• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Class 33

Established Member
I was walking through Kingsdown this morning at about 8:40. Seen a Southbound 77 going past me. Was then amazed to see just barely a minute later, another Southbound 77! Bearing in mind it's only an hourly service, one of those 77's I saw was running VERY late! One is scheduled to depart Thornbury at 0700, and the one before that is scheduled to depart Westbury at 0700!

Seen a similar thing happened again this morning. Walking down Cheltenham road about 8:25. Seen a Soutbound 77. Then just a couple of minutes later, a second Southbound 77! When I saw that second 77 again at The Haymarket, I note that it was empty. How one of those 77's was running about an hour late I do not know!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Decker (either 32011 or 32012) on the 17 in Keynsham lunchtime today and 65725 on 265 in Bath this evening.

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to the Travel West Yorkshire Forum today there are seven B7TL's due to arrive for Bath from First West Yorkshire with 30867 already here.

1905 Group

Possibly the reason for 32002/6/7 being with First Bristol for a while is due to the moves out of Bristol? With the pair (or was it four) E400s to Weston and the Tridents to Bath, perhaps there is a temporary shortage which will be filled by the aforementioned Yorkshire B7TL/ALX400s.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Possibly the reason for 32002/6/7 being with First Bristol for a while is due to the moves out of Bristol? With the pair (or was it four) E400s to Weston and the Tridents to Bath, perhaps there is a temporary shortage which will be filled by the aforementioned Yorkshire B7TL/ALX400s.

Ah that makes sense, thank you. Might also partially explain (and forgot to mention) why LH based 42901 was working the 75 yesterday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For what it's worth, if eleven single deck buses are indeed expected this yeat, then my guess is that they will be for Bath.

ooo

Does anyone know when the Hybrid Enviro 400s for the 72 will enter service?

THarris123

Established Member
Ah that makes sense, thank you. Might also partially explain (and forgot to mention) why LH based 42901 was working the 75 yesterday.
For what it's worth, if eleven single deck buses are indeed expected this yeat, then my guess is that they will be for Bath.

Bath is the most sensible option I admit, but there isn't much that 11 singles can go on.

If they are solos, then obviously Bath will get them, but the likelihood is that they'll be Streetlites. The only places they could be placed are 14, 5, 231 or in Westbury. None of these really match a PVR of 11 very well. So i think they may go to Weston and end up on 7, which should displace the 54/55 reg B7s to MH and Wells to send some 02 reg B7s elsewhere.

Of course it could be that Bristol get 28 deckers and the 11 singles and then 11 deckers head to Bath for X39.
Looks like some B10s will be converted to training vehicles, according to Mr White.

Obs today:
376 35161/2/3/4/5/6
173 69438/46
174 69447/57
375 69441/8/40 (?)
161 42968
Depot 69443, 35160
126 60912/3, 66720

No signs of the solo and I didn't see 69442 - maybe still in Bath?

Currently on 60913 to Weston - horrible vehicle - bit more comfortable than 48217, but still pretty painful - seems like there's no suspension left and there's horrible rattles everywhere, but at least it looks cleaner than when at Bildgwater.

Class 33

Established Member
Specifically made a journey on the 72 today hoping to get one of these new double deckers. And a bloody Streetlite turned up! Don't know if any of them are on there today, as I seen two going the other way and they were both the usual single deckers. Maybe there might be one or two of them on the service during the week. Might try and get a ride on one on Monday if I can.

I note the branding on these for the 72 says the route is UWE, Gloucester Road, Whiteladies Road, and City Centre. Makes me think again when an earth is the Romney Avenue Bus Link going to finally open and the 72 runs via there and Lockleaze?! Also make think that Lockleaze could have a more direct bus service to the Centre. It is only served by the single decker 24 which runs via Stapleton Road, which must take ages at peak times, and is probably packed. Compared with years ago when it was served by the 21, 22, & 23, all of which were double decker services.

vicbury

There was a notice on the Dart which I was on in Bath yesterday that the funding for late journeys on the 37 has been reinstated and therefore they will no longer be withdrawn.

Can't see any such notice on First's website..

Also it seems to me that Bath has kept some of its worst Darts - I wonder why?
Bath is the most sensible option I admit, but there isn't much that 11 singles can go on.

