all of the StreetLites with First Scotland East that have Daimler engines?

In that time period the 12/X12/16/X16/X23/X24 all went to Edinburgh City Centre via Broxburn and Corstorphine :)
I don't remember an X23/X24 at the same time as the 12/16 etc.

I remember a 10/12/16 and X variants of those alongside the 27/28, X variants of those, then a 427 as well for early morning journeys. Also there were peak runs X25, X26, X31, X32 and X33. I also remember a 5N/8N night bus from the early noughties as well and an EX1 and EX2.

Plenty memories from standing in Calder Road heading to school.

stevenedin

I do remember the 10, it was a fast route from Bathgate to Edinburgh as you say following the current X18 route and IIRC they went onto Whitburn so you’re probably right there.

Where did they go onto in West Lothian? I remember X30-33 numbered routes aswell on the bus stop flags but those might have been via Sighthill
The 12/X12 started at Whitburn via Blackburn, Seafield, Eliburn, Newyearfield Roundabout, St John’s Hospital then Howden and the 16/X16 started at Bathgate but went via Deans, Newyearfield Roundabout and I think it turned left towards Ladywell.

On a Sunday the 12 or 16 never operated and they just operated as a 212 along the 12 route but it served Uphall Station and Pumpherston.

In the evenings the 12 only operated from Whitburn to Livingston and the 16 operated as a 216.

The X23 and X24 started at Deans and I know that the X23 went via Edinburgh Park business park. The 10 also did at some point too.

The X26 ran Fauldhouse to Edinburgh via Livingston (I think just Lizzie Brice)

X25 was the old 29 which ran similar to the current X22 now.

X32 ran Edinburgh to Deans via Gorgie, Sighthill, A71

X33 was similar to the X32 but it continued on to serve the fast links and somehow ended up in Fauldhouse?

X

I don't remember an X23/X24 at the same time as the 12/16 etc.

I remember a 10/12/16 and X variants of those alongside the 27/28, X variants of those, then a 427 as well for early morning journeys. Also there were peak runs X25, X26, X31, X32 and X33. I also remember a 5N/8N night bus from the early noughties as well and an EX1 and EX2.

Plenty memories from standing in Calder Road heading to school.
I remember the early morning 427 it ran Livingston to Edinburgh then Edinburgh to Bathgate (or the other way around)

Also the 428. I think it ran Bathgate to Livingston via Kirkton Campus (I could be wrong)

Then there was an early morning 9A to Oakbank Industrial Estate from Livingston somewhere.

DunsBus

Established Member
What routes/ era are you most interested in?

I'm sure some on here could fill in the gaps for you

To get the ball rolling (and deal with a gap in my memories), I'm not sure what daytime (SMT/ Eastern Scottish) services from Livingston to Edinburgh there were along the A8 in the era before LRT introduced the 63

The 63 came along in the very early 1990s (Livingston - Broxburn - South Gyle - Princes Street - Brunstane) - a route partly competing with the Edinburgh Transport 333 from Brunstane to the Gyle - removed in the 1994 "truce" between the two operators, when they both coincidently withdrew from much of each other's territory at the same time (LRT coming out of South Queensferry etc, Eastern removing a few of their "City Sprinter" services)

There were certainly frequent Eastern Scottish services from Livingston to Edinburgh along the A71 (the 271/281 became the 27/28, later the D27/D28) and frequent Eastern Scottish services from Broxburn into Edinburgh (the 16/17/18 ran along the A8 from Bathgate into Edinburgh, each serving different villages west of Bathgate) - there was briefly a half hourly Bathgate - Broxburn - Princes Street - Leith - Lochend service that was something like the 16B, intended to hit back at the LRT 64 that ran along the A8

But the only SMT/ Eastern Scottish services that I remember running from Livingston to the Broxburn area either terminated there or at the Gyle (in the case of the 284) - I don't remember any SMT/ Eastern Scottish services going all the way into Edinburgh (from Pumpherston etc) until the rationalisation that saw the 16 diverted that way (as the ScotRail services made the bus struggle - only with the Lothian X18 have buses really fought back on this corridor)

