• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotrail trainee conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisdmadd

Yeah mate 10:30. Looking forward to it but a little nervous about the pre questionnaire. Also not sure how much I'll grasp the dials. All the practice material seemed a bit too easy.

Just gonna keep practicing dots and a bit more physics!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimrbrobinson

I know what you mean Chris - the practice stuff seemed that way to me, too, though I remember thinking that about the RAF ones I did years ago, then got paranoid that I'd missed something and they'd be harder on the day (which they were to some degree) but I got through then and hopefully will do now. Best of luck if I don't get to see you on the day. I've been reading up on the Class 170 and 185 just out of interest, and they look like good units to me. Can't honestly remember if I've travelled on either, but guess I must have done! :D

chrisdmadd

Well assessment day over!

Hopefully can relax now. Just a waiting game now.

I didn't think it was all too bad.

Just depends on how well everyone else did.

Some poor kid got the heave ho after 5 mins!!

The 158 Man

Some poor kid got the heave ho after 5 mins!!

Was that from todays morning session in Manchester? If so, I believe the 'poor kid' chose to leave because he hadn't had the practice materials sent to him by TPE, thus putting him at a disadvantage to the other candidates (apart from me; I'm hopeless). ;)

jimrbrobinson

How many of you in the morning then? There were 17 of us in the afternoon. Personally I think the 'dots' are harder than the practice one with letters, though didn't feel the 'dials' were too bad, considering there was a lot more to take into consideration that practice material. Feel like it went well though so just got to wait and see and hope for the call-back for the rest - or not as the case may be. Best of luck to all who took part.

The 158 Man

Hopefully that guy will be invited back:|

You would like to think so. :|

How many of you in the morning then? There were 17 of us in the afternoon. Personally I think the 'dots' are harder than the practice one with letters, though didn't feel the 'dials' were too bad, considering there was a lot more to take into consideration that practice material. Feel like it went well though so just got to wait and see and hope for the call-back for the rest - or not as the case may be. Best of luck to all who took part.

There was about 20 of us I think. I personally find the 'dots' on paper easier to do than the dots on the PC, but that's just me. At first, I couldn't understand what the hell was going on with the 'dials', but once I'd fully understood the myraid of instructions I was ok. Got about 3/4 of them done I think. :|

I think my mechanical side of things will let me down this time. I'm not expecting to be called back that's for sure! :(

Good luck to you though Jim, and indeed anyone else who's still in the running. Fingers crossed for you all! :)

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

Was that from todays morning session in Manchester? If so, I believe the 'poor kid' chose to leave because he hadn't had the practice materials sent to him by TPE, thus putting him at a disadvantage to the other candidates (apart from me; I'm hopeless). ;)

Ah well hope he gets invited back, I'm pretty sure I heard her say I've got your test results here, can we have a chat outside.....

None of our business anyway I just found it a bit of a wake up call when one didn't even get to the tests.

I found the mech comp let me down because I took to long on a few, the dots I got 3/4 of the way down but I know to well that's it's about accuracy, the passage I was worried about but think I did fine with and the dials I remember getting to 31, I found them easy but could never have finished them!

Do you guys know on the two tests that they say your not punished for a wrong answer, would it be worth blind guessing the rest?
Good day had anyway. Good luck all

Last edited:

The 158 Man

I found the mech comp let me down because I took to long on a few, the dots I got 3/4 of the way down but I know to well that's it's about accuracy, the passage I was worried about but think I did fine with and the dials I remember getting to 31, I found them easy but could never have finished them!

The mech comp let me down because I'm crap at it! :lol:

Yeah there was far too many dials to have completed them all in the time given. What was it, 8 minutes for 43 dials? :o Anyway, I think I did ok on those. It certainly helped me to have that scrap paper there so I could scribble the letters down in the right order before deciding which letter (i.e A, B, C or D) it was, if that makes sense. We'll see! :|

Do you guys know on the two tests that they say your not punished for a wrong answer, would it be worth blind guessing the rest?

Good day had anyway. Good luck all

Yeah I think the idea is that you're supposed to 'have a go', but try to avoid 'wild guessing.' Of course, the problem is, if you don't have a clue which one's right then you have to have a wild/blind guess! :p

chrisdmadd

The best and easiest way of doing it is to look at the lowest and the highest dial only.