If they are solos, then obviously Bath will get them, but the likelihood is that they'll be Streetlites. The only places they could be placed are 14, 5, 231 or in Westbury. None of these really match a PVR of 11 very well. So i think they may go to Weston and end up on 7, which should displace the 54/55 reg B7s to MH and Wells to send some 02 reg B7s elsewhere.

Of course it could be that Bristol get 28 deckers and the 11 singles and then 11 deckers head to Bath for X39.

What are the PVRs of the 5 and 14?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There was a notice on the Dart which I was on in Bath yesterday that the funding for late journeys on the 37 has been reinstated and therefore they will no longer be withdrawn.

PVRs are 5 and 10 respectively.

Mention of 37 cut is here. Funding was pulled some months ago apparently.

http://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-b...dates/news/service-changes-bristol-10-january

THarris123

Established Member

That notice is on practically all the Bath buses - I had it on 47546 on 379 this morning reading the same.

They've sent the best Darts to Essex - would you send 42903 that rattles itself to pieces when it stops or a nice smooth running 42911?

PVR of 5 is definitely 5, but not quite sure on 14. Is it 9 or 10?
Had a lovely ride back home from Weston via Bristol on 33414 and 35163.

I believe I saw 44915 working the 3 in Weston. Can anyone confirm?

Dart today on 8/9 too and 42958 on 36
Specifically made a journey on the 72 today hoping to get one of these new double deckers. And a bloody Streetlite turned up! Don't know if any of them are on there today, as I seen two going the other way and they were both the usual single deckers. Maybe there might be one or two of them on the service during the week. Might try and get a ride on one on Monday if I can.

I note the branding on these for the 72 says the route is UWE, Gloucester Road, Whiteladies Road, and City Centre. Makes me think again when an earth is the Romney Avenue Bus Link going to finally open and the 72 runs via there and Lockleaze?! Also make think that Lockleaze could have a more direct bus service to the Centre. It is only served by the single decker 24 which runs via Stapleton Road, which must take ages at peak times, and is probably packed. Compared with years ago when it was served by the 21, 22, & 23, all of which were double decker services.

I think they're going to be in use from Monday - if not it'll be the following Monday

Last edited:

vicbury

That notice is on practically all the Bath buses - I had it on 47546 on 379 this morning reading the same.

They've sent the best Darts to Essex - would you send 42903 that rattles itself to pieces when it stops or a nice smooth running 42911?

PVR of 5 is definitely 5, but not quite sure on 14. Is it 9 or 10?

I think I had 42903 the other day and it was no longer doing that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Eleven Streetlites could make sense for the 14 then as it would allow one or two to be spare.

THarris123

Established Member
I think I had 42903 the other day and it was no longer doing that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Eleven Streetlites could make sense for the 14 then as it would allow one or two to be spare.

Guess you're right - 11 would suit the PVR of 10 on 14 - which would actually mean that I was right in saying that the darts are a temporary replacement :)
I meant that there is no mention on First's website that the 37 is no longer being cut. But thanks :)

I would have thought the PVR of the 14 would be higher, shows what I know!

When you think about the 14 it's only about a 20 min round trip on the south end, so it's not really going to be very high.

CD

No signs of the solo and I didn't see 69442 - maybe still in Bath?

69442 was in Wells Wednesday and today I had it on 1545 174 from Bath.
53401 was in the workshop at Wells at 0930 this morning and parked by the fueller at 1745.
According to the Travel West Yorkshire Forum today there are seven B7TL's due to arrive for Bath from First West Yorkshire with 30867 already here.

Today 30867 was spare at Bath bus station, 30857 on 15 all day.

No sign of the 5 B7RLEs in Bath on loan from Wrightbus. With the 3 Scania/Solars and at least 2 Ex First West Yorkshire B7TLs there now have they moved on? Anyone know?

THarris123

Established Member
53401 was in the workshop at Wells at 0930 this morning and parked by the fueller at 1745.

No sign of the 5 B7RLEs in Bath on loan from Wrightbus. With the 3 Scania/Solars and at least 2 Ex First West Yorkshire B7TLs there now have they moved on? Anyone know?

Thanks for that.