There was then the 12/16 every fifteen minutes from Livingston to Edinburgh along the A8, plus the shorter lived X22/X24 and other subsequent services - the "via Broxburn" route seems to be as high profile as the "via Sighthill" route - maybe this is because of new housing on the north east side of Livingston which has made a bus service more justifiable, I don't know, but I've no memory of any daytime SMT/ Eastern Scottish services from Livingston along the A8 into Edinburgh before the "bus wars" (maybe there were a couple of journeys a day on the 284 corridor - various service numbers in the two hundred and seventy something region combined to a half hourly corridor from west of Lothian to Broxburn but I don't remember any of them running into central Edinburgh during the daytime)
The 63 briefly served Whitburn prior to the LRT/SMT truce being declared. As I recall, LRT's 9/9A/X9, 64/X64 and 79/X79 all came off, with the 18 and 63 both truncated to run wholly within Edinburgh. The SMT City Sprinter services that went were the C1, C11, C23 and C27.

Stef434

The 12/X12 started at Whitburn via Blackburn, Seafield, Eliburn, Newyearfield Roundabout, St John’s Hospital then Howden and the 16/X16 started at Bathgate but went via Deans, Newyearfield Roundabout and I think it turned left towards Ladywell.

On a Sunday the 12 or 16 never operated and they just operated as a 212 along the 12 route but it served Uphall Station and Pumpherston.

In the evenings the 12 only operated from Whitburn to Livingston and the 16 operated as a 216.

The X23 and X24 started at Deans and I know that the X23 went via Edinburgh Park business park. The 10 also did at some point too.

The X26 ran Fauldhouse to Edinburgh via Livingston (I think just Lizzie Brice)

X25 was the old 29 which ran similar to the current X22 now.

X32 ran Edinburgh to Deans via Gorgie, Sighthill, A71

X33 was similar to the X32 but it continued on to serve the fast links and somehow ended up in Fauldhouse?

X

I remember the early morning 427 it ran Livingston to Edinburgh then Edinburgh to Bathgate (or the other way around)

Also the 428. I think it ran Bathgate to Livingston via Kirkton Campus (I could be wrong)

Then there was an early morning 9A to Oakbank Industrial Estate from Livingston somewhere.
your memory is spot on ,i remember the 11 went from Edinburgh pk to Harthill, the 16 from Edin to Armadale, throw in the 5&6 circulars i think.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It seems like that's another depot with the app cancellation feature. I noticed services on the 26 and 600 showing as cancelled earlier. I just hope they always use it to be fair. It seems like for the 51/52 etc it is only used in the evening and then it is down to people having Twitter to catch the rest of the day cancellations

stevenedin

The app wasn’t working for West Lothian First services yesterday. I took a trip and out of 5 buses I got 4 never turned up and I had to use Lothian Country that was after buying a First Day Ticket.

I can see why people living in West Lothian are frustrated. First are not doing themselves any favours. I’m not First bashing but they need to improve as it’s difficult for people to gain trust in them if they aren’t reliable.

I have a PDF copy of the Spring 2007 Timetable booklet, i've uploaded it on to OneDrive along with a network map from 2009 which can be viewed here.
Thanks for this :) it’s really interesting and I remember them all. I forgot about the 418 etc as well. I wonder what happened to the B1 Broxburn town service. I noticed that there is a route showing there now stating Handicabs. I take it this is a taxi now?

overthewater

Established Member
Thanks for this :) it’s really interesting and I remember them all. I forgot about the 418 etc as well. I wonder what happened to the B1 Broxburn town service. I noticed that there is a route showing there now stating Handicabs. I take it this is a taxi now?