Eg,

P H C L

Say, H is lowest and C is highest

Look at your multiple choice answers and on most instances there is only one of the 4 that has H first and C last.

Hopefully you see what I mean. It saves you looking at the middle two dials.

The 158 Man

The best and easiest way of doing it is to look at the lowest and the highest dial only.

Eg,

P H C L

Say, H is lowest and C is highest

Look at your multiple choice answers and on most instances there is only one of the 4 that has H first and C last.

Hopefully you see what I mean. It saves you looking at the middle two dials.

Yeah that's what I was doing. ;)

jimrbrobinson

I was coming in as you were all leaving I think, in the blue RNLI overcoat just outside the double doors as you all came piling out. Must say, you all seemed to come out looking pretty cool - not as frazzled as I would have expected! :) Anyway, I sat in the Post Room and had a coffee and chatted to some of the others as they arrived. Really nice group of people from what I saw, shame to think that some may not get through, myself included!!

The 158 Man

Where were you sat anyway?

I was very front left

I was sat at the very back on the same table as the pretty young woman*. I was the young guy with the black suit, white shirt and purple tie. ;)

* Turns out me and her are cousins! :o

I was coming in as you were all leaving I think, in the blue RNLI overcoat just outside the double doors as you all came piling out. Must say, you all seemed to come out looking pretty cool - not as frazzled as I would have expected! :) Anyway, I sat in the Post Room and had a coffee and chatted to some of the others as they arrived. Really nice group of people from what I saw, shame to think that some may not get through, myself included!!

I was going to help myself to the complimentary coffee, but then realised I don't drink it! :lol:

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

Got my interview next week!

Just hope I do well at putting my points across.

Phew.... No time to relax though gotta swat up this weekend.

chrisdmadd

An e-mail late on Friday. Was nearly 6pm when I got it, I was surprised.

Monday will be when the rest are dished out id imagine though.

The 158 Man

Congratulations Chris. :)

I'm getting more and more depressed about this whole thing by the day. :cry:

jimrbrobinson

Sorry to hear that 158. :( If you and your group were anything like as pleasant as the people I was with in the afternoon, I wanted everyone to get through!! :D Hope you'll be going for it again in the future, but best wishes in whatever you do.

chrisdmadd

Chris, is you interview in York??? I've just received email this morning inviting me for interview on Thursday in York. :D Woo-hooooooo (or whatever the diesel or electric equivalent sound is!) :D

Well done mate.

I had to change mine to friday and strangely im now being interviewed in Manchester!

Best of luck,

158 Im sorry to hear it. I hope you can resit and get in right second time round.

Gutted for you.... Chin up.

jimrbrobinson

Oh well, that's the structured interview done, and now another waiting game to see what the outcome is. Still, also enjoyed a very nice day-out in York into the bargain, and had a jolly good look around the National Rail Museum, which has changed (for the better) a LOT since I was last there about 20 years ago!! :D Good luck for tomorrow to Chrisdmadd!!

chrisdmadd

Thanks again matey.

Ill be sure to post how i do.

Praying it goes well.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well that's my interview done!

Went well I think so just got to wait a few weeks now.

If I don't get it I did my best!

Were two nice driver managers from blackpool and Manchester.

Good luck all still to interview
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi guys I didn't get the job.

Failed at the interview stage.

I really thought I did well too.

Last edited:

jimrbrobinson

I'm really sorry to hear that Chris. :( I haven't heard anything yet - well, no email as at 2 minutes ago. I felt my interview went well too, so I'm waiting on tenterhooks now! How did they let you know? Was it email or phone?

I will, of course, keep you informed if and when I hear anything either way. Hopefully, if you have another go in six months, you'll get through as you now know what's involved. All the best for the future. Best wishes anyway.

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

It was an e-mail, I can't beieve how quick it happened it was 11am when I left the interview room Friday and 10am Monday I have a big no! It sounds like I made a big error but I have an idea of what they were looking for and I honestly think I did pretty well.

Never mind maybe I did make a big error or maybe it's just not my time.

Cheers again guys

chrisdmadd

Cheers man,

im due feedback from the interviewing manager so i might get that this week or i may never hear from them again haha.

jimrbrobinson

Always a good idea to get feedback. I was amazed last few times I did recruitment and selection at work how few people asked for feedback - in fact last time, the only one who did ask for any feedback was the successful applicant!

Status
Not open for further replies.