• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makes so much sense to split this service.

Been up and down on the route, when it was a 38 years ago and when it became an X38 and done a few runs Stirling to Edinburgh and found it very relaxing- but also very long winded and you can end up with a numb bum! I've also been on the route a few times Falkirk-Edinburgh and Linlithgow to Edinburgh to see what the situation was like when LCB came along.

The busier bit has always been Stirling to Linlithgow.

Which is odd as you would think the bit from Linlithgow to Edinburgh would be the busiest bit!

Very few people going from Falkirk to beyond Linlithgow.

I always thought they would keep it the way they ran it for a while, 15 minutes Stirling to Lithgy and 30 to Edinburgh as that met the demand that I saw, but of course that all changed when the Green and Cream came along.

I would have thought the X38 would have experienced a few more bums on seats when ScotRail changed the Stirling to Edinburgh trains to miss out Polmont and Linlithgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
They have been looking at this idea for years & years and no one could ever agree to split ot not to split, I just never believe there was that much crosstown traffic. First must have decided this is the best time if ever to see if a spilt can work, if not who going to care? they can just blame Covid and rejoin at some point. I think it will work out for the best.

The Winchburgh side is still growing and growing and so First has to steady the ship as its a waiting game, until it become a fully built but every day it gets closer. However it must be noted that X38 were running full at times when it operated every 30mins and was badly overcrowded on Saturday mornings..

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
heard they’re on loan for the 38/X38 but unsure how credible that is

Former Arriva London VLW117/118
Ex Arriva DW115/116 - VLWs are Volvo B7TLs IIRC

I'd assume they are too as buying DAFs would be a big departure from their standard types (apart from the Bright Bus open topper(s)). Either way, interesting vehicles even if they are only temporary.

Are other vehicles being prepared from another region of First while these stand in? At a guess there must be plenty of spare B7TLs knocking about with all the new vehicles they've had in Bristol recently.

I’d guess that needs must and that these might be on loan from BASE?

The Bristol Gemini B7TLs went to Kernow (save a few to Essex) to replace Tridents, of which a number have been hired back to Kernow (from the dealer who bought them) for additional schools work or to cover for e400mmc sent away providing extra capacity on Hinckley Point work.

Bristol’s ALX400 B7TLs were either pre-sold to Ensign (some appearing with indies) or have been sent to Kernow as well (again as above) whilst others have stayed in Bristol/Bath for additional capacity on certain routes especially the University services. In short, there’s none spare!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'd assume they are too as buying DAFs would be a big departure from their standard types (apart from the Bright Bus open topper(s)). Either way, interesting vehicles even if they are only temporary.

Are other vehicles being prepared from another region of First while these stand in? At a guess there must be plenty of spare B7TLs knocking about with all the new vehicles they've had in Bristol recently.

Indeed they're just on loan. The BBT DAFs have been converted to Cummins so fairly common still.

7 of Aberdeens Geminis are due to be moving to Glasgow soon, although these are expected to allow for the withdrawal of the Ex-London ALX400s.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I just hope they DAFs aren't the 3 speed Voith version. The ones McGill's got from the Arriva batch of LJ05 DAFs were horrendously slow.

Observer

Still sitting there today when I passed the place. Knowing First you'd think they'd slip them out on other services so get the wheels turning. Unless they're still waiting for something like getting wired up for ticket machines?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Still sitting there today when I passed the place. Knowing First you'd think they'd slip them out on other services so get the wheels turning. Unless they're still waiting for something like getting wired up for ticket machines?

They only arrived yesterday, they'll need to do mechanical check over, program displays and fit ticket machines etc before sending them out.

overthewater

Established Member
Its possible the may end up on the Fife school runs, and with stock used on that being place on the 38s?

stantheman

On Moderation
Drove past the Balerno terminus a wee while ago and noticed a First bus parked up ...63 is said not to operate on Sunday ?

Volvodart

Established Member
Another two white loanees have turned up, this time ALX400s similar to the ones on loan with First Kernow.

Observer

Its possible the may end up on the Fife school runs, and with stock used on that being place on the 38s?
Do they fit the age limit? Chances are the loans will just be thrown on services the 55-plates usually get put on. I haven't seen any of the loaned deckers in use yet but they have moved about.

overthewater

Established Member
Do they fit the age limit? Chances are the loans will just be thrown on services the 55-plates usually get put on. I haven't seen any of the loaned deckers in use yet but they have moved about.

Yes Fife Schools went up to 18 years to help keep cost down so 15plates in use now should be able to see out tenders.

What services are these on?
If not schools then surly 38?
############################################################################
Due to merger no one will see this.

Stirling Council has a number of council tenders up for grabs for NEXT February (you have to wonder why West lothian council cant move faster)

Tenders do not included park n Rides, but do cover the X10, X10A, C30, C48 and C60.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
From what I saw it looked it one side only had a single row of seats near the front. Have the got less capacity than Eclipses normally have?

Yes, they seat 41 instead of 44.

Yes they have. 6 or 7 of them came up over lockdown, primarily for Livingston but a couple appear to have landed with Midland.

The ones at Midland were for the increases to the 51 and X53, although they are reported to be moving to West Lothian once some B7RLEs are freed from Glasgow.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
From what I saw it looked it one side only had a single row of seats near the front. Have the got less capacity than Eclipses normally have?

Well spotted. They are 41 seaters. Originally new for ZIP services in Portsmouth and then refurbished after they were displaced to Southampton by Streetlites. They got eLeather and wood effect flooring IIRC. I have been on a couple of them grinding around Southampton and they were quite nice.

overthewater

Established Member
The ones at Midland were for the increases to the 51 and X53, although they are reported to be moving to West Lothian once some B7RLEs are freed from Glasgow.

X53 is interworked with the F16, so it seems that bus can turn up anywhere. They have appeared on the X38.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
X53 is interworked with the F16, so it seems that bus can turn up anywhere. They have appeared on the X38.

Indeed, i didn't mean that the B7RLEs were specifically for the 51 and X53, but rather that they were to facilitate the PVR increase.

FORTHCOMING CHANGES COMMENCING Monday 2nd November 2020.

Services: X22, X23, X24, X25 and 600
X22 Shotts to Edinburgh via Whitburn, Livingston and East Calder
Revised Timetable, now serves St John's Hospital
X23 Deans to Edinburgh via Livingston, Mid Calder and East Calder
X24 Deans to Edinburgh via Livingston, Pumpherston and Broxburn
Revised Timetable
X25 Blackridge/Armadale to Edinburgh via Bathgate, Deans, Livingston and Broxburn
600 Whitburn to Kirkliston via Blackburn, Livingston, Broxburn and Winchburgh

Timetable Downloads
Services X22 and X23
Monday - Friday Timetable from 02/11/2020
https://www.firstgroup.com/south-ea...X22/X23&routeid=4955292&operator=25&print=pdf
Saturday Timetable from 07/11/2020
Sunday Timetable from 08/11/2020

Services X24 and X25
Sunday Timetable from 08/11/2020

Service 600
Sunday Timetable 08/11/2020

Link to all forthcoming changes

Last edited:
The X22, X23, X25 & 600 now serve St John's Hospital.
Sorry i didn't notice that ill edit my post from earlier thank you. :)

Edit: Its quite stupid that the X24 doesn't serve St John's Hospital, they might as well have put that througj the Hospital, I dont know its just my opinion.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Strangely the new forthcoming timetables have been removed from the First website.... "Admin Error" strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.