• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
There are photos of 63252 on Flickr from October, so it is not quite a year in its case.

There are photos of 63252 on Flickr from October, so it is not quite a year in its case.
Ive relised i made a mistake in my original Question i ment SN65 OKV and not SN65 OKS.

I thought i hadn't seen SN65 OKS for a while aswell, for a while i though their 65 plates had went somewhere else

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It’s been almost a month since First took over the 20,63,68, how well do you think each service is doing during the change?

I’m curious about the 63 since its extension to Balerno, hopefully it’s provided an easier link to Balerno to Gyle

Auld reekie

It’s been almost a month since First took over the 20,63,68, how well do you think each service is doing during the change?

I’m curious about the 63 since its extension to Balerno, hopefully it’s provided an easier link to Balerno to Gyle
I’ve used it a few times from Balerno and and there has been 4 or 5 people on the bus.
It’s a pleasant journey to South Queensferry.
Hopefully with an increase in frequency The numbers will improve.
To be fair I think it’s unfortunate this service has come out during Covid-19 as I know some people that are still reluctant to use the bus service.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A few enthusiasts have complained about the 68 running late however practically every time i look at the vehicle tracking it's on time or at most a few minutes late, there was only 1 occasion i've seen a few weeks back where it was running more than 5 minutes late however i believe that was down to traffic at the time. 43861 seems quite reliable having operated it pretty much every day for the past month.

In terms of allocation the 20/63 are mostly only full length Streetlites now. The 6324x examples along along with 63185-88 being the most common. The Ex-Hampshire B7RLEs tend to mostly be on the X22 and 26/26A

Are the First B7RLEs different from the Lothian ones (other than seats)? I'm sure they sound different but I haven't been on one from either company for a while so I could just be mis-remembering.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Lothian's have Voith gearboxes whereas First's have ZF Ecomats.

I imagine there are a few other differences, but couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Are the First B7RLEs different from the Lothian ones (other than seats)? I'm sure they sound different but I haven't been on one from either company for a while so I could just be mis-remembering.

Yes, First's all have the far superior ZF Ecomat Gearbox whereas Lothians (Except the now disposed Ex-Fastracks) are Voith.

B7RLEs use different engines depending on age, Euro 3 examples (ones with one side facing seat behind the cab) use Volvos own D7C engine which is an evolution of the same engine used in the Ailsa. While Euro 4/5 examples (one forward facing seat on either side over the front wheels) use the Deutz developed D7E-290 engine. Another way to distinguish them is that Euro 3s have a rear emergency exit while Euro 4 onwards have a centre one.

scosutsut

Yes, First's all have the far superior ZF Ecomat Gearbox whereas Lothians (Except the now disposed Ex-Fastracks) are Voith.

B7RLEs use different engines depending on age, Euro 3 examples (ones with one side facing seat behind the cab) use Volvos own D7C engine which is an evolution of the same engine used in the Ailsa. While Euro 4/5 examples (one forward facing seat on either side over the front wheels) use the Deutz developed D7E-290 engine. Another way to distinguish them is that Euro 3s have a rear emergency exit while Euro 4 onwards have a centre one.
Really interesting detail, thanks for sharing that. I did wonder why the emergency exit seemed to vary, it didn't seem directly linked to Wright Eclipse body type - that will explain why!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Really interesting detail, thanks for sharing that. I did wonder why the emergency exit seemed to vary, it didn't seem directly linked to Wright Eclipse body type - that will explain why!

The reason for the move was due to changes in new build regulations, that's why the position of the exit moved on most single deckers between 2007 and 2010, the logic being that the centre position gives a wheelchair user a better chance of getting out in a roll over situation.

There was actually far more changes on the B7RLE/Wrights in 2005-9 but many of them are superficial and things you wouldn't notice unless they were pointed out. For example the floor design towards the rear is entirely different post 2007 due to structural issues on earlier examples, examples built on 07 plates have a smaller radiator grill on the nearside etc.

scosutsut

The reason for the move was due to changes in new build regulations, that's why the position of the exit moved on most single deckers between 2007 and 2010, the logic being that the centre position gives a wheelchair user a better chance of getting out in a roll over situation.