The B1 AKA 2A/2B is council tender bus service running every hour, They did use a low floor mini bus on the route: https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/broxburn-uphall-town-bus

PaulMc7

Established Member
Again this morning on the app 1 26 and 1 600 showing as cancelled so they definitely do have the ability to use it. It does strike me as poor though that all of the day's cancellations are not added very early in the day.

Ever since I noticed a 51, 52 and an X10 showing as cancelled too there hasn't been any other bus showing as cancelled since either. You'd think to at least alert customers it would be the most up to date thing showing all cancellations but I can definitely see why people would switch away if basic customer service isn't even on show.

Volvodart

Established Member
They are also detailing the cancellations on the First website for the whole day, which is another good step.

PaulMc7

Established Member
They are also detailing the cancellations on the First website for the whole day, which is another good step.
Just where the Twitter feed is shared on the site or somewhere else?

Nevermind I've found it. It's actually a good step in the right direction to be fair. If the app follows then at least people can plan either way

Last edited:

JurassicMan

Expect changes to West Lothian network from Monday 6/6/2022

A further reduction in services to alleviate Driver issues and staff retention.

Not sure there are many more cuts left to FSE in West Lothian

PaulMc7

Established Member
Expect changes to West Lothian network from Monday 6/6/2022

A further reduction in services to alleviate Driver issues and staff retention.

Not sure there are many more cuts left to FSE in West Lothian
Can they even cut it enough with what is available to make sure things run okay?

Registrations on VOSA for some services from Monday now

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Changes appear to be no 26A, 21 cut to Bathgate to Livingston apart from first and last 2 journeys, X25 now half hourly Blackridge to Livingston.

JurassicMan

Changes are roughly

Service 21 will only operate LIVINGSTON CENTRE - BATHGATE Hourly service, no longer extending to WHITBURN

Service x25 now operates every 30 mins from BLACKRIDGE TO LIVINGSTON , via HONEYMAN COURT

Service 26A WITHDRAWN ,ALL 26 operate via LOGANLEA SQUARE

By rough calculations that would save around 10 duties per day Monday - Saturday

Thanks I found it. It’s strange that they never advertised it on their news page.
Its First Scotland East they will advertise as late as possible :)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could everyone remember to include links to your sources where these are publicly available on the internet? You should also quote the relevant section, using quote tags.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Changes are roughly

Service 21 will only operate LIVINGSTON CENTRE - BATHGATE Hourly service, no longer extending to WHITBURN

Service x25 now operates every 30 mins from BLACKRIDGE TO LIVINGSTON , via HONEYMAN COURT

Service 26A WITHDRAWN ,ALL 26 operate via LOGANLEA SQUARE

By rough calculations that would save around 10 duties per day Monday - Saturday

Its First Scotland East they will advertise as late as possible :)
With that it'll make a dent in the issues but how much of one remains to be seen. I wonder when the rest of the network in Stirling/Falkirk etc will follow suit because it is badly needed

The 26 recently has had 3 buses in a row missing on quite a few occasions so I'd imagine that plays a part in that to be fair. The 26 and 600 seem to get hammered the most with cancellations
The X24 is up there too, the last X24s of the evenings are usually nonexistent.

stevenedin

Due to ongoing driver recruitment establishment issues, our timetables for the services below are being revised from June 6th 2022.

Service 26/26a reduced from its current 15 min frequency to every 30 mins between Livingston north Station-Fauldhouse-Bathgate. All remaining journeys will be diverted to serve Loganlea Click here for the new timetable from June 6th 2022.
Service X25 reduced from its current 15 min frequency to every 30 mins Livingston Terminal – Blackridge, all remaining journeys will operate via Drove Road in both directions. Click here for the new timetable from June 6th 2022.
Service X24 on a Sunday will be suspended, any current X24 journeys on a Sunday which continued through to Edinburgh will be retained as a service X25 journey. Click here for the new timetable from June 6th 2022.
Service 21 will be curtailed to operate Livingston terminal – Bathgate on its current frequency. Click here for the new timetable from June 6th 2022.
For ongoing service update, please follow us on Twitter, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.