I saw one of the white B7s in Bristol yesterday.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

30857 already captured on "film" https://flic.kr/p/CvtGe1

Private Baxter

Established Member

I like to think that Weston's 7 would get something new, but agree that the 14 is more likely. In truth of course it could be anything, and as 2015 told us, nothing is set in stone until almost the end. The orders haven't been officially announced yet.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I like to think that Weston's 7 would get something new, but agree that the 14 is more likely. In truth of course it could be anything, and as 2015 told us, nothing is set in stone until almost the end. The orders haven't been officially announced yet.

We can tie ourselves up in knots with speculation - we've had them going to Weston or to Bath!! :?

You're right to be cautious, PB. The e400s were due for the 42-45, then to the 48/49 and then to the 1/2. Half of Bath's 2014 Streetlites were diverted to MH and the remainder were initially allocated to the 5 before being put on the 178/379.

Also, the magical figure of 11...been here before with the Wells B7s and the 265. JF and his team will know where they'll go sure enough.

freetoview33

Established Member
We can tie ourselves up in knots with speculation - we've had them going to Weston or to Bath!! :?

You're right to be cautious, PB. The e400s were due for the 42-45, then to the 48/49 and then to the 1/2. Half of Bath's 2014 Streetlites were diverted to MH and the remainder were initially allocated to the 5 before being put on the 178/379.

Also, the magical figure of 11...been here before with the Wells B7s and the 265. JF and his team will know where they'll go sure enough.

Well they know where they were planned for! If they end up there is another thing.

THarris123

Established Member
30857 already captured on "film" https://flic.kr/p/CvtGe1

That's on 265 - I didn't think deckers could be used on that and if they can I wonder if deckers will become a norm on 265?

Agree it could be different by Christmas and First do seem to like the magical figure of 11. If the single decker order doesn't change, they'll probably be for 14, W7 or some of the MH routes.

matt_splat

Aled works for First in Bath i'd expect its a simple playing with destinations deckers did once work the 265 of old to frome but i can't see it happening these days

Private Baxter

Established Member
That's on 265 - I didn't think deckers could be used on that and if they can I wonder if deckers will become a norm on 265?

Agree it could be different by Christmas and First do seem to like the magical figure of 11. If the single decker order doesn't change, they'll probably be for 14, W7 or some of the MH routes.

It is of course quite fun to speculate, but dare I say it, we've had nothing like an official announcement from First regarding deliveries for this year. The vehicles mentioned in that article might make up just part of the overall order for the year.

That said, I don't know which MH routes would be considered for new buses. The 14 reg streetlites were the first new buses delivered to that depot since the mid 90s! But then again I don't use their routes very often so I'm not in the know.

jw

Unsure if this has been covered here before, but I've been browsing the TravelWest site which covers the bids for more bio buses.

If successful, Lawrence Hill will gain the infrastructure to support new bio buses. 80 Euro 3 vehicles would be replaced, with the remaining 30 forming First's bids for MetroBus routes (alongside another 25 procured by First outside of the bid).

The maps suggest that the 80 new buses would work services 6, 7, 17/17a, 42, 43, 44, 45, 48 and 49.

No idea when the results of this bid will be announced - does anyone have any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Naishy

The 50 low emission buses may be the ones having SCR fitted rather than new vehicles. The 11 single decks could possibly be 63068-78 at Bath.

THarris123

Established Member
The 50 low emission buses may be the ones having SCR fitted rather than new vehicles. The 11 single decks could possibly be 63068-78 at Bath.

Could be. We'll have to wait for the news of the official order (which will probably come about June!)
Unsure if this has been covered here before, but I've been browsing the TravelWest site which covers the bids for more bio buses.

If successful, Lawrence Hill will gain the infrastructure to support new bio buses. 80 Euro 3 vehicles would be replaced, with the remaining 30 forming First's bids for MetroBus routes (alongside another 25 procured by First outside of the bid).

The maps suggest that the 80 new buses would work services 6, 7, 17/17a, 42, 43, 44, 45, 48 and 49.

No idea when the results of this bid will be announced - does anyone have any idea?

I was going to say that it's interesting that 73 and X74 haven't been included in that list - but they're pretty much covered by Metrobus, as is the 90 which probably explains a bit why they got new buses. The bid probably explains why the E400s were diverted away from 42-45 and 48-49 (and due to Wessex's competition on 1 too).

diffywood

looking at http://travelwest.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/lebs-west-of-england-bid.pdf you are right aboute the routes to get the buses