There was actually far more changes on the B7RLE/Wrights in 2005-9 but many of them are superficial and things you wouldn't notice unless they were pointed out. For example the floor design towards the rear is entirely different post 2007 due to structural issues on earlier examples, examples built on 07 plates have a smaller radiator grill on the nearside etc.
You see so many of them you don't stop to notice I guess. In my case at least!

Baileygirl

A few enthusiasts have complained about the 68 running late however practically every time i look at the vehicle tracking it's on time or at most a few minutes late, there was only 1 occasion i've seen a few weeks back where it was running more than 5 minutes late however i believe that was down to traffic at the time. 43861 seems quite reliable having operated it pretty much every day for the past month.

In terms of allocation the 20/63 are mostly only full length Streetlites now. The 6324x examples along along with 63185-88 being the most common. The Ex-Hampshire B7RLEs tend to mostly be on the X22 and 26/26A
I was on the 68 today and it left the Gyle 15 min late. Its due to badly parked cars and delivery vans around Clermiston. Whilst speaking to the change over driver he said that they even need to knock on doors at times to get them moved. If the bus I was on was bigger than the dart the driver would have had a problem as he had inches to get round several vehicles which were parked on both sides of the narrow roads.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I was on the 68 today and it left the Gyle 15 min late. Its due to badly parked cars and delivery vans around Clermiston. Whilst speaking to the change over driver he said that they even need to knock on doors at times to get them moved. If the bus I was on was bigger than the dart the driver would have had a problem as he had inches to get round several vehicles which were parked on both sides of the narrow roads.

What's the issues with extreme late running on the 63? I've had people approach me at the Gyle on my routes asking about where their bus is etc - sometimes it's been up to an hour late.

Is it lack of running time or other issues? I'm not criticising First I'm just curious as it's not just me that has been approached by people at the Gyle about the 63.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
What's the issues with extreme late running on the 63? I've had people approach me at the Gyle on my routes asking about where their bus is etc - sometimes it's been up to an hour late.

Is it lack of running time or other issues? I'm not criticising First I'm just curious as it's not just me that has been approached by people at the Gyle about the 63.
Could these passengers be using the wrong timetable perhaps? Just a thought....

overthewater

Established Member
Could these passengers be using the wrong timetable perhaps? Just a thought....

The timetable is pretty match the same as Lothian, on top of that they get 10min layover at balerno. How can buses be hour late if its every 40mins?

lastbus

The timetable is pretty match the same as Lothian, on top of that they get 10min layover at balerno. How can buses be hour late if its every 40mins?
The buses have never been 1 hour late. As has been said it’s a 40 min frequency.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The buses have never been 1 hour late. As has been said it’s a 40 min frequency.

There was a number of people waiting for the 1730 from the Gyle at 1820 earlier on this week. Speaking to them they said it's a regular issue, was just wondering why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There was a number of people waiting for the 1730 from the Gyle at 1820 earlier on this week. Speaking to them they said it's a regular issue, was just wondering why.

Presumably the 17:31 run towards Balerno? Can't speak for earlier in the week as i never checked but the 17:31 63 did run on time tonight. I can't understand how it would be late given the bus gets 15 minutes layover at Queensferry. The 17:28 to Queensferry was also on time.

overthewater

Established Member
Firstly there is no 17.30 from the Gyle, there is 17.28 So... if people are coming out at 17.30 they will have mist it, so we have to get this point sorted first?

The Journey in Question either comes from the depot or is sitting in Balerno for 35mins. They is hugh buffer?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Firstly there is no 17.30 from the Gyle, there is 17.28 So... if people are coming out at 17.30 they will have mist it, so we have to get this point sorted first?

The Journey in Question either comes from the depot or is sitting in Balerno for 35mins. They is hugh buffer?

May I direct you towards the timetable;

Screenshot_20201001_220202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.